Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Seriously? Have you not seen any of the many "look how dumb Obama is" chess cartoons Cagle has allowed published over the years? Just punch "Obama bad chess" into google and you'll get like tons.

No, no, I get that.
It's just, I thought that traditionally, CHESS was spelled with SS at the end, rather than ST.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Captain_Maclaine posted:

You're not much of a reader, are you?

I think he's making a joke about me, dude.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

tacodaemon posted:

I actually am familiar with both the Soviet national anthem and the song "Georgia On My Mind" (most famously recorded in 1960 by Ray Charles) and I can't figure out how in the gently caress to fit those lyrics to either of them.

e: added links for the benefit of the thread

There are many controversial things that can be said about the Soviet union, but I think everyone can agree that they had one of the coolest sounding anthems in the history of the world.

colonel_korn posted:

Gonna be a lot of these coming down the pipe in the next day or so. I'm awaiting Ramirez' contribution with bated breath. I wonder how many cartoons will actually make a concrete suggestion about what the US should be doing? Just kidding, of course none of them will.

Drawing Obama looking smug with his eyes closed really kills the joke in this comic. He's supposed to be brain dead, so he should have a silly look on his or something.

And where does the Obama = arrogant meme even come from? Has he ever done or said anything that makes him appear anymore egotistical than every other politician and president that came before him?

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

Pretty sure their current anthem has the same melody as the old soviet anthem.

E: beat pretty hard.

FaradayCage fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Mar 4, 2014

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Lance Streetman posted:

I think he's making a joke about me, dude.

Soon this thread will devour itself and we can all be at peace.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

And where does the Obama = arrogant meme even come from? Has he ever done or said anything that makes him appear anymore egotistical than every other politician and president that came before him?

He's black and thinks he can tell whites what to do.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Necroneocon posted:

Whenever people posts without comics (except myself, and you of course), I imagine Macklemore making every post: A bunch of pampered male white straight liberals sharing their bad opinions and rushing to point out Obama's big purple lips!!! Or this is Racist!! While ignoring the other -ists and -isms that these political cartoons have. I'm a black female and pretty much every time someone does a thing, it's annoying.
How about specifics instead of whining about vague nonexamples? This thread happily shits on milquetoast liberals like Day and Animal Nuz guy, but god knows we're frequently oblivious to a lot of crap. By all means, point out whatever we're missing. This is the thread that gets in derails over weather vanes, so we're not exactly razor sharp here. You might say we're willfully dense :v:

This is second time you've loudly sighed about stupid, white liberals in this thread, which is to say you're complaining about the painfully obvious and hardly adding anything more to the conversation than the posts complaining about racist Obama caricatures. The thread is always in dire need of more interesting viewpoints than tired memes, so by all means share with us your perspective on these cartoons.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

A frequently used photo of Obama in right-wing circles has him with eyes closed and head tilted back, looking vaguely smug:

This was exploited in the context of the "Barack-star" conservative memes during his first presidential run, and never really died away, since it plays into heuristic stereotypes of Obama as aloof, intellectual, egotistical, and uppity. There are now a variety of images of Obama, usually taken mid-blink or while he's emoting exaggeratedly in response to something, used to demonstrate this supposed lack of empathy or connection to real america.

Stevoblunt
Mar 12, 2008

Necroneocon posted:

Since you're on the topic of banning things, you should ban people PBF'ing cartoons and everyone that talked about Penny Arcade a few pages back that accused them of being terrible nerds (which they are) but for petty reasons, but didn't mention the ACTUAL reason why people hate them: The whole dickwolves raping thing and how they continued to defend it and be misogynist. Because, you know, male goons.

Whenever people posts without comics (except myself, and you of course), I imagine Macklemore making every post: A bunch of pampered male white straight liberals sharing their bad opinions and rushing to point out Obama's big purple lips!!! Or this is Racist!! While ignoring the other -ists and -isms that these political cartoons have. I'm a black female and pretty much every time someone does a thing, it's annoying.

Am I being trolled with this? What does Macklemore have to do with the content of peoples posts? Your a black female, so people pointing out obviously racist imagery is not ok? Huh? Hey guys, I'm gay, stop pointing out the rampant homophobia in Lester's comics, you pampered male white straight liberals :argh:

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

Necroneocon posted:

Since you're on the topic of banning things, you should ban people PBF'ing cartoons

The great thing about getting to the front page is that all the new meat in the thread are taking the AGCing at face value.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Stevoblunt posted:

you pampered male white straight liberals :argh:

Its true, its really all my fault. Sorry about that guys :(

Neremworld
Dec 3, 2007

by exmarx
I'm starting to get the idea that Muir learned how to write a parody from the guys who made Date Movie and Epic Movie.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

There are many controversial things that can be said about the Soviet union, but I think everyone can agree that they had one of the coolest sounding anthems in the history of the world.

Drawing Obama looking smug with his eyes closed really kills the joke in this comic. He's supposed to be brain dead, so he should have a silly look on his or something.

He's black and that's pretty much it. Honestly superficial examinations of right wing pathos against Obama is probably best because you don't want to stare too deep in to that abyss.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

the_steve posted:

No, no, I get that.
It's just, I thought that traditionally, CHESS was spelled with SS at the end, rather than ST.

It is a joke about Putin being shirtless in his image shots, while making a dominos/chess comparison, while pointing out that about every move Putin has made in the past 2 years to deal with former empire states has blown up in his face.

Thomas13206
Jun 18, 2013

Stevoblunt posted:

you pampered male white straight liberals :argh:

David Vitter's not a liberal!

Thomas13206
Jun 18, 2013

the_steve posted:

No, no, I get that.

Things we can't handle:

Jokes about shirtless Putin

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Stevoblunt posted:

Am I being trolled with this? What does Macklemore have to do with the content of peoples posts? Your a black female, so people pointing out obviously racist imagery is not ok? Huh? Hey guys, I'm gay, stop pointing out the rampant homophobia in Lester's comics, you pampered male white straight liberals :argh:

Ugh. Her point was that shouting "purple lips, racist!" oversimplifies the problem and is really boring commentary for cartoons that could really use some harsher criticism, and I agree.

But I'm not going to ban stupid posting, because that's impossible to do, especially in a thread with as big a readership as this one. I can still do my best to shame stupid posters, though. I remember a time where Umberto Eco got posted every single day in D&D until enough people got annoyed to say how boring that was.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

cafel posted:

Soon this thread will devour itself and we can all be at peace.

No Metroids here; don't get your hopes up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls5uo4xidwQ

In the grim darkness of 2014, there is only hate and suffering. It only gets worse.

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

The Worldwide Deadly Gangster Communist President

Neremworld posted:

I'm starting to get the idea that Muir learned how to write a parody from the guys who made Date Movie and Epic Movie.

Come now, I think you're being unfair to Friedburg and Seltzer.

... Why did I type that? What is this thread doing to me? :psyduck:

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

StealthArcher posted:

Come on Muir, there's nothing in here to even parody. Good Lord how boring.

So the Grail, which gives eternal life, is gun control, only it's full of Kool-Aid, but oh I guess that's the false Grail and so the real Grail is giving everyone guns, probably? But the false Grail is the one defended by the Templar, except now the false Grails are politicians? And Nazis are hipsters, but Hot Wife 2 is a Nazi, and the Southern Strategy is the Staff of Ra from an entirely different movie. Aha, so that means Ted Cruz is Marcus Brody and some guy named "Spazz Twelve" is Qui-Gon Jinn!! I understand. I understand now :shepface:

What the gently caress is Harry Reid doing playing the piano.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

That picture doesn't really look smug to me; it looks more like he’s blinking during a nod or about to sneeze. But I understand what you’re saying.

I’m not sure what I was expecting. I guess I was hoping that it was based on something at least partly logical.

Examples: “Conservatives call Obama arrogant because he never stops bragging about his collection of faberge eggs” or “Conservatives call Obama arrogant because he refuses to drink anything except purebred chinchilla milk.”

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Mar 4, 2014

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

That picture doesn't really look smug to me; it looks more like he’s blinking during a nod or about to sneeze. But I understand what you’re saying.

I’m not sure what I was expecting. I guess I was hoping that it was based on something at least partly logical.

Examples: “Conservatives call Obama arrogant because he never stops bragging about his collection faberge eggs” or “Conservatives call Obama arrogant because he refuses to drink anything except purebred chinchilla milk.”
There was the dijon mustard incident. And arugula, I think.

Of course, you can get both those things at most grocery stores, and I've seen Walmart-brand dijon, but still. Fancy names.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Examples: “Conservatives call Obama arrogant because he never stops bragging about his collection faberge eggs” or “Conservatives call Obama arrogant because he refuses to drink anything except purebred chinchilla milk.”

There was this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQYHHklRBtY

Yes, seriously.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

TVs Ian posted:

Of course, you can get both those things at most grocery stores, and I've seen Walmart-brand dijon, but still. Fancy names.

When I was a kid I thought the Grey Poupon limousine commercials meant it was actually high-class stuff and I was convinced my family was rich because I found some in our fridge once after that. Given that conservatives are absolutely horrible at telling when things are sincere, maybe they think dijon mustard is only for rich people too based on the commercials.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Stevoblunt posted:

There's a certain degree of ironic humor in Necroneocon complaining about bad opinions given her tastes in video games, but I'm pretty sure her complaint is about how many posters just go "That's racist!" without anything more substantial than that.

Thomas13206
Jun 18, 2013

TVs Ian posted:

The only clip of Duck Dynasty I've ever seen was this heavily staged bit of them going to a coffee shop in some godforsaken suburban mall & acting taken aback by obviously scripted dudes ordering "mochas" and "lattes", complete with a cutaway interview of one of the turdy sons making a horrifed face and saying "We don't belong here... I don't even know what a latte IS!". Of course these dudes raised by millionaires in the '80s and '90s know what a loving latte is, just like every suburbanite piece of poo poo Republican watching the show knows what a latte is. My mom lives in a town of less than 1,000 people in rural South Carolina and you can buy a "latte" at the lovely gas station for gently caress's sake. The whoel thing really summed up right-wing culture wars to me - a show about millionaire fake hillbillies pretending not to know what a latte is, watched by middle and lower class fake hillbillies pretending not to know what a latte is, all patting themselves on the back for this thing that isn't actually the case.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

Basically the richest black president we've ever had.

I bet he doesn't even park in a carhole like the rest of us average Joes The Plumbers.

Thomas13206
Jun 18, 2013

Small Frozen Thing posted:

There's a certain degree of ironic humor in Necroneocon complaining about bad opinions given her tastes in video games, but I'm pretty sure her complaint is about how many posters just go "That's racist!" without anything more substantial than that.

I don't know this poster personally but I get mildly annoyed a lot of the time at some folks in this thread who obviously REALLY gleefully love pointing out the ugly, obvious racism of some of the thread's repeat offenders. I get the sense a big part of that is white dudes feeling proud about catching something undeniably bigoted & lovely without having to engage in the more difficult & complicated process of questioning their own thoughts or privilege or whatever. White liberals love to take examples of obvious bigotry and say, "here it is, we caught it, it's all contained within this Glenn McCoy cartoon of Obama with a bone through his nose, and I'm one of the good ones, so now lay off the anger on me okay??!!" Manufactured outrage about cartoons of Oprah's big lips or Gawker scouring twitter for people who disapprove of interracial marriage provides an easy way for white liberals to feel better about themselves. And that sucks, but considering 99% of the country is worse it's hard for me to really get too bugged about it. Y'all are mostly good, well-meaning folks.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

So the Grail, which gives eternal life, is gun control, only it's full of Kool-Aid, but oh I guess that's the false Grail and so the real Grail is giving everyone guns, probably? But the false Grail is the one defended by the Templar, except now the false Grails are politicians? And Nazis are hipsters, but Hot Wife 2 is a Nazi, and the Southern Strategy is the Staff of Ra from an entirely different movie. Aha, so that means Ted Cruz is Marcus Brody and some guy named "Spazz Twelve" is Qui-Gon Jinn!! I understand. I understand now :shepface:

You've done it. You've solved the riddle of the Muir. Your reward is the sweet release of death.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Kicks the hell out of ours.

Why can't we just make America the Beautiful our anthem or something, christ our anthem is lovely

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I would trade our anthem melody for Russia's any day. It's pretty awesome.

Thomas13206
Jun 18, 2013
National anthems are for fascists and blackshirts. :911:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Slobodan Milsevic singing the anthem.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

JT Jag posted:

Kicks the hell out of ours.

Why can't we just make America the Beautiful our anthem or something, christ our anthem is lovely

I vote for a lyrically-altered Battle Hymn of the Republic myself

The Wizard of Oz
Feb 7, 2004

Hey, Ken Catalino's updating, once a week on Sundays. Lets him really put the effort in that his work deserves, you know?

2014-02-24

2014-03-02

Look at that, he drew/traced a running guy and only recycled everything else in just two weeks of work! What a good boy!

The Soviet national anthem was pretty great, you guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Thls_tMuFkc

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

tacodaemon posted:

I actually am familiar with both the Soviet national anthem and the song "Georgia On My Mind" (most famously recorded in 1960 by Ray Charles) and I can't figure out how in the gently caress to fit those lyrics to either of them.

It doesn't fit the Soviet/Russian national anthem at all. It's a bit of a stretch, but you can make it fit Hymn to Red October, which lots of idiots think is the Soviet national anthem.

I'd bet a decent chunk of money that Ramirez is one of them.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Post 9-11 User posted:

No Metroids here; don't get your hopes up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls5uo4xidwQ

In the grim darkness of 2014, there is only hate and suffering. It only gets worse.

No joke I can get a box of 150 samosas for £12.50 down the road from where I work. West Brom is great for things like that.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I vote for a lyrically-altered Battle Hymn of the Republic myself

Godiva's Hymn?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godiva%27s_Hymn

Delpino
May 12, 2001
Forum Veteran

Drone_Fragger posted:

No joke I can get a box of 150 samosas for £12.50 down the road from where I work. West Brom is great for things like that.

Samoas, not samosas. It's a Girl Scout cookie reference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

:wow:

Done in response to this story.

• Locked thread