Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Cross-posting from the daily drawings thread.

Some fan-art I did for 'Hello from the Magic Tavern', which seems like the kind of thing that people around here would like.

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jan 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
To contrast the above, how about something tiny:

Planning to start a new 5e campaign with a new group next week, so I made a little avatar for my dude, Shiv 'Bad JuJu' Nukkson, Orc Bard.

It's like they had Orcs in mind when they made the bard class. Skills that let me straight up intimidate and debuff entire groups? Check. Insult so hard they deal actual damage? Check. Laugh off bladed damage because you're hard as gently caress? Check. Slam down a power chord so loving righteous that it knocks everything away and deals thunder damage? check.

Eventually they can even summon clouds of daggers and heat metal to red-hot temperatures by rocking the gently caress out, or just straight up shatter motherfuckers with sound. That might be more 'metal' than rockabilly, but Shiv Nukkson is a man of many talents.

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Mar 26, 2016

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
More pixels - made the rest of the party. The background is from an old project of mine.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

djwetmouse posted:

Do you do pixel art for a living cause those look great?

I wish - maybe I'll practice animating some and see if I can wrangle some talent from the gamedev subforum or something.

Anyway - one more from last night.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Heyyyy I made one of each class. Now to get around to making both genders for each.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

DarkLich posted:

Those are great! I thought the dwarf cleric was a fighter until I got to the next row, but then it quickly sorted itself out.

Hehe, probably should have put him with the other dudes in heavy armor, would have made more sense. Clerics are tricky though, They get plate. weapons AND magic so it's tricky to figure what to focus on when it comes to pixels.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

SunAndSpring posted:

The lady dwarf better have a beard too.

Initially she did, but once you've got a beard on a dwarf, at pixel scale, there's pretty much 0% chance of recognizing it as female :(

But I'm planning on making variants of everything eventually, and bearded ladies are definitely on that list.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Slow day, did a quick sketch of our lvl 2 party so far.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
So I'm in the preliminary planning for a West Marches campaign, and I like to draw while I brainstorm encounters and ideas for stuff to discover. Here's the starting point / home base for the players to set out from and hopefully return to. The perspective ain't perfect, but I'm still pretty happy with it.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Just finished up the colors on this one today, it's the interior of the Inn I poster earlier.

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Feb 21, 2017

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
I'm still trying to figure out what else to put on the signs above the bar, but my brain is fried at the moment. Suggestions?

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Golden Bee posted:

"KILSON'S: YOU ALL MEET HERE"

I'm afraid the reference goes over my head - is that a reference to 'Here's a health'?

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Been working on another one - Figured Azers would be pretty into body modifications.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
I started working on the 'map' for my West Marches game. Still working out what to put on it, I've only just started carving junk into it.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Crossposting from the pixel art thread - I'm starting a new little project where I'm designing printable enemies for tabletop play, and I'm starting with Orcs. I figure that most casual DMs don't have specific miniatures for each encounter, so they wind up using whatever is handy to substitute as enemy tokens. I want to design a healthy roster of enemies that could be printed on demand instead of paying $4 for a plastic orc that you might use once or twice per campaign.

Anyway, here's what I've made so far - if you were designing an encounter, is there any kind of orc that you don't see here that you'd like to?

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Mar 3, 2019

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Grand Prize Winner posted:

I'd buy those for a couple bucks, especially if you included some bigger versions that so I could print 'em on shrinky dink paper and bake 'em.

That's step....I'm not really sure, I'm still on step one but that's definitely in the planning stages! I need a suitable horde of monsters first, though.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

These are amazing and I would love to see some of the more esoteric races like gith in that form, that said a Wargmaster would be cool and maybe an ogre as the orc's backup.

I'm going to be making more generic foes first, Orcs, Goblins, Undead, Maybe kobolds, etc. Stuff that people frequently use but aren't really worth dropping $$ on when it comes to tabletop figures. Once I've got those, though, then I'm going to plough ahead with some more fun, obscure stuff.

Mystic Mongol posted:

The beastmaster, with the spiked whip or the length of chain that has a hook on the end.

Edit - Bam! I might take another pass at him tomorrow and make him less handsome, but ain't no rule saying Orcs can't be tens. I'll probably do something else with that chain as well, but not bad for version 1.0

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Mar 2, 2019

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Here's your bangboi

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Mar 2, 2019

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
After the orcs, started on some Zommos - think I've got a good assortment of 'basic', gonna start mixing it up with some armaments next.

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Mar 22, 2019

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Added another few zommos with armor. I'm working on some turned undead villagers/townsfolk next, and then on to skeletons but what other undead units am I forgetting? Suggestions?

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
More zommos, screamlady, miniboss, boss boss, and boss lady.

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Apr 12, 2019

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Moving on from undead, now I'm makin' bandits. I think I'll make a couple ladies then some more pirate-y ones next.

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Apr 19, 2019

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Does anyone have any Nepali/Tibetan-style fantasy art? Indian fantasy art would also work fine, but I'm looking for those in particular.

Are you familiar with Kill 6 Billion Demons? Because you absolutely should be.

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Apr 20, 2019

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Still knockin' out pixel art mini things, compiled 'em into big 'ol messes.

Also an undead bear, and currently working on big-rear end bugs.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

my cat is norris posted:

Where can we download the individual files?

I've been putting them in the pixel art thread, should be able to find most of the individual ones here. Going to make a website for them all eventually, the plan is to have built in functionality so you can select which ones you want (and add in some palette/weapon/gear options for some) and output a PDF with double-sided print ready minis, but that's a long way off. For now I'm just padding out the menagerie, and I'll figure out how to code later. Haven't touched code since an old flash course back in college.

Right now I'm still working on bugs and beasties, but what should I add next? I'm trying to think of what enemies people would need cheap/free minis for most often.

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 00:29 on May 20, 2019

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

my cat is norris posted:

Do some of the classics! Ooze/jelly/slimes, gelatinous cubes, beholders, owlbears, cockatrices, dragons, hydras, elementals, griffins, lycanthropes...

Weretigers and werewolves and other weres could make for a diverse and interesting series!

Already got a (legally distinct) beholder over here! I made it a little more Eldritch than usual, but things that reproduce by having nightmares shouldn't be 'beholden' to a consistent anatomy anyway.

Anyway, I update the pixel thread more often than this one, but I'll do a dump over here anytime I finish a horde of one thing or another.

Edit - Metal Spoidey

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 08:22 on May 20, 2019

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Google "Scoia'tael concept" for some pretty drat shifty elves.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Latest Batch - Beeman, a few more spiders, owlbears and a couple of slimes. It's pretty easy to adjust the color for whatever type of slime is necessary, and I'm still tweaking everything, of course.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Takin' a break from Pixels to draw up my DnD character, Dolf Vadim, half-orc Monk.

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jun 4, 2019

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Beads?

(Currently trying to figure out what a Queen is going to look like. )

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jun 8, 2019

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Queen! (and the others again, 'cause they look better together)

Since I'm still on an insect kick, I think Rust Monster is next up.
Edit - Here we go. Pillbug supremacy.

Double Edit - Gobbo time

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jun 17, 2019

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Are my eyes crazy or did you mix in some greens and reds on that pillbug shell to make it look iridescent? That's a neat effect.

Actually it's just browns - some more red tinted, some more yellow, buuuuuut that's a neat idea! I think I'll go back to it and see if I can tweak it for more irridescence. Something that eats metal outght to be shiny af.

Actually....that gives me a cool idea. I think I might just make the big pillbug a....big pillbug, and maybe make the Rust Monster look like some kind of awesome Bismuth crystal infused hermit crab thingy.

Edit- Boom

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jun 17, 2019

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I hope you're monetizing this stuff in literally any way.

That's the plan, once I've got a healthy roster, and once the goblins are finished I think that'll be a good enough base to move on to developing the website. I'm planning to set it up so that you can select the enemies you need, and then have it rendered as a printable pdf. So if you're DM'ing, you can just select 3 goblins or 5 skeletons or whatever you need, print them out, and with 5 minutes of cutting/gluing be good to go.

Long term, I want to have them available as images suspended in resin-casts, like a clear domino with a cool monster in the middle that can be set on a base. I've got a lot of kinks to work out, and that's where the $$ kicks in. You can print whatever you need for free, but if you want to have something a little nicer, you can buy the resin prints.

They're also not really designed for top-down play, but I'll see about putting some packs up on Roll20 as well.

Edit - BOOM ZAP *fffft* *twang* *mumble*

Double Edit - All together now!

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jun 20, 2019

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Crossposting from the pixel art thread - hope this still counts as fantasy art.

So I'm at the stage where I want to start designing the website for all these little dudes, and I figured that the Header/Logo would be a good place to start. I can knock out little pixel dudes all day no problem, but logo design is a biiiiiiiitch. This is the product of like 3 days worth of starts, stops, redesigns and tweaking, but I think I'm finally happy with it. I want the whole website to have a very mid 90s-ish fantasy RPG aesthetic, and I wanted the name to look like the title screen of a game that I'd like to play, and I think I've just about got it where I want it.

(Full disclosure I just nicked the background from the title screen of Evoland, but it's just a placeholder for now. I love the colors and I'm going to make something very similar)

Edit - WIP so far -

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Jul 1, 2019

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
If you liked any of the pixel art I've posted, then you might want to check out the finished site!

Here's a very good boy to pay the art tax -

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Dr. Lunchables posted:

You mind if I put that link in the OP?

Sure! Go for it.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Do you have an/any appropriately kickass piece of art to post as a link?

or

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Dr. Lunchables posted:

I used both and attributed you. Hopefully people check the OP...

I also made a thread, in case people want to discuss anything specific to the site.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Moriatti posted:

Did you make that background?

If so, it may be worth considering a papercraft terrain branch at some point.

Yup, I made everything!

But yeah, maybe I'll throw together a couple terrain textures sometime, they're just so boooooring to make....

EDIT - Have some cultists!

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Sep 5, 2019

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

ZearothK posted:

This is the good stuff.

Thanks! We just got the mobile version running, and added the Cultists in yesterday. More variants of them coming soon!

Anyway, I hate to beg, but the site is still in it's infancy - If you like our stuff, follow us on twitter @MinisRetrograde and share us around wherever it is you share stuff, every little bit helps!

We're going to offer a special Halloween set soon, so look forward to that.

In the spirit of the upcoming holiday, have some cultists!

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Sep 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Pumpkin season!