Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Polo-Rican posted:

I think it's Dark Souls 2

That's true in my case at least, I'd been having a blast with EDF every day until DS2 came out. Here's hoping that people come back to EDF later on, I know I will.

DrManiac posted:

I always loved the idea of RAD (it's basically Tetsujin 28 the videogame right?)

Almost: Tetsujin 28 is Tetsujin 28 the videogame, unsurprisingly also by Sandlot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
Chōsōjū Mecha MG

On preview: beaten so here's this for content.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Casnorf posted:

Is it wrong that I am seriously considering triple dipping on this (EDF4 and 2025) and quadruple dipping if it gets localized?
Don't be silly, of course it's not.

Gotta love that ant fragment flying straight up at around 4'50" in the first video and back down 5" later.

Do the new spider webs still clip through buildings and trap you from the other side of the map?

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Doc Morbid posted:

Yeah. Bunch of assholes. :argh: I think they might have shorter range now, but I'm not certain.

Stelas posted:

From EDF4.1 wiki, roughly:

quote:

Monsters
- Additional types
- Retarius can no longer shoot through buildings

Wait, have they fixed this or not?

quote:

- No. of enemies increased

That swarm in the first video did seem larger than usual for the very first mission but I thought I was just misremembering. Sandlot still keeping their priorities straight :worship:

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

dis astranagant posted:

Why anyone would cite "framerate issues" as a problem in an EDF game is beyond me.
Yeah, if it's not dropping to single-digits you're playing it wrong :black101:

I played both the PS3 and 360 versions and to be honest didn't notice a game-ruining difference performance-wise, though I did not play split-screen. The 360 version does have the advantage of allowing simultaneous split-screen and online co-op, while the PS3 is either/or.

Still, last time it took more than 6 months before the localisation was done and AFAIK so far nobody confirmed 4.1 will be released in the West so I also say go for it.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
It was physically released as well, yes.

About self-inflicted damage, it seems to be percentage based: 100% damage in Inferno, 75% in Hardest, etc. I believe that's what says in the difficulty level selection screen. Could someone translate what else it says there? Also, is there no online audio chat in this one?

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

hamburgers in pockets posted:

I'm curious how exactly PS+ works with this. Do you all have JP PS+ subscriptions or can you play online just fine if you're playing this on a US account with an active PS+ subscription?

Buy with your JP account, download and install, log out and in to your PS+, play normally.

EDIT: Forgot to say, Japanese PS games have the O and X buttons functions swapped, so X is cancel and O is OK. All in-game and some OS menus use the Japanese convention, while other PS4 menus continue to behave as they do in the West.

Storm One fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Apr 7, 2015

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Brackhar posted:

[*] There's some texture popin when levels load, akin to older Unreal 3 titles.
To more than compensate for this though, missions load in about 5 seconds or less now. It's amazing how even better this game is now.
One of the things I'm surprised they didn't fix is making the items float when they fall in deep water. Annoying in levels like 81, which seems to be the one to farm in Inferno if you have an Air Raider with good shields and railgun.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
I've played a lot of online co-op games and not once I heard my teammates talking. IIRC, EDF4 had a ON/OFF option in the UI somewhere indicating which players had voice chat active. Did they remove chat completely or is this a PS4 thing I don't understand yet?

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
Playing almost everyday since the game came out, well over 100 hours total, and have had less than 5 disconnects and a couple of times where me or another player was freaking out teleporting during the first few seconds of a mission. Load times are excellent as noted above.

Re-iterating my weapon farming advice from earlier in the thread: sort missions by Inferno difficulty and look for people playing 81. It's a robot tripod-only level and even if you're starting fresh, if you're lucky enough to find an adequate set of teammates you don't need to kill anything, just survive (easy if the team has an Air Raider with good shields) and help in picking up items (bring down buildings to make this easier).
People usually play farming missions in repeat, so you can rotate classes and get a bunch of goodies, including the Lysander-Z (Lv 90) for the Ranger and the Lv 87 giant mech for the Air Raider.

Mission 92 is another favourite though a lot harder to execute correctly; if done properly you can leave 1 UFO alive and farm gold ants for as long as you like. A Wing Diver equipped with a good Rapier parked where the ants make contact with the ground makes short work of them.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
Speaking of sales, there is one this week for EU PSN with lots of Japanese titles, among which EDF 2025 (PS3) for €7 and 2017 Portable (Vita) for €4.50.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Marogareh posted:

For those that have 4.1, how is the online?

Quoting myself from the previous page:

Storm One posted:

Playing almost everyday since the game came out, well over 100 hours total, and have had less than 5 disconnects and a couple of times where me or another player was freaking out teleporting during the first few seconds of a mission.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Stelas posted:

The PS4 version basically runs perfectly, multiplayer now works, it's great

It should be clarified that perfectly in this game means that it still will occasionally slow down to literally single-digit fps, it's just much more rare than it used to be, and thus more gratifying when it happens. In this series, bringing hardware to its knees is a feature, not a bug.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
Have there been any announcements regarding EU release and cross-region online play?

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Mediocrity Goggles posted:

Online 4 player is where you're gonna see the good ol' sub-10 framerates frequently, so be prepared for that.

Only if there's some sort of networking issue specifically with the Western versions, as the Japanese 4.1's online seemed pretty solid in that regard IME.

It would indeed suck if it's Japan and Not-Japan again (or, worse still, JP, NA and EU), especially given they have a preset messaging system in place since 4; on the bright side, at least this time there'll be no playerbase split due to console.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Mr Phillby posted:

I wish PQube would hurry up and give us a release date for Europe. At this point I'm tempted to import but that might make DLC a pain.
Amazon UK says February 2016.

Talkc posted:

I basically just want to see what kind of hoops it would take my Australian friend to jump through to play this with me assuming the NA and EU versions dont share servers.

lets hang out posted:

He just needs a valid payment method for the region the account is in. Paypal, psn cards, something.
So if I get this right, one would need:
1. a new PSN account/username for the NA region,
2. a whole new PS+ subscription for the NA account, EDIT: scratch that, didn't need it for the JP version
3. to purchase the NA versions of game and DLC.

And after all that, the main game would be playable online with any PS+ enabled account, yet the DLC would always be restricted to the NA account, online or not.

Is this all correct or is there some loophole I don't know about?

Storm One fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Dec 2, 2015

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
Thanks for clarifying the DLC issue, I was afraid it being region-locked would add further restrictions re: PSN accounts.

Rice Digital still has it listed at Q4 2015, fwiw.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
All versions have offline split-screen co-op for 2 local players and single-screen online co-op for 1 local player; the 360 version is the only one to also support combined online + split-screen co-op (2 local + 2 online).

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

RadicalR posted:

Hopefully the PS4 one fixed this error.

If you're referring to split-screen online co-op: no, it doesn't, unless they added it on localisation which I very much doubt. When I said all versions I was talking about EDF4 (2025) for PS3/360, and EDF4.1 for PS4.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
Play-Asia also sells PSN cards but I prefer using credit card directly during purchase.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Day Man posted:

It's pretty epic, you can just walk through buildings and it has a huge armor value. It doesn't seem to have any attack options, though, sadly. You can punch, but it punches straight ahead, like 40 meters in the air. I believe it crushes ants and spiders if you step on them, but it's so slow that it's difficult to do. Does anyone know if it gets more useful later in the game?

You can aim down and punch the ground, that'll kill ants much quicker than stomping. A good enough walking fortress + mission 27 on Inferno (red ants only) is one of the common weapon farming methods. All classes can pilot the fortress, BTW, it's not restricted to Ranger and Air Raider like the other vehicles.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
^^ Either that or you input it one line at a time, it's in the ingame D-pad menu, under Shout > Sing.

Anyone else been having lots of disconnects? I've had more in less than a week than I ever had with the JP version.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Dirt Taco Scuba posted:

I have time to start 4.1, any tips for a EDF newbie ?

If playing online, notice how much health each of your teammates have before beginning the mission; if it's significantly more than you do, it's better to just die and wait for a revive than hogging health pickups.
Health pickups give a set relative amount of your max health back, and reviving a downed player takes away half of the rescuer current health while giving the equivalent absolute amount of HP to the rescued. So it's better to let players with higher HP do the bulk of the rescuing and then heal themselves by picking up the health drops afterwards.

Also, if your health bar isn't a solid light blue colour, it means you can't revive anyone until it gets above a certain threshold (25% of max, I reckon).

Avoid shooting the last enemy in a wave/mission unless you're certain it is OK to do so, other players might still be picking up loot or getting ready for the next wave.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Izno posted:

If you've ever played the air raider and wondered what the SDL bike is good for I have found the answer. (6:45 in the video)

Bikes are the best, doubly so when they only move in reverse. The plunge into the pit at 12:30 :allears:

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

I, Butthole posted:

I'm checking out the DLC later on to see if it will work with my overseas account
It does, just like the main game.

Kragger99 posted:

Is the new DLC only Very Hard and Inferno difficulty?
No, it has all 5 difficulties.

Weapon farming question: whatever happened to mission 92 (the gold ant UFO method)?

Missions 27 and 81 are still as much a hotbed as they were in the JP edition but I don't ever see people doing 92 anymore. Has it been changed for the NA version or something?

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Ultimate Mango posted:

Are weapons shared across character classes? I started with the regular soldier but I think wing diver looks like a lot of fun once you have some armor.

If you're talking about online mode, it doesn't matter what player and which class picks up the weapon and armour boxes, in the end all players get the same amount of weapons and armour for the class they're playing as regardless of which player/class collected the respective item.
So if you're playing as Ranger and your Wing Diver teammate is swooping everything up, in the end you'll get Ranger weapons and they get WD weapons, and both are credited the total amount of armour boxes (which do not translate into armour points equally for all classes).

Offline mode is different, see above.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
The Rule of God is in fact the genocide gun.

Where in that wiki are you reading that? I can't find any option to set the text to English.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
Whoa, that sure sucks. Didn't know it could even happen, thought it was only with completion medals.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

fritz posted:

DLC1 level 21 (the underground one with silver spiders) is great for armor farming.

DLC 21 is great for Inferno weapon farming; armour is better farmed offline in split-screen (for double the amount and 2 classes at once) on Easy in a level with UFOs or some other infinite enemy source.

EDIT: Though I suggest worrying about weapon farming first: you'll be forced to do it sooner or later, and while farming weapons you'll inevitably pick up some armour too. So yes, in that case DLC 21 is where you need to go.

Luminaflare posted:

Still getting disconnects.

It's not just you, it's been unplayable for me too.

Storm One fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Feb 13, 2016

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

fritz posted:

I absolutely do not have the patience for that variety of farming.

Neither do I but for straight armour farming it's the most effective.

If you want to reach 5 digits I reckon it's pretty much mandatory, my highest armour count is still only 4000 for the AR, and that's after way too many hours of killing deroys and red ants for weapons.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
In increasing order of difficulty of staying alive and loot quality: online missions 27, 81, and DLC1 21, on Inferno difficulty. There are always rooms with people farming at least one of these, just hop in one with a good team and help along.

EDIT: this is for EDF4.1.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Mr Newsman posted:

People say javelins rule, but all I have is javelin storm right now and I can't seem to really aim it very well.

Javelins rule for dash canceling, but it's the catapult you want, not the storm. They allow much faster movement than shield canceling, and last longer before needing reload: fire javelin, dash, fire, dash, etc. Also they have a jump like the gatling gun.

Storm One fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Feb 18, 2016

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

ElwoodCuse posted:

Whyyyyy do people try to farm 80 instead of this one. It's underground, it's small tunnels, it's terrible. But I always see people doing it.

Yeah, I never really liked 80 either. If you're farming a slow and hard mission for very few drops, might as well do 91 that at least has no upper cap on weapon level drops.

81 also drops lv90 weapons and it's easier, much quicker, gives you about 30 seconds after the last enemy is killed to pick up loot and, even with many drops ending up unrecoverable in the water, you'll still get more than on 80.
Plus if you're having trouble, you can significantly reduce risk of death by destroying the earth eater that spawns the small tripods in the last wave, allowing you to focus on the 2 big ones which if killed fast enough will end the mission prematurely.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Saint Freak posted:

Does anyone have the gif of the helicopter with sentries on its blades flying around shooting at everything?

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Skulleye posted:

I just completed the last mission of EDF 2 on the Vita as a ranger. Those last few missions were epic!

I can't wait to get further in EDF 2017 and 2025 to see how they manage to top it :-)

2017 is technically EDF 1: The Remake, so it won't actually be as crazy as 2.

2025 is utterly outclassed by 4.1, so if you can get the latter on Steam or PS4 soon just skip 2025 entirely.
Literally the only thing 2025 has going for it vs 4.1 is that the 360 version (but not the PS3 one) can do simultaneous split-screen and online co-op. Not that it that matters because online must surely be dead by now.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

HolyKrap posted:

here's a short video

You're doing the Lord's work.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

HolyKrap posted:

I've only played since 2025, have they removed classes before? I thought every EDF has just been an improvement over the last, adding more stuff

2 already had the WD and 3 (2017) didn't.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
Yeah, I don't think there's anything glitchy about dash canceling, it's the Fencer's side roll.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
Dash cancelling owns and while the Fencer might be my overall least favourite class, it's by far the most fun to move around with at ground level.

EthanSteele posted:

Dash Cancel but not attached to any particular weapons loadout, so its something like Set 1 is Dash Cancel and Set 2 is vertical jump or something would be neat but now that thei dea of Votoms rocket skates has been put in my brain I definitely want that.
:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
http://gematsu.com/2017/09/earth-defense-force-4-1-wing-diver-shooter-shoot-em-announced-ps4