Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Expect me to have an austism level meltdown if they use the VHS version of the PPVs and not the original feeds. Or, even worse, the loving 24/7 edits.

Kinda bummed their not offering on the AppleTV at launch but between the 360 and the Roku.

They also dodged a bullet by this not being on a PPV:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xtsyyn_chris-candido-vs-jamie-dundee-ecw-5-14-98_sport

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Call Me Charlie posted:

I thought it was, only that they couldn't say anything besides iOS devices in the advertising?

Its different from the iOS stuff(you only get whatever apps Apple packages in the updates) and I can't see Apple running out an update just to deploy the WWE Network.

I'm gonna replace it anyway because the thing is acting like a turd everytime I try to stream my NJPW iPPVs.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

projecthalaxy posted:

I'm probably going to watch Uncensored 1996 first because A) I am a dumb broken human being and B) I want to see what sort of quality they have on the old stuff.

same but Uncensored 1995 because that King of The Road match was a thing of beauty.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Dead Snoopy posted:

I'm wondering how royalties work with the past talent. You arguably have scripted drama segments in rotated reruns.

I imagine that's covered in the Legends contracts. But from the sounds of it, the guys that aren't under legends contracts are gonna get hosed.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Endless Mike posted:

Because it takes time to digitize stuff and no one wants to watch 15 year old episodes of Shotgun Saturday Night.

that some weird obsessive has already done and bootlegged.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Batista posted:

Did some house cleaning in the OP with some updated images.

Also, I know we can't take JR's word all that much but in his latest blog he mentions about the Hall of Fame that "Luckily I can watch it on the WWE Network as I understand it." Which tells me he's talked to someone that knows something. I would love for it to be on the network, live and uncut.

No HoF with crazy Warrior times, no buys.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

gypsyshred posted:

How are they going to edit out licensed music? Skip the part? Mute audio?

probably overdub. Or they had their lawyers find some loophole in new media(unlikely).

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

MassRafTer posted:

Directv was open to carrying the premium version of the network. Why should cable companies not being thrilled about WWE's TV network idea (which would violate their PPV agreements as well) be mentioned in this release? Just because they didn't sign off on one of Vince's hair brained schemes doesn't mean they have to be cool with him doing something that harms their business and breaks agreements.

I really hope this was one of those business meetings where things turned into VINCENT KENNEDY MCMAHON DAMMIT situations.

I don't know much about the cable/dish infrastructure but I doubt the money that changes hands totally goes towards maintenance and expansion.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

if the stock drops, WWE will start issuing its own cyptocurrency and claim they're bajillionaires.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

An extended format are you serious would work if they brought in the guys they're ripping on. If anything, we would get to see a Vanilla Ice-level meltdown moment. Weekly.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I had to patiently explain to one my wrestling superfan buddies that the WWE Network is not a TV network. And then blew his mind about the live feed/on demand stuff.

So yeah...wrestling fans.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

^^^yeah, if you wanna watch Memphis-style ring psychology and good old fashioned potato-ings, WCCW is the place.

Trying to get signed up now. Looks like the site is getting zerged.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I really wish they'd opened sign ups and purchasing like a week ago. Kinda dumb, imo.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

oh.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I got it to work. Sweet. Time to Watch Halloween Havoc.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Having trouble getting Video on Demand to go on my iphone but the live stream works perfectly.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

http://yottsumepuroresu.blogspot.com/2014/02/how-to-watch-wwe-network-outside-of.html

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Pariah Rex posted:

I'll be damned, I didn't even think about it. Is that guy paid to be there and act like that or something?

Partially, he's a megadork trustfunded with his deceased wife's life insurance money. I'm pretty sure WWE makes sure he gets choice seating and such.

Tho I did hear unconfirmed stuff about getting thrown out of an arena recently.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I wish the PS3 app would list shows and PPVs chronologically like every other drat app.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

JPrime posted:

Watching KotR 93, and man, Mr. Hughes could move for a bigger dude...he's kind of stuff and stuff, but when he runs the ropes he's really trucking. Did he ever have any decent matches?

not really? Maybe in Smokey Mountain?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Mayhem 99 is a really bad show.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Batista posted:

Free trial offer ends next week, so get in now if you want that. They're not going to let people watch Mania for free.

Or anyone that paid for it.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Great White Hope posted:

Regal had lots of good matches with Ultimo Dragon, Rey Mysterio, and Finlay, but Regal was in that spot in the company where you didn't exactly have 15 minutes to work, if I recall.

Regal beating the absolute gently caress out of Prince Iueka(sp?) is still one of my faves. 10 minutes of Prince making frustrated faces and Regal stomping all over him.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

epitasis posted:

Watched part of Bash at the Beach '95 last night for some reason. Notable for Mean Gene calling it "the biggest crowd to ever watch a WCW event live!" because they seemingly counted every person anywhere on the beach as an attendee. This was the one where they had Baywatch cameras on the apron.

Also notable is the crowd turning on Renegade and his Warrior rip-off shtick and getting behind the heel which I can't imagine happened so often back then except with Flair. Mr. Wonderful is in classic heel mode but midway through the match the crowd starts popping for all his heel tactics and chanting WON-DER-FUL. Renegade does two consecutive front dropkicks which are the worst I've ever seen in my life. There's a bullshit finish where Nick Patrick counts Wonderful pinned despite him raising his shoulder, which the commentators point out but then say you can't blame the ref for some reason (every single match I saw except the opener had a gently caress finish). After the match Wonderful gives him the spike piledriver to a huge pop but then Renegade immediately does the Undertaker sit-up and the crowd just buries it. Like the crowd was so far from buying into the character that to no-sell a finisher like that was a brutal reminder of how fake it all was. Then Renegade hits him with a diving cross body from the top, Wonderful takes it but immediately rolls out of the ring to no-sell it himself and appeal to the crowd who again pops big for the dude booked to suffer this bullshit.

IIRC Paul Orndorff had clearly had enough of this poo poo and semi-retired shortly thereafter.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

projecthalaxy posted:

One feature for VOD that would be cool is a next show button. Like if I'm watching the Rumble, I'd like to be able to at the end of the show just click a button and be watching Elimination Chamber.

Also how did they not get the actual guys to do the voice work for Slam City? Takes me right out of the moment, can't watch this kids show.

the WWF superstars cartoon show didn't have Hogan and Co as voice actors.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Snacksmaniac posted:

Beach blast is gone!

its still there. http://network.wwe.com/video/v31312961

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

sleepingbuddha posted:

Yeah, he mentions this in his latest documentary. gently caress Vince for refusing to provide healthcare for people that constantly get injured doing their drat job. Unfortunately, Obamacare doesn't do anything to fix this particular case of unrestrained greed.

Its probably cheaper for WWE to pay for medical care outright. Which is what they do in most cases, IIRC.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Raeg posted:

Things that I have learned from the old MSG shows - Lord Alfred is the complete and utter worst. The AT &T of people.

Other than a random upper midcard barn burner those MSG shows are really loving awful.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I'm still not 100% convinced I'll be able to watch Wrestlemania on my Appletv with a minimum of bullshit. Have they done any further live to air shows since NXT?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Luigi Thirty posted:

I put on some random ECW Hardcore TV episode and what's the first thing I see? A match where Sandman beats Tommy Cairo over the head with a metal table four or five times, loses anyway, beats him over the head with his Singapore cane for like five minutes after the march, then cuts a promo standing next to someone I don't recognize. Of course it's Nancy Sullivan talking about how she's going to kill Tommy Cairo.

Awkward all around, really.

The context of Woman with Sandman is amazing. I think they kayfaybe explained that Kevin Sullivan dumped her there so he could go back to WCW.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Tato posted:

Wasn't Credible friends with the Kliq? If so, how did he get such a loving stupid gimmick in WWE?

Shawn works in mysterious ways.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

The Grey posted:

Watched Halloween Havoc 1993, and nearly every match ends with a screwy ending, and not just basic outside interference.

Regal vs. Bulldog ends when the match reaches it's 15 minute time limit one second before Bulldog got a pin. Of course, that was the only match on the card with a time limit.

Vader vs. Cactus Jack in a Texas Death Match is even worse. Apparently the rules of a Texas Death a Match are:

- No disqualifications.
- You can't win by pinfall.
- After a pinfall, there will be a 30 second rest period. If you can't get up after the rest period, then the ref will start doing a 10 count. If you can't get up after the 10 count, you lose. (No clue why you don't just make it a 40 count.)

So Vader gets the pin on Cactus, but they are both are hurt and on the ground. Rest period starts and passes. Then the ref starts doing the 10 count on both Vader and Cactus, even though Vader wasn't pinned. Vader and Cactus both get up, but the ref is only watching Vader. Harley Race then tazers Cactus Jack's leg so he falls back down. Ref turns around when he gets to 10, see Cactus on the ground, and gives him the loss.

What a mess.

I don't think there's ever been a great wrestling Halloween Havoc. Its always been screwy finishes and gimmick matches. Which is why I love it so.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Batista posted:

Wish they would drag him in and get some new interviews. They got Schiavone in a few weeks ago, surely they can get Bischoff as sort of a "WCW Ambassador" type role with new interviews and poo poo.

He probably asked for Bischoff RAW GM money and got laughed off the phone.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Giedroyc posted:

Re-watching WCW 94-96 does make me wonder why people like Harlem Heat (they're loving terrible!) and dislike Mark Mero, since he's the most consistent performer they have in 1995.

Mero, got to work with Pillman, Regal and a bunch of other good dudes.

Heat got to work with The Nasty Boys, Public Enemy and The Outsiders.

I love Public Enemy but they're never gonna make a team look good. Including themselves.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

njsykora posted:

Countdown
Biggest Blunders

Bluergh. I've seen that Shockmaster debut so many times its not even funny anymore.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I'd totally watch a 30 minute show of various wrestlers trying to make sense of promos.

Or heck, give Colt Cabana a show so he can have his mom come on and read great promos.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

flashy_mcflash posted:

I think someone said they were legit scared of him, which is a good enough compliment for what the character was supposed to be. I had younger cousins that had to leave the room when he came on.

I remember being freaked out by the Shango stuff. I was 9 or something. Shutup.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

e:double post. shutup.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

now that HHH has really grown on me, his docu was really cool. The part with Nash fist pumping and celebrating the clique's new designated driver was awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

flashy_mcflash posted:

Heenan kind of went off-script with the 'whose side is he on' stuff and you can see Schiavone actively trying to squash it to maintain the surprise. It's funny though because Heenan *would* have that reaction since he's never trusted Hogan in any of their interactions prior to that, so it makes perfect sense that he'd doubt his allegiances.

if anything, it made the turn more believable, because Brain absolutely loses his poo poo when Hogan drops the leg.