Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Thankyou for capturing this majesty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

I had something about Unions typed up but this isn't really the thread for it. Suffice to say, they're a necessary evil, they might not always do the right things, but they're important in many situations all the same.
A necessary evil? :crossarms:

Man, some peoples views on Unions are hosed up.

TetsuoTW posted:

Much like Idle Thumbs did, VGHD has been really good about trying not to be accidental shitlords since then. I'll be honest, what little I've gleaned of Zack's politics certainly doesn't seem to line up with my own, but I'm not listening to - and they're not making - Politics Hot Dog, so on the few times things do start veering that way it's not a big deal.
This is true, but it's hard not to tangle up someone's political views with their personal views, and their personal views with whatever it is they're producing. The idea that you can separate politics from, well, anything really is fairly problematic, which is why you get stuff like the Orson Scott Card situation.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

HMS Boromir posted:

The more I think about how much time was spent discussing it in anything resembling a positive light, the more it makes me kind of ill, honestly.

Combined with the way he jumped all over the start of seemingly every one of Danielle's points, totally derailing her on multiple occasions, this episode really didn't cast Sean in the best light.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Song For The Deaf posted:

2. We reached our first goal on Patreon, so Abject Suffering is now on a weekly format. Thanks everybody who made that happen!

Awesome! Abject Suffering is a great show, glad you're having success on Patreon.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Hakkesshu posted:

I'm going to say it, Idle Thumbs should discuss more than just video games. I want to hear what Chris has to say about the new season of Louie :3:

Yeah, totally! Maybe they could discuss books that they've been reading too?

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

C-Euro posted:

I gotta admit, hearing Patrick say "No way is there a Kinect-less SKU announcement at E3" on the newest Bombcast, then listening to Idle Thumbs immediately after and hearing "Kinect-less SKU announced today" was pretty funny. Not to bash Patrick though, because he's technically right :v:

Red Red Blue posted:

He was just pissing in the wind

This is why Vinny is the best occasional host.

That whole bit with Patrick's botched predictions was hilarious.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

EC posted:

Seriously, Vinny should host/edit every Bombcast, he's way better than Jeff at it.

The reason the Vinny versions are so good is that he doesn't do it all the time.

If he had to do it every week, considering how busy the guys over there must be, he'd do a straight-laced job just like Jeff does.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

I will never get tired of / understand the arguments about Don't Starve on VGHD :allears:

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Bobulus posted:

I haven't played Watch_Dogs yet, but it sounded like their disapproval was not with what it did, but the lost potential of it, based on the original teaser trailers.

Yeah, I actually enjoyed the discussion because it so mirrored my own feelings.

But on the other hand, I can see how people who haven't actually played a game poo poo talking it could get up the nose of people who have played it and liked it.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

The Crackdown episode of Watch Out for Fireballs! is out.

http://duckfeed.tv/woff/76

Up next is Gabriel Knight II: The Beast Within, followed by Cave Story, then Suikoden II.

I'm happy that this thread is back (along with the rest of the forums, I guess).

How the hell did you guys manage to talk about Crackdown for two hours without talking about climbing the Agency tower? I was so sure you were going to bring it up when you started talking about getting high towards the end of the episode, but nope.

Climbing that tower (and then jumping off it) was such a huge thing when the game came out, and still one of the best uses of achievements to this day (in fact Crackdown has a whole bunch of great achievements, I'm surprised they didn't come up either).

At least "The Enigmatic Wang" and "Skills for Kills" got their due, and this episode was a pretty great to relive some fantastic 7-year-old gaming memories.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Woffle posted:

Well, it didn't occur to me to try because I'm a huge dope.
Oh man.

This is the kinda thing that makes you realise just how important the Zeitgeist is, how riding the wave of the people is important even in 'solitary' pursuits.

When Crackdown came out you couldn't move for videos and news stories about climbing that drat tower, and not always in the intended way.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

"I know one thing about Snape and two things about Dumbledore!"

That section of the 'cast was so good it nearly killed me.

Don't 'cast and drive folks!

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Mother fucker.

I can't believe the Thumbs are making us choose between these awesome shirt designs.

I'm a total sucker for glow-in-the-dark stuff, but also Top Gun, but also The Wizard.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Samopsa posted:

My duckfeed.tv ranking list: Bonfire Side Chat, Watch Out for Fireballs, The Level, Check it out Comrade!. I don't really listen to the rest enough to give an opinion.

You need Abject Suffering in your life, I'd rank it right behind WOFF (ahead if I don't care about the WOFF game).

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

The new Watch Out for Fireballs! about Metal Gear: Ghost Babel is out. We like the game a whole, whole lot.

http://duckfeed.tv/woff/79

Up next we've got a two parter about Suikoden II, then a split EP about Contra and Little Nemo, and an episode about Half-Life.

Only just started listening, but I never knew how much I wanted a Metal Gear / Home Improvement crossover radio play until this very moment.

Please consider quitting your jobs (and other podcasts) to make this a reality.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

It's the first day of Summer RPG Season on WOFF!, with the release of part 1 of our Suikoden II episode.

http://duckfeed.tv/woff/80

Before listening I had no idea Suikoden even existed, let alone what it was.

After listening to the episode I might just have to pick it up!

FAKE EDIT: £100 !? Well gently caress that then.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Butt Frosted Cake posted:

Lmao congrats on being just as petty and dumb as the horrible retards you're wringing your hands over.
Lmao congrats on the anime avatar and the lovely "truth is in the middle" bullshit.

Butt Frosted Cake posted:

Here's what it sounds like to someone on the sidelines of it all. Nerds are upset at other nerds over gay baby games drama, time to completely trash whatever point I had by calling any kind of rhetoric literally fascist.
A Jewish woman has literally been chased from her home by threats of violence from loving fascists.

C-Euro posted:

I personally have never cared for "sjw" games like Papers Please and Cart Life
And this is why SJW, as well as being an utterly bogus term, is also an utterly meaningless term.

EDIT: gently caress this was meant to be a positive post about how glad I was the Thumbs and VGHD talked about this issue instead of ignoring it.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

To bring this back to podcasts for a moment, I’m Commander Shepard, and this is my least favourite misogyny on the Internet.

Jennifer Hale is a total boss.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Trexy posted:

I'm generally amicable when it comes to podcast adds but Idle Thumbs spend way more time on adds than any other podcast I listen to. They're on the shorter end as far as podcasts go too, so if you're listening to them back to back in a car ride it's that much more apparent how much time you're listening to adds.

Yeah, either Thumbs episodes are getting shorter, or the ads are getting longer, but the content ratio does seem to be slowly sliding out of whack.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

ja2ke posted:

I think all TF2 models are actually exactly the same height, with heads that take up about the same amount of space at that height. Part of why the Heavy has a tiny head.

I think you're wrong, but not super far off:

Also, only halfway through this weeks thumbs, and it's already a classic.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

NmareBfly posted:

Here is gamergate's mascot-tan leading a trail of benighted gamers from the holy land of 4chan, because apparently they're not even allowed to talk about their concerns there any more? I haven't really been keeping track.

fatherboxx posted:

Moot got tired of the conspiracy crowd and ordered to ban gamergate threads on sight, since he could get into trouble for hosting harrassment campaign and private data exchange on his website.

Gamergate: A 'movement' so toxic and lovely that even 4chan disowns it.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

This week's Thumbs chats about Steam Curators quite a bit, and how the system is ranked, so I decided to check it out.

Well, the good news is that the Thumbs' list is above Giant Bomb's!

The unfathomably worse news, is, well, just, ugh:

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Gesadt posted:

for me, crate and crowbar never missed a mark, by far the best gaming podcast (alongside idlethumbs) imo. those guys are funny, insightful and intelligent human beans. i appreciate their honest opinions and occasional profanity, makes conversation seem more natural (compared to something like PC gamer US podcast, oh god can those guys be more boring. god forbid you say gently caress on occasiona or reveal your actual emotions)

In related news, the Rock Paper Shotcast is back this week! (Though it appears to now be more boringly named the Rock Paper Podcast)

This week it's Jim Rossignol, John Walker and the forever-podcasting Graham Smith, talking about PC gaming stuff as you might expect.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Old Swerdlow posted:

I really appreciate how great Video Games Hotdog for having to record or skype or cellphones sometimes.

Yeah, VGHD is good without caveats, but for a mostly cross-country Skype (or whatever) based podcast, it's incredible.

It's the only podcast where all the participants aren't always in the same room I can stand to listen to.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Woffle posted:

We do everything remote and I like to think we do a good job of making it sound natural but it breaks down a lil when we have guests.

I retract my previous statement as I also listen to the whole Duckfeed repertoire, so Skype podcasts fo' life I guess.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

ElMaligno posted:

But the best is when Zack says something so incredibly loving dumb and Kevin actually joins him in his loving dumb rear end shenanigans. Poor Riff can only stare and laugh. :ohdear:

Just finished the latest VGHD.

I still find it hard to get over how someone as obviously intelligent as Zack is can be so dumb with videogames. Having Kevin painstakingly describe the mechanics of throwing a rock as a distraction in Hitman Go was incredible though, so maybe it's all worth it.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Great ME:SoM and A:I discussion in this weeks Thumbs, though it's a shame that (as usual) they've only played an hour or so of either.

In this case, their complaints about Talion's character in ME:SoM are somewhat ameliorated by the game making it abundantly clear in it's full course that he is absolutely no better than the Orcs/Uruks he slaughters. Also by that game being super loving awesome.

And I really can't wait for companies to stop trying to turn 30 minutes of film into 20 hours of game. A:I is just the latest offender, I'm tired of games taking the most self-indulgent and overbearing Michael Bay shitfest action-barf and apparently thinking "eh, could have been 4 times as long".

Pasco fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Oct 8, 2014

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Do you mean Alien: Isolation? I haven't played it but it sounds like the complete opposite of what I'd call an "overbearing Michael Bay shitfest action-barf".

Sorry, that was a poor juxtaposition. Alien: Isolation is the latest offender in taking ~30 minutes of film (the last-ish 30 minutes of Alien in this case) and turning it into an overly-long game.

Alien is clearly not an "overbearing Michael Bay shitfest action-barf", but as the Thumbs discussed, the game doesn't pull from the good half of the film that is essentially Space Truckers.

EDIT: Also, Worms is great.

Pasco fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Oct 8, 2014

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Boatswain posted:

Which other gaming podcasts is most like Idle Thumbs?
Well I find The Crate and Crowbar to be simil-

Boatswain posted:

(& also recorded in a studio with decent audio quality)?
Oh. In that case, nevermind I guess.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Woffle posted:

To preemptively apologize: I had a rough time finding a lot of the music for this game. I could find a soundtrack but it was missing some key songs. I'm getting ready for this weekend so I didn't have time to emulate the game and capture the audio.

This could not have happened to a worse game. I'm not a big fan of God Hand, but it has incredible music.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

TetsuoTW posted:

send help can't stop laughing

We are going to have to act, if we want to live in a different world.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

TetsuoTW posted:

Oh poo poo I'm an rear end in a top hat, how could I forget - depending on what kind of content you're after, there's always Retronauts, Watch Out for Fireballs, and Abject Suffering

Also: Check It Out, Comrade!

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

This weeks Thumbs was great, I guess the fiver just needed a little warming up. However Sean is starting to drive me nuts.

That's exactly right.
That's exactly right.
That's exactly right.

EDIT: Hot crap, how did I miss this:

then our winter WRPG, "The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind". On that last note, we'd like any input you have on sensible ways to divide that up. We're doing it in three parts with a single extrasode at the end, like we did with our Final Fantasy VII episode.

Morrowind is my absolute favourite ever game, I'm so glad you're doing it!

The main quest is really... not that big a deal? Almost none of my memories and little of my play time was actively spent pursuing it, to the point I don't know if it even warrants a full third of your time. The guilds and houses were much more interesting to me, as well as just all the random exploratory side stuff.

Maybe this would be an opportunity to break out of the usual structure, as unless you two do some serious co-ordination your experiences are going to diverge even more wildly than something semi-open like Fallout 2. Perhaps using the start of each House/Guild 'chain' as jumping off points to discuss that narrative/physical area of the game would work, as really the landscape is as worthy of discussion as some of the 'plot'.

Are you planning to include the expansions? I would really recommend having Bloodmoon active from the start (as it can happily weave into the main game and adds some cool stuff, as well as some extra landmass), and then only activate Tribunal after you've 'finished' with the main game (or at least ignore it until then, as it's more of a standalone thing).

And no post about Morrowing is complete without talking about the mods, which, well, what kind of dong do you want your cat dude to have?

Pasco fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Oct 30, 2014

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

DrKennethNoisewater posted:

Have you guys ever thought about doing a bonus extrasode or something where people can give feedback on any game in the catalog of your WOFF podcasts thus far? Presumably, new listeners get into the podcast all the time, listen to older episodes, and may have feedback to provide. Also, people just may get busy and not get a chance to keep up with your release schedule. Back when you were announcing only about one game in advance there were a couple of times that I wanted to play along, but couldn't get to it before the episodes were all recorded.

I don't know how it would be organized, since there's potentially 75 or so topics of discussion, and it certainly sounds like you're not exactly drowning in free time to throw together a new project/special episode, but it seems like something that may be cool.

I'd be really into some kind of WOFF mailbag episode, even if it had to be in place of a regular week's 'cast.

Of course this assumes us schlubs could be relied on to provide enough correspondence to fill the time.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Hakkesshu posted:

Too much of the discussion on Thumbs lately has revolved around "here's a well-liked game that I played for an hour, let's spend 30 minutes talking about this one thing I don't like".

It's not that I want IT to become an echo chamber, but I think it has become very predictable. Obviously nothing kills enthusiasm like forcing yourself to play something, but enthusiasm in general has been fairly low as of late. Discussion often suffers from the whole "I only played it for an hour, I don't know how it changes the further you get" syndrome, and then it never gets brought up again.

Which ironically kind of puts them in the same boat as the press-based gaming podcasts, where they just move from game to game to game and thus rarely get very in-depth with any one title. Usually the Thumbs have something worthwhile to say, even if they haven't played a game for very long, but the scope of the game's discussion still tends to be very superficial. Like Sean's take on that Sherlock Holmes game, for instance, which I've heard does a lot of cool, different things to tie each case together the further you get.

The thing that kills me is when the guys sound bummed out or apologetic about talking about a game they're playing for a few casts in a row.

No! Do that! Get out into those weeds!

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Earl Chestnuts posted:

Man, I'd like to play Morrowind, but I've no idea what playstyles are actually fun and viable, like the melee combat is awful, but magic is apparently underpowered in the late game, which is weird because it's the exact kind of game where being a godlike DND 3.5 wizard would actually be amazing. Are there mods for that?

Morrowind is a game that can be broken in half with a little sideways thinking, you can make yourself ridiculously powerful in a few completely legitimate but pretty dumb ways, and that absolutely includes magic.

The potion, enchanting and spell crafting can combine to allow you to create spells and items so idiotically powerful they cease to be useful, because they murder everything within draw-distance including you.

Also, there are totally mods for that (aisle five, ignore all the lizard tits).

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

zapjackson posted:

For the guy who was asking about Jim Crawford guesting on Video Games Hot Dog, we had him on again yesterday. Episode 174.

You can tell this episode is going places when it quickly gets into a discussion about how The Matrix is poo poo and The Matrix Reloaded is good.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

al-azad posted:

It's not, though. None of the background is "shamelessly lifted" from the poster except the palette. There's not a single silhouette you can match up which makes it original.

Not that it matters, the game was removed from Greenlight.

Yeah, on first glance it looks like a straight rip, but if you actually look closely it's just using a very similar palette, and I don't think you can own a palette (though US IP law is insane, so maybe you can).

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Ramagamma posted:

Whats todays Watch out For Fireballs about?

"I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream", going by the schedule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

weird bleep posted:

Keeping the Idle Thumbs fighting game balance chat going...

The differences between the versions of Street Fighter II have actually split the fanbase of the games to a small extent, as some players prefer the balance and stripped down mechanics of Hyper Fighting compared to the more feature rich and loosely balanced Super Turbo.

And this is why the comparison isn't particularly valid.

Everyone knows there are a million versions of Super Ultra Street Fighter II Arcade Remix Hyper Edition EX Plus Alpha, but these are all discreet games which can and do coexist.

A game like DotA (or apparently SSBWiiU) doesn't have a myriad of competing editions which are played competitively, it has one version, the constantly updated latest version.

Strett Fighter has never been a 'game as a service' in the way that DotA or other competitive online games are, it's a totally different model.

• Locked thread