Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

I got Plex a few months ago so I could stream stuff to my PS4. At first it worked great through the internet browser. About a month or so ago, though, it stopped working completely. I'm using the same IP address, and the same web address that I've had bookmarked, but my PS4 says it's unable to connect to the server. I can use the internet otherwise just fine. It's just not wanting to connect to my Plex server, and gives me an error message of "Cannot connect to the server. (WV-33899-2)".

Anyone know how to fix this?

Soysaucebeast fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Sep 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

suddenlyissoon posted:

Did you update your router by chance? Are you going through localhost:32400 (or whatever port you have it set to)?

Yea, everything is as it was when I got it all set up originially. No router updates or IP address changes or anything like that.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

suddenlyissoon posted:

This is probably stupid but when you go to the plex server page it has the green check mark next to the port number, right? And you have port forwarding set up in your router?

Sorry I couldn't respond earlier, I was at work. But yep. Everything's good to go on my PC, it just won't load on my PS4.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I have an extremely basic question that I have been finding multiple answers to, and so I thought I would ask here. If it's the wrong place, I apologize. I've been thinking about ripping all my dvds and setting up a home server for plex and was wondering if anyone here had done the same. If I have approximately 1,000 dvds and rip them all, I'm guessing that's around 4tb of data, which I could stick on an external raid drive with 10tb of space and attach to an old mac mini to use as a server. Has anyone done anything like this? My major fears are underestimating how much hard drive space I need and also losing all the files after I spend a year or two of Saturdays ripping them all. Are there any angles I'm not considering, or is it feasible to do it with a single external HD with RAID to mirror everything?

I'm actually in the process of doing the same thing, and I had a different question for y'all. When I try to play a movie, it defaults to the commentary track. I figured out how to swap it over to the movie audio, but is there a way to change it to default to the normal audio track? Or, is there a way to rename all the tracks? I'm ripping to MP4 via VLC so if there's some setting in VLC I'm ignorant of, just let me know. I saw some people on reddit talking about how MKV is a better file type for audio track shenanigans, but I'd rather convert them as a last resort. I don't want to get rid of the commentary tracks, but if I gotta I gotta. Basically I just want to make things as painless as possible for my boyfriend/mom/random guests. This is what I'm seeing now for audio track options.

Also, dumb question, but when you guys are talking about getting the rips from other people online, are you talking about :filez: or are there legit places to swap the files around like that without paying for everything I own a second time? Because if I can legally outsource this work, y'all will save me my weekend.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Alright y'all I need your help before I drive myself nuts. I have a plex server set up on my Windows PC and I'm trying to move it over to my Nvidia Shield Pro. I figured the easiest way would to be to just copy the files I need onto an external hard drive, hook that up to the Shield, set up a new server, and then shut down my PC server. It's a bit of a pain, but I can do that in an afternoon. But Plex will just not set up a new server on my shield. When I log into my account, it just automatically tries to use my PC, even if I have that completely shut down. I'm hesitant to delete my PC server before moving everything, but I will if that's what needs to happen. I looked up how to just transfer over a server and the guides I found look really complicated. Anyone have any ideas here, or an idiot-proof step by step guide?

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

LODGE NORTH posted:

It’s pretty straight forward, yeah. If i’m understanding you right, all you need to do is transfer your content, install Plex Media Server, point to the right folders etc, then use Plex to browse stuff.

That may be the problem: Plex app is “just” the media browser, but the Media Server app is where you set up new servers etc.

See, that's what I thought originally. But I installed Plex and Plex Media Server on my Shield, and it just won't let me select which folders to get my files from. It just keeps defaulting to using my PC even when the PC is turned off, and I'm not seeing an option to change that on the Shield itself. I know the Shield is capable of accessing the files because I can navigate to them with a File Management App, but Plex just refuses to. I'm at work right now, but I'll double check it when I get home later. Maybe I was in a fugue state yesterday due to lack of pizza or something.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Burden posted:

Are you going to the Shields IP:32400 to set it up?

I think I tried that? I honestly can't remember now, since I tried so much stuff with it yesterday. I'm due to get home in about three hours, I'll double check that and the other stuff suggested then.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Burden posted:

Are you going to the Shields IP:32400 to set it up?

Ok, I think I got everything working. I'm transferring my media to my soon-to-be-dedicated external now, but everything worked with the thumb drive I tested it out with. It seems like the issue was that I didn't do that, like an idiot. Or rather, I tried to do it, was too dang dumb to figure out how, and got distracted with something else. I got to the http://youripaddresshere:32400/web/index.html address just fine a bit ago, got everything configured and I think I'm good to go. Turns out I didn't realize I had to add the :32400 at the end of it. If I break anything else I'll let y'all know, but tentatively I think we're good. Thanks for the assist on everything y'all. It was really a lot of help and got my brain working again.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

teagone posted:

I will gladly pay an extra 2.99 a month for an ebook/CBR/CBZ reader add-on, Plex, you fucks. What the hell.

Fuckin' preach. Google Play Books has a stroke anytime I try and upload the books I buy through the Humble Bundles so I have a hard time reading those at work (I have them on my android devices but I try not to be on my phone there). I have it set up to upload all my books to Google Drive, but reading them there isn't anywhere as nice as the Kindle webreader is, and it doesn't save my progress. If Plex added something I'd be over the moon (and saving so much space on my devices).

I thought about trying the new Plex Arcade thing, but it entirely depends on how they handle roms. If they have all the consoles that RetroArch supports then it might be worth it. Right now I have all my roms saved to every device I would want to play them on, and have the saves synced via Google Drive. If I could stream everything from my Shield to my phone/tablet/etc then that would work nicely for me (Steam Link is garbage for when I'm on my work network but Plex works just fine for some reason). But if it only supports "retro" games, then I'll pass. Still, I'm interested enough to re-bookmark this thread to see what y'all think.

Edit: Missed this when I posted

univbee posted:

Did a bunch of testing for Plex arcade over the past few hours. It's magic when it works (extremely low latency when used over a local network) but they launched way too hot, the implementation is janky as gently caress. It breaks a lot and when stuff isn't working there's basically no feedback telling you why (e.g. there are actually deceptively high system requirements due to the streaming technology being used, like you either need a gaming-class GPU or at least a 4th generation i5. My main server is a 3rd-generation i5 and doesn't work but acts like it will work so that took me a while to suss out). Sharing libraries works but any users must ALSO be subbed to the Plex Arcade pass so it's not really viable. I only got NES games working, too, none of the SNES cores I tried worked (you need a weird third party program running unsigned code to get working emulator cores for the most part).

Yea, that's going to be a pass from me then. I have a gaming PC at home I could move my Plex server to for this, but I hate leaving that thing on basically 24/7 or having to anticipate when I might feel like gaming away from home. That's the main reason I got a Shield Pro and it sounds like that wouldn't even handle this. Also, all that headache is so not worth NES (or older) games. Hell, almost all the SNES games I would want to play I get with the Nintendo Switch Online plan I already pay 20$/year for (and I don't have to worry about lovely internet for that). I'm good.

Soysaucebeast fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jan 27, 2021

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

OldSenileGuy posted:

Speaking of subtitles - is there a database website anywhere that tells you whether foreign dialogue in a movie is supposed to have subtitles or if it's intentionally non-subtitled?

It's happened more than once where I'm watching a movie that has an extended sequence with foreign dialogue, and I stop the movie to try to find my missing subtitle file only to discover that that segment wasn't meant to be subtitled.

I had the opposite happen to me once. I was watching the second Thor movie through entirely legitimate means and there's a scene where the aliens are all just talking to each other. There weren't any subtitles and I felt that Marvel was just being incredibly bold with that choice. Then I found out later that that whole scene is a huge info dump with subtitles that I completely missed. I actually prefer it without though, haha.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Ok I'm at work so I can't troubleshoot this myself right now, but is there something weird I need to do to add custom video files to Plex? There's two I'm trying to add to the movies section, and I have them in the right folder but they're not showing up after a scan. I figure I probably need to edit the metadata on the file itself, but I didn't know if there was something else I needed to do. Everything I'm seeing after a quick skim in google is from 5+ years ago and for setting up a custom "home movies" library. I don't need anything like that, I just want them to pop up in my movies library like everything else.

Edit: poo poo nevermind. I just remembered that the external I use doesn't like being unplugged from my computer and will delete everything I just put on it unless I go through and disconnect it in the file manager first. I've been connecting to my Shield (that I run Plex off of) remotely for so long I forgot, but my Shield is being prissy with remote connecting lately so I had to do it manually. At least it's an easy fix lol.

Soysaucebeast fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jun 3, 2021

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

deong posted:

Not sure anyone here needs it, but Plex is doing a lifetime pass for 25% off for Black Friday as usual.
https://plex.tv/black-friday/
code : LIFETIMEOFCOMFORT

I'm debating getting the lifetime pass, but I was wondering if people here thought it was worth it. I have zero desire to use the music playing side of Plex (I don't like Tidal so I just use Spotify for everything and I play my own media with that anyway) and I don't share my Plex server with anyone but my husband. I'm tempted to get it, but I'm not sure if that's just because of my "ooooh shiney!" impulse or if it is actually worth the ~90$.

Edit: Actually after looking into it more, I think I'll pass. The only thing I would really be interested in is local TV, but I can just buy a tuner if I'm that down to watch commercials again.

Soysaucebeast fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Nov 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Huh, weird. I went to consolidate all my watch lists into Plex with the new Watchlist beta, and I can add everything except TV shows that are already in my library. I can add the show to the watchlist if I use the "more ways to watch" option, but it won't let me do it from my library page like it does with my movies. And if I go to the show in my watchlist after adding it that way, it won't show me that it's available in my library either (it'll show movies in my library that way though). It's not a big thing, I can always just go back and check my TV library page to see what I've got up next but that's weird.