Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I'm shocked you didn't name this ffxiii.jpg

Unremarkable.

In all seriousness, I did enjoy the game. Sure it's ridiculous but I enjoy camp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Instant Grat posted:

I don't think it's accurate to say that the game ever really "opens up" as such - you get to decide by yourself who you want in your party, and you get the choice between continuing on with the story or participating in The Sidequest. There's only one, and the idea is you do it over and over again while it gets progressively harder.

It is accurate if you consider opening it up allows you to push the analog stick in a direction besides "up" for more than 20 seconds and not end up running into a wall.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Speedball posted:

If I were a slightly more competent writer I'd say the reason you could kick the rear end of the giant scorpion robot with buzz saw hands is because it's primarily designed as an intimidation weapon instead of an assault vessel. That's why its screen-hitting laser weapon only stings you.

That makes some sense.

Also, your little pun at the end there hurt more than the laser.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Blastinus posted:

I have quibbles about a few of the character designs in this game, but that there is one stylish dude.

It's like if Gordon Gekko was created Pope of Wall Street.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I wonder if they were meant to be a fancy fantasy way to say Falacy. It's a mistake to believe in these jokers?

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Gensuki posted:

The trick to the game is that it gets better towards the end, and anyone who "Likes it" is just remembering the most recent parts to them; the ending.

I like the game, but one of the things towards the end makes everything else, every other stupid thing it does pale in it's blinding utter idiocy.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Bregor posted:

Couldn't agree more. SE has done plenty in an attempt to force us to like Lightning. None of it is as effective as SNOWPUNCH!

SNOWPUNCH 2 is just as good. But admittedly it seemed very rushed for a sequel. Not saying I don't like the sequel hooks being thrown around, be they lefts or rights.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Fedule posted:

I've got a great idea for a new thread drinking game: When watching our videos, drink every time we mention something we chose not to mention in a previous video - because we have to carefully ration interesting tidbits lest we run out of things to talk about because this is Final Fantasy XIII we're playing here - only to have someone bring it up in the thread immediately afterwards by way of expanding on what we did say in that video.

I'm guessing you would suggest we drink only the finest fullest bodied, 1963 vintage Chateau Ombriand Select bottles of STFU?

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I was afraid that I had to wait til the Next Eidolon fight to show this, since I couldn't remember if it was mentioned why Shivas/Shivae(?) fought Snow.

But the datalog provides. They're just helping. Their type of help is always truly sought after...

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I blame Vanille's retrospective narrative babble on Sex in the City, Grey's Anatomy, and all the other vapid shows that have some idiot voice over nothing happening while talking about a completely different and theoretically impossible separate catagory of nothing.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Nihilarian posted:

I like to think that everything is a part of Operation Nora. When Hope finishes brushing his teeth in the morning, he says "Operation Nora, Stage 548 complete."

*HP+2 on crystarium* Operation Nora, Stage 2 complete
*ATT+3 on crystarium* Operation Nora, Stage 3 complete
*Fearsiphon, or some other thing off the crystarium spoke* Operation Nora, Stage 3, part 2 complete.
*Role level* Operation Nora, Stage 4, part 2, article 3, subsection 93 complete.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Nidoking posted:

Hope: *casts Fire on an enemy* THIS IS OPERATION NORA! *casts Fire* THIS IS OPERATION NORA!
Lightning: Hope, it's dead. It ran out of HP seven rounds ago. There are still enemies alive way over here. Hello?
Hope: *pulls out the knife and starts stabbing the dead enemy over and over* OPERATION NORA! OPERATION NORA! OPERATION... OPERATION...

It turns out to be a commercial for Operation, the board game.

Someone needs to hack the game, and replace every one of Hope's combat audio clips with "Operation Nora!"

Include in this any chance for him to scream over whoever has the victory quote at the end.

Lightning: "Just another ba-"
:byodood: "OPERATION NORA!"

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Artix posted:

Yeah, not to go into too much detail, but basically the beginning of Chapter 7 is a sewer level. So in and of itself, you're already looking at trouble. This is compounded by the fact that nothing actually happens during this section - there are a couple cutscenes of note, which are awkwardly broken up by short walkways with one fight on them before you reach another awkwardly broken up cutscene.

Making matters worse was the fact that we were supposed to record with Nine-Gear Crow, but poo poo happened and he wasn't available, so we took a stab at it ourselves. That lasted approximately 30 seconds after finishing the video before it got deleted and we kinda grabbed someone on the fly as a guest because it was either that or sit down and come up with some meticulous plan for the video where we plotted out what we were going to talk about and when.

We did manage to get a hold of Crow yesterday, but I think it was still in that kinda awkward "first time talking to each other" phase and the second video didn't really come out that great. We'll see.

I'm sure :siren: going off every :siren: 3 seconds :siren: doesn't help :siren: your pacing.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Simply Simon posted:

The entire thing could have therefore been excised entirely. Of course, that is true for at the very least 70% of any conversations in the game, and indeed 90% of the game in general, so I guess I'm just reiterating what everyone already knew, bringing nothing new or interesting to the table. You might call this Final Fantasy XIII, the forums post. Part of the Something Awfula Nova Crystalis Universe.

I still think you need to record these tirades; the contrast of your soothing voice and the frothing at the mouth rage would be enjoyable. Also you'd probably be relegated to DLC in the Trilogy. Stuff people would want (like Ultros and Gilgamesh) but not want enough to encourage Square to make more of this garbage.

Wild Knight posted:

Snow is the tallest FF protagonist ever? That seems really weird, like, in a "why did they even bother focusing on that" sort of way. It's probably a symptom of the whole "focusing on creating art assets before actually creating a story" problem the whole XIII series had, though.

Its strange, Final Fantasy games in the past were filled with trite things, like blood type and other minutia. They didn't even bother with that bit of trivia. Just "Hey, this guy is tall" and "Hey, he's a jive mother" and "She's an anime"

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

In Japan, its an old cultural myth that blood type determined personality. It was character profile shorthand for "he's the hero" or "he's kind of an rear end in a top hat", etc that was lost when it was translated. :eng101:

I know, and it's hilarious that they seemingly actively omitted it for FFXIII. No "Leader" "Anti-Hero" or some other archetype stuff here, just "Tall crazy hobo-looking guy" "Afro Man" and "Cloudette"

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

I'd skip the first part of Spoony's review though, he seriously goes on a 10+ minute rant about the robes everybody is wearing on the train at the very beginning. He does have a bit of a point but he just nitpicks the gently caress out that little issue.

I enjoyed the tirade, but I think there is a serious point.

We know this is the Final Solution, these people are dead, but the story is they're being exiled. The people of Cocoon aren't blaming them for their lovely luck, and don't want them to die the moment they're on the surface. They might be for protection, or literal sacrificial robes or something. Honestly, they should have been stripped to the waist, numbers tattooed on them, and their guards casting lots for the good poo poo in their pockets, but that doesn't look good on camera, it doesn't look good for Space Pope.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Blastinus posted:

Nor do a lot of real-life snipers ride jetpacks up to about two feet away from the thing they're shooting at or fly in circles waiting for their target to run towards them. What I'm saying is, like pretty much everyone on Cocoon, these snipers are terrible at their job.

I think in this universe, the Art of War is a pop up coloring book. The farthest you could have a sniper from its target is one end of the page to the edge of the next page.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Blastinus posted:

e: Also, a quick Google search on the name Ushumgal either brings up FF13, a creature from FF11, or an ancient Sumerian land grant, centered around a priest by the name of Ushumgal. So basically, Square-Enix just took a random name they found off the internet and decided that it was exotic enough for a monster name.

Square-Enix.txt, go online, search a wiki for Babylonian, or Sumerian, or Sumatran myths and find the least tenuously related name for your monster, or organization, or weapon.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Hes earned the third spot in the good guys HERO:byodood: ranking.

Fixed that for you.

But yes, he was certainly the darkhorse for me. Sazh was a definite favorite right out the gate, and I expected to hate Snow, but he redeemed himself nicely during this.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I still keep seeing Hope as Tidus 2.0. Just as whiny without that pesky adulthood going on.

Vaan is Tidus 2.0. Everything wrong with Tidus was honed and concentrated into a critical mass of useless. While Tidus screamed it was his story, it was only partially his. Vaan was shoehorned in. I don't even think Hope is Tidus 3.0, that goes to Penelo, the shoehorned in useless friend of the useless lead.

If anything, I think Hope is Vincent 2.0. Mope, mope mope :emo:

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Schwartzcough posted:

"combat data."

Just once, it would be great if some game gibbered on about Combat Data, and then the heroes call them out on the poo poo...

Then the villian breaks out :eng101: and explain in detail their thesis, including the design of experiments and details in their use of thermocouples, accelerometers, high speed cameras, shock stickers and EKG meters to actually quantify "punch/shoot/stab/magic the gently caress out of that jerk"

Bonus if they include control samples, or before and after... or if the whole T-Virus poo poo was just a massive placebo. "Huh? he turned into a what? He just got the sugar pill!"

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I can never truly decide if his name should be Robopope or Pope Troglodytarum XIII; Patron Saint of Kill Stealing Fucks.

A nice long rolling Spanish "R" though... Rrrrrrrobopope

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

Also the whole transforming Eidolon thing made me think if they couldn't just use that to leave the ship, until I remembered that their current transports are a horse, a car and a bike, none of which is particularly effective in the air (Shiva's odd ice powers ignored). Sometimes things make sense completely by mistake, since I doubt they planned that far ahead.

Except My Little Podin canters down from the sky.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Space Pope: Hope to Hope Episode 81: Knifin' Around.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Simply Simon posted:

Minerva Bustier for sick Commando bonus Vanille would actually own tho

I can totally imagine RoboPope monologing about his magic owl-ship/lingerie lifting and separating the font of women's power.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Artix posted:

Why this 'Fifth Ark' is on Cocoon, and whether there are other Arks hidden elsewhere, is uncertain.

Knowing that this is all to blame on Fal'Cie, and how they're massive mind-loving dicks. I'm sure there's only 2 or 3 Arks. One named "Fifth Ark" and the second "Tenth Ark, Mk. II"

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

I'll see your Firth Ark and raise you a Dämmerung Restricted Area in Xenosaga Epiosde II. Monolith buggered up the whole Superweapon Factory/Hanger dungeon nearly half a decade before Square got around to it.

Is that the one with the time limit? That killed any motivation for me to finish the game, or even consider picking up III.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

User Tags:
RPG, JRPG, Walking Simulator, Story Rich.

Very funny... wait, you're serious?

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Artix posted:

Well now I need to come up with some kind of contest so I can give the poor bastard that wins it a copy of all three games :unsmigghh:

The contest should be the last person to yell "not it!" wins

"Not it"

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Not it!

Also, BRING ME OFFERINGS OF lovely FFXIII PC MODS! :agesilaus:

Replace Yang Rosch's name and all of his lines with Vaan's pointless segment in FFXII. "I'm Captain Basch!" :byodood: "Basch Lives!"

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Rita Repulsa posted:

so the characters are doing things because a god is telling them to and the gods are making them do things because their god told them to.

...how is this plot salvageable again?

They're trying to do the exact opposite that they're being told to do so hard and so badly that it somehow has imploded on itself and they're doing what they're told to, but being really pissed off about doing it.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Kurieg posted:

Honestly, the whole fal'cie plot would probably seem a lot more menacing if it didn't come off as a bunch of petulant children who are angry at their parents. Dad left them alone and told them not to break all the pottery, and they want to be good and not break the pottery, but there's the family pet right there and if they keep smacking it it might get angry enough to break the pottery for them. And then dad will love them again.

That's... shockingly accurate. Except the pottery is full of chocolate or anti-freeze and the dogs die and daddy comes back with a new puppy.

Those psychopathic fucks.

Wouldn't put it past them to make stage 4 or 5 of their plan to murder daddy and Bart wears his face as a mask, over his ridiculous mechanical one.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

The question then is, is that better or worse than Bartholomew's burnished steel necklace tie?

Apparently everyone evil has a tie. The Baroness, Rosch. Anima and the Guard Scorpion probably did too.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

Just pointing out that Hope hasn't got his Eidolon yet.

I think Bahamut is the only Eidolon I never really used. Odin, Shiva and Brynhildr all had their uses during the story parts where Eidolons were actually useful, but from here on out you get to develop your characters, and summons don't really get that much use. Plus if you're leading with Fang, you're likely putting out more damage than Bahamut can do.

The only reason I can think of is the "gently caress that damned max damage trophy, get it over with already," or "Oh poo poo, need a full heal now!"

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Michael Bay.
It will be very pretty, but the dialogue will be poo poo and the story even more poo poo.

It's like nothing will change.
Though I shudder at what would happen to Sazh.

And Hope or Snow will become the primary protagonist.

And Baby chocobo will get a voice and will be the tag team ebonics Comic Relief with Sazh.

Lord that makes me sick just thinking about it.

It makes me even more terrified that if Tetris is being made into a movie, it is a real, terrifying possibility that this would get the green light.

Even more horrifying is if Peter Jackson gets his hands on it, and breaks it into a Trilogy. Not FFXIII, FFXIII-2 and FFX111-3, but like the Hobbit, a small story inflated and bloated into 3 movies.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I'm reading the "translate this last, it'll be deleted anyway" in Bartandalus's voice. Just a gigantic troll telling someone to do the most pointless, futile task... just like this game.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

morallyobjected posted:

Only in blue circles. Chocobos have their own circles because blue ones are reserved for the l'Cie master race.

Union rules. KWEH Local 563 and The International Brotherhood of JRPG Protagonists have very strict lines of demarcation.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Whenever I see her hop up on her ridiculous transformer, all I can think is "Chung, Chung! Chung, chung! Magitek Armor!"

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

For a while, I actually believed that Oerba would be a village where you could talk to NPC's. I forgot I was watching watching Final Fantasy XIII.

Fixed that for... oops.

It was a nice thought to have a desolate abandoned village to show you how the world has gone to poo poo. Too bad that you're almost done with the game and world building is pointless at this far in :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Quantum Toast posted:

I'm not sure exactly how Barthandelus can disguise himself as a normal-sized human, but it kind of makes me think of the Wizard of Oz. Except in reverse.

My question is more about why he decided to disguise himself as a teenage girl.

Phase 1 - Turn into girl
Phase 2 - ???? (who am I kidding, we know it was to gently caress Snow)
Phase 3 - Destroy Cocoon? (Get laid!)

• Locked thread