Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

whowhatwhere posted:

So at what point are you going to switch to a new party configuration? I think we've seen pretty much everything this current one has to offer by now.

I currently have up through the first update of Chapter 12 (so the next 4 videos) recorded with this party. Honestly I didn't have any real point in mind to switch them out so I can do that before I start recording the next part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Maybe it's magical ice that could instantly freeze anyone who touches it?

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

Maybe it's magical ice that could instantly freeze anyone who touches it?

no, Freeze was in FFIX.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Update 40: Dekcus noegnud siht (Polsy) :siren:

Bestiary

Artix fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Apr 14, 2015

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Well thats a fitting name for that undying if I ever saw one.

Mithridates is named after Mithridates VI, a King of Pontus, a region in Anatolia that lay on the coast of the black sea.

Mithradates VI is where we get the term Mithradatism, because you see the King was a paranoid man, fearful for attempts on his life through the means of poison, and thus inured his constitution by taking small doses of poison over a long time to develop an immunity for them or large doses of preventative antidote each day, the sources vary on that point. But I digress, the former habit is what we have come to call mithradism.

He was a very interesting man living in a very interesting time, and funnily enough accounts of his death do refer to him trying to take his own life through poison and failing due to his own immunity, him not wishing to be paraded as a trophy after the Romans overran Pontus.

So yeah Mithradates the Undying has an interesting name that quite rightly fits his gimmick.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
Seems like a really useful upgrade to the battle system would be getting to choose buff/debuff priorities in something similar to the gambit system. Maybe some schmuck with too much time can figure out a way to rebalance it with a mod on the PC version.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Well thats a fitting name for that undying if I ever saw one.

Mithridates is named after Mithridates VI, a King of Pontus, a region in Anatolia that lay on the coast of the black sea.

Mithradates VI is where we get the term Mithradatism, because you see the King was a paranoid man, fearful for attempts on his life through the means of poison, and thus inured his constitution by taking small doses of poison over a long time to develop an immunity for them or large doses of preventative antidote each day, the sources vary on that point. But I digress, the former habit is what we have come to call mithradism.

He was a very interesting man living in a very interesting time, and funnily enough accounts of his death do refer to him trying to take his own life through poison and failing due to his own immunity, him not wishing to be paraded as a trophy after the Romans overran Pontus.

So yeah Mithradates the Undying has an interesting name that quite rightly fits his gimmick.

Interesting. You should look up the other ones we've fought as well, they're actually all named after leaders who brought their armies against Rome. Or at least, that's what TV Tropes says and loathe as I am to even mention the site, if it pertains to sperging the gently caress out about pointless little details, I'm gonna defer to them.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Eh.
Bituitus and Geiseric the undyings dont really fit their names.

But Genseric/Geiseric is an interesting person.
But this isnt the thread for that since it aint relevant.
Do recommend that people look them up, the people the Undying are named after are much more interesting than FF13.

If there is one thing I like about Final Fantasy its the range of names that monsters can have. Names of things from different cultures and mythology, and that really interests me.

Like the penangalan, which is either a Philipino or Malay/Indonesian mythical creature, I dont remember. It poses as a beautiful woman at day whom at night detaches her head and flies about as a head (mind her entrails are hanging off the neck stump) to feed off childrens blood. Morbid stuff.

Also a nicely fitting name now that I think of it.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Nov 26, 2014

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Goddrat, Sazh. :stare:

That Blitz is BRUTAL in that situation.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Shei-kun posted:

Goddrat, Sazh. :stare:

That Blitz is BRUTAL in that situation.
Yeah, that's one thing I've noticed about Sazh from watching the LP: he's a good backup that has stuff you could easily overlook. While he may not be the best Commando, he seems to make up for his shortcomings in other places like his Blitz. Fang, Snow and Lightning (the current dedicated Commandos) all have more effective skills like Launch, but they are limited to two fists, a folding sword (that has a gun attachment but is rarely used), and a quarterstaff. All three of them need to be up close, and in turn, closer to enemy attacks. Sazh has machine pistols that combine into a long rifle, and can stand a few feet back and snipe while avoiding some enemy attacks.

Granted, it took some setup for it, but hey, I cannot complain while watching one of the better characters in the game mow down an annoying boss via liberal use of gunfire.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
Sazh's Blitz makes a lot of speedkills possible in the speedrun route for FF13. Yet another reason he's objectively the Best Character.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
The game's official walkthrough pretty much states that Dahaka is the boss who's main purpose is to get people to use TP on Dispels, I know I hadn't been using TP up to that point.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Do moths that cough up poison exist in Japan or is it a cultural thing? I see them a lot in anime and games over the years.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Scalding Coffee posted:

Do moths that cough up poison exist in Japan or is it a cultural thing? I see them a lot in anime and games over the years.
Well, yes and no. There are poisonous moths and moths do release a powder while flapping their wings - it's scaly bits of whatever material covers them. Then again, to get poisoned by a moth you'd have to eat it as the powder is harmless. I believe it's how the whole pixie dust thing came to existence.
To clarify, poisonous moths' venom is usually in whatever passes for blood in insects. They're taking one for the team in predator education.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

anilEhilated posted:

To clarify, poisonous moths' venom is usually in whatever passes for blood in insects. They're taking one for the team in predator education.

That'd be poison, still. Venom is stuff that's dangerous if it gets in the blood. Poison is stuff that attacks the stomach. :sci101:

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
moths look cool but what does it look like a moth can do that's threatening? Well it's a bug and it sheds flakes when you touch it, it LOOKS like it could be venomous. Poisonous. Hazardous. One of those.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Kajeesus posted:

That'd be poison, still. Venom is stuff that's dangerous if it gets in the blood. Poison is stuff that attacks the stomach. :sci101:
English 101 actually but hey, I learned something new.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Strange that half of the bosses that i think of when i think about Final Fantasy XII are going be the bosses coming up in the next couple of chapters, pretty much nothing beforehand though, except maybe for the Eidolon fights and Raines.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Update 41: The Sands of Time (Polsy) :siren:

Music

Dust to Dust (Oerba)

Lyrics(?) posted:

Nothing left to fear, l'Cie
Cradled in eternity
Shore of sand, your fate awaits
Oh surrender in the light

Bestiary

Datalogs

quote:

Dust to Dust

The home that Fang and Vanille remember is a beautiful place surrounded by flowers and nature.

But the Oerba that greets them after their long, perilous journey is a wasteland, covered in a layer of fine crystal dust. The hope they had been seeking vanishes like a desert mirage.

Though they have turned their backs on their genocidal Focus, the l'Cie's brands have not stopped advancing, and each passing second brings them closer to the moment of monstrous transformation.

Oerba, their last refuge of hope, is a hollow shell, devoid of life.

But they must continue on. They must follow the road to its inevitable conclusion.

quote:

Locales: Oerba

Fang and Vanille's former home, the village of Oerba is located at the northernmost edge of the Gran Pulse mainland. Villagers from several clans shared a communal lifestyle here, honoring the fal'Cie Anima as their patron and protector.

Today, what remains of the abandoned village is overrun by Cie'th and in the process of being swallowed by an approaching sea of ashen crystal sand dunes.

quote:

Analect IV: The Heavenly Deceit

Ragnarok took wing; made to smite Cocoon, and thereby deliver us our everlasting peace. But Her Providence would not let it be.

The Goddess pitied the fools who so blindly bowed to Lindzei's will, and so She robbed Ragnarok of power, putting the L'Cie to an early crystal sleep, focus yet incomplete.

-Sermons of the seeress Paddra Nsu-Yeul

Princey
Mar 22, 2013
I really like the music for this area. Even with the plot being completely nonsensical at this point, the music evokes exactly what they're going for here and pulled some emotion out of me in spite of myself when I played.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Oerba is the place where the game really beats you over the head with the whole "Fal'cie are evil!" theme, with the dozens of Cie'th who used to be Oerba's citizens milling about, the datalogs mention that Anima (I think) was this village's Fal'cie, and boy did he go to town on the place.

Come to think of it, it's never mentioned anywhere why the Pulse Fal'cie entered Human Genocide mode, unless they have the same reasons the Cocoon ones do, I don't think a connection is ever made there.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

I really like Oerba, it's the single most memorable location in the game to me. They actually succeed in building a melancholy atmosphere rather than just having the characters tell us how sad they are about stuff.

It's a shame they work hard to ruin it with tedious unavoidable combat, but then that's FFXIII all over, isn't it?

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

After playing Lightning Returns i can't look at Bakthi the same way. Although it cheapens it a bit to find out that he's something that was reused from this game, but i guess it's better knowing they are using him for something kinda interesting.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Time again for Interesting etymology time!
This time its for the adorable little robot, Bhakti.

Now the word has multiple meanings depending on context, literally it means portion or share, but in Hinduism it means 'One's total devotion to the worship of the divine', and it is also taken to mean intense love for the divine, and it is through that love and intense devotion that a devotee may achieve freedom from Samsara, the cycle of life and reincarnation.

More generally, in classic sanskrit, it has meanings of devotion , affection and fondness. It is used when referring to human relationships, most often lover-lover, mother-child, friend-friend or master-servant.

Finally it is also a unisex name.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Dec 2, 2014

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
For a while, I actually believed that Oerba would be a village where you could talk to NPC's. I forgot I was watching Final Fantasy XIII.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

For a while, I actually believed that Oerba would be a village where you could talk to NPC's. I forgot I was watching watching Final Fantasy XIII.

Fixed that for... oops.

It was a nice thought to have a desolate abandoned village to show you how the world has gone to poo poo. Too bad that you're almost done with the game and world building is pointless at this far in :v:

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
Cocoon is one of those places where you can tell the designers just dropped all the weird designs that had no cohesive theme to them. From the wide open fields, you can go to the remains of what looks like a Roman-esque civilization as an optional hunt. Progressing on to the main story, you've got a cave network full of steampunk robots that leads to the giant tower with the music box elevator that leads to...what looks like a post-apocalyptic modern coastal town. There's even a modern road running through Oerba with the dividing lines and a broken railway in the distance running to an oil rig. They've got modern computers, modern interior designs, and one robot for whatever reason.

Not saying that Oerba is poorly designed. It's beautiful and tells an amazing story without anyone having to outright spell it out. It's just rather strange that there'd be this one developed town in a world that otherwise seems to be full of ancient ruins and untamed wilderness.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Blastinus posted:

Cocoon is one of those places where you can tell the designers just dropped all the weird designs that had no cohesive theme to them. From the wide open fields, you can go to the remains of what looks like a Roman-esque civilization as an optional hunt. Progressing on to the main story, you've got a cave network full of steampunk robots that leads to the giant tower with the music box elevator that leads to...what looks like a post-apocalyptic modern coastal town. There's even a modern road running through Oerba with the dividing lines and a broken railway in the distance running to an oil rig. They've got modern computers, modern interior designs, and one robot for whatever reason.
I think you meant Pulse. Cocoon is the other place where the designers just dropped all the weird designs that had no cohesive theme to them.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.

Quantum Toast posted:

I think you meant Pulse. Cocoon is the other place where the designers just dropped all the weird designs that had no cohesive theme to them.

Right you are. Not a good idea to get the two confused.

Indeterminacy
Sep 9, 2011

Excuse me, your Rabbit parts are undetached.

Judge Tesla posted:

Oerba is the place where the game really beats you over the head with the whole "Fal'cie are evil!" theme, with the dozens of Cie'th who used to be Oerba's citizens milling about, the datalogs mention that Anima (I think) was this village's Fal'cie, and boy did he go to town on the place.

Come to think of it, it's never mentioned anywhere why the Pulse Fal'cie entered Human Genocide mode, unless they have the same reasons the Cocoon ones do, I don't think a connection is ever made there.
If I may hazard a guess, since Anima, the village's guardian, was moved to Cocoon with crystallized Vanille and Fang, maybe Cocoon actively invaded Oerba. A panicking machine God with a loyal flock of villagers being captured by people who would destroy it might have just turned every single one of them into l'Cie to protect it, and then, since we know Anima was still in Cocoon, they would all have failed their focus.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Like most things, this is explained in the Datalogs and nowhere else.

Datalogs posted:

The fal'Cie sculpted Cocoon in antiquity, using resources harvested from the world below. When Cocoon's shell was fractured in the war, they repaired it with raw materials again gathered from Pulse - buildings chief among them. Remnants of these structures, termed Vestiges, can still be found throughout Cocoon today. The centuries-old Vestige outside of Bodhum was believed to be nothing more than a harmless curiosity. The discovery of a Pulse fal'Cie inside its walls proved this false, however, leading to the detainment and subsequent Purging of countless citizens whose only crime was being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Knowing the Fal'Cie, the fact that they were basically repairing their floating moonbase with raw human suffering was considered a bonus.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

On one hand, they're a bunch of dirty house-sharing hippies. On the other hand, they keep a pair of handguns at their schoolhouse. Oerbans are weird.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Was going to do an update today but we're going to have a recording delay coming up so today's update is being moved to Friday, and instead I'll post the bonus videos for that update now. The first video is a showcase for all the summons now that we have them, and since my playstyle rarely (if ever) makes use of them, this is probably the only chance we'll ever really have to show them off. The second video is just another "You really shouldn't be fighting this guy but don't let me stop you if you're feeling ballsy" fight.

Bonus: Summon showcase

Bonus: Adamanchelid fight

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I couldn't help but notice that Sazh actually takes fall damage because of Brynhildr's final move. That's some weird attention to detail.

Also I see Bahamut's Mega Flare is based on the Kingdom Hearts version (small fireball that creates a gigantic explosion), instead of the usual Final Fantasy version (gigantic laser beam). It looks really cool, in any case.

I do like how some of the Gestalt attacks are similar to older moves the Summons have had though, like Bahamut's Pulsar Burst being similar to the older FF Mega Flare, or Alexander's Purification and Brutal Sanction being similar to older versions of Judgement.

Some questions about how Eidolons work: What's with the level on the final attack? They appeared as Level 2 or Level 3, perhaps some other number I didn't notice. And what's that clock on the left of the commands? Part of it turned red after every command but you seemed to be able to imput commands just fine even when it was ticking down.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Now that I see Hecatoncheir in action, it really does look like a bootleg Metal Gear.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

AradoBalanga posted:

Now that I see Hecatoncheir in action, it really does look like a bootleg Metal Gear.
Didn't Rikku have something like that in X-2?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Yeah the special dresspheres in FFX-2 were... special.

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

I couldn't help but notice that Sazh actually takes fall damage because of Brynhildr's final move. That's some weird attention to detail.

Also I see Bahamut's Mega Flare is based on the Kingdom Hearts version (small fireball that creates a gigantic explosion), instead of the usual Final Fantasy version (gigantic laser beam). It looks really cool, in any case.

I do like how some of the Gestalt attacks are similar to older moves the Summons have had though, like Bahamut's Pulsar Burst being similar to the older FF Mega Flare, or Alexander's Purification and Brutal Sanction being similar to older versions of Judgement.

Some questions about how Eidolons work: What's with the level on the final attack? They appeared as Level 2 or Level 3, perhaps some other number I didn't notice. And what's that clock on the left of the commands? Part of it turned red after every command but you seemed to be able to imput commands just fine even when it was ticking down.

I think that was an enemy taking the fall damage, as the number was gold indicating stagger.

The level on the final attack is based on how full the Gestalt gauge was when you activated the vehicle mode. It starts at level 1 of course, level 2 is I think at half full, and level 3 is for completely full. You fill the gauge just like you did in the puzzle fights, but for most people just flinging spells as a ravager will do.
The clock ticks down for you to choose one of the 5 attacks, if you don't pick one I believe it defaults to auto-gestalt, which picks one at semi-random. The big gold number in the clock is basically a point value, maxing at 30. That number is also based on how filled the gestalt gauge is. Each move costs some amount of points, so picking that move will deplete the counter by that much. It will NEVER go below 1, though, so you always have a chance to use your Triangle finisher move (which takes all your remaining points so you should save it for then anyway).

Also, all summons are on a timer, that SP gauge at the bottom, which also functions as the summon's health (they can and will take damage). Once that is depleted the gestalt gauge drains quickly, and once THAT is gone the summon leaves and gives your party a full cure. Summons will also give a full cure if the summoner is KO'd, so they're useful for getting a rest in difficult battles.

I have a question myself, because I could never figure it out. Can you switch targets while in Gestalt mode? Seems next to impossible to stagger other enemies if you can't.

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Kurieg posted:

Yeah the special dresspheres in FFX-2 were... special.

Both of those would probably be better designs if they didn't need to contain the humans. Like if Rikku's robot was just a robot with her beside, rather than her having a little indentation to ride in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

They were trying to adhere to the conceit of them being "dresses" though Rikku's is really stretching that definition as it stands.

• Locked thread