Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Baron von Eevl posted:

My previous roommate had a habit of falling asleep in the living room while masturbating to How It's Made.

I can't believe I have to say this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
The ambulance guys. They say, "What the gently caress happened here?"

I say, "He come to reaping what he been sowing, that's what."

They say, "Fucker been sowing some kind of heavy poo poo."

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

If that's his last one, that's a hell of a movie to go out on.

It's wonderful to see all of his feature film career culminate in basically the exact thing critics had been accusing him of for years.

He just can't get poo poo funded.

How utterly bizarre is that. He's a goddamn household name in the film industry.

CPL593H posted:

The other day I was on a date and we were talking about James Bond movies. At one point he asked me if Octopussy had a villain with eight vaginas. I think I found a keeper, you guys.

I like this guy.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Hey HUNDU, Rain Without Thunder is an absolute slog.

While its heart is in the right place (in my opinion, being strongly pro choice, having several friends who've had abortions and I'm for some reason ashamed to say having had to make a decision myself some time ago) the film is both shoddily made, incredibly moralizing and hilariously demonizing. The shift in midi-music when an anti-choice or a religious talking head comes up is hilarious. A priest sits in a darkened church with a light behind a goddamn big fan. The district attorney has musical stings as she speaks for added menace. The prison director lies and plays with a knife during the entire interview.

While I can sympathize with the point being made, this is both obnoxious and disingenuous. It's also shoddily made, pure made-for-TV quality film.

And while the case could be made for many of the above criticisms that it is simply a play on the format, as it's filmed in this faux reportage style, it doesn't commit to it whatsoever. The reporter is a non-entity, devoid of character. Which would be fine had they committed to the format, but instead they chose this bizarre mish-mash of news report and straight movie.

I did not like this at all. And I am so in their court on this specific matter, but this is just weak. Pointless. Who is it trying to convince here? If you want religious people and the like to understand your position, understand the ramifications, understand why women should have the right of their own bodies, you can't blatantly put them on your screen as talking heads and do everything short of flashing "THESE ARE THE BAD GUYS AND WRONG" in the frame.

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Apr 13, 2014

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
I like the shot in Summer of Sam where it focuses on the empty passenger seat while Leguizamo and Sorvino are having an argument, and all you can see is their gesturing hands poking in from the sides of the frame.

Also, this is a classic clip by now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaWtWAvUb-4

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

It's funny how these kinds of movies fail in different ways, too, that libertarian goldbug CGI poser movie is basically just trying to do urban fantasy (car chases, sassy alt-chick sidekick) and it may be even worse and more boring.

I have not heard of this, but I had trouble getting through Rain Without Thunder so I really don't think I could stomach this kind of lecture filmmaking if I also utterly disagreed with the ideology.

he's just a big softie clueless hunk.

Hahaha yes. It's like watching Derek Zoolander or something.

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Apr 13, 2014

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

It's called SIlver Circle. It took me like six hours to watch because it's so goddamn boring.

Good lord.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veO_W2HB0YI

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Watched Jug Face and was pleasantly surprised. I really enjoyed the look of the film, cinematography wise. The only thing that really felt like the movie's budget were the cruddy special effects, but they are kept to a minimum so it's not too bad. It's one of the few films where it felt like being extremely straightforward and unsurprising towards its conclusion served the story purpose.

Sean Young was kind of iffy though. But Lauren Ashley Carter was wonderful and I really want to see more of her.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Sean Young, iffy? She's always super solid in whatever I see her in.

Yeah, she has some really good moments but at certain points her acting just took me out of the film.

Trying really hard to be a redneck mother.

e: I think it's a combination of the writing for her and being slightly miscast in my eyes. It feels like she should be a terrifying force, I don't know. The words seem to come a tiny bit too forced, and maybe the character would have been stronger if a more imposing actress was chosen.

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Apr 14, 2014

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Its his perfect hair and he's always got that puss on. I honestly don't know if he's a bad actor or not, but I imagine him growing up and turning into Ben from Blue Velvet.

The only other movie I remember seeing him in was A Few Good Men, and in that he was pretty much a stoic soldier who keeps his mouth shut the entire time so who knows.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

CloseFriend posted:

I can't find any instances where I used the word "manipulative" in a review, but I feel more-or-less the same as you.

I thought The Majestic was a good example of a movie that others called manipulative that I found surprisingly heartwarming. I wouldn't call it a work of art, but it did its job better than I'd have expected.

I would call it a work of art.

I would call The Majestic a work of art.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Let's just quit using words altogether when talking about films. If you can't relay your criticism of a film through scat singing, you don't really belong in Cinema Discusso.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
How could I ever trust a person without earlobes. Honestly.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Don't waste your time.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Hat Thoughts posted:

Called "Pwnmeal" because it's making fun of nerds, to be fair.

It's mocking nerds by appealing to nerds.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

wyoming posted:

After reading the past few pages, I have the urge to give most of you swirlies.

I have no idea what anyone is talking about.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Hahahaha oh my god, there is now a True Detective / Family Circus mashup Tumblr.

http://timeisaflatcircus.tumblr.com

:allears:

Your enthusiasm for dumb poo poo is somewhat endearing.

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Apr 15, 2014

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
People should maybe not eat something literally called junk food. I guess it's more appealing than just calling it garbage food. Trash dinner. Rubbish cuisine.

I mean it hasn't stopped me on occasion, but do as I say not as I do.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Skwirl posted:

Pizza isn't junk food,

Dominos pizza sure is.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

therattle posted:

Spoiler that, fuckwad. Jesus.

I'm gonna back you up on this, sans fuckwad. Every synopsis I've read just says it's biographical about an airplane designer. Good on you if you already knew exactly who Jiro Horikoshi was, but most people don't.

Ew.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Which one has Yasmine Bleeth, the 'wessels' guy from Star Trek and the supporting cast of The Shield?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Slate Action posted:

Just picking the first one off the page, and it's brilliant.

I like how the narrator switches from homoerotic admiration to utter disgust in the span of a single sentence.

"Just imagine the embrace such muscle could accomplish, wasted on a girl; it could put pain to an ox, but who wants to embrace an ox?"

e:

Now this is some vintage LiveLeak material

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJvgSXSwNY4

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Apr 17, 2014

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Voodoofly posted:

This is still one of my favorite scenes of all time. I'd kill to just have enough talent to sit around and play highlights on that harmonica with them. Hell, just to have a washboard and do one simple shuffle at the end of the second song, just a little "scritcha-scritcha-SCRAW!" right as John Wayne smiles.

I'll lay down a wicked synth beat.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Voodoofly posted:

I think we need something a little warmer. Do you play a Clavinet perchance? The world always needs more Clavinet electro-acoustic funk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CFuCYNx-1g

Imagine that Rio Bravo scene, but suddenly the gang looks up, the lights dim and this happens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkkhcwXpYy4&t=16s

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

GonSmithe posted:

So here's a picture from Ryan Goslings directorial debut Lost River starring Saoirse Ronan, Christina Hendricks, Ben Mendohlson, Matt Smith, and Barbara Steele

:allears: I'm excited.

I wonder how much Refn has rubbed off on him.

Yeah, I know, tma

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
What am I watching right now, you ask? Oh, just a little film called

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

DetoxP posted:

So I watched Spike Lee's Oldboy remake today, and at about 40-50 minutes I was thinking, "This movie must poo poo the bed or something really soon, because everyone hated this and it's actually not bad."

Anyways, it poo poo the bed.

I was so excited at the start. It had its own style, the character felt new and that football fight was visceral and great.

But everything else happens.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Hewlett posted:

As soon as Copley shows up with his Dr. Evil voice, any hope I had for the film quickly shattered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEpIgHy1as8&t=33s

This movie stank.

e: This movie is an oddity. I have no clue why it's literally 98 minutes long.

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Apr 18, 2014

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
How come Hitler gets a girlfriend but this guy can't even get a date?

Oh yeah... Crabs.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Egbert Souse posted:

This is me reading about the Bryan Singer scandal:

"Oh great, another cash grab just in time for-"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5y6C-v5-j0

He dressed as a catholic priest for a (gay) Halloween party.

I mean that poo poo ain't evidence, but :lol:

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

CPL593H posted:

Well that's not good.

Ah, here we go

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

General Ironicus posted:

This is a short film we all need to see:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryuFiWy0GK4

(and it's almost as good companion piece: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HY2LdMNVG8)

This is the same guy as the 'How To' videos right?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

CPL593H posted:

This is less terrible because none of them are sitting in his lap and they all look old enough to be in college.

Oh I know, I'm just saying dressing like a catholic priest at your costumed gay get together while having a known propensity towards teenage boys is just...

It's really funny.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
This is like seeing a Sasquatch in the wild, or a unicorn.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

I just watched the Evil Dead movies for the first time yesterday. I love how they go from campy but reasonably serious horror in the first one to utter silliness in the second one and Army of Darkness with practically no inbetween.

I think Evil Dead 2 is the in between you're talking about, actually

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
There are so many good books to be read it's loving frustrating. I don't even know where to go at this point. I don't just want to read the classics, I want to discover. Problem being, that's many wasted hours if it ends up being mediocre or bad.

I mean, I'll sit down and waste 90 minutes watching Crazy Enough (TOTAL TWIN-SANITY!) starring Chris Kattan and Chris Kattan, but a book requires a whole lot more of a time investment. On the other hand, a book doesn't have the ability to take a piece of my soul once I've read it.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Anyone not at all interested in the TV show Hannibal and doesn't mind spoilers, here's something good and indicative of the show as a whole.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kR_T3RCB7TA

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Scorsese is a cool little man.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
And it's on youtube, so no excuses.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

PDMChubby posted:

Yes but would you listen to the band Bear in Heaven?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DDPwgcixys

I would. Good album.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Beyond sane knolls posted:

I think I randomly saw them in concert four years ago. Are they like noteworthy at all?

Their last two albums were solid, but I can't fault people for not digging them. They have that certain thing about them that is really obnoxious to some people. A distinct sound.

I'm trying to avoid the bullshit term 'hipster'.

Also, I like this video by PFFR's John Lee. The way the zooms get on my nerves and make me laugh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjW5rkXiQdc

• Locked thread