Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Neruz posted:

The goal is to make your factory self-replicating so it automatically expands, crushing aliens and slurping up resources until eventually the entire map is covered in machinery.

The true goal of Factorio, to reveal yourself as the enemy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

I haven't tried the "experimental" version, but the stable version has been insanely functional, I've had it going for a week with no issue. Are the experimental ones just as good at running steadily?

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

https://www.factorioforums.com/wiki/index.php?title=Console/Lua_commands

Particularly

code:
/c game.player.insert{name="alien-science-pack",count=100}
/c may not be necessary depending on version/mode

Or to spawn enemies

code:
 game.createentity{name = "medium-biter", position= {15, 3}, force = game.forces.enemy}
You may be able to change name to "biter-spawner" to get spawners to gen. Or just create a bunch of biters somewhere and they'll slowly generate their own spawners.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Thyrork posted:

Also known as "Best_Practices.jpg" :downs:

Multiplayer Factorio is wonderful. Me and Uhrm are really good at this.

More efficient than my main bus system that has around 40 lines at this point, including 9 lines of copper cable.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Is there a better/more space efficient way to run steam engines while also maximizing the amount of pumps you're using to pull water?

I alternated in near/far steam engines for each pump. So lowest pump feeds the bottom left row of engines, the next pump up goes all the way to the bottom right row of engines. Next pump up is the left side again, and so on.

I tried to fiddle with some tanks and feeding multiple in and out of them, but it wasn't pumping enough water all the way through the rows.

Slickdrac fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jan 7, 2015

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

LLSix posted:

What are your favorite ways to set up oil processing? I always spend as much time fiddling with oil processing as I do with everything else and it never works out as well as I'd hoped. Is there a good way to integrate it with a central bus?

Relatedly, I've been trying to find a thread on the Factorio forums, it listed how much power you could make on an emtpy oil field with various combinations of modules and cracking, but I can't find it. Anyone know the one in talking about?

Of course, as soon as I ask, I found it deep deep in my history

Slickdrac fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Mar 31, 2015

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Has anyone thought of/tried any good new challenges lately? I tried the no crafting one and a "linear" one, but those both played out about the same as a normal game with only minor differences. I was thinking about a no belt challenge, where you research directly to bots and then those are the only thing you are allowed to shuffle items around, but not sure if that would be too much CPU/GPU load to handle once the system gets large.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

Have you tried restricting yourself to a thin map? I've seen a few players try a game where they limit the map to 10-20 tall and try to make it work. Obviously reload if you're on an island.

That's what linear is. Kinda screwy since you can use the borders as an infinite water source.

Isn't this a faster method of transport than even belts with inserter upgrades?

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

You can build your entire base extremely compactly when you don't have to worry about belts and splitters.

You just need several thousand bots...

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Any idea what's going on here? Not getting any attack warnings, and nothing is traveling over any uncovered space.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Derp, should have clarified, I mean the counting down of the total.

And yes, I've been in constant need of more bots the whole time and 3000 is a lowball number of additionals.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

I think it might have been construction robots? Does it count those while they are floating in the logistics count? Running 11.19 I think, definitely well after the power destruction, and my base is a massive square so there is nothing possibly over nests.

Volmarias posted:

Some of your robots have formed a fight club :getin:

I want to see a mod with this in it now. Maybe bots that can be infected or go haywire.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Just do everything with bots.

Refine your ores

and your oil.

Make your fuel blocks

and of course, all the things.

It only takes a small army to do it

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

They were planning on last Friday, but it wasn't ready. They say this Friday seems realistic. So barring any major bug discovery, should be by next Friday.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Fans posted:

Combinators. Which can count things moving along a belt or in a chest and do computer logic. So you could have a belt only in use when you have less than 60 Steel or whatever.

Did they do a blag on that? First I've heard of that.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

AFAIK, nothing solid in any blog, but they've made dozens of posts talking about things they would like to do with water, which involves most of those things.

FISHMANPET posted:

Can you still get fish? The wiki says "mine water" but that doesn't seem to work.

Go up to the water and click a fish. If you're having trouble getting them, hit F5 and you can see the clickbox.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

How much do you use modules? I very rarely do, if I want more of something I just build more. The only things I do are Speed III modules in the furnaces in my circuit factory (one in each copper furnace) so that copper and iron are always being smelted, and in empty pumpjacks to increase their output. But I'm watching Arumba's video and they're all like "wooo modules!" and they're going for efficiency modules, which are powerful, but who cares about pollution? Unless you're intentially going for minimal pollution but in the course of "normal" gameplay I'm not sure why I'd rush for any modules.

I pretty much do the same way, except I always desperately need modules because of oil. I never have enough oil.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

kovarex posted:

There is big amounts of things that were broken week ago and not anymore

Perhaps tomorrow? Kinda cruel if kovarex posted that in a .12 status thread and it's for nothing.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Some of the more important changes to highlight, that we haven't mentioned in the last few pages:

-Assembling machine input slot can contain more than the usual stack size when the recipe requirement demands it (3 X recipe demand).
-Mousing over a train will show you its current path and blocks it can't enter.
-Building blueprints over existing ghosts restores the ghost time to live to full.
-Items on transport belts don't go off the belt at the end, so the transport belt has to go directly in front of the required inserter.
-All turrets are now 4x4; laser turrets are 4x more expensive and powerful, gun turrets are 2x more expensive
-Number of autosave slots is now configurable through config.ini
-Car / Tank ammo inventory is refilled from the trunk / player inventory when exhausted.
-Turrets can now be modded to use shotgun (and other not guided) ammo :getin:

Edit: Do note they change A LOT of the scripting so basically most of the commands don't seem to work anymore.

Slickdrac fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jul 17, 2015

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

To edit ammo type, open demo-turrets.lua in Notepad++ or something and go down to line 285. Change ammo_category to "rocket", "shotgun-shell", "cannon-shell", or "flame-thrower" for the various ammos.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Zephyrine posted:

Is the rocket launcher and flame thrower useful yet or is the combat shotgun still the only useful weapon?

Piercing combat shotgun is still vastly superior to anything else by far

dipwood posted:

Are laser turrets still the answer to everything?

Technically, gun turrets are now well superior to laser turrets with the sizes being equal, but both bullets and gun turrets getting upgrade bonuses.

Of course, you need to have enough resources to be able to pump enough munitions for a small country, so probably only best if used sparingly.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Zephyrine posted:

Are large bitters still immune to everything except piercing shotgun and lasers?

Resistances are the same as before. the behemoth biters have an additional 20% physical resistance though also do we really need to spoiler tag that?

Running some numbers with full upgrades

Gun turret is 48.4 damage at 26/sec (1258.4) with 17 range
Laser is 44 at 7.8/sec (348) with 25 range

They were "balanced" in dps/space before due to the size difference, but ammo requirement obviously was a thing making guns useless.

Large biters have 8 raw resistance to physical and bring gun damage down to 40.4 below laser, but still is triple laser damage factoring speed.

Spitters only have explosive resistance.

Behemoths 20% means that shots do only 30.72 per go, but still is 798 for dps, given the range difference, the new biter size kind of negates the boost given to gun turrets. Double the dps isn't really great given the resource requirement.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

^That has always been the case.

Bullets-a bit more effective than lasers
Flamethrower-comically useless
Rockets-hilarious, but you're basically certain to have them blow themselves up
Cannon-useful if you can setup a corridor to force mobs to cluster, otherwise brutal but expensive
Shotguns-you can't have walls, but take your combat shotgun and make it shoot even faster and harder...you can take out a moderately sized based with a single gun turret and piercing shells

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C6E-aVldis

I didn't notice any changes to armor except the generation and requirement being multiplied. I don't recall shields being this strong.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

I eventually managed to die, but it took 3 massive base swarms of large spitters and about 12 large worms all hitting me.

Edit: well poo poo :(

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Krysmphoenix posted:

go download the 1-minute rocket defense save and then you're allowed to brag about your fps

Link?

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Or just get Test Mode

http://www.factorioforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=46

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Are there any applied demonstrations of the new logistics devices? I have no idea how they work, or what use they are/could be.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Spaseman posted:

If you have tanks unlocked, shouldn't you already have laser turrets unlocked as well?

Laser turrets require power lines run, take a lot more power than before, and also take time to charge up.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Gibbo posted:

Why are you playing ~factorio~ if you're not going to bother learning how to set up a factory?

I have the same problem. Probably from habit of Minecraft/Terraria. My factories are pretty much limited to simple one resource things like basic ammo, belts, walls, etc. Or full on produce all the things behemoths AFTER I've cleared out at least a 10x10 chunk space to harvest resources. There is no middle ground.

Has the "no crafting" mod been updated yet? That was the only thing that helped me with making intermediaries.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Lots of space, but it looks good

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Can someone/is there some video/image guide to how to do that kind of stuff with fluid, I can only get it to work when I don't want it to, or work when I don't want it to. And yes, I have tried to set it up the way I didn't want it to work and it still did the opposite :v:

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Fluid management, and logic circuits I suppose since I've not really had much use of them. I have a giant system that cracks all light oil to gas, but doesn't touch heavy, and a separate one for fuel block making. Every once in a while I go and link the heavy oil from the production side to fuel making, but can't get it to do that automatically, and I'd like to setup an alternate valve that checks gas and if it's low, can send heavy oil into a cracking line if it's above a limit.

I tend to put 10 tanks together, so I dunno if it's checking all the fluid, or what fluid in which direction it's tracking.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

I think that's been a thing you could do for a while. Another handy use I've seen for that is for a train call button. Drop an unconnected train stop down and call it "Taxi Service" or whatever. Put a train on the tracks and set destination as that unconnected station. Then if you're miles away from where you want to go, you can drop a stop on your rail system, name it Taxi Service, and your train will be along shortly.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

85 hours in, I have basically all research complete, able to output about 250 MW of power, and I can produce about a dozen things at the excessive rate of 1 a minute.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

ToxicFrog posted:

I had no idea people even made arguments against loops. Loops own. All of my railwork is single-header trains with turnaround loops.

Factorio is the closest I get to playing TTD these days, since OpenTTD DFW on high-res screens. :(

The only arguments against loops I've heard is that it takes more space and limits where you can place them and forces potentially a bit of redesign of your loading stations, and that it takes longer for a train to get on the main line* (you would accelerate faster though, so this may be wrong depending on distance)

What happens if you do two trains pointed the same way? Do they both generate thrust or just one?

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Apocadall posted:

I don't feel the player should need to be anywhere near the combat zone, that's a robots job, or a nukes.

Yeah, but you'll have to get in there to disable their hand.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

ikanreed posted:

No, it's a less crashy alternative to a car. You won't lose anything from not using it.

Looks like it's perfect for island bases too based on that movement.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

I would say get the $16 deal while you can. You'll get a steam code anyway which probably will give you the scenario package. And if it doesn't, scenario pack is kind of meh anyway. I think I spent a total of about 20 minutes in there, which is probably higher than typical for anyone who actually got it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

What's the keybinding to put fuel into machines without having to open their gui and do it manually? I've seen it in videos but combinations of modifiers and clicking don't seem to be working (except to take fuel back out).

Ctrl+Click while holding the item. Also works for putting ore/stone into furnaces or items into assemblers that take that item as a component.