Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jake Armitage
Dec 11, 2004

+69 Pimp
Sometimes Louis CK is brilliant. Sometimes his misses are as good as a mile. That scene was a horrendous miscalculation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I'm scared to post about the attempted rape because a few pages of fat woman talk made a lot of people mad at me, so gently caress knows what this would do.

But that made me super uncomfortable. I'll leave it at that.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Grodin's scenes have taught me a lot.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
I know that shot in the misty park where he steps to the side and it turns out Amia was standing behind him is a reference to something but I can't remember what and it's driving me insane.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
An Antonioni flick? Woody Allen? A scene from Solaris? A scene from that Polish Decalogue thing? Something from that one Korean movie with all the seasons in the title? Maybe Louie is referring to all art the movies at once! :iiam:

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Grodin's scenes have taught me a lot.

The father I never had.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I can't wait for Louie to explain that rape attempt scene on O&A.

BIG CITY LAWYER
Sep 15, 2004

I believe it was the great American painter Bob Ross who said, "The key to a swollen vagina is... courage."
Ugh, yeah. I'm usually fine with his humor or message or whatever but having been in situations where friends kept pushing physically for something to happen and having to repeatedly tell them No and shove them away this made me extremely uncomfortable. I think that any message he might actually have will get lost or misunderstood in the process.

That hurricane thing was pretty awesome though, and I bet a bitch to film.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Charitably, I think he's hoping to make those people like the ones who did that to you, who see that scene, feel just as uncomfortable about it seeing it from an outside perspective.

BIG CITY LAWYER
Sep 15, 2004

I believe it was the great American painter Bob Ross who said, "The key to a swollen vagina is... courage."
Hmm. I dont know if a lot of people have that level of self awareness. There's usually a degree of "But I'm different because {reasons}!"

I'll hold off on scribbling angry rants on tumblr, but I'm a little concerned. Its possible that Pamela could school him hardcore in the next installment. WE SHALL SEE.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

It seems pretty obvious to me that Louie was supposed to look like a dumb rear end in a top hat in that scene. Am I wrong?

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

entropy posted:

I kept waiting for some interesting twist to it all, and it basically just ended up being "she left, he's sad". If it was just one or two scenes, I could get behind that, but this was the finale of a six-part episode, and the conclusion just felt really underwhelming.
Her leaving was always the inevitable, but I thought it resolved well why her attitude changed after they had sex.

Also the hurricane climax was pretty great, with the drama cut with the surreal exaggerations.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots

Breadallelogram posted:

It seems pretty obvious to me that Louie was supposed to look like a dumb rear end in a top hat in that scene. Am I wrong?

Probably not.

BIG CITY LAWYER posted:

Hmm. I dont know if a lot of people have that level of self awareness. There's usually a degree of "But I'm different because {reasons}!"

I'll hold off on scribbling angry rants on tumblr, but I'm a little concerned. Its possible that Pamela could school him hardcore in the next installment. WE SHALL SEE.

We sort of got to see the same scene with {reasons} last week, though? I'm not really sure what you're concerned about though. If you're expecting Louie to get on a soapbox to lecture the audiance about how rape culture is bad, I think you're gonna end up disappointed and might as well post your angry rant now.

LividLiquid posted:

I'm scared to post about the attempted rape because a few pages of fat woman talk made a lot of people mad at me, so gently caress knows what this would do.

But that made me super uncomfortable. I'll leave it at that.

Please post, thread was dead before fat chat and it died again after fat chat ended. If the people opposed to discussing the topics the show keeps bringing up are so bothered by it, they're free to discuss other topics.

verybad fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jun 3, 2014

BIG CITY LAWYER
Sep 15, 2004

I was kidding about the angry rant thing, that's not really my style. Its just frustrating to see that sort of thing played out on tv on a show I otherwise greatly enjoy. I'm not going to stop watching or call him angry names, it just hit me in a sore spot. I guess that's the point? I dont know.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Breadallelogram posted:

No

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

I really wish they didn't show episode 9 and 10 back to back, because episode 9 was this simultaneous heart-warming and breaking conclusion to a love story and episode 10's ending is just duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude. :stare:

Could've you at least make me feel a little good about Louie for a week? Is that too much to ask?

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jun 3, 2014

BIG CITY LAWYER
Sep 15, 2004

Yes.

Louie: Not the feel good show of the year!

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Thinking back on it, the stand-up bit in the middle of episode 10 is probably the most on point one this season. What with the whole "Oh, you're 28 and you think you are already locked in for heaven?" and the bit about the abuse of women.

nimh
Sep 18, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Ten people died in the Bronx last night due to a fire that killed ten people in the Bronx last night during a fire.

nuzak
Feb 13, 2012
The first episode of Louie showed him forcing himself on a woman, making roughly the same point, and the show has hit that same beat with regularity more than once a season I would say. Really don't think that scene with Pamela was necessary. even if blowback is coming in the next two parts (which weirdly have different titles? "in the woods", part 1 and 2), I would have preferred it to be more directly related to this episode, not have us wait a week to have Pam drop him off a roof for that horrible scene (if that's what's coming).

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Actually Pamela parts 2 and 3 are the final episodes.

In the Woods parts 1 and 2 might be a story arc... within a story arc? Or they're unrelated and Louis C.K. just wants that scene to hang in the air for a while.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think the forcing himself on Pamela scene was absolutely loving amazing and came out at such a perfect time, after all this Elliot Rodger stuff. It was kind of a brutal takedown of the whole "not all men" thing, showing how easily a normal dude can turn into a total creep.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

blue squares posted:

Second episode was pretty lovely. Did we need five minutes of standup from his special that's a year old?
It wasn't from "Oh My God" you goon, that was his monologue from SNL 2 months ago and this season took the better part of 2 years to film.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

I appreciate that Louie is not afraid to make himself look like human garbage so soon after his triumphant rescue of his family and a stand-up routine where he criticizes men for doing exactly what he was about to do.

Jake Armitage
Dec 11, 2004

+69 Pimp

Bown posted:

It was kind of a brutal takedown of the whole "not all men" thing, showing how easily a normal dude can turn into a total creep.

Except normal guys don't generally turn into total creeps. Total creeps turn into total creeps. I don't even know what you are trying to say here. Every man is a potential sexual assault waiting to happen? :wtc:

If I give him any benefit of the doubt for that scene, then I think he was trying to show how the same behavior can be sexy and hot and work in one set of conditions, and completely fail and come off violent and horrific in another. But its a lovely point to make, because if you can't tell in that moment that its not appropriate and unwelcome, something is terribly wrong with you and you should seek help. And that goes double when the girl is repeatedly saying no and pushing you away, as Pamela was. There's playful resistance, and then there's get away from me you disgusting creep and the way that scene was shot didn't leave an ounce of ambiguity. The more I think about it, the more I can't believe what I watched.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Mutation posted:

Actually Pamela parts 2 and 3 are the final episodes.

In the Woods parts 1 and 2 might be a story arc... within a story arc? Or they're unrelated and Louis C.K. just wants that scene to hang in the air for a while.

It makes sense in that it didn't seem to occur to Louie (the character) that he did anything wrong in that scene. For him, life will go on and he'll have an adventure in the woods, and then after that he'll have his next interaction with Pamela, where he'll hopefully get called on his poo poo.

One thing that particularly bothered me about that scene was Pamela's line about how this would be rape "if you weren't so stupid." As if Louie's awkward sad sack loner routine justifies what he was doing. I guess you could argue that was just Pamela trying to get through to him about what a massive creeper he was being?

I appreciate that this show takes risks to address issues like that, but that scene needs some well-done follow-up.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Mutation posted:

According to Louis' twitter, the "In the Woods" stuff next week is 90 minutes.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
It'll be interesting to see why he wants to hold back on finishing the other arc first ... I'm guessing there is supposed to be some kind of fallout from Pamela pt1, just weird that he wanted to throw some other episodes inbetween before that.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Jake Armitage posted:

Except normal guys don't generally turn into total creeps. Total creeps turn into total creeps. I don't even know what you are trying to say here. Every man is a potential sexual assault waiting to happen? :wtc:

If I give him any benefit of the doubt for that scene, then I think he was trying to show how the same behavior can be sexy and hot and work in one set of conditions, and completely fail and come off violent and horrific in another. But its a lovely point to make, because if you can't tell in that moment that its not appropriate and unwelcome, something is terribly wrong with you and you should seek help. And that goes double when the girl is repeatedly saying no and pushing you away, as Pamela was. There's playful resistance, and then there's get away from me you disgusting creep and the way that scene was shot didn't leave an ounce of ambiguity. The more I think about it, the more I can't believe what I watched.
It's a broader problem for the character, especially in this arc, when he's like a dumb baby constantly looking for cues on how he's supposed to act from other people. But this application was completely over the top. I can't imagine anyone identifying with the form of his actions there, it was so absurdly too far. Like at this point the character is flat-out retarded.

I just don't get wtf is happening. S2 of this show was most sublime series of television I've seen by about a mile - I don't understand why he's wasting film on this grotesque stuff.

Mutation posted:

Thinking back on it, the stand-up bit in the middle of episode 10 is probably the most on point one this season. What with the whole "Oh, you're 28 and you think you are already locked in for heaven?" and the bit about the abuse of women.
The stand-up was incredibly self-serving, which I guess was sort of the point. Who in America doesn't take domestic violence against women seriously? I can't think of anyone I know who isn't viscerally shocked at the sight of a man hitting a woman. People gasped in horror at Wolf of Wall Street, a movie in which a plane blows up for laughs.

If you want to talk about feminism on the show, talk about how useless his ex-wife was when push came to shove during the hurricane.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jun 4, 2014

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

Don't get caught by AIDS

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

No Wave posted:

Who in America doesn't take domestic violence against women seriously? I can't think of anyone I know who isn't viscerally shocked at the sight of a man hitting a woman. People gasped in horror at Wolf of Wall Street, a movie in which a plane blows up for laughs.

If you want to talk about feminism on the show, talk about how useless his ex-wife was when push came to shove during the hurricane.
I dunno, Chris Brown is still popular (or even moreso) and everyone laughed at Jay Z for not punching a woman. Bill Burr does a bit about mocking people against hitting women. If you trek to more uh, "conservative" places you'll definitely see people trying to make an argument for domestic abuse. Saying that domestic violence is dead kinda seems like saying Racism is dead. On the surface the status quo seems appalled by such ideas, but if you dig a little deeper... eh... Maybe this is something worth asking in Debate and Discussion though.

also here's an article about the whole rape thing:

http://www.vanityfair.com/vf-hollywood/louis-ck-rape-scene-pamela-part-one

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Jun 4, 2014

Tofu Injection
Feb 10, 2006

No need to panic.
I'm fairly certain that the whole point of the scene was to make you feel disgusted with Louie. I loved the "this would be rape if you weren't so stupid" line because it really sums the whole thing up perfectly. Pamela never felt like she was in danger, she just felt like Louie was being a fucktard which was absolutely the case.

widunder
May 2, 2002

Mutation posted:

Bill Burr does a bit about mocking people against hitting women.
To be fair, things can be taboo, unacceptable yet be the topic of a funny joke.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

What a weird two back-to-back viewing experience. I had misty eyes after episode nine and the opening to 10 with Louie wandering the empty apartment and seeing the red couch really hit me hard.

The rape scene seemed decidedly uncharacteristic for the show and totally took away my "d'awwww" feeling. I know Louie portrays himself as a helpless, clueless loser, but this crossed a line for me. I've always rooted for his character even when he was doing completely cringe-worthy things but I can't root for him crawling back to Pamela after how horrible she was to him and I really can't root for his pushy and scary behavior followed by a fist pump. I suppose we are supposed to be disgusted, but do I really want to watch a show where I'm disgusted by the behavior of the main character? What a let down.

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Not sure how they thought they could make such a complicated scene easier for readers to digest by breaking it down into gif form. Actually just makes it more silly if anything.

cheese and crackers
Apr 27, 2007
crackers and cheese

dantheman650 posted:

What a weird two back-to-back viewing experience. I had misty eyes after episode nine and the opening to 10 with Louie wandering the empty apartment and seeing the red couch really hit me hard.

The rape scene seemed decidedly uncharacteristic for the show and totally took away my "d'awwww" feeling. I know Louie portrays himself as a helpless, clueless loser, but this crossed a line for me. I've always rooted for his character even when he was doing completely cringe-worthy things but I can't root for him crawling back to Pamela after how horrible she was to him and I really can't root for his pushy and scary behavior followed by a fist pump. I suppose we are supposed to be disgusted, but do I really want to watch a show where I'm disgusted by the behavior of the main character? What a let down.

This show has become absolutely terrible. The first two episodes of this season were pretty good but it's degenerated into this boring shitshow where you learn to hate the protagonist more and more as you watch each episode. I really can't even sit through an episode anymore and it used to be one of my favorite shows

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I wouldn't go that far. I still think this season has had a lot of stellar moments and mostly high-quality episodes. Just this last one was in very bad taste to me.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

dantheman650 posted:

I wouldn't go that far. I still think this season has had a lot of stellar moments and mostly high-quality episodes. Just this last one was in very bad taste to me.

Don't you think that was the point? Do you think Louis CK intended that scene to be something the audience was rooting for?

I mean, saying it was in bad taste is the most facile of observations, akin to saying "I found the rape scene in Irreversible somewhat disturbing". Yeah, I should hope so! That's kind of the point of it, and making that observation is the equivalent of saying "I am in fact not too retarded to grasp the basic point of that scene, yay me!"

But stopping there -- mentioning that you understood the blatantly obvious thrust of a scene -- means you're just barely at the lowest level of comprehension of the show. A more astute observation would be, why did Louis CK (as the writer / director) want to disturb us in this way? What does that say about his character (on the show)?

But saying "I dunno about anyone else, but I thought the eye slicing scene in Un Chien Andalou was disturbing!" is not an interesting or original observation at all. Step your game up.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

regulargonzalez posted:

Don't you think that was the point? Do you think Louis CK intended that scene to be something the audience was rooting for?

Yeah, my only real problem with it is how completely out of character it was. It just didn't seem like the same guy that had been in the first 3 seasons, at all. I have no objection to the message, I just think the execution was pretty bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
If as the VF article suggests that was maybe an explanation for why Irma would have been unhappy with the sex they had, it is an answer to a question that nobody was asking. Louie's been so pathetic and weird this arc that really nobody needed any help understanding why she would regret sex with him, and really, I sort of wondered why she'd be hanging out with him at all (pre and post sex).

Now - what, he raped her, too?

No Wave fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jun 4, 2014

• Locked thread