Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Who got blown up by a bomb vagina after being forced into sex with her child soldier best friend whom she betrayed.

The reference to that in Super Smash Brothers Ultimate is kiiind of hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

7 had that awful plague food and the toilet in Lucas' deathtrap and the cop's neck and those giant puking zombies- I dunno I just feel like they've been making the remakes really gross after 7. Like, beyond the whole cannibalism aspect that naturally comes with zombie media.

Maybe I just don't remember 4, 5, and 6 that well.

This is how I feel about modern Mortal Kombat games. I know the fatalities have always been the selling point of the series, but the level of gore and violence in the franchise now is just too much for me and my weak baby stomach.

Injustice 3 when?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Nuebot posted:

Also: Resident Evil 3's remake is weird. They cut out a lot of Resident Evil 3. But also recycled a weird amount of Resident Evil 2 (and I don't just mean the obvious re-use of the police department which I was actually looking forward to). Nemesis is somehow less interesting and less threatening than both Mr.X from 2's remake, and the original nemesis and the game's enemy design is really lackluster. Also; There's some kind of vague implication going on that Nemesis is a plagas now and I kind of hate that

RE3 Remake seems like it needed more time in in the oven. It kind of feels like they rushed it out to capitalize on the RE2 Remake, y'know?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

So I'm playing through Nier Automata, right? And last night, I beat the game and got the first ending, Ending A.

(As a quick explanation, Nier Automata has twenty-six different endings, but only five of them are important. To get the full story you have to get endings A, B, C, D, and E.)

The thing is though, I had no idea I was getting near the first ending. There's a point of no return that once you pass, it cuts off most of your sidequests and locks you into the ending path, something that the game makes no attempt at all to warn you about...aaand it's something that I'm kind of salty about, because from how it's been explained to me, several of your sidequests are locked to the first playthrough, and once you finish Ending A you miss your chance to complete them.

It's left something of a sour taste in my mouth. Is it really that hard to make it more apparent that HEY THIS IS YOUR POINT OF NO RETURN GO FINISH STUFF NOW?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Wait really? So the people telling me I can't complete 6O's sidequests are wrong?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

Why does Hyrule even need that kind of balance though. It's like a Modern Democrat where it's just like "Why are you letting the Big Evil man out again?" "We need ~balance~" "Yeah, but do we really need to bring someone in who'll just kill everyone for the sake of Decorum? We could just not and say we did..."

Garon resurrects again and again because in Skyward Sword, canonically the first game in all timelines, Demise, a being of intense evil and hate, vows upon his defeat at the hands of Link that his hatred will be reborn again and again to lay waste to the lands. Said hatred constantly revives itself in the form of Ganon, waging an eternal war against the kingdom of Hyrule.

Link and Zelda are continually reincarnated to have someone to fight against Ganon and defeat him each time. Ganon isn't revived because of balance, Ganon is revived because of Demise, it's Link and Zelda who are reincarnated as a form of balancing him out.

But also:

Captain Monkey posted:

Because otherwise there wouldn't be a video game for us to play.

There's this too. :v:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

I've gotten farther into Nier: Automata and I'm enjoying it quite a bit, but I have to grip about something:

The fight at the start of Route C, where you're playing as 9S trying to protect the downed YoRHa members, is some absolute nonsense. There's so much going on with the static and EMP effects and black and red filters that it feels way harder than it needs to be. :psyduck:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Samuringa posted:

I'm not sure what the reasoning was but a lot of games had some sort of limit if you played on Easy back then, sometimes even let you play all the way through but then cutting the last boss and the ending.

One of my favorite SNES games as a kid, Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster Busts Loose, did this poo poo. I instinctively played games on easy when I was younger, so imagine my surprise when I revisited the game years later and discovered the game cut off entire sections of levels, boss fights, and even the entire penultimate stage if you dared to play it on easy mode.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Cleretic posted:

Actually, related: what are games that were made straight-up worse through content added later? I know that Assassin's Creed 2's GOTY edition (the only one you can get now) has the really lovely Bonfire of the Vanities DLC now baked into the main game story, so right before the final level you have to do a bunch of half-assed, unreasonably harsh missions.

The Crimson Court DLC for Darkest Dungeon can and will make the game an absolute loving pain to play through.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

I would love for Bully to get a sequel. :sigh:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Barudak posted:

I think one of my favorites in Yu-gi-oh is the second series protagonist deck ended up being really, really bad to the point where he got a new deck with the same gimmick but vastly better and more synergy cards about half-way in.

In the anime sure, but there is no universe where Neo-Spacians in the real world are anywhere near as good as HEROs.

Konami gave HEROs support for years while they just kind of forgot Neo-Spacians existed, then threw a bandaid at them in the form of the card Neos Fusion so they could be playable while ignoring their own gimmick. :argh:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Dark Magician is a solid mid-tier deck now. They threw enough support at it that it’s a far cry from being the awful mess it used to be, and Red-Eyes Dark Dragoon is an insanely busted boss.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

But his iconic hat though!

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

I'm playing through Batman: Arkham Knight, and I'm not finding the Batmobile as bad as most people have hyped it up to be. It's annoying at times and takes some getting used to, but it's not that bad.

Except for the goddamn Batmobile stealth sections. There's parts of the game where you have to blow up Cobra tanks with the Batmobile. They can only be hurt from behind, after following them for several seconds without being seen. The problem is that you have multiple tanks in a small area, and if one of them sees you, it will alert all of them to you, and like...two shots from one of them will blow up the Batmobile. The Batmobile stealth sections are by far the most annoying things I've had to deal with in the game, and it doesn't help that I'm at a part near the end where [spoiler]you have to deal with SEVEN of them at once[spoiler].

There's a special place in hell reserved for the developer at Rocksteady that thought Batmobile stealth was a good idea. :argh:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

1stGear posted:

Didn't FF15 have a similar version of the FF14 problem where the original development was taking way too long and the project leads had really stupid ideas so Square Enix had to bring in different leadership to slap together something decent at the last minute?

Kind of. FF15 was originally an FF13 spinoff.

When they announced FF13 they announced it as part of a huge thing called the FABULA NOVA CRYSTALLIS project, which would consist of three games: FF13, FF Agito 13, and FF Versus 13. They were supposed to be linked by a common mythos and have similar themes and elements, buuut development was taking way too long on the whole thing so everything got changed up.

FF13 got released, wasn't well liked, and ended up with two completely different sequels of it's own. FF Agito 13 ended up becoming FF Type-0 which got quickly forgotten.

FF Versus 13 ended up becoming FF15 and had basically everything changed from the original plans...and yet they still tried to make it into it's own universe like with FF13, with a movie and anime and poo poo.

...and now, it looks like the original plans for FF Versus 13 are being reused/retold as part of the Kingdom Hearts series, which is just kind of :psyduck:.

Modern Final Fantasy is kind of a goddamn mess.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

The sheer dysfunction of Square Enix is kinda fascinating to me. They're a huge publisher, they own the two undisputed king franchises of the JRPG world, but every major FF-related thing since the merger has been prone to all sorts of chaos. I admire that the franchise keeps trying new things, but planning seems to be an issue.

FF16 doesn't really interest me, but I am pulling for it to be good. Taking Nomura away and putting Yoshi-P in charge of it is probably a good idea. Nomura doesn't have to have his attention split between Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts anymore, and Yoshi-P can just work the same magic here he's worked on FF16. They didn't announce FF16 to be part of some big multimedia project or sub-franchise or anything either, so hopefully this time around they've got their poo poo all together.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What are the most vestigial systems that are clumsily grafted onto a game? As in it feels arbitrary in it's inclusion, acts as a pointless gap in the action, and doesn't feed into the other mechanics of the game? Assassin's Creed III is this in the extreme, but Assassin's Creed Origins was also fairly clumsy by suddenly introducing naval combat 40 hours in.

Bayonetta's vehicle sections are the goddamn worst.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

It seems endemic to a lot of "Video game 2"s, Digital Devil Saga 2 also had a terrible stealth bit that I couldn't get past.

Towards the beginning of the game, in the prison, trying to get past the jailer?

Yeah, gently caress that part of the game. That's where I gave up.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

What are the best and worst stop-gap side-games? This is when to fill the gap between two major installments of a franchise a smaller side-game is made, usually by another studio under the same publisher, and it repurposes the same engine and a number of assets. Sometimes it's intended to release on last-gen hardware.

Majora's Mask is one of the better Zelda games and did a lot with mostly recycled assets. Made in under a year too, I'm pretty sure.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Whatev posted:

Just beat Dark Souls 1 for the first time, which is also my first foray into any of the Souls games or their direct inspirations. I totally "got it," liked it a lot and completed all the optional content. However, turns out that Dark Souls Remastered includes a DLC called Artorias of the Abyss that has a new area, enemies, and weapons, but the sequence of actions you need to take to access it is pretty abnormal and not really hinted at, and apparently you can also lock yourself out of it if you don't do the first couple esoteric steps before the late game area the Duke's Archives. Beating the game also forces you into New Game+, so I'm simply unable to play this DLC without replaying almost the entire game again. That's a hard sell since I could just play Dark Souls 2 and 3 or Bloodborne or Sekiro! Lame.

Still a great game and everything but dang, that's about the most bizarrely obtuse way to bolt DLC onto a game as I've seen.

You should have been there when the DLC originally launched and it took people a couple days to figure out how to access it. That was a fun time. :allears:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

One thing I noticed while playing FFXIV is that you choose a job but you don't put any points into a tree, nor do you allocate points into a stat. It had one of these systems before it was removed for being superfluous. I agree with this decision because there's plenty ins and out with the jobs already, and there's gently caress all reason why a Healer would need to invest in strength. Warframe similarly had all the frames given static skills that you mesh with your gear and mods.

What systems tend to be in games that don't add to experience, and just make it look more complicated than it really is? The original Xenoblade had way too many sub-systems for character progression going on, when the only thing that mattered was being higher leveled than your opponent.

I feel like the weapon level system in Final Fantasy VII Remake doesn't add much to the experience, it was just a tedious thing to deal with every time you got a bunch of skill points.

After a certain point I just turned on the auto-level function and let the game handle it for me.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Imo there's no excuse for modern games to not give you some way of respeccing your characters nowadays.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Barudak posted:

If your game has a 100 gubbins to collect all over the map, add some way in game to add them to the map and tracks as I collect them. I get maybe during the main game you want to make them hard to find so I don't get overpowered or whatever but in post game theres no reason to not give that to me so I have something to do.

Spider-Man: Web of Shadows had 2180 spider token collectables hidden across the map.

The minimap tracker for them only unlocked once you had found the first 1000.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

In the original Mega Man X it's a common consensus to beat Chill Penguin's level first, to unlock the dash-move. The entire game is built around this skill because your basic moveset is incomplete without it.

What games have important, major features either poorly telegraphed or made optional when the core experience suffers without it?

No More Heroes has a dodge technique called the darkstep. It's incredibly useful for dodging enemy attacks and it leads into long combos.

The game never once tells you this is a thing that exists.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

GoutPatrol posted:

I just got the platinum in God of War, and I really enjoyed the game, except for one thing when you're going to change realms. There are three realms marked with something like "Not available, Odin won't let you" or something to that effect.

And its just like, oh, this is a Chekov's gun or something, you'll get to those realms and do something there for the end, and Odin will show up and start poo poo and then...nothing. You just beat the game and you never go there. Odin never even loving shows up, like this entire game is a set-up for the next one. gently caress you, lemme go there now!

I wouldn't be surprised if those realms were originally meant as some kind of DLC that got canceled.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

I didn't mind, but it was weirdly inconsistent. You have Norman Reedus modeled as the main character and voicing himself along with several others, but then Guillermo Del Toro and Nicholas Winding Refn are both body scanned into the game but voiced by someone else. It was a strange decision to put them in the game, but only half way.

Del Toro, at least, was too busy to voice his character in the game, but Kojima still wanted him in, partly because they're friends and partly as a way of making up for P.T.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

In a similar vein there’s a Vampire: The Masquerade battle royale that got leaked last week, something that no one has asked for.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Len posted:

Its a zelda game it has a master sword

This one gets sleepy though

The Master Sword is only in like, half the games in the series though.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Unfortunately we've known for a while that Cyberpunk was going to be a mess in regards to sex and gender.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/cdpr-is-a-transphobic-company-its-time-we-stop-making-excuses-for-them.307474/

It's uh...it's kind of been a messy road. :sigh:

EDIT: Also you probably shouldn't play the game if you're prone to seizures, so there's that too.

https://www.gameinformer.com/2020/12/07/cyberpunk-2077-epileptic-psa

Vandar has a new favorite as of 09:50 on Dec 8, 2020

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

I love pretty much everything about Darkest Dungeon except for actually playing it.

StealthArcher posted:

Darkest Dungeon suffers from a pretty acute case of EA rot, where fanatics play it endlessly and the feedback becomes entirely about how it needs to be made harder utterly poo poo.

Those fanatics are why I never buy anything in early access anymore.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

Are you familiar with Riddler trophies?

*screams*

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

I began playing Arkham Knight this year and got to the end of the Riddler bullshit questline only to see him sink into the floor in his stupid power armor and scream at me about the trophies.

After all of the bullshit I already went through, I will be damned if I'm letting that rear end in a top hat get away without giving him a sock in the jaw. I don't care if it is the most banal, awful collectathon ever, I'm going to get all those stupid lovely trophies one day. :argh:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Bogmonster posted:

I actually found it incredibly soothing to collect every ? On the AC Odyssey map. No idea why.

I'm playing through Odyssey at the moment and there's something really relaxing about checking off those ? marks. Oh, cool, another fort. I'm probably not going to bother dealing with it, but getting it checked off on the map and seeing it's name flash on screen makes me happy.

Cleretic posted:

Whereas I saw the exact same thing and never explored it, because I knew that the reward was going to be a single spirit orb and I can get one of those way easier elsewhere.

There's actually three labyrinths and the reward for them is actually pretty good and one of them has the greatest troll moment in the game and is worth experiencing at least once.

Maxwell Lord posted:

What I would like to see is an open world game with a really distinct and weird environment. We’ve seen plenty of post-apocalyptic nature preserves, I want neon jungles and giant crystal mountains.

I'm mostly bored with open world stuff these days but an open world game that went all out with all kinds of crazy environments would hook me right back in.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

At least Arkham Knight didn't have the lovely as gently caress character-specific Riddler trophies like Arkham City did. :argh:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

The Catwoman Ridler trophies were actually extra and not required (or even allowed you to grab them instead of the regular ones.)

They're still there! They have to be collected! They just have to!

What really broke me on them is when you visit the Iceberg Lounge as Batman and there's a Catwoman trophy just loving sitting there out in the open. No riddles, no puzzles, just a trophy just sitting there by itself.

JUST PICK IT UP, BRUCE. JUST PICK UP THE drat THING AND GIVE IT TO SELINA LATER.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

What was that? You want more Rabbids? You got it!

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Assassin's Creed Odyssey bitching:

Ship battles aren't great. It's fine when it's just one-on-one or one-on-two fights, but the moment you accidentally draw more ships into your battle, it stops being fun and starts being a massive pain the rear end.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Zoig posted:

Yu Suzuki, the guy who made shenmue literally doesn't play or observe other video games which is why shenmue 3 was such a disaster. He straight up didnt look at everything that had been achieved and the advancements that had been made in game design, and when trying to make shenmues combat more accessible turned it into grinding for stats and having a built in input delay so that it can read button combos easier and make something "meaningful" happen every time. Just the combat alone is broken, but there's a daily cutscene that's unskippable and adds nothing, a segement where you are forced to gamble, just a billion bad decisions and the game ends on another drat sequel hook after basically nothing happens for the whole game.

Super long video but as someone who hated the original games and had no interest in Shenmue 3, it’s an absolutely fascinating look at just how bad Shenmue 3 is.

https://youtu.be/FpNAKDx4CwY

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'm picturing a minigame very much like Lemmings.

Why isn't Lemmings gameplay a thing anymore? Lemmings used to be huge, there were ports for any system you can imagine, a not insignificant number of knockoffs, and it seems to have completely dropped from the collective gaming consciousness.

Sony owns the franchise and decided not to do anything with it anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't that just if you put the puzzle difficulty on hard?