Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Twitch posted:

Also, the whole time it had the slave revolt going on, all I could think about was how these people were literally only villains because the game said they were.

It's funny really, they didn't even include the standard Shootmans Game War Crime Scenes.

I mean, the revolt does what that's terrible enough to change our minds, other than Daisy? They break into a lobby and wreck up the place? They riot in a rich neighbourhood right after the game makes a setpiece of the civilians being safely evacuated?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I don't see why people get so mad over ME2 planet scanning. Unless you were going full sperg, you had to do it for maybe five minutes, at which point it was a nice Uncharted Worlds soundtrack-break from shooting mans. There were like three (I think?) plot important upgrades, which were blatantly telegraphed by your crew going HEY COMMANDER I DON'T THINK THE SHIP IS UP TO SNUFF.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I'd forgive all of Oblivion's gameplay flaws if it wasn't for the setting.

Pocket Guide to the Empire posted:

Akaviri dragon-motifs are found in all quarters, from the high minaret bridges of the Imperial City to the paper hako skiffs that villagers use to wing their dead down the rivers. Thousands of workers ply the rice fields after the floodings, or clear the foliage of the surrounding jungle in the alternate seasons. Above them are the merchant-nobility, the temple priests and cult leaders, and the age-old aristocracy of the battlemages. The Emperor watches over them all from the towers of the Imperial City, as dragons circle overhead...

From the shore it is hard to tell what is city and what is Palace, for it all rises from the islands of the lake towards the sky in a stretch of gold. Whole neighborhoods rest on the jeweled bridges that connect the islands together. Gondolas and river-ships sail along the watery avenues of its flooded lower dwellings. Moth-priests walk by in a cloud of ancestors; House Guards hold exceptionally long daikatanas crossed at intersections, adorned with ribbons and dragon-flags; and the newly arrived Western legionnaires sweat in the humid air. The river mouth is tainted red from the tinmi soil of the shore, and river dragons rust their hides in its waters. Across the lake the Imperial City continues, merging into the villages of the southern red river and ruins left from the Interregnum.

The Emperor's Palace is a crown of sun rays, surrounded by his magical gardens. One garden path is known as Green Emperor Road-here, topiaries of the heads of past Emperors have been shaped by sorcery and can speak. When one must advise Tiber Septim, birds are drawn to the hedgery head, using their songs as its voice and moving its branches for the needed expressions.

At one point, all of Elder Scrolls was weird and awesome like Morrowind. Now TESO spreads across what's left of the setting that we haven't seen and conforms that, no, it's just fantasy England or not-Arabia or Rivendell or whatever after all.
:goonsay:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

grittyreboot posted:

I actually think Skyrim would be better if they removed the minor cities and moved those characters and building just outside of the hold capitals. It would give the remaining cities a much more realistic feeling of urban sprawl and make the rest of the world seem more untamed and dangerous.

Yeah, that's one thing I much preferred in Oblivion. In Skyrim I never felt like I was really deep in the wilderness, far away from anything more civilised than a campsite. The vertical emphasis might have had something to do with it, splitting the world into regions in such a way that you always know where you are. Parts of Oblivion, though, especially in the east had a way of making you feel miles from the nearest road.

That said, I've also heard people say the exact opposite so it might just be me.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Cleretic posted:

There are three different types of Daedric Prince:

A: The fun ones (Sheogorath, Sanguine, arguably Clavicus Vile)
B: The violent ones (Mehrunes Dagon, Malacath, Molag Bal)
And C: The rest.

If you aren't in A or B, then good loving luck even having your name remembered.

Well, it's their own fault. You gave nocturnal, prince of the dark, then namira who handles disgusting stuff in the dark.

Not to mention I think there's at least three who deal with different bits of betrayal and sedition... :v:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

It doesn't seem that bad - if the veteran whatevers are the actual endgame itself. It's just a more structured approach than being able to do every raid from the get go, which escalating difficulty would usually make impossible anyway.

That said there's a ton of grindy looking poo poo thrown in there. And if that's just attunement, then :suicide:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

The thing with the attunement is that half the things on the list are the actual endgame content. Tempest Keep, SSC etc are proper, hard, endgame raids that you had to do to get to the biggest baddest of them all. It's not *just* busywork (though there's plenty of that, and it sucks) - it's like complaining that you have to get through the early planets in Mass Effect to get to the later ~endgame~ ones.

My spergy pet peeve is any fantasy RPG where you constantly get referred to as 'adventurers'. Or worse, ones who treat it like a profession, like 'oh my son is a farmer, and my daughter went off to be an adventurer'. It's just dumb as hell. Wandering the world heavily armed fighting things is something you do because important plot poo poo is going down. Imagine Lord of the Rings if they ran into a bunch of other Fellowships along the way that just sort of dithered around killing miscellaneous poo poo and living off a somehow endless supply of 10,0000 year old ruins, because work is work and it's not taxed or whatever.

Basically, turning heroism into a profession in order to cram game mechanics/D&D tropes where they don't belong.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Tunicate posted:

Isn't that basically the Rangers' entire schtick?

They're more of a decrepit army turned nomad, still protecting the ruins of their kingdom and the people beyond. That's the thing, like Calavreon said there are so many slight changes that make it work much better. They joined the army, they turned to banditry, they're travelling to find their lost uncle.

Anything that doesn't suggest they've taken 'you all meet in a tavern and go kill a vampire' not as a perilous adventure but a day job.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Well one of the bigger letdowns of ME3's writing imo was the transformation of Cerberus into a vast evil superpower with truckloads of cannon fodder. Basically space COBRA :moreevil:

Before that, they kind of had tons of cells that probablyt ran the whole spectrum of pro-human-ness. They only reported to TIM himself, so he was the only one who really knew where the group as a whole fell (:turianass::shrek::eng99::moreevil:)

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I really never though Ashley was a space racist, though there's some lovely writing with the dog comparaison. I don't see a problem in a soldier objecting when a space somali warlord, a foreign ship technician, a guy we were at war with ten years ago and the daughter of a major politician are being allowed to poke around a top secret cutting edge warship :shrug:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Hey if we're doing really obvious trolling that people will inevitably fall for I've got one:

Kingdom Hearts is a lovely franchise for literal infants

"DONALD DUCK SCORED A CRITICAL HIT ON SEPIROTH FOR 9999 DAMAGE!" Yeah that's a game adults play

Try not to step on any legos when you run upstairs from the basement when mom says your hot pockets are done

But this is true?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Doesn't help that Obsidian's ways of 'dealing with' rape and genocide are using them to show Caesar's Legion are cartoon bad guys with the subtlety of a sledgehammer

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

dataisplural posted:

i too wish they focused on the positive aspects of rape and genocide

the problem isn't lack of nuance, it's that the Legion's crimes could be switched for puppy killing and have the same impact. It's cheap 'THEY'RE EVIL DO YOU SEE GUYS' shorthand, not Clockwork Orange or 1984

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

My favourite morality system is where characters act according to the personalities the writer gave them instead of a coverall code with its designated god, lucky colour, magic power, spirit animal and afterlife

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

counterfeitpinecone posted:

Somebody on here once pointed out that you start the game being outfitted by Sarif with probably millions of dollars worth of experimental military-grade combat augmentations then spend the rest of it scavenging 10mm bullets from abandoned petrol stations and corpses, 4 rounds at a time

Because augment yourself all you want, you can never escape capitalism maaaaan

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

This is because Gilgamesh represents the player in their purest form. No regard for the story, the world, anything like that. Just an obsessive desire to get the best, biggest, shiniest weapons.

My whine is when games do this, like when Skyrim had all these asides about how the PC seeks power and shiny things with no regard for anything else. I just don't play games that way, so it's always kind of jarring. I'm not interested in loot and minmaxing numbers is the most boring thing in the world so I wish games wouldn't try to be clever by going 'ah yes, gameplay mechanics don't make sense in real life. you killed how many people again?'.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Leal posted:

Basically all my gameplay for the past couple of hours was "Task complete: Anything. APC located 100 meters nor-"*entire squad dies*

Well it is a sim and that does sound like the Genuine Warfare Experience :v:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

My favourite truth in the middle thing was when they showed the rich neighbourhoods being evacuated. I was expecting lots of cheesy scenes of the Vox mistreating people, but no apparently they only attack soldiers, the neighbourhoods are empty of civilians, and the worst you see is that the rich had to leave all their stuff behind.

And these are the people the game says are just as bad as literal slavers.

I'm not even a communist, but come on.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Yes, that's the worst they show and definitely not the wall with bloody scalps hanging on it.

But IIRC there are like three, and all the bodies are of soldiers. It's not exactly nice, but on the other hand, slavers.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

If I directed Bioshock Infinite I would put in a game-mechanic whereby the more random snacks you eat, the fatter you become. You'll run slower, you'll jump lower, and your fingers would become too fat to operate any handguns.

This is un-American.

Strategic Tea has a new favorite as of 16:09 on Aug 9, 2015

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I'm replaying Dark Souls and just got to the Duke's a Archives. This is supposed to be Seath the Scaleless's labratory and library but he's a huge gently caress off dragon and everything here is man sized. How is he supposed to get inside? There aren't any dragon sized doors anywhere. Even if he got in how is he supposed to do research? The books would be the size of a postage stamp to him.

Real shoddy story telling Myazaki.

Actually the Archives are one of my favourite little things in games. All around you'll see huge piles of rusted machinery. Throughout the rest of the city, there are tons of contraptions to rotate bridges and move entire towers. What I take away from it is that Seath designed Anor Londo's mechanical la de da and the traps in Sen's fortress. It was only after he began researching immortality and IMO designing the bonfires that he lost it and left his machines to rust.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

How on earth are people running out of inventory space in Witcher 3? Unless you're literaly stopping playing every five minutes to spam your loot all key all round every peasant's hut. Which would be my little thing dragging the fame down, if I actually did it...

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I thought it was a good twist because that's what 'kill the rich hurr hurr' actually involves.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Jastiger posted:

It'd make more sense if you could do something about it after letting them in and punish those responsible without being called "evil".

Bourgeoise spotted :v:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Cleretic posted:

Slowly, I've realized the biggest problem I have with Fallout 4. Everything else I've complained about here or elsewhere is a problem, but it's one I can fix and then not worry about. But there's a big one that's been staring me in the face, that I don't think I could reasonably ever fix.

Bethesda games are all about playing the character you want to play, how you want to play them, and that's what I love about them.

But I don't want to play as a straight, married parent.

I understand that Fallout is a bit more confined than Elder Scrolls, and that's okay, but every Fallout protagonist is very lightly defined and can fit most any character type. New Vegas' Courier had a defined job, but that's all; their past and their life was left open for us to fill in. Before leaving the Vault, Fallout 3's Lone Wanderer lived a life that could've just as easily produced a psychopathic axe-murderer or a nonassuming, quiet thief, however you wanted to play it. Sure you had a dad and were looking for him, but everybody has a dad, that doesn't really shave it down. And that same open-ness in character creation goes back to Black Isle's offerings, it's always been there.

Fallout 4's protagonist is way too defined in comparison, because the entirety of the story hinges on them being a type of person that not everybody wants to be, or play. They aren't just a character that happens to be in a straight marriage and has a child either, the entire drive of the story is to find your child. Not only is that really confining given how many Fallout characters people make really would not be marriage material (certainly none of the three characters I usually play in RPGs are the type), the 'straight' part is almost offensive given how the Fallout series thus far has been, almost accidentally, really sexually progressive.

EDIT: One of the first mods that will come out once we get the Creation Kit, I'm sure, is a same-sex marriage mod. And that will probably be the best we can hope for in terms of a fix, I'd certainly accept it, but it's still going to be a problem that will never go away.

:agreed:

As an immersion sperg, I just don't want to play as the kind of person who'd be idyllic and happily settled in Fallout's awful pre war dystopia.

It's like if Skyrim started you as a happily married Thalmor interrogator enjoying an early retirement (wait no that would be awesome)

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I imagine "hey want to look at my wares" actually costs $500 a word, plus more for acting. Because it needs to go through an 8 step writing flowchart and a lore consistency check of course :thumbsup:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Sounds like you'd already decided you wouldn't like the game tbf :)

Aso I recommend not hoarding or looting anything much in TW3 or any other rpg because a) it's boring and b) there's never any point

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

It's not like you have to slog through reams of text. It summarises very clearly in your face with three pictures 'weak to <magic ability><potion><sword buff>'. Most of the time you don't need to exploit the weaknesses at all and the only clunky interface bit is pressing b to bring up the bestiary.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Isn't the plot about a Nice Guy rescuing his beloved except it turns out she's running away from him and prefers some DUMB JOCK?

No half assed nuclear bomb analogy can redeem that.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

The Byzantine Emperor supposedly had a mechanical throne with metal birds that would chirp and flutter:to impress visitors :krad:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

quote:

My point is it took itself way too seriously for what it is. Like yeah, let's take Mario and turn it into a shounen anime, what can go wrong?

Found your problem :v:

(Seiously though just because worthless hacks can't do it doesn't mean it can't be done)

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

But yes sonic and mario are no place for plot

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

smuh posted:

Talos Principle so far has two things gettin me down:

So you have a great puzzle game, one where you really have to work your head to get the solutions to a lot of stuff, and it feels amazing when you finally get the solution after half an hour! So why not gently caress that poo poo up by having ONE puzzle that requires insane dexterity from the player instead of thinking??? Seriously, one god drat problem that I can NOT solve by taking my time to think through it. I know what to do, I am just not fast enough to do it. Spent nearly an hour on it and could not complete it only because I am not fast enough in aiming and switching my target on the fly. That absolutely would not be so bad if it wasn't the only puzzle in the game to pull this poo poo. Like how frustrating is it to get through everything else with brainpower only to realize I can never 100% the game because of one bad puzzle.

Another thing is that outside of puzzles, the game likes to challenge you on philosophical thinking. Except since all your answers and arguments are pre-made, you can't really say what you want and the game does its best to make you look like an idiot thanks to that. Putting this in spoilers just in case: The game asks me what I think should be equal in society. At first I say the amount of goods for everyone, meaning everyone should have a chance to get fed well instead of dying on the street. So the game asks me what the hell kinda bullshitter am I for wanting hard working people to not get any benefits over lazy ones? 'poo poo game, that's not what I meant' I want to say, but there is no other option but to double down on it with 'being lazy is like being literally brain dead' or backing out. So I back out and choose Liberty and Freedom. The game asks me if Stalin and Gandhi should be treated the same, then. Like what the hell? This is like trying to argument with a child, except you can't say what you want but have to choose only from extremes.

No huge spoilers there, only two conversation options. But two more things to surely drag this otherwise great game down :argh: At least I only paid :10bux: for it.

But Gandhi was a nuclear warmonger? :civ:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Stuntman posted:

The alt-right is gaining a disturbing amount of traction and GBS is basically ground zero for the experiment of letting conservatives have free reign of the forums. It's lovely, but it's the reality and I don't see it changing anytime soon. As awful as liberal GBS was to read, it was at least correct and wasn't harmful.

It's not the right, it's leftists who are jealous that gays and women got rights while the 'murder the rich heh but only ironically of course' movement got ignored.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I for one am not being ironic on that matter, kill the rich and their liberal enablers

You are posting on in tenbux video game thread from a device that is worth literally thousands of days of twelve hour backbreaking factory labour.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Woolie Wool posted:

What? You're expecting schlocky video game space opera to actually be creative?

The ME protheans were cool when it turned out that (at least in their final days) they were just pointlessly cruel bigots who couldn't get enough of burning puppy orphanages :smuggo: for the good of the galaxy :smuggo::smuggo: making the hard choices

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Cythereal posted:

The final Inquisition DLC fixed that, though, by revealing that if you killed Leliana in Origins then the Leliana you've been dealing with in 2 and Inquisition was never actually her.

Okay that's pretty cool and makes me want to finish inquisition

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Please don't taint the name of lord of the rings with plastic dungeons and dragons pap :smug:

Seriously though, most of the 'generic fantasy' stereotypes are taken from tolkein but only after being wrung through the commercial comic-book-grade wringer that they're totally changed

E: goonsay x1000

Strategic Tea has a new favorite as of 22:10 on Jul 6, 2016

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

MisterBibs posted:

Yeah, CHIM. It's also used to justify why places like Cyrodill went from unplayable rainy fields of rice to Generic Fantasy Land: Tiber Septim did it. Players and major characters have CHIM.

I can't remember the guy's name (I wanna say Kirkbride but that could be someone else), but there was one guy who fleshed out parts of the lore who was literally crazy, yes. Like, years after Morrowind came out, he decided on his own to write a ton of short stories to explain The Real Truth (tm) about things. None of it was folded over to the later games, though.

Nah Kirkbride is the guy. He made Elder Scrolls lore into a beautiful black hole made of two parts LSD and one part Buddhism

The Cyrodiil retcon was dumb as gently caress though and it's blatant rear end covering for a marketing decision. In my heart Cyrodiil is still Imperial Chinese Venice, capital of the Roman Empire.

Strategic Tea has a new favorite as of 22:14 on Jul 6, 2016

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

It's just one tool in the ~games are art~ toolkit. We started out making games where YOU get to feel go because you're the hero who kicked rear end. Now we've learned that YOU can also feel bad because YOU pressed f to white phosphorous. Basically let's get over the cool new idea already and use the tools as tools rather than the focus points for game after game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I think it only becomes silly when the game seems to morally judge you for continuing to play.

The only possible immoral element would be if you were loving all the civilian murder and couldn't get enough. As it is the game is trying very hard to make you not enjoy the carnage, hence the WP Full Life Consequences.

Otherwise no you aren't 'complicit' by continuing to play because it's all fake and you're presumably looking at it in the bleak, depressing spirit it was written in. Halfassed analogy - you aren't complicit in Vietnam because you didn't stop watching Full Metal Jacket the moment you realised no action romp was coming.