Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Azran posted:

It's an uninspired old-school RTS. There's literally no reason to play it over, say, Company of Heroes II and that is really sad.

I was really hoping for nothing more than a modernization of Act of War but they apparently screwed even that up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Physics damage isn't really a thing in arcade air, right? Was playing a match and lit up a P-51's wing with cannon fire, turned to get behind him and while he was turning his wing ripped off and gave me credit for the kill, which I was under the impression couldn't happen in arcade without actively shooting something.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007

chairface posted:

He couldn't die in arcade (or even be damaged) from over-g or over-speed purely, regardless of damage, no. It may've registered your hits later or else someone else actually broke his wing off and you got credit, or he had a fire that you caused that took his wing off. Or he hit a tree.

No visible damage apart from a fuel leak, unless the fire wasn't rendering or something, and we were about at about 1500 meters up off the ground with no one else with us. I must've missed someone else near us that finished him off.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007

chairface posted:

AB's gotten really weird now. Sometimes losing part of a wing = dead and other times you can fly around just fine like that.

I had a battle earlier today where I lost half of both wings and my elevator and it still counted my plane as flyable despite having no real way to control the aircraft. It was a little frustrating after all the times I've had my almost completely fine aircraft declared dead. Maybe I should move to RB.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007

The Hurricane MKIV is hilarious. Are there any other aircraft with ridiculously over-the-top firepower for me to try and rush? Also should I bother changing from the default belts with the MKIV? It kills almost everything in one shot already, not sure if it's worth the time.

ArchRanger fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Aug 9, 2015

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007

Do I need to be a special game mode or something to get progress on the event? I didn't realize it was going on but I've been in my KV-1 and T-34E in AB all day without a single tick of progress towards the achievement apparently.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007

Alchenar posted:

It took me a while, but look directly above the Tiger... I think.

I think way off to the right on the ice floes. Maybe. Jesus.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007

So I've only been playing for like a month but I'm already pretty sick of these events having random rewards. Completed six Exhibition challenges, getting three battle trophies, and got silver lions for each and every one. I guess it's a good thing it's only skins for the aircraft and not something more substantial at stake.

ArchRanger fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Aug 29, 2015

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007

gently caress you too War Thunder.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007

Nickiepoo posted:

Either the matchmaker hates me or the M3 Lee is painful to play as. Endless T-34s and Pz-iv F2s.

I just switched to playing Germans and yeah, reaching 2.3 is *awful*. Endless tanks that I'm lucky if I can pen that can easily blow me to hell. Also still wondering why the hell they centered the targeting reticle for the Lee on the 37mm instead of the 75mm. Yeah, I could mess with the bindings to make it more usable, but I'm lazy and it's still weird.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007

lenoon posted:

There doesn't seem to be any point in flying anything German that isn't a single seat fighter - is there anything worthwhile up the bomber and attacker trees, or should I stop bothering with them altogether?

I have a similar question about the Russian bombers, I've loved the IL-2 line but the IL-4 and others along the bomber line seem really underwhelming.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007

So I've been getting kinda pissy at missing the rewards for multiple events in a row due to the dumb as gently caress battle trophy system but logging in today to a 500% research bonus that lasts forever was a good way to make up for it.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007

I was told by another goon recently that I should hold off on buying premium time as it's likely to go on sale soon, how soon exactly is soon? I bought twenty days worth in a pack a couple weeks back and it's about to expire

Also how do I become not terrible with rockets? Been playing a lot of arcade tanks lately, and now that I'm in late tier-3/early tier-4, it's been forever since I've managed a kill with one, whereas I can pretty consistently get a couple kills each time I go in a proper bomber.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007

Tier-3/4 Soviet ammo. Is there any real difference between the BR-365A and the BR-365K? It seems odd that they'd want me to go out of my way to research ammo that has only a couple more milimeters of penetration with a larger chance to ricochet.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007

The German P-47D, I just got a coupon on it for 30% off, no idea if it's worth it though. I've yet to take German or American air beyond tier one since I've been focusing on Russian and British stuff. Worth it or should I give it a go?

Edit: Oh I also have a coupon on a Russian T-III but I'm just assuming that'd be a waste of money, since I'm asking anyway though.

ArchRanger fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Oct 8, 2015

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007

Sard posted:

Yes but it's only really reliable with Russian 122 mm and 152 mm and German 128 mm HE shells. 105 mm might work against lower rated tanks.

I've done it in test drive with a few of the Russian 85mm but even at point blank against an unmoving target I couldn't do it consistently. Way better off just shooting the tank itself.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007

Do the Panzer IIIs and Panzer 38s have incredibly low bodies or something? They don't look like it but going from Russian and American tanks where this never happened to German it feels like I'm running into invisible walls or something as almost every time I go into even a mild slope the tank will be brought to a dead halt. I hit ~something~ on White Rock Fortress in one of the open areas outside the outer walls so hard it took out my driver and commander and it's been an issue pretty consistently. It's happened a few times in the Panzer IVs as well but I have issues in the others nearly every match.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007

I feel like the first KV-1 really shines on a map like Mozdok when everyone else also has lovely guns and your armor actually has a chance to shine. Last time I was on Mozdok with the first KV-1 I fought from the South up along the Eastern flank without any enemy getting a penetrating shot on me, and managed to setup overlooking their spawn to go something like 16-0. It feels like it's in the rare range where heavy tanks' armor actually matters.

With that said is there any trick to engaging Tigers? I've gotten up to 5.7 AB Russia and since I'm normally YOLOing along the flanks it's not usually a big deal, but occasionally I don't have a choice but to attempt to fight a Tiger head on and it has been a pain and a half trying to fight one when I'm in a situation where they're either facing me or all that's visible is the turret. If I can get around them I don't have any special difficulty murdering them, but god drat are they rough head to head. I had a match a couple nights ago where one bounced multiple shells from the SU-152. Might've been unlucky shots but it felt mind-boggling after all of my previous experience spading that thing.

ArchRanger fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Oct 29, 2015

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007

Are there any particularly good tanks to buy while they're on sale? I bought the T-34-85E just because I love the normal T-34-85 and want more of it, but most premium tanks don't seem to offer anything over their normal counterparts. I wish I had a 7.7 unlocked so I could Talisman something, because I'm only halfway through Tier 4 and the grind is already awful.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007

So the Halloween event, are the decals obtainable through the achievements and buying packs only? I'm going to be really annoyed if this is another event I've completed every challenge in and not gotten the thing I actually wanted.

Also holy poo poo the Po-2 is the only aircraft I've ever seen with a negative rate of climb stat.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007

The heck is so different about Realistic Air that so many people go bomber? In Arcade few people pull them unless they have nothing left.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007

Asehujiko posted:

Where can I see what I need to do for the po2 ingame?

Click on your profile name and go to Achievements. It'll be listed under Halloween. It's actually a pretty fun set of challenges if you equip a bunch of the Soviet Tier-1 Light Bombers and just go wild. First challenges I've ever done while staying below BR 2.

I wouldn't bother though because jesus the PO-2 gives the OS2U-1 a run for it's money as the most useless plane in the game.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007

PenguinScotty posted:

Like Mazz said, it's great Value. Also, if you have some money left on your Steam account you can use that towards it.

Have yet to lose a game in two days of playing the T-34E.

I bought the T-34E and have taken it out in three matches. The only damage I took apart from dying to an unlucky arty strike was when a panzer IV rammed me hard enough to kinda hurt my radio operator. I have yet to be penned by another tank.

It's my new favorite tank and I can't believe it's only 3.7.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007

So I was in second place for more than half of one of the Po-2 races, I passed the guy who'd been in first all that time on a turn, and then shot him down within 20 checkpoints of the end of the race, out of 132. He was a little irritated.

Seriously though what language is that, I don't recognize it. I thought Russian maybe but google gives me nothing.

It's been twenty minutes and he's still sending me messages. It's wonderful.

ArchRanger fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Nov 1, 2015

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

I 1 hit 2 panzers with 1 round each, fired the second as soon as I reloaded, at point blank. What do you have to do to get it to count as a multistrike for the challenge?

E: Oh multistrike is kill 2 or more vehicles without someone else getting a kill in between?

I straight up got a multistrike award but the game hasn't tracked it for the challenge. 1 shot a Sherman and a Panzer IV within about 9 seconds from each other, but no battle trophy for me evidently.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007

jaffyjaffy posted:

It didn't count for me in game but I saw it on the results screen. Not sure if it actually counted for the reward though so I'm going to do it again.

Just saw a post on Reddit that it's counting for air battles instead of ground battles, not sure if that means you need ground kills or air kills for it though.

Just tested it out and yeah I got the trophy after bombing some Armored Cars.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Why are queues for 1.0 british planes 5x as long as 2.3 russian planes, even in arcade?

I would assume because if you're in 1.0 planes then you can only get matched against other people in 1.0 to 2.0, and if you're in 2.3 you can get matched against anything from 1.3 to 3.3.

Speaking of British planes, are their 7.7mgs just ridiculously terrible? Going from Russia to the US to British to Japan, the UK aircraft have the only guns that feel like I'm needing to physically saw off my opponents' wings. Also the Japanese 7.7mgs feel ridiculously punchy compared to the others I've used.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007

With all the bad in this patch on the upside there no longer seems to be a general chat you get connected to automatically. No more hearing bullshit about how the Nazis weren't really all that bad.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007

I've been having the same experience, been playing GF off and on the last couple days with zero visibility issues.

I do think the two new maps kinda suck though? Berlin is little more than a bunch of really boring rubble for people to fight around.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007

I really hate the IS-2, it's awful for my playstyle of rushing the flanks and no matter how you point it your opponents have really obvious flat armor to shoot at. Would I be better off just skipping it now that I've got the T-44 and the T-34-100 unlocked? Leary about having to fight post-war tanks.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Well with the T44 being at the same BR as the best IS2 you're fighting post-war tanks no matter what so you don't really have anything to lose slotting it in. If you ever play AB it's decent since you can easily get a first shot hit and not worry as much about a miss leaving you open for 25 seconds of pain. Also usually one-shotting anything you penetrate has it's advantages.

It was starting to grow on me last patch once I figured out the tricks for frontally loving Tiger 2 Hs. Of course then they compressed the BRs and now dealing with T-10Ms and Mauses brought it all back to crap town :saddowns:

Yeah I've been trying it out for a few matches in a row and I'm either fighting 5.7s and doing as well as I did with the T-34s well or fighting 7.7s and getting reamed. I also only have the first IS-2, so so far I've been taking the T-44, the T-34-100, and then the ZSU-37 as a throwaway to get some research done in it. I just get to dread the matches where I have to fight higher-end stuff.

Mazz posted:

T-44 and T-34-100 are 6.3, not 6.7 (I have no idea about AB). The T-34-100 has comparable gun performance with 10 seconds less on the reload.

I've been playing Arcade where the T-44 is 6.7 and the T-34-100 is 6.3. I've done a few matches of Realistic before and it's a nice change of pace but so much slower that I don't find it quite as fun. With the lower BR I might switch over for a while though, fighting T10Ms and the Maus is friggin' rough.

ArchRanger fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Nov 10, 2015

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007

I still find Realistic kinda boring but this *is* infinitely better than facing post-war stuff.

Also Jesus I know they wanna show off their new maps but is it really necessary to have Advance To The Rhine and Stalingrad be four out of every five matches? I've not seen Kuban or Berlin since the patch dropped.

ArchRanger fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Nov 10, 2015

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007

I have really gotten sick of the T-44! The extra armor is nice but it's no wonder everyone takes the T-34-100 instead. Any map where I can flank it's okay, but there's just so much poo poo I can't frontally penetrate with stock ammo.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007

I've been flying the A-20 a bit in Arcade lately and that twin 50 turret is hilarious. Since it's arcade, and a fairly low-BR aircraft, a lot of enemies will lock themselves to your rear and just keep shooting, remaining perfectly still to let you snipe pilot after pilot.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007

Is there any way to change what you're practicing against in Test Drive? I play mostly Soviets and do well enough against Germans at this point, but I need to practice where to shoot on post-war American and Soviet stuff.

Also holy poo poo the entirety of 7.7 looks like every single tank is miserable until they research better ammo.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007

What's the macro, don't play ground forces above 5.7? It is completely true. The more time I spend in the T-44 the more I hate the game.

ArchRanger fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Nov 30, 2015

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007

Shanakin posted:

Up to 6.3 is generally fine, the T-44 is just kind of awkward, especially with standard ammo.

6.7 is fine, good even, half the time, in my experience. The other half the time you'll be facing Korean tanks and cry.

The T-44 is 6.7 in Arcade, which is why I've switched to realistic. I don't find realistic anywhere near as fun but it beats the hell out of fighting post-war tanks that you're literally incapable of hurting. This is a little better now that I've got the BR-367 and the BR-367P unlocked but Jesus what a frustrating tank.

One more match and I'll have my first 7.7 unlocked! :suicide: Honestly I don't expect it to be as bad as the T-44, just venting after a string of terrible matches.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007

Are kills tracked differently in Realistic or something? I've noticed that several times in the last few days that I'll not get credited for the kills I made.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007

None of that explains why it would pop up with a 'Ground Unit Destroyed' award and popup on the killboard without actually giving it to me on the scoreboard. Or evidently the points for purposes of respawning as I had to jump in my AA afterwards. After I died that time it gave me the credit for my previous kills (though they still weren't on the scoreboard) and let me respawn in my other slotted vehicles.

From reading that I might actually be experiencing a bug?

Edit: Just to be sure I just rewatched the replay and yeah, I definitely got the kills without being credited on the scoreboard.

ArchRanger fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Dec 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007

The higher in tier I go the more I dislike the game. Late Tier-4 was awful, and Tier-5 looks like it's going to be more of the same and I'm being made increasingly irate by aircraft in ground matches. I mean, I've always been able to get at least a couple kills each bombing run I make but it's nothing compared to the first German player to get into a Ho 229 murdering entire teams from the air with no ability to defend themselves.

I guess I really need to stick to early Tier-4 and lower. :sigh:

• Locked thread