Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«33 »
QuarkMartial
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Enjoy your Cholula, those are quality.

I like them. The chili garlic reminds me of PeriPeri, and the Chipotle is awesome in the chili I just made. The Marie Sharp's I like better than the comatose level version of their sauce. Same heat level but the extract flavor (at least, that's what I think I taste in the back of my throat) is less.

At least, those are my impressions based on tasting off a spoon. I also mainlined some Da Bomb to see if that throat feeling/taste was the extract. It was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

QuarkMartial posted:

We are iced in, but in desperate need of necessities, so I went to the Hispanic grocery store right by my house. Surprisingly (not) they had a large variety of hot sauce, so I snagged a few I'd not had before:

The El Yucateco and Valentina are ones I've had before, just took the opportunity to restock. The others are new. Really looking forward to the No Wimps Allowed.

I can't get Marie Sharps around here and I really miss the Belizian Heat one.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

QuarkMartial posted:

I like them. The chili garlic reminds me of PeriPeri, and the Chipotle is awesome in the chili I just made. The Marie Sharp's I like better than the comatose level version of their sauce. Same heat level but the extract flavor (at least, that's what I think I taste in the back of my throat) is less.

At least, those are my impressions based on tasting off a spoon. I also mainlined some Da Bomb to see if that throat feeling/taste was the extract. It was.

I wish they sold chipotle by the gallon. I use it so much.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

panties

Is there a popular manufactured habanero salsa that's used in taqueria restaurants? I've been to two places that serve an identical tasting salsa and it's delicious and hot but they refuse to tell me if they are made at the restaurant or if they buy it. I think it has to be purchased since these were two different restaurants. The thing is that it doesn't taste like it's jarred, it tastes like fresh mix of tomatoes and peppers plus misc stuff. It's sort of a dullish red color and it's not chunky.

e: It looks very similar to this

http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/05/...nts-salsas.html

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at Jan 13, 2018 around 11:59

Human Tornada
Mar 3, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Mu Zeta posted:

Is there a popular manufactured habanero salsa that's used in taqueria restaurants? I've been to two places that serve an identical tasting salsa and it's delicious and hot but they refuse to tell me if they are made at the restaurant or if they buy it. I think it has to be purchased since these were two different restaurants. The thing is that it doesn't taste like it's jarred, it tastes like fresh mix of tomatoes and peppers plus misc stuff. It's sort of a dullish red color and it's not chunky.

e: It looks very similar to this

http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/05/...nts-salsas.html

Are you positive that it's habanero salsa? Salsa de chile de arbol is the "hot" salsa around here and most versions I've tasted are all remarkably similar, whether it comes from a taqueria or is made by Mexican American home cooks.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

panties

Yeah it's habanero and its really hot. When i see white people try it they are in real pain. When i search images for arbol salsa it doesnt look like it. It looks like my picture.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

The only pacakaged sauce I can think of that looks like that is El Yucateco Kutbil-Ik. It is pretty drat hot and also delicious. Could that be right?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

panties

It looks tasty. That one looks a little more runny but I'm going to buy some regardless. Thanks

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I was going to suggest the same thing. The flavor is also pretty similar to what you described, but they might add some tomato puree to it for thickening and flavor. I can't taste any tomato at all in kutbil-ik.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Whatís a good, relatively cheap ghost pepper sauce that has a flavor besides heat? I have a bottle of the Island Pepper Company stuff that I got for 3 bucks. Itís not bad but it just tastes like hot. I want something that I can put on some pretzels or something. I have ghost pepper mustard, which is tasty but not really ghost pepper hot.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Whatís a good, relatively cheap ghost pepper sauce that has a flavor besides heat? I have a bottle of the Island Pepper Company stuff that I got for 3 bucks. Itís not bad but it just tastes like hot. I want something that I can put on some pretzels or something. I have ghost pepper mustard, which is tasty but not really ghost pepper hot.

this is a bit more expensive than the average, but it is quite good.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

uber_stoat posted:

this is a bit more expensive than the average, but it is quite good.

12.59 for a 20 ounce bottles not bad at all. Thanks for the recommendation

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

it's like $6 here in Texas (for obvious reasons I guess)

But I'll second that it's pretty good.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

yeah, I can get it at whole foods for around $6 so it might be worth checking there if one is near you as an alternative to online.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

If you're okay with more of a salsa, Mrs. Renfro's Ghost Pepper Salsa is pretty good, although frankly I think it seems a little unspicy compared to the other ghost pepper products I've tried (it's still extremely spicy, just not as hot as other things I've had). It has a lovely slightly smoky, slightly fruity flavour.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

PT6A posted:

If you're okay with more of a salsa, Mrs. Renfro's Ghost Pepper Salsa is pretty good, although frankly I think it seems a little unspicy compared to the other ghost pepper products I've tried (it's still extremely spicy, just not as hot as other things I've had). It has a lovely slightly smoky, slightly fruity flavour.

I tried their ghost pepper salsa con queso and it basically just tasted like hot onions. I guess that could be somebody's thing but as someone who hates onion.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

I guess today's National Hot Sauce Day, as I got an email from iBurn.com stating that they are having a 10% off sale for all hot sauces. No coupon codes necessary, valid until 1/23/18, 11:59 CST.

http://www.iburn.com/Hot-Sauce-s/1814.htm

Anyone have recommendations?

ada shatan
Oct 20, 2004

that'll do pig, that'll do

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I guess today's National Hot Sauce Day, as I got an email from iBurn.com stating that they are having a 10% off sale for all hot sauces. No coupon codes necessary, valid until 1/23/18, 11:59 CST.

http://www.iburn.com/Hot-Sauce-s/1814.htm

Anyone have recommendations?

If you are looking for something mild but tasting great, Blair's original is worth trying. I guess knowing what you are looking for would help though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Haha, that's fair enough. I like a vinegary taste and a good deal of spiciness, like ghost pepper level or so.

«33 »