Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Elenkis posted:

Combat feels very twitchy compared to Elite: Dangerous, ships turn on a dime and die quickly.

This was always the case with CRs old space games, almost all of them had ships that moved quite slowly, accelerated and decelerated quickly, and turned around really fast, which all meant that combat felt weirdly herky jerky to me compared to, say, the Xwing/tie games where turning was a little slower and ships were quite fast, so you had big swooping dogfights instead of people just spinning to point at each other.

I was hoping it wasn't really the case with this game but I always thought it looked like it was going that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I've got the lowest kickstarter tier that gets me the actual game - does that apply to this? (At work)

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

macnbc posted:

That depends on when you backed. If you look up your game package here and it says "Alpha access" on the list of things it includes, then yes.

(Everybody who pledged up until about 2 months ago has alpha access automatically. If you backed more recently than that you might need to buy a pass that gives you access to this module.)

E:f,b

Oh cool. I can't actually access the site at work (it's games) but I was in on the original kickstarter, so I should be fine.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
There is nothing on this earth dumber than the lock animation.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I spent all yest downloading this and havent played yet. A question.

How do the gimballed weapons work if I use a stick/controller?

lovely auto targetting? no gimballing at all?

Can I map the gimbal targetter to my right stick? Can I have a copilot aim the guns with the mouse while I fly?

ShineDog fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jun 5, 2014

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I have no idea what the gently caress is happening when I try and yaw and pitch together while moving on my 360 controller, it either seizes up and barely turns or makes little stair step movements unless I turn on decoupled?

So far flight feels pretty fuckin awful frankly.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Claes Oldenburger posted:

There is nothing better than exploding a scythe and rolling to slide in between the wreckage of its wing and body. Well maybe a lot could be better, but it still feels pretty drat cool.

Really not seeing it. Maybe it's the ship I'm in, but I can't find a control combination that doesn't cause the ship to spaz around after a hard turn. Really thinking that the individual thruster simulation is a bad idea if I'm going to be fighting them the whole time.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Harabeck posted:

Have you tried turning off G limit and comstab? Maybe the 300i just flies better, but the controls don't seem bad enough to me to warrant the complaints I've seen.

Yep. pitching up and down Is ok, left and right is usually ok. Jumping from one to the other can lead to the ship bucking around. hard diagonals vary between; A very slow stairstep between pitching and yawing, A pitch or a Yaw with a tiny bit of the other, or a normal diagonal turn only very slow.

I'm going to hook my joystick in and see if it's any better, I note that the stick defaults to Pitch/roll as opposed to the Pitch/Yaw of the controller, but it's really, really loving awful as it stands.

Also - relative mode doesn't seem to do anything unless I'm missing something obvious? that should give me full engine control in decoupled, yes? But nothing seems to happen.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

rage-saq posted:

I saw this too. The extreme corners of the pitch/yaw stick have dead zones, its kind of weird. Once I compensated for that I started doing pretty good.
Also, their whole FCS thing needs a big revamp. You should be able to fire strafing thrusters at any time, not by toggling the entire flight mode that seems to kill the primary engines.
I don't have a problem with a toggle to kill the main engines so you can do super fast turning changes without altering your primary velocity, but Allegiance (an awesome space pvp game from 2000 had up/down/left/right/backwards strafing on like day 1 of the beta. Your strafing just altered your trajectory to also include a slight pitch left/up/etc and it worked out pretty well.
Also, that UI, oh god.

I think it's a symptom of the thruster system rather than a deadzone thing, because it's really inconsistent about it and completely absent in decoupled. The thrusters also piss me off when I wheel the ship around hard, because theres usually second where the nose of the ship kicks around as the thrusters fight to re-orient the ship with it's facing. That might be right according to whatever version of "realistic" they are going for here, but it feels terrible to actually fly.

If it was predictable it would be fun to fight against it, but fighting against it just causes the thrusters to fart about more. It is butt.

I know I'm in the aurora, and it's the worst handling ship, but I expected sluggish, not a loving chore.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Reichsstand posted:

I'm extremely worried about this early dependency on gimbaled guns being rolled out to the community en masse. It's already teaching bad habits and a dependency on a targeting computer, things that will be very difficult to "unlearn" when PU drives home.

They were better off removing all gimbaled guns from the class 1 hardpoints to give us a better idea of how the "real" aurora would handle, not this handholding for the lowest common denominator.

It flies like it has parkinsons, I don't know how I would kill anything without the gimbals.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
How do you get full thrust control in decoupled mode? Someone said hit Ctrl Tab but looking in the control maps thats something about head look?

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Octopode posted:

G-Safe and COMSTAB should probably be disabled by default, instead of the other way around. Or at least have their influence tuned down, some. The difference in flying with them on and off is night and day, and they change the flight model from meh to pretty good, which for first impressions in the game seems like a big deal.

I think theres something pretty fundamentally wrong with the IFCS in coupled mode though. The way it's so stop start jerky when decoupled is so smooth. As it stands coupled mode is a really unrealistic way to fly. IFCS tries to find a realistic solution to an unrealistic problem, and it leads to the kind of herky jerky nonsense handling you see which has no reason to exist.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Octopode posted:

Speaking personally, I haven't experienced the jerkiness I've seen other people reporting, which almost makes me want to say it's a bug--but it may also just be people being more sensitive to the flight model than I am.

Nevertheless, dev posts over the last few days have intimated they're still tweaking and changing some of the IFCS behavior to make things like strafing in coupled mode possible, which means discussions at this point could be a moot point.

Get in the Aurora, it seems to get it the worst.

get up to speed, haul up and yaw right as far as you can. Do this a few times.

Similarly, do a big, hard, rolling turn. Stop the turn. Watch as the ship bounces around as IFCS tries horribly to sort your heading out.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

DatonKallandor posted:

Having tried all 3 controls methods now, when it comes to actually flying the ship - they're not terrible at all (Mouse is worst). Especially the 360 Gamepad controls (which are clearly what they made the game for, since that's what they did their internal testing on - you can see that on all the videos and even at the PAX presentation) are incredibly good as far as default controls go. The amount of stuff they managed to pack into the Pad is fantastic, and it's still logcially grouped, which is no small feat. Now the UI controls are insanely bad but so's the rest of their UI.

What is absolutely terrible, and what makes the controls seem worse, is that their thruster behavior is plain hosed when not in decoupled mode. They fire unevenly trying to get the ships vector to align with your center of aim and the result is a wobbling bathtub feeling. If you decouple and rotate the center of the ship around there's no wobbling at all - which is how it should behave in all modes.

That right there shows where the problem lies (intentional or not) - thruster behavior when coupled is hosed. Question is are they going to fix it or claim it's intentional.

Does anyone have all 3 ships? Do they only wobble in the Aurora? Because decoupling, turning, then recoupling is loving stupid. I need to be able to actually burn the loving main engines in decoupled.

Courthouse posted:

Also, I kinda like the idea of some ships being unresponsive clunkers. And then you can upgrade to better, more precise components that make your ship not steer like a bathtub (but cost more/break easier, etc). I also really like that the ships feel a lot different to fly thanks to thruster placement, and how damaging a thruster can gently caress up your controls.

I'll take unresponsive. I won't take drunk.

ShineDog fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jun 6, 2014

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Octopode posted:

I cannot recreate this wobble which seems to be your chief complaint, no matter what I try.

As someone pointed out earlier, the physics simulation is largely handled by your client--it is entirely possible the behavior you're complaining of is a result of a bug in the physics rendering on your client. If I recall correctly, they are relying on PhysX to handle the physics processing.

Out of curiosity, for those of you that ARE experiencing the wobble problems, what graphics card are you using for the game? It may be something as simple as difference between the hardware implementations of the PhysX engine computatons on nVidia cards vs how the AMD cards handle it.

What ship? Seriously, the Aurora cannot make a diagonal turn without a big old weird manouver..

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I've just captured a video of the Auroras wobble. It's quite severe, but I'm not seeing it in other ship videos.

Basically, just yawing moderately to the right shows the ship bouncing between almost maxed turn and almost no turn with no pressure varience on the stick from me.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Here we go. WOBBLE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lxfy7Lq7LDc

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
It's such a big, BIG sign that makes me worried about the game. They are more concerned about your verisimilitude than they are about letting you play the god drat game. Yeah, I am totally cool with spending a full minute watching myself climb into my starship, check my balls are properly seated in my pants before putting on my seatbelt, power up the ship, make a pot of coffee, then PICK MY loving GAMETYPE FROM A MENU.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Courthouse posted:

Not seeing this at all, although I only have 300i and Hornet. I also have a fancy overclocked rig. So either it's just the starter ship being poo poo, or something to do with your hardware not coping with the physics model.

So either way, croberts is telling the spoors to go gently caress themselves. :wotwot:

I'm sitting with an I7 with a GTX770. It's not that I can't cope.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I wasn't doing a hard turn in any of those. about 50% turn on the XB pad.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

BitBasher posted:

Since the thrusters actually generate force I wonder of it's the off center primary thruster causing the ship to pitch slightly down and the maneuvering thrusters having to fire counteracting it on behalf of the flight computer. They could be alternating between turning the ship and countering the off center primary, which would definitely cause wobble. Without cheating physics wise something has to counter the main thruster being mounted somewhat off COM.

At this point the realistic thruster system seems far more trouble than it's worth.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Av027 posted:

^^^ It might actually be really awesome for dealing with larger ships. You can lose individual thrusters, resulting in mobility loss. Admittedly that's only if they can get it right. ^^^

Sounds plausible. First thing I wondered was whether 6 maneuvering thrusters was enough to properly control the ship, and I think it may be an issue, though maybe not part of this.

Hm... patching a little over 2GB now.

Yeah but you could happily simulate the damage thrusters by killing the rotation maximum on an axis, maybe add a little roll when you pitch the nose, something like that.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

tehsid posted:

Got to try this Arena Commander part out before, with the X52.

This feels like poo poo, so much so that I don't want to try again until they've mended it. Its inconstant as gently caress and just outright not fun.
I know, pre-alpha and all that, so I'll come back when they've retooled the movement because as it stands, I'm not interested.

Were you in an Aurora? It's fuuuuucked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lxfy7Lq7LDc

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
It IS just the Aurora thats a horrible swinging bus, right? The other ships look quite fun.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Crust First posted:

It could mean that an AI tries to pilot your ship back to a nearby safespot, and if you get blown up on the way home, well, maybe you should have a better ISP! Alternatively your ship floats in space until someone comes along to rescue it. It's cold and lonely!

It's like an MMO I think. Sleeping in a bed makes you vanish. Logging off leaves you vulnerable.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

epmode posted:

I don't recall the X-Wing convergence bit but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

You can't deny that aiming in Star Citizen is very different than X-Wing/TIE Fighter and Freespace which are easily my favorite space sims to date. It's not even like the Chris Roberts games I've played (Wing Commander/Privateer). And at the moment, I much prefer the basic targeting in those games to Star Citizen's craaazy gimbals.

I have no allegiance to Star Wars books, by the way. Or even the films. If I did, I doubt I would have gotten over the much slower laser fire.

Only XWA had convergance. The only gimballing the weapons did was to converge on your target.

(Also the games do not have a target enemy directly behind button, whoever said that is wrong. You had target in sights, target nearest enemy, target enemy targeting you, stuff like that.)

In the films they don't visually gimbal in their mounts (other than actual turrets), but you can see clearly in the first person shots from fighters that the weapons do track.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Justin Tyme posted:

i demand this game be like the sims where you have a toilet meter, with periodic warnings like "warning: intestine contents exceeding maximum capacity" "warning: intestine levels critical" "alert: you have poo poo your pants" and it makes you control slightly worse until you are able to take a shower

Have the windows fog up.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Raskolnikov posted:

46.5 million. A space truck with a missile launcher raised another 2.5 million. Maybe it was E3 too?

Whenever I see these numbers, I just think of starving children or at least all the other thousands of indie games out there that could have been funded instead and I become a little melancholy about it.

I like that Elite has done far more with a fraction of the money, and I actually believe that the things Elite is due to add will happen any time soon, unlike SC.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

froody guy posted:

What did I say that looks so much like trolling? :shrug:

Anyway with all due respect I disagree with your point and I'll answer to both very quickly. It's exactly because in THIS game we are talking about unrealistic dogfighting that I don't get how making ranges way shorter than WW2 or any other atmospheric flight sim is the way to go. As long as we can decouple there is not even the problem of the "turn vs spin vs speed" argument because basically there is no way to define a clear "position of advantage" in a 1 vs 1 engagment so increasing the range of effectivness of the close range weapons is just a way not to reduce everything to "the first that pins you under his mouse has your skull" which answer the 2nd point of yours too. As for how faster/easier is to use a M/K vs Hotas setup, there is the internet full of stuff on the subject but lemme quote this which nails down the point in one line

I'd only add "in a fraction of a second" at the end of it

k going to watch the vid and read the wall of text by Chris, drat busy day for a vaporware game addict :dance:

You specifically asked for 5k+ ranges for dogfighting. 5k is massively longer than WW2 firing ranges - weapons convergence in WW2 was in the ballpark of 200-400 meters. very short. 5km makes enemies a couple of pixels.

If you make ranges massively longer, you need to also make ships massively faster, otherwise "ships sit at standoff range and snipe" becomes a core factor and you have no movement, but then you're getting into the territory of ships zipping around at a rate that no one can track. WW2 fighters made big, slow, lazy turns compared to starships that can turn without changing heading and then boost out.

I'm in favour of upping ship speeds a good chunk, but realistic ranges just cannot work in this game.

Actually, yeah, I'm thinking of lovely galactic starfighter here. That's a (terrible) game with a sniper class of spaceship (the gunship).

It's got a range of 4km. The ships move much faster than in AC, and it's still an absolute pain in the balls because it's going to park somewhere that theres no cover and slap you until you die before you can get within your own weapon range. Fights between two gunships are just the worst thing imaginable and don't fit the starship fantasy at all. (Also if you want to fight them you've got to break past the skirmish screen, so they end up sniping with impunity in a lot of games, but thats a specific GS problem, since this guy wants to make everything gunships)

ShineDog fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jun 17, 2014

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

CLAM DOWN posted:

That's the only good mission in all of Starlancer, and it was so good compared to the rest of the game it's like it was outsourced or something.

The actual core dogfighting in Starlancer is pretty great. God drat, the way those guns sounded, looked and felt, compared to the gutless farts the guns in SC make. (I think projectile speed in SC needs upped partly for this reason - it doesn't look exciting.)

The disastrous loving mission design ruins it, but it had some fun ideas. Did you know that in co-op, during the missions where the squad got split between objectives, the players could end up split between groups doing entirely different poo poo you never saw in singleplayer?

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Goredema posted:

I'm trying to respect our visitors from other thread and their legitimate, helpful, non-sarcastic concern for our emotional well-being. By their definition, every video game is an overly ambitious, pay-2-win debacle that will never ever ever see the light of day, and everyone looking forward to it is an idiot.

The worrying thing is that sometimes, they're right. :ohdear:

EDIT: All kidding aside, both The Mandate and Enemy Starfighter look pretty cool, and although I can't get over the boring ship designs in Elite: Dangerous, it also looks pretty neat.

ANOTHER EDIT: My partner heard "The Mandate" as "The Man Date", and now won't stop snickering when I talk about "boarding actions" and "fleet maneuvers" in what is apparently a Russian space-gay dating sim.

Oh man, I really love the simple, clean, 70s scifi lines of the Elite ships. I love the aesthetic and the colour scheme overall, I love how you can see the cooling systems start to glow as the ships overheat, I love how the windows frost up when you shut the ship down and run cold, how enormous the planetary rings seem. I love the electronic warbling of the engines and the thrump when you drop out of hyperspace. (And holy poo poo, the hyperspace effect is astounding)

Just everything about it sells the space fantasy in a way that SC as yet doesn't, and thats including the ship design. It's coherent where SC is a kitchen sink, and doesn't drown itself in pointless detai you'll see once. (The ship has individually spinning jet intake blades (!!?) - Well thats nice, but it's something I'm not going to look at ever again. That goes double for individually animated starship ladders.

Which, for the love of god, needs to have an option to skip. good grief.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
The weapons could do with being a little faster just to make them satisfying, and tbh that goes for the older WC games as well. This isn't quite the "throwing bowling balls" of the old games mass drivers, but it's hardly the walls of fury the Starlancer ships farted out either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Courthouse posted:

But stable netcode just doesn't get my imagination going the way a game with integrated and fully modeled player capital/fighter/fps gameplay does.

Hang on, ED ships appear to be going to go to the same sort of upper limit as SC, and foot combat is on the cards. Unlike SC, ED might actually get some of these things made, because SC is apparently built on endless overreach.

• Locked thread