Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Gonz posted:

Drunk History is tremendous. My favorite one from the last season was Al Capone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzzYJ1aDjhM

I basically just laugh through that entire segment every time I watch it. Will Sasso is perfect in that part, just laughing at all of Capone's poor decisions. Also,

Capone: "I wanna be called Snorky!"

Nurse: "We're gonna call you Scarface."

Capone: "...I wanna be called Snorky."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Workaholics had one near-perfect season, then a not so great one with a couple of episodes that were way better than the rest, then a mostly great one, then a pretty bad one.

A Deft Assessment.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Ravane posted:

Tim Allen.

Where is Tim Allen? Is he doing anything? I feel like he could still be viable in hollywood, in TV at the very least, yet he's nowhere to be found. He was doing a lot of voiceover work for a while and I was like, good for you, that's cool, but he should be in front of the camera more often I say

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Hey guys, just wanted to let you know I changed my mind about Tim Allen. I don't want to see him in front of cameras anymore. I'd rather see him die, tbh

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Eezee posted:

How can Big Bang theory and Modern Family be nominated together with Silicon Valley, Veep, 'Louis' and OitnB?

The latter of those shows are so vastly superior to the first two, it's not even funny. If Modern Family wins again that's just more proof that those award shows are bullshit.

Mu Zeta posted:

Well Modern Family actually has jokes unlike Louie. I consider Orange a drama as well.

Yeah, Modern Family is usually pretty funny so I don't know what you're talking about. I like Modern Family more than Silicon Valley and Veep, never seen OitnB all the way through. And Louie has been getting less and less funny...not less good, mind you, just less funny

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

Iirc they never even completed the second stage (in sasuke there's four stages, the first two are timed, the third is untimed, and the final stage is a rope climb up to "mt midoriyama" within a ludicrously short time window

Also it's not that Americans are bad at sasuke, I think, or well it is but not for the reasons you'd think; sasuke has been running for a long, long LONG time and people basically make careers out of competing on sasuke year in and out, in comparison anw is relatively newer

Plus I think well be seeing anw adapt to the skills of Americans nationally speaking; most to all sasuke stages are based around grip strength and flexibility/balance, skills Japanese people are very good at, whilst I bet in anw well see more upper-body strength related challenges

Ummmmm pretty much every single Sasuke obstacle past the first stage since the very beginning has been extremely upper body intensive. If anything anw should focus more on jumping and reach since Americans are taller.

And I think the reason America had to build their own Mt. Midoriyama is because they only do Sasuke in Japan twice a year, and they only let 100 people do it. For a while they were reserving slots for Americans, and reserving more and more each year. I suspect they were getting tired of our best people coming over and doing really well, taking the spotlight away from the Japanese.

I used to watch a poo poo-ton of Ninja Warrior on G4

EDIT: Also...in the Japanese version there's a pretty good mix of silliness and athleticism among the 100 participants. A lot of comedians and crazy people run the course and get their 5 minutes of fame when they fail spectacularly. Meanwhile, we sent our hardest, most chiseled and dedicated people over. Of course the Americans are going to look better in comparison, and I think Japanese being the best at an obstacle they created was important to them.

timp fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jul 15, 2014

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Today I learned that the Mad Men that's broadcast to my television is a completely different one than the version being sent to Yaoi Mandel's TV. It's the only explanation.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

There's no Drunk History thread, is there? Johnny Knoxville is playing Johnny Cash on tonight's episode hahaha

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3647223

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Nathan For You is like the perfect embodiment of the goon spirit. loving with unwilling people in a way that is 85% sarcastic, but still 15% percent sincere.

EDIT: double post

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

zoux posted:

Spider Week :unsmigghh:

ftfy

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
and SLASH

as Himself

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
The new season of Boardwalk Empire will take place in 1931

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8C8kBuOUsqU

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Judge Clayjar posted:

Idk what the first bad episode was but ep 300 was the last one I saw(tony hawk)

"You're going down! Then up, then down, then back up again. That's how half-pipe works"

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

muscles like this? posted:

The worst drama of the past 5 years is some no name show that never really went anywhere, like Persons Unknown.

That's like saying the worst art ever created was made by Timothy Johnson, age 6, of Minnetonka, MN in 1983.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

zoux posted:

The Event. Or Heroes post s1. The Cape. Help I thought about NBC and now I can't stop listing terrible dramas. My Own Worst Enemy!

I legitimately enjoyed The Event and was bummed when it was cancelled. There was some pretty decent acting, but every plot device was "I'm sorry, I have to! He threatened my family!"

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

CPFortest posted:

I'll raise you the last three years of Weeds and Entourage after Season 2.

I keep telling people Dexter's last season was the first time I ever quit watching a show mid-season, but that's because I always forget about Entourage's last season

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Garfunkel & Oates premiered last night on IFC. I'd already watched the first episode on YouTube earlier this week (looks like they've taken it down now) and I really enjoyed it! It's basically Flight of the Conchords, except with American girls living in LA. There were a few small issues (the sound mixing and balance of some of the music sounds a little off sometimes) but it definitely got a lot of laughs out of me. The Sports Go Sports music video was definitely a highlight.

If you like Flight of the Conchords, Portlandia, or Broad City, give it a shot! I think the second episode is up already on IFC's website but I haven't seen it yet.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

ShakeZula posted:

Can a show as raunchy as Garfunkel & Oates really be considered twee? Micucci could certainly qualify on her own, but the show itself doesn't really fit the description to me.

foux-twee, imo

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Seams posted:

Everybody knows that 'Ray Donovan' is the best example of lovely fill-in-the-blanks prestige drama.

Low Winter Sun.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Rarity posted:

Ok so imagine you're allowed to choose X slices of a delicious deep pan pepperoni pizza. But other people want that pizza too and they're going to be choosing slices as well. Now the pizzeria is poor and can't afford to give you a whole pizza. They only have Y slices to give. Now in order to maximise efficiency they're going to give those Y slices to the person who's X is closest to Y. But! If they're X is above Y then they're going to be disappointed and the pizzeria can't have that so they get no pizza. In the end if someone else chooses X slices and you choose X-1 slices you only get pizza if the pizzeria's Y slices is the same as your X-1 slices.

Simple, really.

I didnt get it until this one

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

lelandjs posted:

My TiVo is ready for tomorrow! Though I guess there's a hard limit on how many episodes of a TV show it can see at a time...

(Guess there's a few things I can delete off of the season pass, now that I think about it.)

You know after this marathon is over you can just pull any part of any single episode from Simpsons World online, right?

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

bull3964 posted:

Well, only if your provider has a streaming deal with FXX, not all do.

Ah, good point, forgot about that.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I just heard an interesting story on NPR...can't find a link on their site but this will do: http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-28879629

Basically, there's a really popular soap opera in South Africa called Generations. It focuses on 16 main characters working for an advertising agency. It's extremely popular, with around 7 million viewers each night, and these characters are basically household names.

After almost a year of back-and-forth between the actors and the studio, they've all been fired. All 16 of them. Just like that. Despite how long their talks have been going on, it was apparently a total surprise when announced. The show's not cancelled, mind you, they're going to be hiring new actors to replace the old ones.

Could you imagine something like that happening in America? What if that had happened to the cast of The Big Bang Theory?

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

FactsAreUseless posted:

Thank god, one step closer to an Adult Swim series based on We're Back: A Dinosaur's Story.

So this, basically: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPZJ3Zc01wk

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

You'd think it wouldn't be that hard to go through something to blur out any nudity but I remember years and years ago a commercial for Girls Gone Wild screwed up and missed censoring a boob shot.

And it looks like you've kept that image with you ever since.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
:siren: :siren:Flight of the Conchords is coming back to HBO :siren: :siren:

...for four episodes :smith:

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
god damnit loving son of a bitch poo poo piss

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Lugaloco posted:

Is The League even watchable at this point? I remember really enjoying most of Seasons 1-3 but after that it felt like the show took a nosedive.

I agree, it really went off the rails and got pretty unfunny. I've filed it away as Comedy I Want To Like Because It Used To Be Good, right next to Workaholics and Who's Line Is It Anyway, which means I'll probably still check out the first couple of episodes this season just in case.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Mu Zeta posted:

How many more seasons could there be after Dumb Starbucks? He went on every talk show promoting that.

Yeah but in each of them he was pretty clearly over the top, especially compared to the guy who owned the coffee shop, the DJs were straight up laughing at Nathan being all serious the way the audience would while watching the final product.

The dude's basically on an Andy Kaufman level at this point and I'm pretty confident he'll come up with something ridiculous and cringe-worthy and embarrassing and hilarious that never even occurred to us.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Other TNT news is that the plan to turn perennial cable movie fodder "Shooter" into a TV series. The movie starred Mark Wahlberg as Bob Lee Swagger, a retired Marine sniper who gets framed for an assassination attempt. It was an okay movie that was mostly notable for the epic amount of people Marky Mark kills in it.

I was about to call you out and tell you that you got it wrong, and the lead was actually Clive Owen, not Marky Mark, but then I realized I was thinking of Shoot 'Em Up, not Shooter.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Regy Rusty posted:

The thing about the first two seasons is that it tricks you into thinking it's good with British accents and period costumes. But it's still dumb and only gets more blatant about how bad it is as time goes on.

Yeah, first two seasons are good, don't feel bad about watching them. tbh I was a little blown away by the pilot because I had really low expectations, and the show managed to keep me interested for about 2.5 seasons. But I actually quit the show a few episodes into the 4th season and kind of watched season 3 begrudgingly.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I dunno, I think Rob Dyrdek is pretty charismatic. He's a high energy guy who seems to genuinely enjoy just about everything he does.

But Ridiculousness is unquestionably terrible.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
For anyone who decided not to watch the second episode of Boardwalk Empire after the somewhat disappointing premiere last week, the second episode was a pretty nice return to form with plenty of classic Van Alden/Mueller moments :allears:

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Sober posted:

Haven't caught it yet but people thought it was disappointing? I thought it was just typical setup which was just typical Boardwalk Empire, despite the 8 episode final season.

Eh, the 7 year time skip between last season and this one was a bit jarring for some of the characters. Plus they're doing childhood flashback scenes for Nucky (who is probably the least interesting character on the show despite essentially being the protagonist) and they got off to a pretty slow start. There's more in-depth commentary and views in the thread.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

zoux posted:

Hang on a sec here. Brickleberry still exists?

What? Uh, nope! No siree, it sure doesn't. La la la la I can't hear you and refuse to live in that reality la lala laalal

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Deadpool posted:

DC now has a show on every broadcast network except the one owned by Disney. That's just weird a drat good business strategy.

I'm impressed...

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
The ham-fisted HEY GUYS THIS IS THE BATMAN UNIVERSE!! references were actually the best part of the Gotham premiere, imo. The worst part, and probably the thing that will stop me from watching each week, is everything else. god drat do I not give a gently caress about those two detectives with their stilted delivery.

EDIT: As much as I believe the villains of the Batman universe are the best part, it's weird that there's no Batman. I kept expecting some superhero to swing in and save the day during just about every confrontation.

timp fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Sep 23, 2014

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

zoux posted:

Hmmm it seems the internet hates nerd thing...

What did you think about the premiere of Gotham, zoux?

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

I much prefer the shortened/no intros that CW shows do. No matter how well put together the intro to a show is you're going to be watching it over and over again and it will just get tiresome.

I dunno, man...there are some shows whose opening credits I could watch over and over. Game of Thrones comes to mind. Then again that one is always slightly different every episode by design which helps.

But yeah, usually even good ones like Deadwood or Dexter get old after the 3rd or 4th episode in a row.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

zoux posted:

What's the deal with Gilmore Girls is it funny or what?

They talk really fast

I'd say yeah, it's whiter than Home Improvement

• Locked thread