Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I'm about two and a half seasons into the Sopranos and liking it a lot. It can be a little frustrating how storylines will start and then drop for several episodes and then pick up again but overall it's a really sharp show.

I just finished the episode where Tony almost ends up in prison for life when a witness spots him at a murder scene. I loved it. Really made you question your loyalty to Tony as a protagonist. Is it good that he wins in the end? If he hadn't, if he had gotten put away, a lot of people's lives would be a lot better. I especially liked the scene of him handing Beansie the money, after Beansie insisting he doesn't want it and basically being forced to take it, and Tony is just grinning like mad as he walks away. He's so sure that he's been rewarded, despite the fact that he's done literally nothing worth rewarding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I've been catching up with Workaholics. Just watched the episode where they massacre a bunch of rats. I found it to be in really bad taste and not particularly funny. I know it's all special effects but it's really disappointing that a show I generally find to be pretty clever would dedicate a huge chunk of an episode to smashing animals with bats.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I've tried multiple times to get into Key and Peele but I just do not see what everyone loves about it so much. Their opening dialogue is at best not very funny, at worst, cringe-inducing. The sketches themselves seem to be built around one really dumb joke that goes on way too long. I have seen some funny ones though, most notably the valet sketches and the football ones (basically the only two anyone ever references when talking about how great the show is.)

Maybe I just haven't watched enough episodes, but the obvious comparison to draw is to the Chappelle Show, which was way more consistent in quality.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

ashpanash posted:

While I wouldn't characterize it quite like that, this is the UCB style of comedy, and it works brilliantly. The idea: find the premise, the joke, the part that doesn't fit with normalcy. This is the 'game.' Now ask the question, if this is true, what else is true? And then keep heightening the game.

And example, the Monty Python parrot sketch. The game of the sketch: Person won't acknowledge obvious fact in front of face. Heighten that game.

This is also why any fan of long-form improv hates short-form improv (like Whose Line). I know it can be funny, but it's also cheap - the games are announced BEFORE anything happens, and it just amounts to playing to the audience, instead of making a scene, discovering what the game is, and heightening that off of the tip of your intelligence and using the ideas of other people in the group.

Key and Peele isn't improv though. They have the luxury of being able to spend as much time as they want writing their sketches so there should be more humor to it than just one little thing. When Chappelle did stuff like the black Klan member, there were other jokes and wordplay interlaced throughout. In comparison, Key and Peele do a sketch about how baseball players like to slap each others asses and, like you said, just keep escalating that one concept. There isn't really anything else to it, it's just increasing the absurdity of the one joke.

To continue with the Baseball sketch example: the sketch is probably around 6 minutes long. It starts with the guy wanting to slap someone's rear end, then his teammates get mad at him about it. They continue to get madder until they drag him away. There's nothing really "funny" about it other than the guy being really obsessed with slapping rear end.

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jul 8, 2014

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

IRQ posted:

That's what the full time job part is for. :v:

If my boss knew how much of my workday was spent on the forums I would be out the door in a split second.

Thug life.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

raditts posted:

Who cares if it's not the same style as Chappelle, not every comedy show with black actors has to follow his lead. It's okay to not like the joke, but if you don't think even Chappelle's Show had its bombs then you have some serious rose-colored glasses going on.

It's possible to enjoy both for different reasons, I like how Key and Peele is unapologetically absurd and retarded because it kind of reminds me of the good seasons of In Living Color.

I'm not comparing it to Chappelle show because they're both hosted by black comedians. I'm comparing it to Chappelle show because it is a sketch comedy show, interspersed with stage dialogue/monologues and it's actually pretty watchable (unlike Mind of Mencia.) And yeah, the Chappelle Show definitely had bombs. They were just far more rare.

Really, I don't think it's a bad show, it's generally pretty watchable. I just don't think it's really worthy of the level of praise it gets.

Edit: This:

Ravane posted:

Imo, Key and Peele's best sketch is Inner-City Wizard School: http://vimeo.com/channels/keypeele/54162829

Or Continental Breakfast.

Is pretty loving funny though.

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jul 9, 2014

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

scary ghost dog posted:

People who don't like Key and Peele, IMO, while not racist, are definitely capable of racism. There's a degree of racial empathy that comes with enjoying black comedy like Key and Peele, or Kevin Hart, or Katt Williams. Just because the subjects are unfamiliar to you due to your white racial lineage, doesn't mean the jokes aren't knock-down hilarious. Key and Peele is brilliant sketch comedy, even if you don't think jokes about how black women's vaginas look like a philippe's french dip roast beef sandwich left out in the sun for half the day are funny.

If I hated a sketch they did about Hispanic gang members does that makes me racist against black people, or Hispanic people or both?

you're an idiot

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

scary ghost dog posted:

You're racist against neither, you just don't get it. Enjoying black humor, for white people, is an acquired taste, unless you're familiar enough with black culture to be tuned in enough to laugh with them.

What you're saying makes no sense. It's not like people dislike their sketches because they're too subtle.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

scary ghost dog posted:

So you think there's an objective standard quality for jokes that, if a joke is surface level enough, anyone can appreciate it, regardless of context, origin and tone? Because as far as I'm concerned, the only reason to dislike a joke is if you don't think it's funny, and the only reason someone wouldn't think a joke was funny, is if they didn't get it.

:psyduck:

zoux posted:

I guess you're new here but he's trolling you.

In actual news, Daredevil started shooting this week. :woop:

Ah, ok. Consider me trolled.

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jul 9, 2014

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

zoux posted:

Dramedy? That sounds retarded.

Well I didn't think anyone would fall for it but you got your time in the sun after all.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Glee started out giving their characters real emotions and problems and built real relationships between them and then somewhere around season 3 decided "oh poo poo we don't know where to go from here! Time to hit the reset button!"

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

bull3964 posted:

That was quick.

Microsoft is shuttering Xbox Entertainment Studios. So, Xbox is going to be out of the original content game before they really even got started.

Wow, I'm sure the lukewarm reaction at E3 was the final nail in the coffin.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

hcreight posted:

I'm going to guess that somebody on Glee did a terrible Nirvana cover at some point so you're sucked into it too!

Not Nirvana, but:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzO9S8tkSG4

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I seriously don't understand people complaining about Norman Reedus being part of it. Yeah, he's in Walking Dead but he's also the best part of Walking Dead performance-wise and was in stuff before that (Boondock Saints, anyone?)

Seems to me like people just don't like the idea of a recognizable actor in their video games for some reason.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

...of SCIENCE! posted:

There are people that like The Boondock Saints outside of GBS circa 2004?

I found/find it to be a fairly entertaining action movie with some pretty cool shootouts. Apparently people have issues with it, whatever, I don't think Norman Reedus was anyone's problem though.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Why is it so difficult to get to the general prime catalogue on amazon.com? When you open up My Prime you can either choose from 3 different genres of movie and tv show or go all the way down to the little tiny button that actually brings you to the full selection.

It's only an extra couple seconds, just really bothers me for some reason...

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Is there no Alpha House thread? Just finished season 2. John Goodman is my hero but the entire cast is really great.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

If I've got time after work I'll try and throw an Alpha House S2 thread together. It's kind of crazy to me that more people aren't talking about it but I guess if you're not on a network or House of Cards you probably aren't getting a ton of exposure :shrug:

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Amazon isn't available outside the U.S. So that doesn't help.

oh drat, didn't realize that. Not sure how they expect to compete with Netflix Originals when they're not marketing to the majority of the planet.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

less laughter posted:

Why do you care so much whether a bunch of nerds on an internet forum are talking about a show or not? Just watch and enjoy the shows you do and don't worry so much about external validation of your hobby, it's such a high school mentality.

Because it's fun to talk about the shows you like?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I don't understand how "nobody is talking about this show. I wish people were talking about this show so that I could talk about this show with them" is a high school mentality. It has been a while since I was in high school though.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

precision posted:

The HBO Collection makes Amazon Prime worth it for at least a month or two, but otherwise there isn't really enough content to keep it around indefinitely, since the film selection is pretty much "Netflix, but less" and Hulu has a generally much better TV selection.

Also, Amazon has the worst interface of all three, which is quite the accomplishment.

Yeah but in terms of pure value Prime also offers a bunch of free music as well as Prime shipping so it's a little different. Still, I wouldn't be paying for it if it hadn't auto-renewed for a year on me already.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Thanks to whoever recommended Transparent. I threw it on as something to watch while I practice guitar and I've become totally engrossed. What a powerful show.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Got a q for any Transparent fans:

In the episode where Ali goes on a date with the trans guy, she comes back to his house after the talent show and is like "wait, this is your house?" and seems really confused by the whole thing. I figured she was just supposed to be shell-shocked, or am I missing something?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

smg77 posted:

The first time she was at his house she was hallucinating/fantasizing that it was some hyper-masculine dwelling: it looked like a hunting lodge with hunting trophies on the wall, leather furniture, dark wood, etc. After the talent show and the awkward attempt at having sex in the bathroom stall when they went back to his house she saw it as it really was--completely generic.

Ah, cool thanks for the clarification. I completely missed that.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

zoux posted:

She talks about it with Carrie Brownstein's character in the next episode. It was pretty jarring to me. Also was that actor really trans?

Apparently so!

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3719520/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_i28

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Vincent posted:

Quick! Let's talk about comic book0 and moviess. Who would win in a fight? Movie Superman or Movie Goku?

woah man narrow it down a little bit. Which movies are we talking about here?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

started watching Grimm. The concept seemed really dumb to me which is why I avoided it for so long but it's actually not bad. Think it's kind of hamstrung by adhering to the procedural crime drama crap but I guess it brings in the viewers.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Sometimes I wonder if anybody would even notice if Zoey Deschanel disappeared from the cast of New Girl. She's by far the weakest member of the cast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

started watching Under the Dome. It's fairly entertaining but holy poo poo it's really disconcerting how goofy the characters are when everything is so grim all the time.

The Reverend tries to burn the town's medicine supply and they don't at least arrest the guy? What the gently caress?

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Nov 6, 2014

• Locked thread