Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Honestly I would have given this a chance. The designs are really quite good and the character's personalities do really lend themselves well to high school archetypes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Deadpool posted:

There are people that think if it gets an A+ on that site that means without dispute it's one of the best episodes of TV ever created.

They're so self important that they don't give A+ reviews for new episodes of TV shows. An A is the highest they'll go.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Deadpool posted:

My cousin has told me before that she really dreads watching those Disney shows with her daughter because they are excruciating to sit through. She said the acting and writing are pretty much bottom of the barrel stuff and hit you over the head with the lessons of the story in a way that would make any adult go insane watching them.

I dunno, I've been guilty of watching a random episode of Drake and Josh from time to time. I mean, the jokes are phoned in as all hell, and the parent characters don't seem like real people, but instead constructs assembled by some computer algorithm that is like 90% of the way of making a real human being, but I've been known to chuckle while Drake and Josh go to great lengths to sabotage their little poo poo of a sister's salsa recipe or whatever is going on that week.

I wouldn't touch anything like iCarly or Victorious or any of that with a 25 foot pole though. Talk about creepy adult audiences ruining it for normal people, Bronies ain't got poo poo on the adult male audience of Nickelodeon teen girl shows.

[Edit: gently caress the Bronie documentary, I want a doc about the creeps that post on the sordid depths of poo poo like /r/MirandaCroscrove (god I hope that isn't a real subr--oh, who am I kidding, :reddit:) and how they were arrested and sent to jail and all that.]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jun 15, 2014

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Dan Schneider, the guy behind live-action Nickelodeon sitcoms since Keenan and Kel, is such a creepy loving weirdo that I wouldn't be surprised if tales of Bryan Singer-level :pedo: debauchery were released tomorrow.

So

uh

:staredog:

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ravane posted:

So Game of Thrones has really strong points in its' visuals with great backdrops and nice settings. But the plot is just mediocre and the characterizations of the Middle Ages are really just thinly-veiled assumptions that everyone is a violent psychopath or a sexual deviant.

The show aspires to be many things, and you can see their ambition. The show wants to portray Middle Ages traditions, which it does well when it's not alluding to the fact that everyone is a violent psychopath. It suggests that there might be a need for a benevolent king in a warring country, to bring it peace, united with the use of force. But then it shits on that idea with a good dictator/bad dictator routine that just further grounds the black and white nature of monarchies that they were speaking out against. "We can kill this guy and face the psychopaths or save him and stop the psychopaths. Monarchies are grey like that."

The queen's son is just comically evil. He's a giant rear end in a top hat to everyone because he's got the power to be a giant rear end in a top hat to everyone. But he apparently never hurts his mother because he's got a slight Oedipal thing going with her (which makes sense, considering his father is his uncle). If he's an rear end in a top hat, why can't he be an rear end in a top hat to his mother too? It's because he's a badly characterized rear end in a top hat. It's just thrown in for the shock factor. "Ooh, we're like 300."

These characters have less dimensions than Paper Mario. The main character is so stupid, focusing on the relationship with the queen and her brother when there's clearly a coup going on in the background overshadowing everything. And then there's Loras, who would rather pursue a homosexual relationship in another kingdom with a guy he barely knows simply because he's gay. Guy just wants to get laid, I understand that. But not when that is the only aspect of his personality revealed. The queen's midget brother is the only sensible one, but he has two lines of dialogue and two minutes of screen time. Do not watch this show. :shrek:

Yeah, gently caress that Game of Thrones show, guys.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

loving hell, why isn't he in the TMNT movie?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

zoux posted:

It actually didn't.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is there a thread for network summer TV? I just now found out that NBC is rebroadcasting a show that Amy Pohler's brother made for a Swedish TV station.

It's not terrible, actually.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jul 14, 2014

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

drat, I've seen a lot of delusional people on the internet, but the guy who wants to make a sequel to Breaking Bad starring Val Kilmer and Slash :911:and Veterans:911: might be at the top of crazy mountain.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Jul 17, 2014

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

...of SCIENCE! posted:

If you want to bash a JJ Abrams movie do it to Super 8. Into Darkness had some good ideas even if it needed a few more rewrites to hammer them out, Super 8 just missed the mark entirely and was a completely forgettable experience without even having the excuse of a troubled production.

Super 8 is my go-to example of a failed homage. It does pretty well as an 80's Spielberg flick at first but then just devolves into mindless monster nonsense that completely forgets what it was trying to do in the first place. Another example is The Box, which is Richard Kelly trying for Kubrick (right up to the bugfucky wait what the hell is going on ending) but was greatly limited by his own "abilities".

The big problem with good directors is that they're rarely good by themselves. Again, Richard Kelly is a prime example. Say what you will about Donnie Darko, but compare the director's cut to the original and it's blatently clear that most of what made the movie work in the first place was the editor's doing.

But once a director has a few films under their belt, they stop seeking advice and help from other people in an effort to bring their singular vision to screen. Sometimes it works out well (Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Aronofsky). Most of the time, though, directors need someone to tap then on the shoulder and say "Hey, Rian, you've built a pretty drat cool future world here. Wouldn't it be better to set the climax of you movie about fate and responsibility in the beginnings of this world instead of the set of Witness?". Or " George, you've got some interesting ideas here, but why don't we workshop the dialogue a bit? And perhaps talk to the art department about not basing all the aliens on propaganda posters?"

And then there's the rare almost always consistent directors who value and solicit advice from others. Chris Nolan wouldn't be where he is today if he didn't work so closely with his brother. Same with the Coens.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jul 24, 2014

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'll give you the confidence, but there's a big difference between purposeful absurdim (Gilliam, Lynch) and derivitave absurdism (Kelly).

You can't force absurdism, it has to be something that comes naturally to you, or else it falls flat and cheap.

For what it's worth, I have a feeling if Kelly stepped back while making The Box and thought "Wait, why don't I just make a movie about my parents' real life?" it would have made for a much better film.

Instead, its like every idea has to be filtered though a drip feed of crazy in order for it to work as a movie. Have you read the script he wrote for Holes? It's batshit insane, and not in a good way. The fact that he thought Disney would greenlight a film in which a bunch of kids digging for the remnants of a nuclear bomb have sex with a prostitute speaks leagues to the way his mind works.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jul 24, 2014

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rarity posted:

Gravity Falls is popular and has two solid names in Jason Ritter and Kristen Schaal. Or did I just make up that entire show?

IRQ posted:

I remember that show, it was on for like 3 weeks 2 years ago.

Not only was the show real, the second season première was last night. It was a pretty good episode and introduced a new (hopefully reoccurring) character.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

muscles like this? posted:

Another VH1 thing I don't understand is that naked dating show. Who is that for? Is it just some pervert producer who gets off on making people get naked for no reason?

They're obviously not actually naked though, flesh colored pasties and underwear are obviously in use. MY IMMERSION

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hah, found proof that the Dating Naked contestants are never nude:

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Irish Joe posted:

Girls has gotten weird this season.

Yeah, moving it to VH1 has resulted in some... interesting creative choices.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Wow, I'm way more rocked by Robin Williams' death than I thought I would be. But then remembered Hook, Jumanji, Flubber... dude ruled mediocre kids films when I was growing up.

I only watched a couple of episodes of The Crazy Ones, but I enjoyed him in it. Kinda feels fitting that he went back to TV before he passed.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

bubblelubble posted:

Karl Pilkington's character on Derek is just Karl Pilkington wearing a ridiculous wig.

I just finished the diary episode of The Ricky Gervais show and I refuse to believe anything other than Karl being the greatest deadpan comedian of all time. We're talking some "The Prestige" level poo poo here, but there's no way in hell that someone actually like Karl could possibly exist and function in society (never mind having a moderately successful career as a radio producer).

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

hcreight posted:

Here it is, the ultimate TVIV clip: Alison Brie playing a Buffy parody on a failed pilot for a Not Another Teen Movie TV show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWPIVNqJ8K0

Yeesh. Three of my favorite actors are in this but it's just... awful.

When is this from? I can't imagine anyone thought that Not Another Teen Movie would be a bankable property anytime recently.

The movie is pretty funny though.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
My TiVo is ready for tomorrow! Though I guess there's a hard limit on how many episodes of a TV show it can see at a time...

(Guess there's a few things I can delete off of the season pass, now that I think about it.)

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Good point, fixed.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
There's gently caress all to watch over the summer and I figure my TiVo should be doing something for the $13 I'm paying for it each month.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Deadpool posted:

That's why it's best to just set up a HTPC and use cable cards if your provider has them. That's what we do. No DVR fee. And since you're not using cable equipment there's not even a box rental fee and there's a small monthly credit for using your own.

Ah, but you're forgetting the wife factor. She can barely stand my gaming PC sitting in the living room, let alone the noise it makes when it's on.

For a short period of time I actually had a USB tuner that could get local OTA signals. She wouldn't touch it unless I was in the room (even though I had programmed a universal remote that made the whole thing foolproof).

Don't get me wrong, she's a smart woman (and was a goon before I was, though she doesn't ever post anywhere) but TV :spergin: is hardly universal.

Also the other posters are right. Every cable service charges for their boxes, TiVo is hardly alone. Sure, I could sell my soul and get an X1 setup from Comcast (including a digital voice line no one will ever use) but they would charge a monthly fee for it. I can only subvert Comcast so much, and having a TiVo is one of the ways I do.

Plus it's got the best interface and recording capabilities anyway.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

precision posted:

All I know is I want more seasons of King of the Nerds. Preferably loaded with people like Phil Fish and Zoe Quinn.

It would have to air on HBO or Cinemax because of all the loving.

[Edit: Oh yeah, they tried the reality show format with game devs. It was a loving disaster.]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Aug 26, 2014

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The people who voted for Modern Family can go to hell, bit besides that I felt the Emmy awards were justly awarded.

That said, my viewing habits have not changed. Though I was reminded that I have been negligent in attempting to watch some shows (Good Wife, Scandal, Downton) and outright forgot about others (Person Of Interest, Elementary).

That said! Even though the Emmys have told me to watch American Horror Story: Coven I know better.

Thank you, TVIV thread. :downs:

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Berkeloid posted:

Here's the first season thread for Community. You'll note the first few pages are mostly full of people saying how great the pilot was.

Holy poo poo, reading the first few pages explained something for me. I watched the pilot waaaay back when NBC put it on Facebook the summer before it premièred. I didn't think it was that great, so I didn't give it another chance until the internet collectively shat themelseves over the first paintball episode.

The second time I watched the pilot, it was a lot funnier. I couldn't figure out why until the poster in the first few pages who mentioned that NBC apparently cut some material out of the version they aired. Those scenes are obviously in the DVD version, which is what I watched the second time.

So there's that mystery explained. I wonder what they were?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

sbaldrick posted:

Morrissey only observes the altar boys as they frolic then goes and rights a song about how sad it is he can't frolic with them.

Oooh, you altar boys
All dancing in the playground
With your dirty shoes and smiling faces

Oooh I, I don't ever think
That I could be happy like that
Frolicking in their robes as my soul gets even heavier

And God, God doesn't care
That I have some laundry to do and a cross to bear
No, God doesn't even care
That the altar boys, they taunt me with their frolics

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

zoux posted:

It's been getting pretty good buzz.

Oh and apparently DC is pitching a Supergirl series.

Seeing as how even the otherwise-stellar DCAU couldn't make her anything more than a whiny, entitled jerk I'm not optimistic about a likely CW Supergirl series. It'll probably be Gossip Girl Mark II: with superpowers this time.

...actually I probably would watch that.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Deadpool posted:

I'm sure one of you crazy people will want this ridiculous thing.

http://custom.tivo.com/mega_products.html

24TB storage, but only six tuners. I'll pass.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I was under the impression that Nathan For You was completely staged. Unless :thejoke:

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Deadpool posted:

She lost on the first stage. Which was kind of expected. She's really too short to get past a lot of the obstacles. One other taller girl made it farther than she did on that stage but eventually went out because she ran out of time.

Had she made it farther into the obstacle with the jump she would have been fine. But the obstacle curves on the outside and is farther apart. The trick is jump as far into as possible. Even fully extended she's too short to make it without a deep jump.

Aww jeeze, that's really unfortunate. But hopefully her success in the qualifiers will inspire them to spin off a Women Ninja Warrior show with challenges tweaked a bit so that they actually have a chance. Not saying they should be easier, of course, but just change or tweak things a bit so that things like their height or armspan doesn't immediately disqualify them from the competition.

I know that it may not be 100% PC to segrigate competitive events based on sex but I don't think there's any way to make the challenges be equal for both sexes. If the section above had been narrower the guys would have had an unfair advantage.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sober posted:

Not trying to sound like I'm ringing the :biotruths: bell or calling inherent sexism but I do get the feeling the courses were probably created in mind for like average strong American dood. I mean, there are women that can obviously qualify and participate but it's probably harder for them to get as far just because of actual biology determining things like average height, weight, etc. that you can't really overcome despite training.

I'm probably also getting dangerously close to :biotruths: territory myself but it's generally accepted that agile, athletic women are on the shorter side of things (notible exception: women's basketball, for obvious reasons). In the past 60 years, 78% of Olympic Gymnasts were within three inches of five feet tall.

Watching Kacy excel at the qualifier was loving exilerating, and to have her fail so desperately and in a way she didn't deserve is, quite frankly, depressing.

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not blaming the course designers/the show/whatever for it. I'm not going full Tumblr ableist "stupid man pigs, how dare they only design a course for men" over here. But I would love a show for Kacy and women like her to show how incredibly badass and amazing they are.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
This thread derail is the worst. But you know what isn't the worst? You're The Worst. Let's talk about that some more instead.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

DivisionPost posted:

I gotta catch up on it. But I find it hard to believe that any exchange will top:

:mad: "My phone is covered in goo!"
:argh: "Well JOIN THE CLUB, PHONE!"

I posted that way upthread. Still adore it.

A few episodes later there's one that had me laughing far into the credits:

"Wait, you're gay?"
"No, but this nigga sucks really good cock."

It kinda relies on the context of the episode, though.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jack Skeleton posted:

I love that exchange where the rappers talk about their normal clothing, you know, what they wear to the farmer's market.

It's really such an amazing show. I hope it gets another season.

Yeah, Sam is great. He's equal parts Donald Gover, Tyler the Creator, and Frank Ocean. Some reviewers got on the show's case about them but I think Sam's a petty accurate depiction of a modern rapper.

I'm curious to see how the show will go in season two of it gets one. I mean, I appreciate the characters maturing and not being terrible people anymore but I really do enjoy the Draco Malfoy rants and cat stealing antics of the characters as the are currently.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Barry Convex posted:

So is no one interested in Gotham or what? It premieres tomorrow and yet no one has posted in the thread for like a week.

I wasn't until AV Club gave it a B and favorably compared Jada's performance to Ertha Kitt's Catwoman.

Plus what the hell else am I gonna watch before Sleepy Hollow?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

soapgish posted:

Gotham City is a far more interesting character than Batman himself but the two require being informed by each other, which is why THE DARK KNIGHT is so beloved despite not being about Batman. The premise, the potential is all there, though the implication that Gordon and our protagonists are so damned ineffectual that the cast of villains is all there and will still be free twenty years later looms over what all know to come later and will likely sour people very quickly.

To be fair, the criminals keep escaping in the Batman comics too. I'm sure that the GCPD will put away Penguin et. al. during the course of the series, it's just that they'll keep escaping/being let out on parole/whatever from Arkham Asylum or Ravenholm or wherever the heck they put them in the series.

Basically blame the revolving door prison system, not the GCPD.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well, Madam Secretary set a new record for me giving up on a show.

For what it was worth it was the husband sitting on a table talking to enraptured students that did it in. Ugh.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Sep 22, 2014

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Okay, first real day of the Fall tv season report!

Gotham wasn't as terrible as I thought it would be (I guess they rewrote Alfred's dialog after it leaked) but it wasn't great, either. JPS channeling Eartha Kitt was pretty great, and the actor playing the Penguin did a good job. But overall it didn't really feel like there was too much differentiating it from other procedurals besides the sometimes terrible dialog. Donal Logue did what he could with the script, but all he ultimately achieved was remind me of Terriers. Gotham also gets some points off for the is he/isn't he Joker cameo. All in all, C. I'll tune in next week.

Sleepy Hollow was glorious, piling on the crazy in the way that only it can. That said, it was definitely a "resetting the prices" episode and I'm looking forward to a more involving episode next week. B+

Scorpion: the fact that CBS thinks that encasing the title in an HTML tag is a clever idea demonstrates how much respect the show has for technology. Like Sleepy Hollow, it seeks refuge through audacious fictionalization, but forgot that that particular gambit only works if the characters involved are likeable. D, not sure if I'll even give it a second chance.

And while Gravity Falls didn't return tonight (it came back a few weeks ago) it did have the best episode of its season yet with a "dating sim meets Five Nights At Freddie's" storyline. Why isn't anyone watching this show?

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Sep 23, 2014

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rarity posted:

Sleepy Hollow is the genrest genre show of all time.

Star Trek, Quantum Leap, X-Files, Buffy, Lost, Battlestar Galactica, Fringe, Terriers, Person Of Interest, Arrow...

Don't get me wrong, I love Sleepy Hollow as much as the new goon, but there's some pretty stiff competition out there. Plus Sleepy Hollow's only had one season. I'm gonna wait until it's had at least three seasons (or is cancelled) before giving it a title like that.

Unless SciFi shows don't fit under your definition of genre show... in which case it's still debatable.

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/Argh, I totally misread it too. Okay, I won't debate the "genre-ist" genre show... Well, actually, Buffy, X-Files, Fringe, and Arrow might still trump Sleepy Hollow. But that's a much more reasonable argument, yes.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Sep 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I actually liked most of the villains, actually. They were all pretty much equally over the top. If Gotham fully embraces the campiness, it'll be the better for it. I absolutely am expecting a "Don't you know? Penguins eat Fish!" line when he takes over the syndicate.

There's the two extremes of Batman: campy 60's show Batman and Frank Millar Goddamn Batman. The Arkham games have done the best job (so far) of balancing the two and Gotham feels like it's taking a decent amount of inspiration from them.

I didn't love the Joker fake out, though. That kinda thing is pointless fanbait and I hope we don't get a hypothetical Joker every week.

With a little bit of tweaking (and some significant work on the dialog) Gotham could actually be decent. It's not gonna upset Arrow from the throne of best dramatic comic book show ever (I had to qualify because The Tick takes the honors of best comic book show) but it's got plenty of potential.

\/\/\/\/\/\/No, thank gently caress Christ. Though any British actor worth their salt would see a line like that and veto it immediately, so I doubt that it ever really had a chance of staying in anyway.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Sep 23, 2014

• Locked thread