Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Guys, I don't know how the hell it happened, but I ended up as a contestant on Who Wants to be a Millionaire. I just got back from Stamford, CT for the taping of my show.

There's not a lot of stuff I can talk about until my episode airs, and I'm not sure when that'll be just yet -- they repeatedly told us that the order the shows tape aren't necessarily the order they'll air, but we'd know for sure a week and a half before-hand.

But I can tell you this: Terry Crews is awesome, and they had a couple of interesting changes for the new season. Today has just been absolutely insane.

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jun 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gonz posted:

Holy balls. Congratulations, you son of a bitch! Question (answer if possible): who did you use as your phone-a-friend? Does that show even have a phone lifeline anymore?

They were pretty clear that I couldn't talk about the lifelines in my game for understandable reasons (and the show's lawyer was such a nice guy that I don't want to disappoint him), but they haven't used phone-a-friend since 2011.

Annakie posted:

That is awesome! Please make a thread and let us know when you know your episode is gonna air. I hope you're a millionaire or at least significantly richer than you were yesterday!

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The TVIV > Oafish, Fat Goon Wants to be Millionaire; Gets Yelled at by Terry Crews

...too much?

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well, since it's 2008 again: hey! They're bringing back American Gladiators!

again

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jul 11, 2014

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Am I going to have to start talking about game shows again?

Because I will do that.

I will loving talk about game shows.

EDIT: Skin Wars on GSN, Tonight at 9, RuPaul is a judge. Pawnography's main game is some tepid, directionless crap that the bonus game doesn't quite make up for. The Chase got awesome last night with that Super Offer gimmick they introduced.

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Aug 6, 2014

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

raditts posted:

Look at that thing, it's beautiful.

Agreed. That fro was magnificent to behold.

CobiWann posted:

Tell me about Card Sharks.

Created by Chester Feldman. The very basic idea to the show got its start when he used it as the bonus game to a pilot from 1975 called "King of the Hill", during one of stints where he *wasn't* working for Goodson/Todman.

In the latter half of the seventies, Goodson/Todman really liked three types of games: games where you had to communicate something to another person, games where you had to predict the outcome, and games they already done before and can do again. Card Sharks seemed right up their alley. With Match Game, a player is predicting the (drunk) individual jerk's opinion on humor. Family Feud has a team predicting 100 jerks' opinions on facts -- never mind that the opinions don't even have to be anywhere near a correct interpretation of those facts, they just have to be popular enough to get on the board. But with Card Sharks, we're covering an entirely different aspect: you're not trying to predict whether or not people are jerks, you're trying to predict how big the jerk problem really is. "The actual number of married men who would cheat on their wife if they knew they could get away with it is... 85!? Wow, what a bunch of jerks!"

The 1978 version was really about the best you could get at the game without shoehorning crap into it. The 1980s revival missed that page towards the end when they tried to work in both versions of the post-Money Cards bonus game ("You won $16,000 in 1986 dollars, but we're totally going to kill the mood because you didn't find the car behind card #7.") The 2001 revival was just a piece of work -- if a player can win a game you've presented as a contest of skill with absolutely no input whatsoever on their part, especially considering how people could find the reruns of the earlier versions on GSN with which to make a comparison, you've done something terribly, terribly wrong.

Jim Perry was the best host, but the dude was the best host at just about anything he did, even when it came to really low-budget Canadian shows like Definition. When it comes to Bob Eubanks... I just don't know. It seems like watched a bunch of old episodes from Perry's run and tried to match his energy levels, but something comes across as less than genuine in his handling of the show. Pat Bullard did a competent job with the turd he had to try and polish. Generally, I try not to give hosts too hard of a time, because there has been a lot of decent talent for hosting over the years who just get stuck with some really terrible games.

So, yeah. Card Sharks. Good poo poo.

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Aug 6, 2014

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

precision posted:

I seriously love watching old game shows when I'm too stoned and tired from work to really do anything involving brain cells. YouTube doesn't have nearly enough variety though, don't get me wrong, Match Game is the TITS but at this point I've probably watched every episode on there at least twice.

I miss the old Game Show Network. I have no idea when they stopped showing black and white game shows all night (and Starcade!) but gently caress them. Just gently caress them.

:ssh: they have match game in canada now

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Aug 6, 2014

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Skin Wars is on, and already I hate two of the contestants. I hate Dutch because he's a red-headed Guy Fieri, and I hate Gear for shopping exclusively in the Naruto section of Hot Topic. And for having a name like Gear.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Honestly, I'd settle for the simple, present-day batshit that was Whodunnit.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dr Tran posted:

SNL's Don Pardo is dead

:(

Not just SNL, he was NBC's Don Pardo. Dude's been working there since the price is right was in black and white.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just wanted to pop in right quick -- I still haven't heard when my episode of Who Wants to be a Millionaire will air, but the latest promo is out. I'm in it. You can probably guess which one I am.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkCmAwRJFhU

Now that I actually see myself in the studio, it occurs to me that I really need to make a thread in the fitness log cabin

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I can neither confirm nor deny how I did until it airs. Only that would be the amount of money I would win if I walked at that very instant. I have to keep telling my family that everybody really shouldn't get their hopes up because they know me and they know how things usually work out for me.

I didn't even go into it expecting to win anything, just to try and meet a personal goal that had been steadily changing as I got closer to the tape date. It went from "Let's win the million!" when I got off the phone with the contestant coordinator, to "Let's not wear fedoras and anime wolfshirts on national television!" by the time I got to the studio. You go for what you think you can achieve and build on it from there, because at that point, I didn't even know if I would get bounced on the very first question.

You wouldn't have thought to see it in person, but it literally Terry's third day on the job. I didn't get a chance to talk to him much during the stoppages, because he was constantly getting instructions from the booth over his earpiece. He had the energy, He knew how to work the crowd, and knew when to stand back and let the drama play out. Considering my biases, Terry Crews could be the shot in the arm the show needs, like how Steve Harvey has boosted Family Feud's ratings. I will tell you this as well: Dude likes his hugs, but that's okay because I like them, too.

Also, I have just been told that the local affiliate will be moving the show to 2 am over here. I really regret promising on the invitations that we were going to watch this live. Also, I regret actually paying money for printed invitations in this day and age.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Irish Joe posted:

Like hugging a beanbag chair.

Terry Crews' words to the letter.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

smg77 posted:

How difficult was it to achieve this goal?

Roughly the same degree of difficulty as "Let's not soil ourselves in front of a studio audience!" Like I said, you go with what you think you can handle and build on it from there.

Aphrodite posted:

Hopefully we don't find out Terry Crews is a total rear end in a top hat though.

True, that. :ohdear: It's a bit of a jolt to go from laughing at Steve Harvey gurning for twenty minutes because somebody guessed "penis" to finding out some of the poo poo he's said.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Joan Rivers has passed away. :(

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Guys, my episode of Millionaire is tomorrow.

For those of you who will be watching: I am so, so sorry for what you're about to put yourselves through.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

toanoradian posted:

These past few days I've been binging on game shows that are on YouTube: Jeopardy, The Price is Right, Scrabble, The Chase, etc etc. What other game shows would you guys recommend? Please don't say Deal or No Deal.

If you're looking for old, speedy, and 'murican, there's a handful of the 1970s run of "Split Second" worth checking out. Also, "Whew!" is pretty awesome, if a little short and complicated.

If you're looking for more recent and international, I'll add to the love for Only Connect, (the app version just hit the US and Canadian App Store. If you have an ipad, it's worth the $1.99).

Episodes of "Million Dollar Minute" from Australia have started showing up on YouTube, and it's a pretty decent cash-only version of "Sale of the Century."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fresh on the heels of GSN's successful "Skin Wars," they're following up by developing a companion piece: "Steampunk'd"

quote:

STEAMPUNK’D is a wildly creative competition series featuring talented artists, designers and inventors who create “Steampunk,” a popular genre of science fiction and fantasy that fuses modern technology and Victorian Age aesthetics to turn everyday objects into works of art. Contestants will be challenged to marry objects from the past and present in order to create futuristic designs and inventions. Dramatic reveals each week will build to a grand finale of a fully Steampunk'd world, so get ready for "before" and "after" like none you've ever seen before! STEAMPUNK’D is executive produced by Kimberly Belcher Ehrhard, John Ehrhard (“Hogan Knows Best,” “Miami Social”) and Lauren Stevens of Pink Sneakers Productions.

:ughh:

• Locked thread