Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Should I finish Season 2 of Korra? I watched up through the origin of the avatar special which was pretty good but stopped there.

Your Youtube of the day is TOM CLANCY'S NETFORCE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ub22k36YwLA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Irish Joe posted:

Only if you have a strong tolerance for anime and anime-esque bullshit.

raditts posted:

How do you feel about absurd kaiju battles?

MrAristocrates posted:

The finale is hilariously dumb. I'm not sure it's worth pushing through everything else though.
Sounds like I am going to love it!

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Does Dominion take place 25 years after Legion which already took place some years in the future?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
So tonight's episode of NBC's "Taxi Brooklyn" looks and sounds and feels like one of those fake NBC parody shows from the Community Finale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13HbQbTM1F0

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Rarity posted:

Worst ones are Lost, for starting the practice of 10 second long opening themes
No that was Alias and 24.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Who is ready for the last of The Killing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oU7clobUQmQ

hope and vaseline posted:

Zuh? Alias never had that short of a title opening. Sometimes it skipped the opening completely, or the cold open would last for 20 minutes and then they would cut to it...
Alias had like a 15 second title opening, 24 had like a 5 second title opening, split the difference and you get 10 seconds.

xcore posted:

I was literally sitting at my desk at work today and thinking "I'm gonna ask TV couch chat what ever happened to American Gods tonight" and I come home to this news.

Fuller and Green is cool news too.

But Starz? Eeesh. That concerns me.

zoux posted:

Starz did Spartacus mate.
How was Ray Donovan?

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jul 3, 2014

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

xcore posted:

I liked it. I will watch the second season if there is one.

A little plodding at times though.
So maybe STARZ is alright now?

Better than SHOWTIME at any rate?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
This is amazing

http://mic.com/articles/92759/iran-...campaign=social

"The news: Iran's new comedy show Haft Sang is a shot-for-shot ripoff of American hit TV show Modern Family. The only differences in the unauthorized remake are that gay dads Mitch and Cam have been turned into heterosexual men or written out, the daughters have been changed into sons and other characters' gender changed to avoid pre-marital mixing of men and women.

An Iranian fan who illegally downloaded the original show posted the comparison video below: It's a fascinating look into how Modern Family is being reinterpreted within a theocratic state's confines."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gKAF_t8wY8

Someone should re-import this to America to run on all the stations that won't run the gay Modern Family

Norwegian Rudo posted:

Ray Donovan is a Showtime show, so I'm not quite sure what your point is??
My mistake.

So Showtime still wins right?

Sober posted:

Starz is still mostly on a per-show basis.

99% of what Showtime has, they ruin eventually.
What other good shows has STARZ made? Was Crash good?

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jul 4, 2014

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Marcus what does the scouter say?

MrAristocrates posted:

Apparently this is premiering on NBC tomorrow, and all I can think of is this.

I find absolutely everything about this image offensive.
It's happening....

comes along bort posted:

It's pretty much this. Players' names have gotten ludicrous the past decade or so. A school near me they got a Zeek, Demage, K'Hadree, and a Khyron this year. And that's just the defensive line.

Are they a football team or the Order of the Bat'leth?
No, they are alien races from Star Control 2.

Gonz posted:

Reminder: The Bridge returns for a second season starting tomorrow on FX.
The question is, WHY?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Bown posted:

Apparently in the second episode they make it more clear that it most definitely was a rape. Anyway either way this show just sounds really nasty, and I guess I can count myself as one of the "sick of white male antihero" types.
I kind of wonder if Liev Schriber can play anyone else?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Aphrodite posted:

I was just watching Whose Line, and they had an ad for a show premiering right now called Seed.

The tagline is "Fifteen years after donating sperm, Harry Dacosta is about to get a load of fatherhood."

I'm not sure if this is the best or worst tagline I've ever heard.

Burst? West?
Uh isn't that a Canadian show? And a couple years old at this point?

Are they making an American remake?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Longmire is excellent.
I think ever Native American actor in hollywood has been on this show at this point.

Deadpool posted:

As a result of pure happenstance a few us have stumbled upon the greatest television show ever made. We now present to you the new Official TV Series of TVIV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxCg26VZ0bQ

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I think this was on the same time as Beetleborgs. Man there were a lot of bad power rangers rip offs.

FilthyImp posted:

Seeing as how Mystic Knights and Beetleborgs were both made by Saban, its hard to call them ripoffs.

Mystic Knights was the first attempt by Saban to do a Ranger style show without Japanese tokusatsu footage, though.

If you're going for actual ripoffs, though, you best go right for the king :magical:

http://youtu.be/qmhRKU5zBS8
I don't think any show has had such an impact on TV as Power Rangers. Not 24, not The Sopranos, nothing. Think about it.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lF3vxmJsDIk

So with this, Taxi Brooklyn, Food Fighters, and Working the Engles, can we say that NBC programming has now surpassed the Community Finale?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Oh I agree about there being tons of bad shows quickly forgotten every year but there's just something about the particular ZEITGEIST of bad of this year's crop that MR. EGYPT and CAPTAIN COOK and MINDJACKER captured.

For example, THE MYSTERIES OF LAURA is probably going to be a bad show, but it doesn't fit into the same kind of "wait is this a bad show or a parody of bad shows" that all these others do.

VDay posted:

So either Harmon or someone at Community got a peak at NBC's list of upcoming shows and spoofed it, right? Because the idea that they came up with their cheesy awful fakes by themselves and then were one-upped (one-downed?) by NBC's actual, real programming is kind of mind-boggling.

e: For some reason I thought 2-3 of the shows had similar premises, but I guess it's just Captain Cook/Food Fighters. Still an impressively fake-sounding lineup from NBC though. Hope some people got some well-earned promotions for those hot bangers.
My best guess is that working with the execs for so many years they got a "feel" for the kinds of horrible failures of shows they would inevitably greenlight and parodied that in a fairly spot-on manner.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Josh Lyman posted:

How is Dominion?
It's not very good and being sandwiched next to the far superior Defiance and Spartacus TV Edit does it no favors.

That said it's also far better than any TV series followup to the movie Legion has any right to be.

I mean who was asking for a sequel to Legion???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_y-VxF_4tE

But if you can't resist Mighty Morphin Power Angels or want more of that Supernatural angel drama with a higher budget, it's the only game in town.

bull3964 posted:

The only reason why Lost got the attention that it did is because it was one of the first genre shows that somehow managed to attract a mainstream audience.

bull3964 posted:

Point of fact, every example you gave (barring the broad category of Superhero movies) was post Lost, but that's not really the point I was trying to make. There have always been scifi blockbusters and there have even been high rated genre tv shows before.

Let's boil this down a bit more. Lost was the first high profile scifi/fantasy show in the post internet era that gathered a mainstream audience. That led to much more widespread discussion and media exposure. There wasn't anything special about it that made it a mainstream success and there's nothing that really warrants the level of discussion that surrounds it compared to other shows. It just happened to show up at the right place at the right time to embed itself in the culture.
X-Files???

ashpanash posted:

He's the internet personified, for good or ill.
He's not calling everyone fags and complaining about how feminism is ruining comics and videogames.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Jul 24, 2014

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Sober posted:

I guess it's a problem for the nerd contingent then, because if you focus on too much on character in their space show (this I feel is almost universal for sci-fi but not fantasy) they will call it a "soap opera" which is laughably the dumbest thing I have heard from nerds in a long time.
To be fair that is a valid criticism of Defying Gravity which was all (very poor) interpersonal drama and the only sci-fi was that they were on a spaceship and had to return some alien baby thingy to Mars in the last 10 minutes of the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8WaAyw_HYA

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

muscles like this? posted:

Looks like Amazon is the latest to try and turn The Man in the High Castle into a TV show with Ridley Scott. It was previously shipped around to BBC and Syfy but neither of them bit the bullet.
This has to be due to the success of Wolfenstein.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

hollylolly posted:

Does anyone else watch Major Crimes? It's one of those shows that isn't really TVIV material (procedural, crime drama, direct successor to The Closer), but it's consistently great, mainly because of the strength of their characters. Anyway, last week they introduced the Special Operations team of the LAPD led by AndreaLaurie Holden and it was a really good episode.

TNT is doing an online poll with some of it's shows recently called the TV Inner Circle (The Last Ship is one), and there was an extensive poll for Major Crimes today, indicating they're thinking about spinning out another show in the Closer/Major Crimes universe centered on the SO team and possibly getting Jon Tenney's Fritz Howard to lead the team. Which may or may not be a good idea - I'm not confident on Laurie Holden's ability to carry a TV show but her character at least seemed smart and confident (with a tragic past). The SWAT characters they introduced were great, though, including one I'm sure posts in YLLS.

So, um. That's a thing. The end.
So uh Major Crimes is the good one and not MITF (Murder in the First) right?

I get them easily confused.

Which one has more Battlestar Galactica alumni?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

...of SCIENCE! posted:

And of course the second question is about anime :doh:
What anime does Hannibal like, being the japanophile that he is and all?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

I'm watching a movie on AMC and they just had a commercial for Turn, except they kept calling it "Turn: Washington's Spies" did they rebrand it or something?
That's what they're calling the second season.

Better than Turn: The True Story of America's First Spy Ring... aka TTSoAFSR

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
This is from the politics thread but you really must see it. It is literal drunk history in the making.

http://crooksandliars.com/2014/07/sarah-palins-oddball-speech-denver-sounds

No, they're doing this when re-airing the first season.
Huh that's super weird.

AMC.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Deadpool posted:

I never ever want the context for this. Just let my imagination have this one please.
I don't think there is any way to sufficiently explain the context anyway.

hcreight posted:

As fun as the Sharknado movies are, the bulk of The Asylum's catalog is still hot garbage and not even enjoyable as B movies. Tread with caution.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I really liked their Sherlock Holmes one actually.

Why is there a dinosaur?

FilthyImp posted:

I just found out that Animation Domination HD got shitcanned.

Its a shame, because their animated shorts were pretty damned good poo poo.
Were they really?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Fateo McMurray posted:

Manhattan is better than The Strain and The Leftovers combined. Too bad most people don't get/have no idea what WGN is.
Or they watched Salem and decided to not give WGN another chance.

FilthyImp posted:

Scientifically Accurate (X) was good from day one. They had some pretty decent ones (Captain America Statistics).

It scratched my Liquid TV itch. Though it relied a bit on nerdy humor.

I think the biggest problem was launching with High School USA. That's a show that was just uneven enough to put people off. Plus, the block would have needed a while to establish itself (and unlike AS, didn't have the luxury of acquiring third-party stuff to bolster itself).
We got Scientifically Accurate Ducktales and Accurate Captain America. Axe Cop was okay when it wasn't advertising the Xbox One every 15 minutes. Was anything else worth a drat?

zoux posted:

The Event. Or Heroes post s1. The Cape. Help I thought about NBC and now I can't stop listing terrible dramas. My Own Worst Enemy!
The Cape was fantastic.

I'm starting to think that as much as I love Keith David, he is poison to any show he is a regular in.

The Event deserves credit for being the one Lost-wannabe show that promised something huge and delivered on it, and even if what it delivered was hilariously bad it was pretty unexpected.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Manhattan: Let's kill off the only minority character in the second episode!

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Irish Joe posted:

In The Cape the manipulative villain Peter Fleming... well he doesn't have a chess motif such as an overwhelming obsession with it. He compares real world actions to specific chess strategies, wears contact lenses that make his pupils look like chess pieces, and uses a holographic interface hidden under a chessboard that when activated arranges itself into a chessboard layout. And of course his supervillain name is Chess.
And this is why The Cape was awesome.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Yeah at this point Arrow survived the Summer Glau kiss of death since it was renewed. Maybe the key is to kill off her character?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

raditts posted:

The Cape was loving dumb as hell but at least it was an interesting, self-aware kind of dumb, which is more than can be said about Heroes or any of its lovely me-too superhero contemporaries. I would rather have had six seasons and a movie of The Cape than one season of Agents of B.O.R.E.D. and God only knows how many seasons we'll be getting of that poo poo.

Also "Why do you always bother me while I'm drinkin'?!" is one of my favorite Keith David lines of all time, he did a prime scenery-chewing job in that show.
The Agents of Shield finale came pretty close to The Cape's self-aware dumbness (Hobo Sam Jackson, the fate of Bill Pullman), too bad about the rest of the season.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Lost is overall such a well done show (and a great showcase of the incredible variety of locations you can get out of shooting on a tiny tropical island plus some special effects) but man do they stick the landing hard. It's like anime bad.

I mean it's still affecting because they cash in 7 years worth of emotional payoff but maaaaaaaaaaaan.

Sober posted:

Holy crap, making my way through season 4 of Farscape and wow they got back to Earth for real, no mindfuck episodes or anything, and just so they could use it to set up the end I'm guessing. And then they leave! Jesus I couldn't stop. Kinda sucks it was kinda only for one episode, but honestly sending the crew to Earth felt just as alien as anything else in Farscape, just some things were more familiar than usual.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Fooz posted:

Should have finished the show before inviting the internet to chime in.
It's a looooooooooong show dude.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
So besides poorly justified T&A, is Legends actually any good?

Also how long to you expect a show with Sean Bean in the lead to last? I mean they HAVE TO kill him off at some point right?

That's either a really poorly modelled banyan tree or those are not banyan trees Mr. Locke.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Wait did their random USA Network Drama title generator actually predict Common Law as being a thing?

zoux posted:

So I just found out that the TV show Viper had a syndicated run after it was cancelled from NBC and ran for four seasons and had 78 episodes :eyepop:
And with a lower budget!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RH0Rlrz4UXo

Supervehicle shows really had a comeback around that time. Two Knight Rider movies and a Knight Rider TV series. No, not that NBC one, that came later. I'm talking about Team Knight Rider.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jk8dhYQqoA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCXYWpkQ9NQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgf73guBKrg

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Deadpool posted:

That's why it's best to just set up a HTPC and use cable cards if your provider has them. That's what we do. No DVR fee. And since you're not using cable equipment there's not even a box rental fee and there's a small monthly credit for using your own.
So is Microsoft ever going to update MCE?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Aphrodite posted:

$110 for Windows Media Center if you have Windows 8 Home.
What if you have Win 8 Pro?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

lelandjs posted:

Ah, but you're forgetting the wife factor. She can barely stand my gaming PC sitting in the living room, let alone the noise it makes when it's on.

Deadpool posted:

I don't know what you're putting in a gaming PC that makes so much noise (my guess is a bunch of fans) but my HTPCs make pretty much no noise at all unless you're sitting literally right next to them and even then barely so. But even then the rooms they're in are pretty large so you'd never know they're there at all except for the power light on the front which is tiny.
Yeah there's no need for a gaming PC in the living room, your MCE PC could even be a tiny fanless j1900 celeron. No fans no noise.

If only there was a Roku Windows Media Center extender, then you wouldn't have to interact with the box at all. It would just be sitting somewhere, recording shows.

raditts posted:

Then it's still $10. The extra $100 is to upgrade from Home to Pro. It's stupid and terrible and I don't get it, but y'know, Microsoft.
You can always use other TV software, even use WMP instead, but WMP is a lousy alternative and I haven't liked any of the others (even the goon-vaunted XBMC) since BeyondTV which was last updated like a decade ago.

The only thing you really need WMC for is if you have an Xbox 360 and want to stream your TV through the WMC 360 app, which to me is the ideal way to do it currently.
Ah, thanks for clearing that up. It's sad that they still charge $10 for what seems to be an un-updated MCE program (what no metro version?) but that's not a bad price at least.

What other TV software is there though? GB-PVR disappeared and Google bought SageTV and made it their own proprietary thing rather than something you can buy for your computer.

I guess there's still MythTV if you want to mess around with Linux... and deal with the pain of getting TV listings. It's probably still easiest to just use MCE since MS bought a TV listings company and will probably provide them basically forever.

Oh and thanks for letting me know about the WMC 360 app. If you have a 360 then it sounds like a good deal to just have the MCE box sitting headless somewhere and just use the 360 front end to do everything.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
The Blacklist is pretty terrible except for everything James Spader does.

Having it on Netflix makes it easier to just watch James Spader scenes I guess.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Vincent posted:

The third season was really bad and pretty much shat on all the characters that aren't Longmire or his... what do you call a magical negro that's a native american?.
Hey there's a crazy Indian guy who believes he's a time travelling dog soldier spirit warrior and he's trying to kill you Branch but no one believes you oh wait he's behind all the murders ever and even gets Lou Diamond Phillips out of his murder rap so you're ok psyche your father is going to kill you for no reason

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

J-Spot posted:

Amazon, if you're going to go bringing back unlikely series can you please give The Critic another go? It doesn't have to be good, I just want something to compel Al Jean to finally quit The Simpsons.
Do you want The Critic animated in cheap flash style?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

MrAristocrates posted:

If you guys were wondering about the Korra thread, it's currently talking about Dumbledore.
How is the latest season?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Mu Zeta posted:

It's great and it ended on a fairly dark note. I'm excited about where it can go. The first couple seasons were really flawed.
Wait, is it going to get more seasons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Aphrodite posted:

Aren't there laws about access to the broadcast networks?

IRQ posted:

Indeed there are, but if the network are being greedy cunts about it (which they all are) they can be refused carriage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Must-carry#Retransmission_consent

tl;dr: broadcast networks have to be carried on cable/whatever, unless they want extra money for it because they are assholes.
Yeah basically stations that don't want to charge money MUST be carried by cable networks - hence all the niche foreign language UHF stations that get carried - but if they want to actually charge money, they can get dropped. All the broadcast networks want to charge money now, more than most cable stations charge.

hcreight posted:

The lyrics to "gently caress You" don't exactly paint him as someone who has a healthy relationship with women.
But he sings it in such a happy bouncy way it sounds ironic!

Also, Begin Again is hilarious in retrospect.

• Locked thread