Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Sober posted:

Mad Men also time jumps inbetween seasons but I guess that's mostly the virtue of not having to recast Sally and occasionally Glen (going back to the earlier seasons is really weird with them).

Does Mad Men really count as a time jump? I think it's pretty common for cable shows that air two months out of a year to have 1-1.5 years in between. Show is on its 7th season and 9 years have passed in show-time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
The Hound isn't really a minor character. Also, Jon Snow just had an entire episode about him, enough's enough.

Edit: other than people who've read the books, I don't see anyone complaining that Jamie's 'redemptive arc' is now bad and Tyrion killing his father wasn't a great scene because it was all too quick.

Pedro De Heredia fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jun 19, 2014

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Fateo McMurray posted:

The Leftovers is ok. You'll hate it if you need everything explained or are a dummy who was set on hating it before you even watch it. Which it seems most people were so they could post about how right they were about not liking it.

People want to pretend like they 'learned' the lesson from LOST. But all they're doing is making the criticisms that they'd wished they made about LOST when it aired, but about this show, which isn't really similar to LOST at all.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
Complaining about TV characters being assholes in the year 2014.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Tuxedo Jack posted:

100,000+ people died in a Tsunami less than a decade ago. People move on.

I just don't get it. Sorry.

The people in the show didn't die, they disappeared.

In real life, many people have a very hard time moving on when their loved ones disappear, because they don't know if they actually died. And in those cases, the disappearance isn't likely to be supernatural, and there are good explanations (accident, kidnap+murder, etc.)

The divorce scene in this last episode highlights the issue. Nora 'divorces' her disappeared husband, and is reminded that the divorce is binding, should the husband ever come back. You have to move on from your children and husband being gone even though you don't even know if they'll just return tomorrow. This makes it incredibly difficult to move on, because there is a lot of guilt there. I mean, people already feel guilty about moving on from actual deceased people who will never come back. This is even worse.

Pedro De Heredia fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Aug 6, 2014

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
It's not a talking point, though. It's real.

The show's based on a book that gives no explanation to the disappearance, the premise requires the event to be unexplainable, and Lindelof has said on interviews that they're not really interested in explaining the mystery, and that if you didn't like how LOST didn't answer mysteries, you wouldn't like this show either.

Now, it's alright to not want to watch the show because you'd like the mystery to be explored.

But you can see in a lot of replies and criticisms that many people want everyone to know that they're dropping the show because they're not going to let Lindelof swindle them again or something. Even though he's been upfront about what the show is and isn't.

It's basically what people wish they'd done while watching Lost, but didn't.

Pedro De Heredia fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Aug 6, 2014

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
Episode 1.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
I don't really think Sons of Anarchy could have ever been a great, or even very good show. It doesn't really have any interesting ideas, and Kurt Sutter isn't a guy who really seems to get how to write well-developed characters. Or even interesting conflict. It could have been less insane and not as long and not as disgusting and have less stupid montages, but that's about it. I mean the whole problem is that once you remove all the horrible poo poo, there is not a lot there.

On a basic storytelling level, Sutter and his staff just don't know how to write interesting conflict. They can't just have two characters who are opposed to each other who both have good reasons to do what they do and where you can sort of understand why things are happening and why they are inevitable and so forth. And this has always been a problem. Even the 'good' season 2 starts with a Nazi raping the lead's character mom.

Pedro De Heredia fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Sep 10, 2014

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

IRQ posted:

The thing is that the thoughts everyone posted when the show first aired turned out to be true (it was purgatory).

That's not really true.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Fooz posted:

Lena Dunham at first makes me want to applaud a (comparatively) unattractive person for having success in hollywood, but then I remember that she's a middling talent who surfed a gnarly nepotism wave.

I am sure HBO execs were just dying to be in the good graces of her photographer mother.

Pedro De Heredia fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Sep 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Fooz posted:

Thought she had a bigshot dad, guess I was wrong.

Her dad's a "famous" painter. I mean, she does come from a somewhat priviledged position.

Pedro De Heredia fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Sep 30, 2014

• Locked thread