Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Junpei Hyde posted:

Except for Reyn.

That would have made it rather... Heavy Reyn. :cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

EmmyOk posted:

Playing the first Dead Space game for the first time in a year or two and I forgot how great it is. The best thing about it though is that there are no cutscenes, everything happens in game. I know it's not the first game to do this, but it's a rare enough thing these days. I wish more games did it.

Not sure if that counts as something small, so more in the spirit of the thread is the objective marker. When you press R3 Isaac holds out his hand and a glowing blue line shows where you should be going. It's a neat little feature that helps you navigate without being in your face. It's also good when you have an area with multiple doors and you want to see which are the 'extra' areas, so you can explore them first before continuing on with your objective.

At least in the later two it will also show you the nearest armor station, workbench, and save point. Usually all three are in one place, but it's still nice anyway.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

RagnarokAngel posted:

Naw not that part, the fact that you can put human "health" on a single spectrum from "Fit as a fiddle" to "dead as a doornail". It's a gameplay convention it just gets kinda funny when you're justifying it as an in-universe thing.

Exactly. If I come into work with a cold or a bad hangover does my RIG show one health bar gone? Or if I have cancer, does it turn a different color?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Praetorian Mage posted:

Because male genital mutilation and the anguish it causes are loving hilarious, right guys?

Don't do this. It won't end well for you.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Arx Monolith posted:

He jumps what.. 12 feet in the air to grab the side of a flat clifface? Dude's a superhuman.

Well, yes, he is literally half ghost-elf.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

CJacobs posted:

The main complaint about the nemesis system is how videogamey it is, because it follows the trend of you very obviously killing a dude stone cold dead, but then they come back anyway because they're your rival or something. I had that complaint initially but the game at least tries to be like "yeah but there are only a few ways you can perma-kill orcs" and all you can do is shrug and go fine whatever.

If you can get past that, it's a really good game! It's just that... some people can't.

I'm having the opposite problem. It seems that no matter what I do Talion can't help but decapitate an Uruk. And those that don't die this way never seem to do well enough on the RNG to come back.

I want my cool Nemesis stories too, damnit!

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

FredMSloniker posted:

Well, yes, as I said, I get that. But the paragraph is 'don't help your enemy; instead, turn the other cheek.' Which implies that 'turn the other cheek' is a bad thing. But I don't understand how it could be. It's like they said 'don't help your enemy; instead, a stitch in time saves nine'. How do you interpret 'turn the other cheek' as 'hurt your enemy'?

Turn around and show your other (rear end) cheeks. As in moon your enemies. Ok maybe not that specific but still.

Other as in other kind, not as in the face cheek you haven't shown.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Illuyankas posted:

I have played about half an hour of Borderlands the Pre-Sequel and the mere fact you get your action skill at level 3 instead of 5 is already a godsend. Also I will be the only one of my friends playing Claptrap and I don't care who knows it.

I still don't understand why you don't get it at the start, but I'll agree that level 3 is definitely a million times better than level 5.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

graybook posted:

I started a group playthrough with two others tonight.

Our original plan was to have a group of 4 so that all characters would be played, but... then we decided to do a Claptrap-only group with just us three.

It's glorious, ridiculous chaos. One guy's doing the Boomtrap tree or whichever, I'm focusing on the middle one with all the "more benefits with friends" dealio, and our third is taking the right tree mostly which is going to be really tricky for her to play once she invests more points.

I hate to say it but I just looked at Claptrap's skill tree and he looks almost, guh, fun to play. I might have to restart with him since I'm almost done. Or I assume I am, I'm about to storm Hyperion.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I know it's been mentioned before but holy poo poo did Shadow of Mordor get Parkour right. Moving up walls, over small pits, from walkway to walkway, all of it feels natural and fun. In Batman and especially Assassin's Creed climbing a vertical surface always felt like an immense chore. There was a very real disconnect where the character would be running towards the wall, then stop, then jump towards the nearest handhold. Then pause again, then climb. Pause and climb, pause and climb. Then at the top I hoist myself onto the roof or whatever, pause, and continue running.

But in SoM the Ranger moves smoothly and quickly up surfaces and mantles to the top very quickly and immediately moves back into a full sprint. Walls no longer feel like an obstacle but an alternate path. I can choose to rush through the area and duck into an alleyway and bushes, or move up a wall and hide against the side of a building just as easily. And what's more is that the orcs and Uruks don't climb as easily as I do, unlike AssCreed, so it's now a viable strategy!

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Samfucius posted:

When I was a kid, one of the first games I got for my GBA was Castlevania: Circle of the Moon, and drat did I get hooked. Being a kid I pretty much cheesed the whole game. I still remember sitting in the entrance to the double-headed dragon's boss room and throwing axes until it died. Just because of that I think I never switched my subweapon for the rest of the game. That really started a lifelong love of the Castlevania games, and Portrait of Ruin remains one of my favorite games ever.

Anyways, I recently picked up Symphony of the Night for a few dollars (I never had any playstation systems until two years ago) and dammit I get why people love this game. Just beat it and it ruled. Anyways my favorite little thing is the bat familiar you get. In the game you can shapeshift (after finding items) into a wolf, a bat, and mist. If you have the bat familiar and shape shift into a bat yourself, your little buddy comes flying over and a heart appears above his head. When you turn back into Alucard, he makes a little squeak and a question mark appears. It actually made me feel a bit bad. Poor little guy.

I read that if you level the bat familiar up enough, more bats will appear when you transform. Do they all get the hearts and question marks too?

I also loved that if a room is too tedious, you can turn into mist and nothing can touch you, so you just get to waft over all these confused monsters attacking nothing.

I dunno if they all love you, but the extra bats will shoot fireballs when you do when transformed into a bat, just like the options from Gradius!

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Tracula posted:

Take a shot anything scraps along his chin.

During the Jetstream Sam DLC there is at least one instance, maybe two, where Sam only just barely misses having his chin scraped in the exact same way! :haw:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Yeah, Raiden doesn't look like that all the time, and even mentions that he doesn't like using his combat body for anything other than combat because he gets very self-conscious when civilians start to stare. I imaging he even has a "home life" body that isn't much stronger than a peak-condition human body and has ultra high quality synthetic skin so he can look more normal. The body he has in the prologue and epilogue is a go between that allows him to pass as normal to anyone not standing next to him while still being able to take out a RAY.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Jerusalem posted:

SWOLE Dick Cheney :allears:

NANOMACHINES, SON! :ocelot:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

I played my Bigby as being very kind and understanding as possible but you better believe I glassed Woody. Then I felt bad for him because although he's an rear end in a top hat he's not in actuality a bad person. Sorry, Woody. :smith:

That does remind me of something annoying about interactive narratives like Wolf Among Us or The Walking Dead. My Bigby went out of his way to help as many people as he could, but that was never even acknowledged in the game after any particular scene ends. Everyone still acts as if you're a huge rear end in a top hat all the time. I know they can't account for every possible combination of responses but having a running tally of how many "nice" or "mean" responses you've made and changing a half dozen lines or so to reflect that isn't a monumental task.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Screaming Idiot posted:

Oh, good thing I read this. I was tempted to pick it up sometime, but now I know not to. Thanks!

It's only the same setting, little, if any,
of the plot and characterization is the same.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Arx Monolith posted:

Whoa whoa whoa. Wasn't Joker gay??

The AI controls the ship that Joker pilots, meaning that Joker is loving the ship itself. Which makes him shipsexual.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

We won't even get into what happens in 2 - "NOT Enchantment!" probably makes the kid more frightening than the prior "Enchantment!" jokes.

I was really hoping that plot point was going to go anywhere other than nowhere but, whelp

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Gamma Nerd posted:

This was mentioned in the current LP of the Digital Devil Saga series. In the first game, there's a superboss battle with the main character from Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne. He's equipped with some fairly strong skill and demon allies he'd have in that game, and is notoriously difficult. The game acts as though he has the Masakados item equipped, which will block all physical and elemental attacks against him. However, he can still be hit with earth and gun attacks, because those didn't exist in the game he game from.

The random battle theme from Nocturne also plays during the fight, to show that to his eyes, you're just a random encounter. He accordingly holds back, not blowing his resources, and will only use mid-power skills on your party (those still hurt a fuckton). If you do anything to aggravate him, like nulling an element, he'll do what a Nocturne player would do, and whip out a panic button skill that annihilates you.

Speaking of Nocturne and cameos from other games, Dante from DMC appears in Nocturne. He features in the story and is even recruitable. He cannot be fused because he isn't actually the same kind of demon as all the rest and his moveset is unique and based on his abilities in his own game, including the ability to survive any attack with 1 HP remaining (technically he auto-revives). And one of his best moves from DMC, Stinger, deals great damage and can even insta-kill. Awesome.

In return for featuring Dante in SMT, Kazuma Kaneko did the designs for the Devil Triggers in DMC3 and they are gorgeous.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
One of Demi-Fiend's summoned demons will heal him back to full health when he falls below 50%, but it'll only ever happen once.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I've never really noticed Raiden having a lisp, myself. :shrug:

-EDIT-

I've never understood why people thought he was whiny or annoying in MGS2, either. All that came from the other people who rambled incessantly to him in codecs. Compared to everyone else Raiden doesn't say much besides generic player character questions outside of a few Rose calls. That I remember, anyway.

Who What Now has a new favorite as of 16:33 on Dec 29, 2014

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Alouicious posted:

COLONEL, WE MANAGED TO AVOID DROWNING!

Quinton Flynn has a pretty noticeable lisp in all of his performances, not just when playing Raiden.

I guess he holds his 'S's a little long? Idk, I still don't hear it. But my hearing is pretty bad so I don't doubt he does have a lisp.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Screaming Idiot posted:

Not sure if anything in-game supports this theory, but I always thought of Ripper Mode as him activating his pain receptors.

Also, another thing I like about MGR:R is Raiden's laugh when you go into Ripper mode. He sounds so happy! :3:

That was my interpretation too, that normally he's pulling his punches a little bit and is more conscious about his actions but activating Ripper mode is him dehumanizing himself and facing the bloodshed by going all out and pushing his cyborg body into overdrive, which is why it consumes battery. It's increasing his strength and force of his cuts rather than his speed and perception like Zandatsu mode.

-EDIT-

Edmond Dantes posted:

I think they missed out on something in MGR with the whole Jack The Ripper thing: if they had kept the white blood from MGS4 for the whole game but turned it red when ripper mode was active, that would have been awesome.

They intended to do something like this, actually! Cyborgs were supposed to keep their white blood, including Raiden. There was going to be a big reveal when you defeat Jetstream Sam that he bleeds actual red blood, showing that he was never a real cyborg except for his right arm and was otherwise just a badass in an exosuit.

But for whatever reason they didn't think it looked right without red blood, so they changed it and dog-shapes robot buddy just mentions that Sam wasn't a crazy cyborg.

Did any of that need to be spoilered? It's not even/just over a year old so I tried to be on the safe side.

-EDIT2-

VVVVV
Damnit! Beat me to it.

Who What Now has a new favorite as of 21:47 on Dec 29, 2014

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Dr Christmas posted:

I can't decide if Revengeance's completely robotic enemies bleeding red is a sign of sloppiness or if it makes the game better.

They use the same semi-organic muscle fiber bundles that the cyborgs do which necessitate the use of the artificial blood.
:goonsay:

Alternatively it's hydraulic fluid.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
The blood thing is pretty dumb. But something that I thought was cool is that Sam never seems terribly interested in Desperado's goals and only really gets excited when there's a prospect to fight someone interesting like Raiden. In his DLC you find out that this is because Sam was only very recently hired, and had intended to kill everyone in it, but was convinced/threatened/blackmailed into joining after Armstrong destroys his arm and shoulder.

Plus, the motorcycle that Raiden steals to leave Chicago is Sam's.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Tracula posted:

Playing as Qunari is pretty great in Inquisition because everyone is suspicious of you and basically rolls their eyes initially when they learn you're the Herald.

Also it's funny to be a full head and shoulders over everyone who isn't Iron Bull.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

dpbjinc posted:

To be fair, the other bounty hunters in Prime 3 weren't that much brighter. They managed to get themselves corrupted, which you avoid by firing your weapons, which is probably what they should have been doing anyway.

I thought that was a feature of the PED and the Pirates had no way to bleed excess phazon

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

dpbjinc posted:

I thought all the bounty hunters/space marines had the PED.

Right, hunters and space marines (although I think only specific PED troopers had it) but not pirates.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Less Fat Luke posted:

Only if you get killed! :)

Nope, you start as a corpse in both.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

theironjef posted:

That was in FFVI. I don't know that it was fun exactly, but the Paladin Shield was pretty awesome once you finally ground it out.

That was the Cursed Shield, which transformed into the Paladin's Shield after X battles were won with it equipped.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
The only problem with the shanties is that I can't put "What Do You Do With a Drunken Sailor" on infinite repeat.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

EmmyOk posted:

Speaking of MGS3 I love that Ocelot summons his soldiers by meowing loudly, and later he even does "easy tiger" mime paws

Anyone who doesn't love Ocelot and his weird as hell gimmicks are dead inside. But nothing beats (spoilers for the very end of the game): Ocelot and Snake fighting in the plane as it tries to take off. Throughout the whole game Snake has absolutely trounced Ocelot, but each time Ocelot does a little bit better, perfectly mirroring Snake's interactions with the Boss. So naturally their final fight has them on almost even footing, with Snake only having a slight advantage. During the fight Ocelot sees an opportunity to take a jab and blind Snake... In his already blind eye. So he thumps Snake's eyepatch and they both stop to have a laugh about it when they realize what happened. :kimchi:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

grittyreboot posted:

I've been replaying Mass Effect 2 and I love all the little blurbs for the planets. One of them talks about the legend of an ancient pirate that hid massive amounts of element zero. It says no one had ever actually found any element zero on the planet, and when you scan it there isn't any. But the next planet over is loaded with the stuff.

For all of its other failings of Mass Effect (and Bioware in general) a lack of little details isn't one of them.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Little Blue Couch posted:

Also you can get the prototype of the stealth suit that Solid Snake wears in the later games. It's the best camo in the game bar none but it looks goofy as poo poo.

It's not that goofy

The worst I can say is that outside of sneaking in the dark it probably wouldn't be the most fantastic camo ever since it doesn't do much to obscure the human form (which our brain is super good at spotting and why ghillie suits are so effective) but apparently it helps dampen sounds made while moving... somehow. Also you can't see it in the pic I provided but I swear there is a weird cord that goes across both shoulders but hovers around a full two inches above them. Hm. But in any case it's not nearly as goofy as the Boss' sneaking suit:

That's not a sneaking suit, that's a wearable space blanket. :colbert:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

He does that even if his camouflage is solid black, the soviet flag on one side and the american flag on the back, or covered in ducks.

The tactical fanny pack is honestly the least goofy thing he's ever worn.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Chard posted:

I'm watching a Deadly Premonition LP, my first exposure to the game. This has been stuck in my head for days

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OUP_Z3iZPs

I've had nights that felt a lot like this

When you play this game the first time you hear this song it will be about ten times louder than the dialog as York talks to Polly for the first time. This is not an error. On a repeat viewing through this LP I got what the scene was going for and realized it was brilliant.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

FredMSloniker posted:

Is it a Twin Peaks reference? I never watched that. (I did watch the LP, though, which in a roundabout way got me to buy Euro Truck Simulator 2.)

Minor Spoiler: Polly either is or acts like she is deaf throughout the whole game. And ever scene with her (that I remember, and I could be wrong) has the background music cranked way up, so it's hard to hear the dialog. So it's hard for you to understand what York is saying, just like it is for her.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

TontoCorazon posted:

Let's put aside everything to say how loving good a game Riddick was. The stealth in that game was like ten years ahead of its time.

And yet it still had a double-whammy of bad in the combination sewer level and zombie horde level.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I've restarted Assassin's Creed 3 because even though I bought it on its release I never beat it, so I figure best to start from scratch. But one little thing I noticed happens during the prologue chapters. Specifically: Haythem can't move through trees, because he neither grew up with them nor had an opportunity to train with running through them during his youth. Even if you do manage to jump into a tree Hathem will jump down back to the ground.

Its a nice subtle touch that seems obvious when you chase Conner's mom, but it only shows itself if you try to jump into a tree yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

RareAcumen posted:

Assassin's Creed 2, Brotherhood and Revelatoins have base areas with all the weapons and armor you've bought that you can swap out whenever you want.

3 has the exact same thing. Not sure about 4, Unity, Liberation, or Rogue.