Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

lenoon posted:

When does this happen? I must have completely missed it.

I think that depends on which person you choose to save early on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

oldpainless posted:

Im playing Assassins Creed 3 and there's one part near the beginning where you are learning how to hunt. The game gives you bait and you are supposed to creep through some grass, drop the bait and sneak up on a deer while its eating. After failing to somehow lure this deer without being seen like 5 times, I just ran up full speed to the deer keeping a tree between us so it didn't see me until the last second and just killed it in the most un-assassin-like way possible.

That will be how most of your hunting kills will be obtained, running through woods and unexpectedly finding yourself next to stabbable wildlife. I think what they want you to do in that sequence is drop the bait under a tree limb, climb the tree and then death from above bambi, I'm not sure you can even really sneak up on deer in the open in any meaningful way.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Luisfe posted:

I really like in Shadow of Mordor that as long as you don't decapitate, the orcs have a chance of coming back again and again. Have killed a particular captain (that ascended to warchief after destroying the first 5 in Udun) that I killed like 7 times, turning his head into mush and being held by a burlap bag and rope. It is great.

Dude cycled from cool headgear (a skull helmet thing), a spiky thing covering a missing eye, to that. Fantastic. Edit: Gonna see if I can brand that particular bastard later on. Can you even brand warchiefs? I know there is an option to brand captains. I'll check that out later.

I really hope that other games ape from the Nemesis system used in Mordor. It is amazing.

You can absolutely brand warchiefs. Can be a bit of a pain in the tonsils to do it without being interrupted unless you have the combat brand ability because they are often accompanied by so many followers, but you can totally do it.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Who What Now posted:

I'm having the opposite problem. It seems that no matter what I do Talion can't help but decapitate an Uruk. And those that don't die this way never seem to do well enough on the RNG to come back.

I want my cool Nemesis stories too, damnit!

If you want to kill them without decapitating them, explosions and throwing them off ledges are your friends! I tend to find that if I use a combat execution then head comes off, most other deaths head stays on.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

People complaining about a video game being "gamey" will never cease to confuse me. Yes it is, thats why I'm playing a video game because I'm in the mood to play a game, which will be by definition gamey. Make it gamey as gently caress, that is literally why I'm playing a game. When I read a book I dont complain that its too "Booky", I've never walked out a movie because it was too movie-y.

Croccers posted:

Throwing them of ledges is hilarious because they don't even tumble or squirm or anything. Just float down to the ground in a slightly off-skew T-pose.

Orcs firmly believe that if you dont move, gravity cant see you and wont hurt you.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

mng posted:

I've never played any of the AssCreed games, what would you/others suggest? I'm 42 hours into SoM and it's still just so much fun. It's the little things.

Depends how far back you want to go; AssCreed 1 is definately skippable. Theres a kernal of a good game there but its repetitive as poo poo. AssCreed 2 is generally accepted to be an improvement in pretty much every area. It spawned its own trilogy (Asscreed 2, asscreed brotherhood and Asscreed Revelations). A lot of people reckon Brotherhood is the high point of the series, though how much of a dip it takes for revelations is a matter of debate. Soome people hated it, I thought it was good just not as good as Brotherhood personally.

Assassins Creed 3 is the drizzling shits for a variety of reasons. Assassins Creed IV is a pretty good pirate game, but is the least like SoM because of the increased emphasis on ship combat. To be honest it was probably for the best because even as someone who would generally say I liked the series the central gameplay by the time you get to IV would be charitably described as "tired".

So, if you are willing to go back to last gen stuff and want to play assassins creed, I'd recommend skipping 1 and starting with 2, then brotherhood and then revelations if you like the main character of 2 enough to get a coda on his story. 3 is skippable, 4 is good but more of a pirate game for a large amount of its runtime. 4 is also the only one thats on next gen consoles if thats your thing. New one is due shortly which promises to improve the combat and parkour. I'll play it eventually but Im waiting on reviews because "We've improved the parkour and combat" is something they have promised with literally every AC game since 2 and its never been what you would call completely true.

Just so you are aware, the stealth, assassination and parkour elements of SoM are very similar to thhe AC games, the combat in AC is not nearly as good as Arkham, so isnt as good as SoM. A lot of the time the most efficient way to win fights in AssCreed is to switch to your hidden blde or bare hands and block then counter enemies and then do a streak of assassination kills. Not massively engaging, but I like messing around with the extra ways of killing people, smoke bombs and frenzy poisons and rope darts and so on.

SiKboy has a new favorite as of 21:52 on Oct 18, 2014

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Smelly posted:

That sounds like so much fun but I've heard terrible things about W_D.

Also no one ever seems to play that kinda stuff the way it's supposed to be played. Which ruined the mp for Assassin's Creed for me. Everyone would just run around on the drat rooftops spamming their wrist gun.

That wasnt my experience at all. AC multiplayer was one of the few multiplayer modes which caught my interest for more than a week or two, played on and off from I think Brotherhood, definately played some IV and black flag. There were a bunch of different modes, but in most of them (depending which AC game we are talking about) running around rooftops spamming the wrist gun was a good way of scoring no points whatsoever. If you ran on the rooftops you were high profile and showed on everyones radar. If they were blending you would have no idea who you should target with your ranged weapon (which had a lengthy cooldown and wouldnt always kill in one hit even if you targeted a player rather than an NPC). The main mode I tended to play you had one specific target, and another player had you as their target, the only way of scoring points was to kill your target and evade your pursuer, so running along the rooftops would be completelly counterproductive because if you were high profile your pursuer could spot you easily and your prey would see who to avoid. Capture the artifact (Flag) type modes you could get away with just running like gently caress sometimes, but I got a lot of milage out of blending near my teams artifact (preferably using a disuise ability) and stealth assassinating anyone who sprinted near me.

There was a bunch of stuff that annoyed me about it too; The unlock system was obviously designed so that you would just use microtransactions to unlock some abilities early because you earned unlock points ridiculously slowly, the mimic ability you got early should technically have been good for previewing higher level abilities but as you just got a logo with a button prompt you would often have no idea what the hell the ability you just copied was or when it should be used, a lot of the abilities flat out sucked, some of the maps werent that great and so on. I couldnt give less of a gently caress about playing AC co-op (I only have about half a dozen friends with a PS4 at this point and not all of them like AC, and I cant imaging playingg with randoms being a great experience), and for once a game NOT having a competative multiplayer mode is a strike against it for me.

SiKboy has a new favorite as of 14:31 on Oct 20, 2014

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Jehde posted:

Yeah I should just stop reading what used to be my favourite thread because it was derailed and welp I guess that's how it goes. Perfect solution. :jerkbag:

What kind of injury exactly was it that crippled your scrolling finger but left your typing fingers intact?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Jehde posted:

Far Cry 4 is full of stuff for this thread but a recent discovery is so little and so appreciated. Once you get your first home, the Ghale homestead, it comes with a complementary pipe. If you use the pipe it teleports you to a random location and leaves you in a drug haze. Since I've beat the game and kinda run out of things to do, this pipe is perfect for when I wanna load up the game and just muck about in the wild.

I thought that pipe was the reward for finishing the Yogi quests? Or at least it looks like the one they give you and I never noticed it in the homestead until after I completed their questlines. Either way it is still a fun little thing. I've only used it 3 times and each time its dropped me in a previously undiscovered location. I dont know if it always does that if there is one you havent discovered or I've just been lucky 3 times on the RNG.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Bhodi posted:

Hmm yes let's take a look at my recently played and see if games are indeed nothing but zombie survival

Kairo: You're alone in a multi-universe / alien spaceship / alien landscape trying to jumpstart a city-sized machine while discovering what happened to the previous soul occupant
Dark Souls 2: A story that is almost exclusively told through item descriptions
Valkyria Chronicles: It's an anime-colored game with a weird high-school lovestory set to a not-world-war-2-invasion in the form of tactical combat
Payday 2: Tactical FPS where you rob banks in places attached to the plane of elemental cops
The Room: Your friend shipped you a huge box before he disappeared mysteriously, and you have to puzzle out it's mysteries to discover what happened to him
Kerbal Space Program: Cobble together a rocket made from parts found lying on the side of the road and get yourself to the mun! Orbital mechanics trainer disguised as a kid's game
NEO Scavenger: You crawl out of a cryo-pod into a turn-based post-apocalyptic wasteland, having to survive while trying to discover how you got in the cyro-pod in the first place
Transistor: Your boyfriend saves your life and is killed and then accidentally transferred into a sentient blade. Find out why they were targeting you in the first place while absorbing more folks.
Spintires: So Russia it hurts. Navigate a russian bog to pick up and then deliver lumber so you can extend your miserable existence for another day. With friends because depression loves company.

Indeed not only are these games all zombie related but they are all very similar because the games landscape today is entirely one-dimensional.

In how many of those are you told that your father is dying and you need medicine from far away? Because if the answer isnt "a shittonne of them" then havent you disproved your point as much as his? Because his point of "wow there sure are a lot of games about zombies", while not exactly an original observation, seems a) fairly uncontroversial and b) a really really odd thing to get so worked up about.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Tiggum posted:

The main impact is really how much of the story seems confusing or unfinished, eg. everything to do with Angel, Shaundi's sudden personality change, the fact that it can be really hard to tell that Gat is even supposed to be dead; Until I finished the game I was expecting him to show up again at some point and go "Not dead guys!"

How obvious it is that Gat is dead depends on which voice you picked for your main character I think, because they all have different lines. I played through the game twice, once with a female boss, once with a male boss, and there is a particular cutscene on the bridge where I didnt realise they were supposed to be coming back from Gats funeral until my second playthrough because the voice I was using the first time round only refers to it very obliquely, so during my first playthrough I was still assuming he was "missing, assumed dead but probably not", whereas my other playthrough the boss directly says something like "Johnnys dead and it loving sucks" in that same scene.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

My Lovely Horse posted:

Also on what choice you made in the mission right before that scene.

That would also explain it, because when I went back through it with a male boss I made all the opposite choices than from my first playthrough.

Tiggum posted:

SR2 was amazing about it. Not only were activities totally separate from story missions, but every mission had a cutscene at the start and end, each activity had two locations with six levels of difficulty, and each location had its own cutscene, plus there were strongholds which were basically short missions that consisted of "go to this place and kill these dudes" rather than having any other objectives or timers or travel or whatever, and each of those had a cutscene as well. Saints Row 2 was a really good game.

I do agree with you, with 3 caveats; 1) The fight club on the prison was a pain in the tonsils to get to, and there was no other reason to go back to the prison island in free roam 2) the rewards were really uneven. Some of them had great rewards, whereas others had "-5% notoriety with gang X", which isnt good even if you havent already wiped that gang off the map entirely, and 3) The main missions were locked behind "Respect" levels, and you leveled up respect by doing side content. I never had a problem with it because I loved the side content (and it the side missions were fairly generous about doling it out too) but a friend of mine just wanted to blast through the story as fast as possible and got frustrated with it, so thats not for everyone. Personally I barely noticed because I was spent so long messing about with activities that by the time I was halfway through the story I had enough respect to do the rest of the missions in a row if I wanted.

Edit: Honestly if the prison fight club was replaced with a fight club in the shopping mall it would relieve pretty much my only gripes with SR2, it would mean that you wouldnt have to go back out to the prison and find your way through the buildings, and it would flag the mall on your map as being something so you could find it on your firt playthrough easier/earlier.

SiKboy has a new favorite as of 13:55 on Jan 25, 2015

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Oh man I never thought of this. Gordon's had a hard life. :smith:

Well, not so much a hard life as a bad week.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

WickedHate posted:

I don't think it's too different from like, that one DC moba that came and went super fast, where Batman and the Joker could be fighting Superman or something. Overwatch is basically a mix up of Street Fighter, GI Joe, and a superhero universe.

Someone (I think on these forums, but I dont remember) suggested that Overwatch is in fact the futures version of WWE wrestling. It explains the characters over the top gimmicks and costumes, how they all come back from being killed in a match, and why they are all fighting each other/teaming up with storyline enemies without any particular rhyme or reason.

Personally I dont need my multiplayer games to have a coherent story (That way lies madness) but if you do, there you go.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Joey Freshwater posted:

Which Half Life (or was it even Half Life?) that had you walking through an area early in the game and a guard tells you to pick up a can and put it in the trash. You get an achievement for chucking it at his face.

HL2

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Cleretic posted:

Saints Row isn't dead, they're just not making one literally right now.

...they're making a psuedo-spinoff set in an alternate universe.

Apparently its not an alternate universe exactly; The canon ending of Gat out of Hell is the one where the earth was recreated, and this is that earth.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I've probably spent more time changing clothes on SR2 characters than I have actually playing the last 2 GTA games combined. I liked SR 3 and 4 well enough, but SR2 was extremely my poo poo.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

RBA Starblade posted:

Monster Rancher must have sucked if you didn't own many cds, wow. I've never heard of anyone playing those. Did anyone ever do a LP or something?

I'm not sure if a record turntable would hook up to the console, that just sounds impractical.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Tumble posted:

maybe, they showed it off at E3 this year and there was no destruction at all. rumor has it that the building destruction will be multiplayer only, but if they didn't show ANY of it off this year it may be very neutered compared to this video.

Not just a rumor, confirmed by the developer (who is going with "oh, you thought that was going to be in the whole game? Silly rabbit, that was ALWAYS going to be multiplayer only. How did you not know that?") Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-06-19-clearing-up-confusion-surrounding-crackdown-3-destruction

I'd also bet on it being scaled back from the video personally, just based on the fact that its a videogame hype video from a long time before the game will be released, but I have no dog in this fight; I didnt really like Crackdown that much and never finished it.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

One of the things about the Mad Max game that differentiated it from arkham is Max' comparative lack of mobility; Occasionally when playing Arkham games the game would misinterpret my input slightly and Batman would vault over the guy I wanted to hit and punch a goon I hadnt even seen because they were off screen. Max never does that, he pretty much just hits the guys he can reach, feels much more grounded.

My favourite little things in Mad Max;

When you jump from a ledge that is slightly too high, max limps and favors his bad leg for a time afterwards. I like they remembered he isnt wearing the leg brace for decoration.

And the one that is often brought up but always bears repeating, when you are in a fight clearing an area and you leave the War Crier alive til last, they have a fair amount of pretty funny unique lines.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Eh, on a basic level gently caress them for being greedy fucks. Double gently caress them for doing in it in a way that absolutely targets people with addictive personalities who can get hooked on their skinner box bullshit. I'm not one of those people, but that doesnt make it okay. Triple gently caress them for adding that odious bullshit into the sequel of a game that didnt have any of it. I liked Shadow of Mordor and was considering preordering Shadow of War, but honestly, there are games I'm enjoying a lot that dont have that skeevy exploitative bullshit, that take my money up front and deliver a full, balanced game and that dont think that their game is worth spending money to skip actually playing. So I'll play those and then at some point down the road I'll maybe pick up shadow of war if I run out of other games to play. Preowned so they admittedly wont actually see any of my money, but thats my way of adding choice to the developers experience.

I'm actually fine with free to play bullshit, provided the game is free to play.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

flatluigi posted:

They need the additional revenue to support working on the post-release stuff people currently demand from most/all AAA games. We're really long past the times where it was acceptable for devs to release a game and then just move onto the next project. AAA game dev has also gotten so expensive that sometimes you can't even expect a game to recoup the cost it took to make it right away, let alone get into the black and then make enough to cover the cost of post-release content.

Does anyone really think Shadow of Mordor lost money? That WB decided to make a sequel to a game that lost money, knowing that that game will ALSO lose money unless a bunch of people with no impulse control throw money into the virtual fruit machine they included with the sequel? Or is it in fact possible that a AAA game with no microtransactions/blind box gambling can in fact make money?

Frankly if someone runs a company making a product and they cant make money selling that product because their production costs are too high, I'd tell them to get the gently caress out of that business because they are **loving bad at it**.
I'm not arguing that AAA budgets (and sales expectations) arent out of control in some cases. But the solution to that is get their budgets under control (and accept that a game making money is good, most games arent going to do COD numbers no matter how hard squenix wishes. Hell, I think we are heading towards a time where even COD no longer does COD numbers) not to nickel and dime players with blind box bullshit. Huge amounts of money are being spent for incremental improvements in graphical quality and its not making the games better. That story about Kazima getting a hugely detailed ingame model of how ice melts so that some icecubes can melt realistically is, dont get me wrong, hilarious, but its also an example of poo poo that doesnt need to be in the budget in a AAA game.

Seems to me that its not people demanding post release content (certainly not for single player games, one of my games of the year have been yakuza 0 which has no microtransactions, DLC (paid or otherwise), I dont think theres been any for neir automata although I stand ready to be corrected on that as I've only played the first 10 minutes, did Uncharted 4 have any post release content? And thats literally 3 of the 4 nearest games on my shelf. Not mentioning Yakuza Kiwami because its a remake of a PS3 game so its kind of cheating.) its that its a piss easy way for publishers to get more money from fans for less effort that making a new game.

Unless you mean "multiplayer AAA game" specifically in which case sure, people like their map packs and whatnot. I'm not a fan of the blind box gambling loot in games where you can buy the boxes with real money (I'm not sure if that comes across, but I'm really not), but I can more understand it in your Overwatch (decent rate of free boxes, cosmetics only, can buy any of the skins with in-game currency, profits generated are used to provide essentially free DLC, map packs, characters) than in your shadow of war. I'm still not a big fan of them in Overwatch (they still have the potential of hooking in people who cant really afford to spend the money they end up spending, special event costumes cant usually be bought and when I was playing OW the rate of currency you got for a duplicate item was hilariously inadequate. I mean, the fact the system gives you dupes at all is pretty much bullshit when you think about it), I just find them more understandable and less frankly money grubbing.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Okay, Wolfenstein: The New Colossus has only been out for a few days, so I'mma put this in spoilers, but its some character interactions from maybe about 6 hours in, so its not anything important. Okay, so very early on, the daughter of the main villain in the game saves your life and defects to your side. Shes a heavy-set young woman who has been relentlessly bullied and humiliated by her mother over her weight, personality and lack of proper nazi-ness for her whole life. Has an accent a little like the german kid off've the simpsons. Between the interactions you see, the diary entries etc you can find, and the things you overhear her saying in her interactions with other characters I found myself feeling quite sympathetic towards her; She didnt choose to be the daughter of a genocidal murdering nazi, right? And at least one other character in the game is also shown to be the child of a terrible parent and we dont hold it against against them.

Anyway a couple of missions later you join up with another resistance group made up mainly of african-americans. They are, understandably, wary of the white german woman who was brought up as a nazi. So she gets kicked out of a planning meeting, and wanders out dejected. A while later I'm wandering around the submarine which is your home base/mission hub, and I hear some of the NPCs chat about how she might have good intel, but they dont trust her. There are various little vignettes around the sub where you can overhear conversations but you usually cant actually contribute to them or anything, just wee character things. Continuing to wander and I go to the canteen, where 3 black resistance members are sitting playing dice. The german woman brings a plate of food over and sits next to them and says hello. They look at her, look at each other, get up and move to a different table as a group without a word, leaving her sitting alone.

Now, I'm a sensitive soul deep down, and I dont like hurting nice peoples feelings, even if those people and feelings are in fact virtual collections of ones and zeroes. I always have a hard time picking evil conversation choices in games, I find it easier to do an evil run by picking neutral options and murdering people. So I look at this and go "Oh, thats harsh..." then I notice that when I look at the german woman my cursor is a conversation bubble. So I hit it and BJ (the player character) sits down at the table opposite her while she talks to you for a bit about various things. You dont have any lines though, this isnt a picking conversation options kind of game. So after she says her piece all you can do is stand up and walk away. Except after you do the black freedom fighters the other table call over to her "Hey... How do you know him?" and she goes "Oh, I saved his life and helped him escape the <earlier mission details>". They think for a minute and invite her to her table to join their dice game.

Now, I'm undoubtedly going soft in my old age, but to me it was a nice moment.

Also, as a Scot, I appreciate Fergus, just in general. I was gonna be more specific, but nah, just Fergus in general. And rarely is a game quite so enthusiastic about the coming together of hatchets with nazis.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

1stGear posted:

One of the best is in Pillars of Eternity. In that game, you can pick various backgrounds that give you different dialogue options and flavor. But one of the least used is Philosopher (Nihilist). Until the end of the game when you discover the gods aren't real. The long-suffering Nihilist finally gets to shout "I KNEW IT".

gently caress me, I mean say what you want about the tenets of

MizPiz posted:

This is easily my favorite easter egg in a game:

Dude, but at least its an ethos.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Leavemywife posted:

At this point, he could start making poo poo up and I would never check to see if the games were real. I would just believe there was a PS2 platfomer where you played as a snake that grew legs and used breakdancing (snakedancing?) moves to ward off an interdimensional demon invasion to steal all of our jelly beans.

Honestly, at one point I thought he WAS doing that, but I googled it and there really WAS a cartoon based off the mummy returns which got a PS2 game.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I dont think I've ever hit a control so fast as when you get control back in that scene.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Mr. Flunchy posted:

For reference, here is Wolverine at low health:

This is why you should never skip skin day.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Leavemywife posted:

What's a good PS4 Yakuza game to start with? I've not played any of them.

I'd recommend Zero. Its a prequel, so chronologically its first, and while going Zero -> Kiwami means a step down in features as you go on, it seriously elevates the story of Kiwami if you have the background from Zero I think. There are a couple of places in Zero where someone turns up as an obvious cameo because they'll be important in a later game, but its never obnoxious and I never felt like I was missing anything (if I was curious I googled the character, went "okay, so they'll be the villain in yakuza 3 or whatever. Moving on".) And its not like Kiwami is unplayable after Zero or anything, theres is just slightly less to do in Kiwami. Get Zero first. If you dont like Zero, then the series is flat out not for you.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Well their posts were released in a timely manner and without glaring problems or obviously rushed sections, so I'd say signs point against them working for Obsidian.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Safeword posted:

World of Warcraft.

Then what happened?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Cleretic posted:

There's a mission in Saints Row 3 that has you being chased by pony carts being pulled by gimps (because, you know, it's Saints Row 3), and if you shoot them up then they explode like a car does, specifically because the devs thought it was funnier that way.

If I remember correctly they actually had intended to change it giving them a bespoke "pony cart destroyed" animation, but they put the models for the pony carts in with generic car physics to make sure it all worked before working on the details (such as the death animation for destroying them). Except the pony carts with the car explosions made everyone laugh too much so they kept it.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It's one of those times where the Mystery Science Theater 3000 mantra comes into play.

Nuebot posted:

One of the robots has a rotting corpse inside of it.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

boar guy posted:

im liking yakuza a lot- playing it for the first time on pc- but there sure are a lot of loving cutscenes

Thats fair. They are generally pretty good cutscenes, but there are a lot of them, particularly at the start of the game.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

boar guy posted:

i mean im in chapter 7 and im still watching more cutscenes than i am playing the game

I spent a lot of time on the claw machines (And other side activities too I guess), so maybe that just makes me think there was more game time between cut scenes than there is. Not that I minded to be fair, I dug the story.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

boar guy posted:

i keep waiting for the game to say 'okay, there's the open world, go play in it' but you get railroaded around quite a bit. it's good because the story is good but its not really an open world game like a GTA is

You've been able to walk away from the plot and do whatever since like... Chapter 2 I think? Maybe 3? When I first played it I was the same for the first couple of chapters, but I kept getting caught up in side stories on my way to story missions, and they'd take me to a place with an interesting looking activity and I'd get sidetracked, until I realised "Oh, just go and do whatever you feel like in the open world whenever you feel like". And for the GTA comparison, the way I think of it is that Yakuza is open world (you can go and look around and do side stuff pretty much whenever you like in any order you like) but GTA is an open world sandbox (where they expect you to spend a lot of time making your own fun with wanted ratings and stealing cars and so on). I prefer the small but dense open world like Yakuza to a giant open world like GTA where the map is huge but the actual game content is spread out with miles of nothing in particular in between.

If you havent got to the real estate tychoon stuff yet, when you do is as good a time as any to take a story break and do side stuff that seems fun/interesting.

Fake Edit: What lobok said.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Screaming Idiot posted:

Let It Die is a merciless moneypit of a game that I fully intend on dropping soon, but in the meantime it's free and charming and Uncle Death is adorable and funny.

I dont know how much its changed since I stopped playing it, but I honestly thought the first 30ish floors were excellent, then the merciless grind for black and red metals started in order to stand a chance. Its one of those free to play games where, if they took out the free to play mechanics and rebalanced it to compensate, I'd cheerfully have bought as an actual game. I did eventually make it to the last "proper" floor (they patched in a post game with higher floors at some point), but wanted to grind more metal for armour before attempting the final boss and just fell away from the game before ever getting enough metal.

As free to play games go, its actually a pretty decent one. I chucked them a couple of quid for death metals not because I needed them but because I figured I'd got enough play time out the game that the developers should get something out of me.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

So they want to harness Hell energy (tm) for like toasters and windmills and poo poo?

I feel like I need to point out; No, they didnt need hell energy for windmills.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I assume the rabid fans disassemble the binary and directly inspect the game resources every time there's a patch. Especially since he left a bunch of cute tidbits in the original game (that is, at launch) explicitly for people that do that kind of thing.

"Is that undertale? Do you always look at it encoded?"
"You get used to it. I dont even see the code. All I see is friendly skeleton, sapient flower, rare secret NPC..."

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Guy Mann posted:

Wolfenstein 2 is a game where a white woman slaps a black woman for being skeptical that she, a lifelong Nazi elite who only defected to their side in a moment of crisis to spite her mother and has largely been the butt of fat jokes and comically incompetent the entire game, might not be as dedicated to their cause as freedom fighters who have spent their entire lives under the yoke of oppression and this is depicted as a good and correct thing. I don't know how people who look at Mankind Divided's eurocentric take on refugees and immigration with an undercurrent of ableism and mental illness stigma and dismiss it as simple "robot racism" but cheer the game where a topless pregnant woman orgasming with two machine guns and then turning a willingly subjugated population into a violent uprising with a two-minute TED Talk is the climax of the game as some deep and very smart game that really says a lot about society if you think about it.

Some Planck temperature takes up in here.

Wolfenstein 2 is a game where a lifelong victim of abuse finally snaps back after being routinely degraded, mistrusted and despised by the people she gave up her entire life and family (abusive and lovely as they were, its still never easy to break free of an abusive family) to help, having proved her worth by literally saving all of their lives but finding that apparently isnt enough. and this is depicted as an interpersonal drama between two people, neither of which any reasonable viewer would consider to represent any kind of monolithic ideology whole and complete. It is a) Possible to be an ex-nazi who has renounced their former hateful ideology, both in real life (see: That tattoo artist who provides cover up for hateful tattoos to ex-nazis for free) and in the game (I think at least 2 of the resistance members in the first game) I dont remember the ex-nazis in the first game having to spend 90% of it proving their worth, and also b) it possible for a person to be subsumed by the authoritarian society that has overtaken their country without agreeing with it. Not every american is an immigrant child stealing trump supporter, not every person living under the soviet union was a die hard communist, not every resident of germany from 1939-1945 held nazi beliefs. Despite the "nazi pope" jokes, you know why Ratzinger never got any actual poo poo for being a for-real member of the hitler youth? Because he was a child and in that place at that time children werent given a lot of choice about that sort of thing. Someone whose parent was a literal member of Nazi high command would have even less choice, which ties in quite well to the games themes. When presented with a chance to break free and take an alternative path, she took it.

I remember the other spoilered scene, but I dont remember it involving an orgasm. It is possible thats just you. She does really like killing nazis, but thats been a feature of her character since the first game.

And "Willingly Subjugated"? I guess if you base your idea of the population of the US in Wolfenstein on the KKK members in that one level, sure. If you instead base your idea on a mixture of them and all the other individuals you see, hear and read about in the game then not so much. The "spark that lights the fire of revolution" trope is a loving well worn one, and if your complaint was its a little cliched then I'd agree. But its done well here, and if anything is going to spark an uprising then a reported dead revolutionary hero killing one of the highest ranking members of the occupying force live on television and suffering no repercussions would probably do it. Just because you've never persuaded anyone of anything doesnt mean its literally impossible.

I mean, I liked Wolf 2 pretty well, it wasnt as good as the new order, but was better than The Old Blood. Its not particularly deep, because its a video game and story is almost always going to come a distant second to gameplay. But it makes an effort and has a bunch of good stuff in it, which puts it easily in the top half of video game stories. I'd say it was good, but not quite as clever as it thought it was being at times, and the first half of the game drags on too long. And the courtroom scene, jesus gently caress what the hell they were thinking about with that difficulty spike I will never know. Second half of the game, and the personal story aspects with BJ pretty much all landed for me though. Ending was a little abrupt, I didnt realise the final boss fight was the final boss fight until after I completed it.

I'm not going to argue Mankind Divided one way or the other, because I played the first couple of missions and just drifted away from it, there was nothing there that hooked me in, and I'm someone who really liked the previous game. Maybe it gets better further in, but it felt like a real slow start and I had other stuff to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

If you havent already, y'all caberet club loving motherfuckers need to play Yakuza Kiwami 2. Shes still around, still cantankerous, still bawdy, and still wanting to play hostess to pass the time. Her funny/talk/party combo is still valuable as all gently caress

I would play the gently caress out of a mobile game that was just the cabaret club management minigame from Yakuza zero/kiwami 2.