Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Mans posted:

In the game Mount and Blade you can subvert the title and play as an archer or a spearman or a mounted dude without a blade. It's cool that they didn't force you to play as the game originally intended.

Likewise, you can play with a nation outside of Europe in Europa Universalis. It's those little details that makes Paradox such a great company.

Mount and Blade is one of the funnest sword fighting games because it lets you basically play as a medieval ubermensch supreme. I also love that the weapons aren't just reskinned versions of each other, a sword deals consistent damage no matter where you hit a dude with it (generally), as long as you have the velocity. Axes are good against shields and break them really really fast, and 2 handed mauls generally don't make you recoil with overhead hits.

Along the same lines, Space Marine was one of the best multiplayer experiences (even though it was unbalanced and had awful connectivity) because of the melee fighting. If you packed a chainsword, it was a way different play style than using a power axe or a lightning hammer. Like, vastly different. Most dudes played it like Gears of War or something but a few of us owned up to the "live fast die really really fast" play style of melee in that game, mostly because the jump pack was so loving fun to use.

I wish they'd make another one but make it have servers so that it would be playable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

When you're bored, summon a horde!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Croccers posted:

Saints Row with an upgraded Red Faction Guerrilla destruction engine.

Why do you have to do this to me.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Just got done playing World in Conflict again, the really nice details:

Zoom in close enough on a unit and it starts talking, NATO/Soviet units in their native language.

...god dammit bannon...

Colonel Sawyer diagrams get more and more simple until it's literally napkin cartons and ketchup

You can tell someone (Private Uris) is about to get shot because you can see a gleam off a sniper scope near a chimney.

ah if only they weren't stuck making far cry

That game was great because it really didn't make much sense but they KNEW why you were playing it. I probably wasted $5b worth of munitions blowing up $500,000 worth of soviet troops, and another $5b making sure that every single non-strategic asset in that game, including trees, were blown the gently caress up.

Scorched Earth, you soviet bastards.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Yeah no video game has ever handled co-op very well outside of the ones that ignore the issue of having multiple heroes saving the world. The original halo knew what's up, they didn't change poo poo for co-op.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

haveblue posted:

In Destiny, your character is accompanied by a ghost, a small flying robot that seemingly lives in your pocket and flies out to perform various tasks. When you open the menu your character takes out the ghost and holds it in front of him- but he doesn't if you open the menu while the ghost is elsewhere in the middle of doing something. The ghost's voice also changes when it's on duty; when it's in your pocket you hear his voice directly out of the speakers as though he's right where you are, but if he's out in the world his voice is directional and if you walk too far away it switches to radio. The ghost also produces your flashlight by hovering over your shoulder and shining a beam of light, but again, while he's away he can't do this and you temporarily don't have a flashlight.

I'll never understand why future-tech games don't have flashlights. In Halo 2, they made the super-advanced alien Arbiter guy not have a flashlight for some reason. Like, at what point did illumination not become a priority for arms manufacturers?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I mean, I always played the game with a "kill the bastards" approach so I didn't notice much difference. As I understand it, the endings are all such that the reapers, ultimately, lose. So, it's all very optimistic. Even the one where you give up, basically.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I mean, there are valid reasons to give Overwatch/Blizzard poo poo for their characterizations but I'll never understand criticizing Blizzard for using cartoonish and technically incorrect accents. Yeah, duh, that's part of their dumb "charm." There is no earthly reason to think that Roadhog shouldn't wear a shirt while actively engaged in a gunfight, either.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

In FFXIV, one of the main NPCs you deal with is a girl named Minfilia or something. Normally, she walks around with her midriff showing because, ya know, it's a Japanese MMO. A good portion of the story of the game involves you doing things in a snowy part of the world. In a lot of games, the character models are persistent no matter where the person is because (I assume) the devs are like "gently caress it." Well, when Minfilia is in the snowy part of the world, they put her in a thick-rear end coat with no skin showing. It makes sense that she wouldn't be half-naked in the snowy mountains, even if the player character can run around the mountaintops shirtless without a moment's hesitation.

The game's pretty great for acknowledging how stupidly powerful player characters are too. Like, sometimes they'll write a scenario and "ask" the character if they'll help kill a god or something and your avatar just shrugs and nods because, gently caress it, why not? We all know you're gonna do it and you can't say no, and you're essentially the most powerful person in the world. No reason to pretend otherwise or feign excitement.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Nuebot posted:

It's never directly stated but heavily implied in very unsubtle ways. The writer in charge of the latest expansion, Shadowbringers, is as far as I can tell, the only woman writer on their staff? And she's honestly the best on their team and it shows. There was a funny/depressing interview a few years back where she mentioned how she'd create female characters who didn't just exist to be eye candy and put a lot of effort into writing them (several side characters throughout the heavensward storyline, specifically) only for another writer to waltz in and kill them off a few weeks later. She wrote some of the best content in the game, best characters and then they gave her the lead writing position and shadow bringers had a good story people cared about.

This wasn't a "everyone else hates women" thing I believe. She was just a junior writer and couldn't 'protect' characters she made/liked. Since then she's got a lot more presence.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

oldpainless posted:

If you think something with tentacles from a Japanese company isn’t gonna be sexually depraved you haven’t been paying attention

This is the thing that people always forget. Like at this point in the history of the world, "tentacle" + "Japan" is gonna be some sort of sex meme, no matter what.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I like it when series leaves long-unanswered questions intentionally and not just, like forget to care enough. Maybe Max, like the Dread Pirate Roberts, is more of an idea of a wandering cowboy or whatever that is a mystical un-ending being (or lineage of knowledgable hyper-capable dudes). I bet, though, that the writers just wanted Max to act like an insert of the player itself and be able to point out that it's an airport buried beneath the sand and the gremlin is saying 'whats an airport' to reiterate that society is destroyed or whatever.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The Zombie Guy posted:

In every Mad Max, he starts with his beloved V8 Interceptor, and it ends up getting destroyed or stolen. Timelines are odd, but it seems to fit with the idea of storytelling mythology that revolves around the wandering unlikely hero. Like the fact of Max being a former police officer, even though it seems entire empires have rose and fell since war scorched the earth. It's almost like Max was plucked from the time stream right after the bombs dropped, and now he skips along the surface like a stone, landing in spots long after he should have been dead.

People generally fail to realize the substantial and far-reaching impact that the Western genre has on media. Many things we take for granted in media comes directly from American Western TV/movies (which themselves were concepts stolen from earlier works, like Arthurian tales). The silent protagonist, the self-insert, the mustache-twirling villain, a billion other aspects, all established by a massive genre our generations likely never really saw.

Mad Max is another iteration in a long, long chain of media franchises built around a hyper-capable morally grey (white) man who has a mostly unexplored background, finds himself the unwilling hero in a conflict that he wins for the good guys before leaving until the next episode/movie/video game where it happens again. Mad Max is a western. Arguably one of the best and purest westerns, but the characters and stories would mostly also be comfortably at home in the American Frontier.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The more you try to dig into the lore of Mad Max, the farther from the spirit of Mad Max you are headed. It's just "post-apocalyptic" but in chrome-y WordArt, all lower-case. Don't think, just drive!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

This is the best way of seeing Dwarf Fortress poo poo in action lol. Just esoteric ASCII graphics, a multi-layer menu system where petting a dog is in a submenu called Natural Ability, below “Butcher”.

God it’s perfect.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think that God of War leaned harder into the QTEs than any other franchise, and was a stupid popular single player game, so the market...

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I love that the black headcrabs in HL2 can’t kill you. They bring you to 1 and then you get the health back (all?). But I never learned that while playing it, I just thought i was lucking out or whatever. Learning about them later was what made me loving LOVE those bad boys. That and swatting one mid-jump with the crowbar.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I am playing Resident Evil 2: Remake (first time ever) and I really, really like that there aren’t respawning enemies so the entire game is basically one big puzzlebox.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Reminds me of mystical ninja starring goemon

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

My general assumption has been it's a triage meter. Doesn't say specifically say what's wrong, but it's enough for someoneto be able to tell who's stable, who's dead, and who needs medical care now.

This is what I thought too! It makes the most sense-- it's just a readout of how hosed this person is for a doctor. That's why everyone has one in a space ship-- it's a highly risky environment.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Kinda crazy how we all decided to adopt a different aspect ratio for every single screen in the entire world over a period of like 8 years

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I recall a lot of game guides with cheats in them that just didn’t work.

Did they ever work? Did they just make them up? Their response is probably “whatever, gently caress you, give me $10”

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Leal posted:

In Tactics Ogre units will have an alignment, it isn't good/evil but law/chaos, where the former is that you abide by society and the latter is about having personal freedom. There is a character who is law alignment in the first chapter, if you make a certain choice at the end she renounces serving under her duke and next time you see her, her alignment changes from law to neutral. Thought that was a neat touch.

What's most frustrating is that this character only veers away from being lawful if you go through with the lawful choices

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

CJacobs posted:

The Dead Space Remake is turning out to have such an utter passion for the original game that its developers brought back minor voice actors to record their audio logs again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKTY5zsxG6Y&t=654s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVQwqME-SK0&t=1033s

After more than a decade, that is just RE2make bringing back the VA for HUNK levels of impressive.

I’m extremely hyped for it. Dead space is one of the best games

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Inzombiac posted:

Yeah but that doesn't get at the WHY of it all.

Why are certain ones more rare? What is the specialized material or engineering that makes them so special?

If I can't get an answer I'll have to go back to Wookiepedia and rip apart Star Wars even more, which is a very normal and healthy thing to do.

Pokeballs are made up of ground-up pokemon, so it's a question of economics

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

We knew legendary pokemon existed naturally but were functionally impossible to capture. Why do you think silph co, around the same time as their invention of the master ball, was also looking into making artificial legendary pokemon?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

moosecow333 posted:

I always liked to think of Pokeballs as mini-apartments with the higher quality ones being nicer places. The Master Ball has a huge tv, sound system, and a pool that will immediately pacify any Pokémon, but those small-big tvs are very expensive to make so there aren’t that many.

Kind of hosed up that the pokemon is forever bound to the pokeball they were caught in and you can't upgrade them then.

Truthfully I always thought the pokeball itself doesn't matter and it's just an ad-hoc way of quickly accessing the greater pokemon storage network which is the warp from 40k, and the pokemon are just cute chaos demons

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

bawk posted:

We know how pokeballs are created, they're made of apricorns.

What's an apricorn? gently caress you, that's what.

Every demonic summoning ritual needs a reagent, and maybe the apricorn only grows when its roots drink ground up pokemon. Remember, pokemon were doing just fine before we were catching them and at one point humans couldn't "catch" them at all and they had to just hang out with each other

Also, did humans evolve from pokemon? Are there non-pokemon apes? Can you not "catch" a human if we're not biologically distinct from pokemon?

jokes has a new favorite as of 20:32 on Dec 16, 2022

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Philippe posted:

People eat Pokemon, right?

For sure pokemon eat pokemon yes

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

haveblue posted:

The best flavor was ligma

Ligma? Ligma what?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

I've always wanted a Metroid game where you play as the leader of a small Federation squad, just like Republic Commando.

I just want another Republic Commando game

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

CitizenKain posted:

Used to rent that game all the time. One weekend, both my cousin and I wrote down the password in a notebook. Even after doublechecking it, it still didn't work.

Probably an i/l/1/! issue, or a 0/O situation

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

christmas boots posted:

lmao at the guests who get back on at the end.

Lol yeah, what a decision

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Morpheus posted:

Look after you've viewed the heat death of the universe and the subsequent Big Bang, what else is there to do but do it again

Those poor computer bits getting a crash course in the very human feeling of "gently caress it, just gently caress my poo poo up"

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Also I think it's better to distance it from, ya know.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

haveblue posted:

There should have been a Megas XLR video game

Oh man, I just got sad.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Weird Pumpkin posted:

It's definitely complicated in RPGs by "must lose" fights as well

I wish games did more of those style fights, but turn them into unwinnable scenarios where if you survive long enough or do enough damage you get some cool rewards.

Similarly, I really liked that, in FF12, you fight a boss battle against a wall that slowly moves you toward a door you can open. If you defeat it, it's supposed to give you a chest (well, techncially a chance that a chest would spawn) that contains a really good weapon. If you don't, no worries you just go through the door and keep on going.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Perestroika posted:

God that reminds me of one issue where basically some teenager developed a mutation that basically killed everyone around him with some variety of radiation. It was completely involuntary and could only helplessly watch as he basically melted a town in a matter of minutes. The "solution" to that was for the X-Men to send in Wolverine to mercy-kill him.

Like Jesus Christ, way to muddle your own message there :catstare:

Yeah that was, uh, pretty hosed up

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Is teleporting across a battlefield and stabbing a knife in some dude's neck a warcrime?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I cannot play Pillars of Eternity 2 without compulsively completing all available quests.