Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

grittyreboot posted:

In the first Halo, there is a cut scene where Sarge is playing generic butt rock. Some marine complains about it and Sarge admonishes him because it's his heritage. I always thought that was funny.

They were going to license Magic Carpet Ride for that scene, but Bungie was vetoed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

timp posted:

Who the gently caress is seanbaby

Honestly, one of the funniest writers ever, and the only reason to go to Cracked anymore.

codenameFANGIO posted:

:stare: Well now I feel old.

Rejoice, I am youthful and know of them, so it might not be a young person thing. (You still may be super old though)

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Xoidanor posted:

"Telltale Games will remember this" :haw:

I nearly jumped when that happened. Good metajoke.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Len posted:

What game?

Tales From The Borderlands. It uses a "X will remember that" for important decisions, and if that pops up if you skip the credits.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Esroc posted:

I've always loved this aspect of Elder Scrolls. It's still mostly a fantasy themed game, but there's actually quite a bit of sci-fi mixed in if you dig deep enough into the lore.

Might and Magic was a lot less subtle.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

It never ceases to amuse me that some players unironically accept the Imperials as the good guys when the game literally dresses them up as Romans.

No nation is perfect. Look at all the atrocities the US committed. It's very much a "better then the alternative" scenario, but honestly, even then the game really does bend over backwards to portray the Imperials as the good guys, morally and practically.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The Thalmor were probably more willing to not give up and turn it into mutually assured destruction unless the Imperials gave them incentives to drop it.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Geokinesis posted:

(James Bond)

I think you mean Double Bro 7.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I fully expect we'll never get a game set in Black Marsh, Elsweyr, or Valenwood. Because then they couldn't get away with not putting in the crazier lore stuff, because that's all those areas are.

That goes for Morrowind, too, though.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

muscles like this? posted:

Fun fact, Shadow of Mordor was originally supposed to be a Batman game but the deal fell through (it was going to have Christopher Nolan involved with the production but he pulled out..)

It sounds like that would just be the Arkham games with a few different features.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
To be fair, they're supposed to be about/from the perspective of the bosses the song plays over.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Chinaman7000 posted:

Cerberus in ME2 had a good chunk of moral ambiguity and decent characters fighting for a dirty cause. They also didn't betray you... I'm pretty sure.

TIM was manipulating you all along, let you walk into a trap in the middle of the game, and then you tell them to gently caress off in the end by destroying the Collector Base and officially breaking off from them.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Broforce has so many little things that's fun to figure out. For instance, you can kill grunts by literally hitting them in the head with a grenade. Also, if you throw your boomerrang and get an ammo refill before you recover it, you'll get two.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Bear Enthusiast posted:

Basically this is amazing and I can't wait to play this goddamn game.

I predict in a short while, this thread will start feeling like PYF little things in games: But not Pillars of Eternity. Shut up about Pillars of Eternity.

It's such a good loving game.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Kaubocks posted:

portable ops is so unimportant that the only thing you need to know is "big boss meets kazuhira kaz mcdonell benedict master miller and they decide to create an army without borders"

The only reference to it in Peace Walker is Kaz saying "Finally, we can leave all that crap in San Hieronymo behind...". It wasn't directed by Kojima, so it's only kind of sort of canon. 1000% skippable.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I can't afford Phantom Pain, so this thread is just the epitome of :smith: for me.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

No joke. DOOM is one of those rare games where the dev team fully understood what was fun about it and kicked it up to 100% at all times.

it's funny because everything is so geared towards the multiplayer despite having the best single player campaign of maybe any first person shooter ever with an extremely sub par multiplayer.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
GTA peaked with San Andreas. It has so many unique things to it I don't think Rockstar really understands, and short of an updated HD re-release I don't think GTA even has the potential to be as good.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Dorito Gremlin is infinity times more better than what I was expecting.

Canon D.Va is just a Sword Art Online-esque perfect Asian gamer waifu. The fandom's take salvaged her.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Letting kids play a Star Trek MMO is bad parenting regardless.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Guy Mann posted:

I kind of love those really weird moments in time where fidelity, budget, and ambition clash so awkwardly. Like Custom Robo on the Gamecube, had a bunch of hand-drawn anime portraits for text boxes but the actual models couldn't emote so you'd get scenes like your boss angrily yelling at you in text buy staring forward with a blank :geno: face.

That reminds me of one of my favorite little things in games, when you get asked if the world is flat or round. Your character is expected to say flat. It''s the reveal that you live in an artificial world because the real one was destroyed.

Custom Robo was great, in that awkward "early 2000s English dub of a stupid children's anime" way.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

spooky like this! posted:

In Mafia 3 when you take over mob rackets you have the option of letting the guy in charge live and getting a bonus to how much they make or kill them and get some cash up front. Except when dealing with the racist quasi-Klan "Southern Union" them Lincoln just straight up murders.

What, they couldn't use the actual KKK?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I could see it winning for historical, artistic, or parody related reasons, but I guess that'd still take money to argue in court. Though I'd think "so and so v the KKK" would be great PR.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Glagha posted:

I love all the weird public messages in Doom. Like holograms that mention vaguely menacing things like "the blind council is always watching." The lore books are great too because they tend to zigzag hard between stuffy corporate-speak that suddenly turns into "oh also see an HR representative about getting your pentagram forehead tattoo" or something

It's very Night Vale.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

BioEnchanted posted:

I liked what the animated series did, with his split personality only being exacerbated by the attack - "Big Bad Harv" already existed, hell he almost beat Falcone to death, the acid just brought him to the surface.

He also had a third personality as a lethal crime fighter called "The Judge"(who went after Two-Face, of course).

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Cleretic posted:

WRONG!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeDjaQNiTog

For what it's worth, it was first called 'the first world war' in writing in 1914, but it was most likely intended as a war of the first world, rather than a worldwide war.

Granted, it only caught on after WWII, but still, the term 'the first world war' was coined around 1914.

Wasn't it also, literally, the first war on such a global scale? You don't need to be psychic to say "this is the first time that's happened".

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

CJacobs posted:

I acknowledge that it's not a very valid complaint because you definitely can separate Overwatch the story from Overwatch the videogame. But every time the characters are like "ha ha we're all buddies!" and then shoot each other I'm like "oh..."

I get what you mean but it's not like if they were more solidly split between bad guys and good guys you'd be playing out a gritty war drama where the characters died for real anyway. It's better than Mortal Kombat, where fatalities are such a big part of the series but everyone goes un-brutally murdered. Overwatch is super cartoony and barely above Splatoon in childish fake shooting each other as far as the gameplay side goes.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Triarii posted:

If you were only familiar with the game's backstory, you might think this is what you'd be playing, though. I'm only vaguely familiar with it but I know it involves robot uprisings, politics, betrayals, and arguments over the civil rights of sentient machines. And then, as you say, the gameplay is basically Splatoon. (Except the characters keep referencing that heavy backstory in voice clips, to remind you how much it doesn't match what's happening around you I guess.)

I don't think it's too different from like, that one DC moba that came and went super fast, where Batman and the Joker could be fighting Superman or something. Overwatch is basically a mix up of Street Fighter, GI Joe, and a superhero universe.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Killed By Death posted:

Uh, like 50% of the cast bites it in MK9 :confused:

In a cutscene by a random last minute plot development.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I always liked in FFIX when you go digging for Garnet's real name, which has no bearing on the story at all, and it's not some long fancy or exotic name like you'd expect out of a JRPG, it's just "Sarah".

That's probably a reference to Princess Sarah from the first game.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

dordreff posted:

On the other hand, having a likeable, well-written protagonist does mean you don't get anything as funny as how desperate the first Watch_Dogs guy was to go balls deep in his sister

What?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Agents are GO! posted:

Asha's loyalty mission mocking the poo poo out of Metal Gear.

How do you make fun of a clown? Pointing and laughing at it's big floppy shoes?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Poops Mcgoots posted:

I'm probably misremembering since it's been years since I played it, but I could've sworn CJ had some degree of agency in San Andreas since that game had the whole revenge plot.

San Andreas is the best GTA imo, but even so, that game was pretty much all about CJ getting dicked around by other people until the very end.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Febreeze posted:

Tiny Tina is a little too "lol random" but the humor is mostly just goofy hit or miss.

Tiny Tina was awesome when she was 90% more wigger before Gearbox suddenly reversed course on that aspect out of virtue signaling.

I mean, I wanna note here, I'm normally super into the whole idea of calling out "problamatic" poo poo, but Gearbox and Anthony Burch in particular are a bunch of hypocrites who's only interest in social justice is preening.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

codenameFANGIO posted:

I just checked and it is not the 90's and I am not in middle school so what the hell

I know, I know, but I couldn't think of anything else to concisely get the idea across. That's pretty unambiguously her whole "gag" in vanilla Borderlands 2.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Feonir posted:

Nier: Automata is a platformer by Platinum games with Taro Yoko at the helm.

People are going to be curious about its origins and play Nier...people are going to be playing Drakengard because of Nier. People are going to be attempting Ending E on Drakengard in 2017.

I feel like this post also needs go to the Schadenfreude thread because the levels of suffering are going to spike into infinity and I cannot wait.

The first Drakengard is a terrible game filled with amazing little things.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Alteisen posted:

Drakengard is amazing game for the simple fact that the character you play has 0 redeeming qualities, he's not someone with a heart of gold, he's not some anti-hero, he is the most hosed up, evil rear end in a top hat in the entire game surrounded by a motley crew of even more hosed up people than you, and this is the guy you're supposed to root for as murder child soldiers by the thousands. More games need a reprehensible rear end in a top hat as the main character.

Hey, give him some credit, he rejects his sister's incesty love for him. That should technically count as a redeeming quality, aside from it resulting in her suicide and as a result of that the apocalypse.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Hotline Miami 2 had a kickass limited edition vinyl run of the ost I would kill for.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Oxxidation posted:

Killing the Orphan/Sweet Child of Kos is basically euthanasia, since it's the lynchpin holding the Hunter's Nightmare together. Yharnam's original sin was Byrgenwerth aborting the Sweet Child from Kos (which might have been the only Great One to ever successfully give a live birth) and using its blood as the foundation of all their experiments.

I thought Ebrietas was the source of the blood? I need to rewatch a lore video some time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

J.A.B.C. posted:

Drakengard 3 was all sorts of screwed up, even disregarding the sex-crazed murder waifus.

But had way less elf cannibalism and incest. It's like they were only barely trying to be as balls crazy as the first one. (we speak not of the second game)