Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win it all next year?
This poll is closed.
Spurs 165 32.93%
Thunder 76 15.17%
Clippers 54 10.78%
Warriors 50 9.98%
Rockets 23 4.59%
Lakers 133 26.55%
Total: 501 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Libertine posted:

Tim moves on to his second career as host of Lone Star Clash. Parker becomes a jet pack salesman.

*lands his jetpack next to your wife* bonjour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
The way the Spurs talked about the losing moment of last years finals makes it sound like they don't even care about winning next year so they're just gonna meander aimlessly to 55 wins and the WCF.

Hah also hey Zogo remember when I was like "Zogo says regular season win record is predictive for a title" and then Zogo was like "well sure normally but c'mon lookit these TEAMS I think the Heat have this" well you sure proved you wrong with your dang numbers.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

chunkles posted:

I'm kind of leaning towards the Heat's window being closed but: LeBron James, who is basically like a free ticket to the ECF.

remember last year when the window closed on the Spurs :(

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Which happens first Spurs get to another finals or Spurs throw another alley-oop?

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

glowing-fish posted:

Me and my father had a theory that Dennis Rodman's trips to North Korea all just came about because he was actually chasing down a very far, very errant rebound from a playoff game in the 1990s.

it happened because Rodman is a pathetic umemployable drunk who knows nothing about politics beyond a cursory "i've seen TV and north korea is bad" he can't keep a job because he can't stop drinking and he was getting closer to bottoming out after his reality show appearances failed some canadian cultural tourists gave him vodka money to act as a passport into NK (Jong-Un is 31 years old and grew up in the western world he loved the 90s Bulls because it was normal, now he's met one of his heroes and he's still a murderin' dictator) so they could film an HBO special about "look at the curious quirks of this oppressive autocracy's guest facade ha ha ha oh well" or something

edit: points in his favor--all-time greatest rebounder positional or otherwise, michael jordan hated him so he couldn't ahve been all bad, amazing basketball body, incredible wingspan on a jumping frame

not scared :)

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jun 18, 2014

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Doltos posted:

Has there ever been a Popovich Spur that went on to actually be good for his next team? George Hill sort of, maybe, but not really.

maybe Beno Udrih, but it's more like equally serviceable than "actually good"

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Errant Gin Monks posted:

It has arrived!!!

Quality wise it seems pretty good. Everything is sewn on in 2 layers but it's a basic zig zag stitch. I foresee having to resew the logos if heavily worn. For casual use it should be just fine.

The real question... Do I wear it to the Spurs Championship Parade?

I want to wear my Splitter jersey and now I am torn.

uh Splitter is useful to his squad Murray was the worst player on that team why would you want to wear a bad player who isn't Javale or BALTCHE

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Halfling Wizard Bear posted:

Is this guy credible? I feel like the Nuggets would have to gut the team to get Love and then he'd probably leave anyway. How much does Kevin like weed?

doubt it because: so far Denver have not been great at trading with Ujiri gone, why would Love want to play for a team that can't begin to cover up his bad D, and you should not joke about that NBA professionals do not abuse marijuana :mad:

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I hope everybody read that Boris Diaw story. It diagrams out how the Spurs won the championship with the most powerful basketball ability of all: friendship. The clear implication is that Jordan then Kobe murdered the spirit of friendship in basketball until it rose again Aslan-like as the Wade-James-Bosh superfriends united, but their connection to each other was destroyed by petty Mario Chalmers who was very angry when he found out that nobody was willing to gamble on the legal headache involved in a Super Mario App.

Also it doesn't mention that he started occupying his time with the Bobcats by shooting photos here's eric judor by boris diaw just for werewaif

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Dang that's a lot of posts I thought maybe there'd been a trade :(

Hah LeBron's non-answer after that last game really let folks run away with speculation. It seemed to me he was thinking something like "I am not thinking much about my contract at all right now because I just lost the finals I want to go hang out with my family for a while or something. Also I shouldn't even talk about my contract because everyone seems to hate me when I do that" and instead it came out all cagey IT'S A DISTINCT AND REASONABLE POSSIBILITY THAT I WILL LEAVE MIAMI NOW because he phrased it all adult and non-committal.

edit: Also, Spo mentioned in his interview that he spoke to the team about the loss (none of us feel it right now but it's very impressive that we've made the finals 4 times straight sorta perspective) and LeBron's interview included a paraphrase of what Spo said he said to the team. I thought that was neat, he loves and respects that coach.

Rick posted:

Psh Kobe learning to be friends with Pau Gasol is what clearly put the Lakers back into contention (and the fact that they could both play 40+ minutes a night).

haha after I read this post last night I spent a few minutes imagining a montage where Pau guides a confused and distressed Kobe through a series of rehabilitation exercises meant to introduce him to the concept of Friend and it ended positive with Kobe hissing at some children No No Kobe That's Wrong says Pau but no wait no Kobe was speaking parseltongue to warn off a venomous asp waiting to strike a boy dead.

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jun 20, 2014

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

MourningView posted:

ESPN literally put up a clock to time how long his pause before answering was (like 3 seconds, apparently), and used this is evidence that he wants to leave, and not that he was trying to think about what he said before a national television audience.

Hah I did not see that. No mistake putting that E in front of the S.

Montverde is dunking all over Oak Hill on ESPN if anyone wants to watch basketball.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
NBA.com has stats on who shoots better from what area/distance--

Chris Bosh
Kevin Love

But I think you'd need one of them SynergySports accounts to get contested v. open looks comparisons? Personally I'd think it would be easy to agree with the assertion that Kevin Love is a better shooter (significantly more accurate on above-the-break 3s) and benefits less from his team than Bosh does (Miami is a much better team). Chris Bosh's perfect 50ft shooting is not accounted for because he was trying to impress Swin Cash.

Ha ha ha did you know that every player in the NBA this year is shooting 100% on assisted shots whoa cool stat there stat page

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jun 20, 2014

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
The Bulls are one of the only teams where I think Melo would be an overall better fit than Bosh but I'm exceptionally bitter about how one-way a player Melo is.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
did Cleveland just get an actually good coach weird

edit: that is to say the Blatt rumor is confirmed ?

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jun 20, 2014

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

PWI posted:

Can anyone describe his coaching style to someone who knows nothing about him?

E: fourth year is team option according to espn ticker at the bar

Solid Euro Ball + Shut The gently caress Up "Guy Pnini"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmlXPip1D1Q

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Jack's Flow posted:

How can anyone rooting for Golden State even hesitate for one second when that deal is on the table? You say "THANKS!", stuff Love in a duffel bag and run for the hills.

heard "best 3pt shooting backcourt in NBA history" and thought it reflected very well on Thompson, doubt K-Love because c'mon lookit his flabby arms no way could he be good at basketball

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
How do you tell if a leak is a real leak and not somebody making stuff up?

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I wonder if Jamison sticks around next season for the 7 more points he needs to become the 42nd leading scorer of all time?

Kobe woulda passed MJ this year if he coulda played more than 6 games. Good that he gave Jordan another year to perfect a bitter statement.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

WhyteRyce posted:

Fun fact, Shaq was once on the Celtics

NateRob the Fun Multiplier

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UAFS5PGawg

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Someone link the article that looked at all the moves Cleveland did after they landed Lebron compared to what SA did after landing Duncan.

I would like to read this article if someone could link it? I tried googling for a few phrases but I could only find this

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Is this all right:

Salary Cap for next year is ~63m
Bulls payroll is right around there right now
They can't acquire FA Melo until they get rid of max salary worth of space below cap

?

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

PantsFreeZone posted:

Apparently Embiid tweeted this and deleted it almost immediately.

I love this nutty draft ramp up poo poo.

I hope it's true because ESPN had a Lakers reporter on yesterday saying there was No Way the Lakers take Embiid if he falls that far. They need to win win now now.

I'm excited for the draft and I have almost no idea what's going to happen anymore. Cavs can break everybody's scenarios by being the Cavs straight off.

I love Tyson Chandler but I don't think his body is going to hold up much longer. I'm glad the forums are back for draft night.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Chris Christie posted:

Woj is saying Orlando is sending Afflalo to the Nuggets for Fournier and the 56th pick.

Uh, couldn't they do better than that???

Nope! Fournier is great. He's tragically underrated, poorly used in Denver and there's no evidence that I'm saying this as tribal support for the only good Evan in the NBA. Can't wait until he makes his way to the Spurs.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Miko posted:

Paul Pierce will drive left with the slowest first step known to man and he will still beat you, look like he got hit by a bullet, throw up the shot and finish the and 1.

Pierce and Rondo both got that trick, something about building up a reputation of Crafty so well that defenders occasionally allow you to walk to the rim because they're no way he's going for that basket he's moving way too slow he's got to be trying some kinda oh two points

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwCxb9LK_2k

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Libertine posted:

It definitely rivals Balkman who is the only other guy I think of who was a complete shocker at that pick range. Balkman I feel like actually panned out to be a guy who was respectable to have been drafted in the late first, even if he's always remembered as a draft punchline.

haha "respectable" is a fun word choice for a guy who I last seen being paid by the Knicks to get kicked out of a Filipino league for choking a dude on the court

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Libertine posted:

I mean like he didn't disrespect himself with his play when he was employed by the Knicks. I've not kept up with his exploits in the exciting world of Southeast Asian League basketball.

I only found out about it after looking at the Knicks salary (he was still being paid last year) and googling to see what he was up to

it was choking his own teammate in front of a crowd
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVpdZkNStpA

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Mods please change my name to Targuy Ntanguy and change my age to 19

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Phil Jackson Mindgames 2014:
Pull a reverse Chris Smith to lure Giannis (who, if you remember, is the Greek Durant) to your squad.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

mynameisjohn posted:

i'm not going to link to all the videos, but please head over to

http://instagram.com/swaggyp1

to see kids crossing over nick young at his basketball camp. also his customized camp shirts say "nick young basketball never stops" which is very true. i love him.

Don't really use instagram not sure how to link it but I love clips of NBA players blocking children and there's videos of that too.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

crazycello posted:

To be fair, it's pretty cool that he posted this on instagram instead of deleting the footage and denying its existence.

Nobody here has ever ever ever said Nick Young is not cool as hell

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Pro Athlete Story template is older siblings who beat up on you and spend years fueling your competitive rage before you hit a freak growth spurt. Those kids got promising futures if they suddenly become 7 feet tall.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

I woulda loved that trade Larry is wasted in Milwaukee (all meanings intended) and Lopez is a boring ol' ogre who's good at basketball.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I miss basketball

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Does anyone know of any good sacrifices I could make that might appeal to the Basketball Blood Gods against the threat of Jason Kidd being any good at his new capacity I think I might hate that man

but I like the innocent Bucks, no good way out hmm

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jun 30, 2014

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Henchman of Santa posted:

How Gortat has not been cast as every action movie villain/giant dude is baffling to me. Go away Bautista. Make room for the Polish Hammer.

I don't wanna straight out root for a guy's career to end, especially not a player I like, but c'mon we'll be seeing him on screen like 4 months after that career-ending stress fracture and it'll be wonderful and also uplifting considering how tragic the ending of his playing career was :(

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I stepped on a big piece of glass yesterday that was smaller than the tip of my finger maybe they're just using creative language.

WEREWAIF posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CupXDKqMV-g "If my brother's in trouble so am I"

I had a great plan to save the Knicks. You kidnap Chris Smith and videotape him heading down a conveyor belt into a huge saw blade. You tell JR that the kidnappers want him to play defense and an efficient game or they'll chop his brother. He's a loyal family man and so he does as he's told. He has an all star season and leads the knicks to the 7th seed in the playoffs.

I still can't believe you would suggest anything so monstrous. It would clearly work, but you're putting an innocent, laid-back family-lovin' kinda-guy like JR through emotional trauma online for the sake of the Knicks' defense as if they deserve any such thing???

This is too much. Beyond the pale, it's far too much and you can't just do whatever you want in the name of tight defensive schemes. Plus Chris Smith is a very strong man, he would break free. And even if you used extra extra strong ropes he would still yell at the camera "don't do it JR it's a trick" and then you really would have to kill him and I bet you wouldn't feel too great then huh?

Also 'eh too much effort' is much more Melo's problem than JR's on D and I don't even know if Melo has any brothers. Here's the 17 second clip where JR does okay guarding two people because Melo decides to rotate off his man under the basket onto a patch of empty space:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fedKRotk2WY

Plus JR ball-watches a lot and I don't know if giving him more to think about will help.

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jul 1, 2014

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Spoeank posted:

What the ever loving gently caress is this.

A positive and healthy escape into fantasy after the trauma of a season full of Brandon-Smith captained deep twoball.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

cisneros posted:

JR killed his best friend.

I think we all understand the aptness of running a Knicks defense by piling tragedy upon tragedy but the league needs its gravity-defying men in top mental condition

:aaa:

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Jason Kidd ended his playing career by missing 500 consecutive wide open shots and missed the first two games of his coaching career with a DWI suspension #funfacts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
very innocent compared to the Pacers luring big-time free agent Chris Copeland with fake ESPN magazine promises of success then refusing that very success by benching him in favor of Evan Turner ugh disgusting manipulation

Doltos posted:

I don't think I've seen one sign in the NYC area that says Stay Melo

we ain't a city full of sociopaths he should do what's best for himself :colbert:

• Locked thread