Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Synthetic Hermit posted:

News

The band recently finished recording their sixteenth studio album at The Warehouse studio in Vancouver, BC (SoloDallas inside the studio, part 1 and part 2). Brendan O'Brien will again be producing (hopefully, he gets more power out of the band than he did on Black Ice...:reject:). A tour is tentative, but probable. Brian has said that the plan was for 40 shows to celebrate 40 years, but that may be expanded due to high demand.

The occasion has been marred by the illness of Malcolm Young, who has been forced to "take a break". He has been replaced in the studio by his nephew Stevie, who also filled in for him during part of the 1988 Blow Up Your Video tour while he was in alcoholic rehab (according to Maximum Rock & Roll, he had a fondness for Stone's Green Ginger Wine).

It is not known exactly what's affecting Malcolm. Whatever it is, he's had it since at least 2012. Brian recently revealed that Mal has been hospitalized. It's unclear as to whether Stevie will have to also take Malcolm's place on tour.

Most recent picture of Malcolm (January 2014, Sydney airport)

No one has absolutely no idea how psyched I am for a new album and tour. I made a thread back when Black Ice was released and went to one of the first shows on the tour. It still stands as the best night of my life since it was the first time I got to see them live since they became my favorite band back in the 90's.

I really hope Malcolm gets better soon. :( I didn't know about his nephew subsituting for him in the BUYV tour, so that's interesting!

Also, nice OP, but you missed Bonfire, Backtracks, and their live albums; 1992's aptly-title Live being the CD that made me fall in love with them.

If You Want Blood is no slouch either, even if the Glasgow concert is incomplete. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Synthetic Hermit posted:

New Brian interview. The album is fully finished. He says they're definitely touring.

gently caress yes. I can't wait.

And this is awesome.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Synthetic Hermit posted:

Here's a nice alternate version of Little Lover:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhWxzCp35AQ

Interesting.

I'd like to share What's Next To The Moon from the European Vinyl version of Powerage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71AeKHXIrQM

As the video description says:

quote:

It had a 'harder' sound than the CD version, with small variations in vocals and/or guitar tracks, and occasionally extra sections and longer or shorter fades.
One of the most marked differences is the exclusion of the bluesy coda on "Down Payment Blues."
The first cassette issue of the album also features this mix.
The album was later remixed for the American market, with the new mix replacing the original European mix, and becoming the global standard.

I would most definitely track down a CD version of this mix with some cash...if it existed. :smith:

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
I read this before and forgot to link it: Phil Rudd says the album was recorded in a mere ten days and says it's "stunning".

http://www.vintagevinylnews.com/2014/08/per-phil-rudd-acdc-album-was-finished.html

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
It's really sad to hear about Malcolm and it just makes me even more glad that I went to see him in action during the last tour. This album will be an interesting listen indeed. Pre-ordering it the first chance I get.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Sheen Sheen posted:

Best Band Ever. I am loving psyched for this album. I didn't really like Stiff Upper Lip very much, but I loving loved Black Ice. If this album is half as good as Black Ice, then I'll probably listen to it non-stop for the next year. Hell, even if it's bad, it's still an excuse for them to tour again.

Favorite AC/DC song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2CRtdrIMQE

:golfclap: A fine choice. Still my favorite album ever.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Synthetic Hermit posted:

Here's a good quality upload of the full version of Play Ball.

IMO, sounds like a Black Ice leftover with better mixing and solos. It's got groove and decent punch, but, well...

:/

In any case, the title track totally pwns everything on Black Ice and most of SUL - that title track had a way more addictive groove.

Play Ball has apparently been released on iTunes in the U.S., so if you want it, come and get it! :keke:

I finally gave in and listened to both songs. Compared to their other songs, I don't really care for Play Ball at all. Maybe it will grow on me, but ehhhhhhh. Rock or Bust, on the other hand, now that is more like it. Much more of a memorable groove...for AC/DC in 2014 anyway.

Those two songs reminded me of the criticisms I've had for the band since Ballbreaker: where are the fast songs? The last "fast" song they put to tape was Fire Your Guns from The Razors Edge. In 1990. Since then, it's been the same plodding, mid-tempo blues beat on their studio albums. Don't get me wrong, my least favorite AC/DC tracks are a hell of a lot better than a lot of band's best songs, but c'mon boys: up the tempo a little and inject some energy into it. I want more stuff like Landslide, Brain Shake, Nick of Time, This Means War, Heatseeker from Live, etc.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

I was thinking of including that and Give It Up from the same album, but the other songs I mentioned before are closer to what I would like to see the band record again.

I'm still going to pre-order the album. I just know they have the energy to make a few more uptempo songs. Comparing Landslide and This Means War to their newer songs is like night and day.

Seriously, Landslide is crazy underrated.

Charles Martel fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Oct 16, 2014

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

beejay posted:

Apparently Phil Rudd tried to hire a hitman.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-29928698

That puts a whole new spin on dirty deeds.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Dattserberg posted:

Well then. Hopefully this doesn't change upcoming tour plans. I was getting pretty pumped about seeing Angus and the boys again.

Hopefully Chris Slade or Simon Wright can be phoned up again.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Less than 3 weeks until the new album comes out!

Here's a pretty revealing article with Rolling Stone on everything that's been happening. Their drummer situation is up in the air, but by the sound of things, everything is going to be OK. Phil almost didn't record on the album, and when he did, he just seemed to be going through the motions. The new songs are credited to Young-Young which means they come from riffs Malcolm had a hand in coming up with, and according to Brian, Stevie worked his rear end off to get the rhythm down-pat:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/acdc-malcolm-young-phil-rudd-rock-or-bust-20141114

I need to put aside money for concert tickets. This could very well be their last tour with the way things are going.

The band from 1976:

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Hahaha, this is fantastic. I love Angus so much. Like many others, I bought a guitar because of him too.

Oh God, if they play stuff from Powerage, Flick of the Switch, or Fly on the Wall when I see them, I will lose my poo poo.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Wengy posted:

So how's the new album? Probably gonna gift it to my dad for Christmas, he took me to see the band almost 15 years ago, and gently caress if it isn't one of my most memorable concert experiences up to this day.

It was leaked yesterday, but I don't have the heart to listen to it before buying the CD on Tuesday.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
So Best Buy has this bad boy sale for $12.99, but I got them to price-match Amazon at $9.97:

The cover is holographic with the logo exploding as it moves, which is very cool, but nothing beats the small tribute to Malcolm. Speaking of, he's all over this record. I can just tell he came up with some of these riffs and wouldn't even tell he's missing unless I opened up the booklet, which shows Stevie has the Young guitar chops and then some. Phil, on the other hand, has exactly two pictures in the booklet (one being a head shot) neither of which are included with the band. Hiring hitmen and doing drugs are way cooler than having your picture taken with your longtime bandmates, I guess.

First impressions: Better than Black Ice by a mile; probably their best since Razors in 1990 (which isn't hard to say since I personally consider Ballbreaker and Black Ice their weakest material so the only other post-1990 studio competition is Stiff Upper Lip).

The songs are tighter, the grooves are infectious, and "Rock or Bust" and "Play Ball" sound better with the added fidelity from the disc. My favorite song by far right now by far is "Baptism By Fire", which miraculously reaches "Safe in New York City" levels of tempo. THAT's the kind of stuff I want to hear from these guys and I can't wait to scream it with 10,000 other people next year until I lose my voice. The only songs that didn't really grab me on the first spin were "Dogs of War" (cool fade-out though) and "Sweet Candy".

All-in-all, very cool album. Turn this one up LOUD.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

comes along bort posted:

Best Buy still sells CDs? Learn something new every day.

Yep. Crazy people like me that have CD collections and refuse to let go of the 90s still buy them too!

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Very good read. I didn't think Angus was that critical of himself. Everything he does looks effortless, but considering the family he grew up in and playing guitar almost non-stop since the 70s...yeah.

I don't think he has to worry one bit about fans "accepting" the new album. It rocks. It's under 40 minutes long, but not a single note is wasted.

And no, Rolling Stone, Flick of the Switch was anything but a "pale followup". :rolleyes:

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Anybody who complains about AC/DC of all bands headlining a festival needs their ears checked.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Sheen Sheen posted:

According metalsucks.net, Chris Slade's optometrist tweeted something suggesting that Chris is back in AC/DC. No clue how reliable the website is, nor why Chris Slade's optometrist would know anything about this, but hey, drummer rumors!! :v:

I would not mind this at all. Guy killed it on The Razor's Edge and the subsequent tour.

Cool Grammy pics too.

Speaking of tours, I wonder if they're coming to the U.S. either late this year or next year.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Billboard posted:

Drummer Chris Slade confirmed the news yesterday (Feb. 7) via Facebook, saying, "YES the drum stool is under OLD management!" The drummer played in AC/DC between 1989 and 1994, and will now accompany the band on its upcoming 2015 tour.

Yesssss

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Not a single appearance in Pennsylvania? I technically could swing the E. Rutherford gig 2 hours away, but hopefully they post more dates. They kicked off the Black Ice tour in my hometown FFS.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
North American tickets are on sale. I managed to snag three tickets to the East Rutherford concert. Already pumped!! :banjo:

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Fly McCool posted:

Down Payment Blues (off Powerage - the best album) is my favorite AC/DC song, lyrically and musically, and one of the songs that made me pick up the guitar (because I knew I could learn it). To me, that simplicity is the brilliant thing about the music.

Down Payment Blues and Powerage are both fantastic. It's not as good an album as Highway To Hell, but it's close.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

quote:

...AC/DC played a few songs from their upcoming album interspersed among classics like "Back in Black"...

Wow, making another album so soon, eh? I'm sure they meant Rock or Bust, but I could always use another album by them.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Less than three weeks until the NJ concert. Can't fuckin' wait!!

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Gahhhhhh, less than 7 hours to go!! SO loving HYPED UP!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5iTQf5PDyY

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
I had an absolute blast and am still too wired to sleep, so have some highlights!

http://imgur.com/a/s7eIM

They still looked and sounded great! I hope this isn't their last tour with is being so short. :ohdear:

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Dattserberg posted:

Detroit show on Tuesday, floor seats. Second time seeing Angus and the boys. Don't expect to have a voice for several days. Cannot wait

Seeing them in Jersey was my second AC/DC concert as well. Their setlist seems to be the same for the entire North American tour, so check it out if you want to know what to expect:

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/acdc/2015/metlife-stadium-east-rutherford-nj-2bf7344e.html

Watch for Angus giving the horns at the beginning of Hell Ain't A Bad Place To Be, him running his tie up and down the guitar neck on Sin City, and of course, the Let There Be Rock solo.

Have fun!

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Axel Serenity posted:

Sitting in the Dodger Stadium parking lot. By far one of the best concerts I have ever been to. We were 7th row, right in front of the right screen. Still reeling from it. I have no voice. It's dead, Jim.

Angus is a loving god.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMu7_kWvhhE

The amazing thing about the video is that it could have been a legitimate closer for any other band, and yet it was the second song of the night.

I wish I was that close. That seemed like a loving awesome show. Cool video!

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Synthetic Hermit posted:

IMO, this performance is the highlight of the tour so far:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQyeqe5EQqM

More: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKiDcSV0e376aqp932kcRvK-WDjC0KyNG

Angus turned 60 in March. Brian turned 68 a couple of weeks ago. This is the former's 16th and the latter's 11th tour supporting an album. How DO they keep doing this! :cheers:

That was amazing. POWERAGE! I hope I play guitar a quarter as well as that if I make it to my 60s.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
So when's the next album? :v:

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
I'd go see them again in Philly if I wasn't broke. I'm sure tickets that go on sale tomorrow will be long gone by the time I get my next paycheck next week.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
If Brian truly can't tour anymore, they should just hang it up and retire (as much as it kills me to say that). It's a miracle they pulled off a lead singer change back in 1980 when we lost arguably the greatest front man of all-time, but at this point, they've had a really awesome run, and I couldn't think of a single person that would fit that bill.

Using Van Halen as an example: Roth was great, Hagar was good, but the last thing AC/DC needs is a Gary Cherone (not comparing Dave Grohl, just making a general example). I'm not interested in seeing them go into self-parody.

Charles Martel fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Mar 13, 2016

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
http://exclaim.ca/music/article/has_brian_johnson_been_kicked_out_of_ac_dc

I don't know. I'm not making any judgments until Angus speaks up because all of this just doesn't add up. Immediately kicking your lead singer of 36 years because he has an issue with his hearing now? Come on.

I know it's becoming old hat 'round these parts, but I'm really glad I got to see them when I did; Black Ice tour with Rudd and Malcolm and last year with Slade and Stevie.

Edit:

quote:

**UPDATE**: Earlier today (Tuesday, March 15), Jim Breuer posted the following statement on his Facebook page: "I have seen some stories circulating about my podcast. As a friend, I saw Brian withdrawn for the first time in my life. He's not a quitter, he seemed hurt by the situation of being between a rock and a hard place. I spoke as a true fan and friend, simply venting as if he was a brother of mine. I hope to see him rock out one more time. You have to remember I'm a comedian & a storyteller. I definitely exaggerate and sometimes I get a little carried away!! And this was one of those times!"

Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/has-brian-johnson-been-kicked-to-the-curb-by-acdc/#lWKLYZMIjVwFUR6B.99

Charles Martel fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Mar 15, 2016

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
This whole thing is getting bizarre. I wish they would release an official statement on what they're doing instead of speculation flying around.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

EugeneJ posted:

What are the odds that GNR opens for the 10 gigs and Axl sings with both bands every night?

That would be fantastic

He would have to show up and not cause a riot first.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

comes along bort posted:

Apparently some Belgians are having none of this.

http://www.standaard.be/cnt/dmf20160502_02270843

A Bedlam in Belgium if you will.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Synthetic Hermit posted:

BIG addition to the setlist tonight. A real oldie. :cheers:

If you're planning on going to any of the upcoming shows, possible spoiler warning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91AoWkzewIY

I have an idea that maybe Cliff asked for it, to re-live the old days for one last time...

Oh man. One of my favorites.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
I will always love AC/DC and Angus, but please for the love of god, let that be false. There isn't ANYBODY ELSE he can find to lay down vocals? Why can't Brian come back for studio work? Do him and Angus hate each other that much now?

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Synthetic Hermit posted:

Finally confirmed that it's all Phil's drumming on Flick Of The Switch. This and some other neat anecdotes from the FOTS mixing session are below:

http://www.highwaytoacdc.com/index.php?articleid=3572

Really cool read. I can't imagine how rad it would've been to be in the studio with them using all of that classic recording equipment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

gently caress. Yes.