Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I was taking inventory of my tool bag today to see if I could get rid of anything (it's heavy :< ), and since I had the list typed up, I figured I'd make a post.

I currently use a large laptop bag to haul my ultrabook and a bunch of kit around to client sites. The bag I use is an earlier version of this http://www.amazon.com/Samsonite-Checkmate-Checkpoint-Friendly-Laptop/dp/B001GR363Y/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top Samsonite Checkmate bag.

It works pretty well, but a lot of my tools don't really neatly fit into compartments, so it can get disorganized pretty easily. I've gotten more and more strict with myself on where and how I put in and take out gear, and strap down cables, etc - so it's better these days.

Still though, I just put it on a scale out of curiosity - with my ultrabook it weighs 17.4lbs altogether. :( :( :( I went to a tailor to get fitted for some shirts recently, and the tailor was like 'hummmm, that's odd. your left shoulder slumps about half an inch lower than your right - do you carry anything heavy on that shoulder often?' and I had to go to frown-town. :smith:

Anyways, here's what I got -

1 Each of :
• Business Identity Materials (Business Cards, Brochures)
• Pens, tape, etc.
• Power Cable
• 14ft + 5ft Cat5e Cables
• SATA Cable
• VGA->DVI Adapter
• HMDI Cable
• USB 2.0 Male->B Cable
• USB Mini Cable
• USB Micro Cable
• IPhone Cable
• Rosewill USB IDE/SATA HDD Adapter+Power
• USB Mouse
• Screen Cleaner
• RJ45 Crimp Tool
• Cable Cutter/Punchdown Tool
• 16GB USB Drive + Virus Removal Tools
• 54bit Ifixit Screwdriver Kit
• Misc Screws
• Scissors
• Xacto Knife
• RJ45/RJ11 Cable Tester
• CD/DVD Case + Software
• 500gb USB Mini Drive
• Electrical Spray Lubricant
• Compressed Air
• CD/DVDRW USB Drive
• DYMO Labelmaker 280 + Spare Tape

Anyways, I think I use most all of that on a daily basis. The crimp tools and punchdown come out less often, but that's not a huge weight saver... what do you guys have in your kit? Any bag recommendations more specifically geared towards tech use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Did that silly ultrabook term ever catch on? God I hope not.

Phoning It In
Oct 17, 2010
edit: wait this isnt yospos

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I've got a cushy corporate gig, so I have tools at the office, but there are 2 things I always keep in my laptop bag.

1: Velcro Ties http://www.amazon.com/Velcro-Reusable-Self-Gripping-Inches-91140/dp/B001E1Y5O6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1406509193&sr=8-1&keywords=velcro+ties

2: Quality small screwdriver set, this Wiha set is amazing. http://www.amazon.com/Wiha-26199-Sl...screwdriver+set

I carry other stuff with me, but those are the 2 things I make sure I always have. They come in very handy.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

That's a lot to use every day.

My kit's scattered across my car and my bench, and most of it I only use occasionally.

* Leatherman Wave. My Most Valuable Tool. It's my second one, since my first one started getting dull and the the small flathead screwdriver was chipped. The newer one has driver bits (already had to replace the tiny phillips/flathead one twice), but it's bulkier so it can't go as deep and gets in the way more often.
* Craftsman magnetic drivers with hollow handles with a spinny plastic lid that lets you apply torque and pressure at the same time easily. Best screwdrivers I've used, although the shafts are bulky and can't get into narrow recesses.
* Small USB keyboard/trackpad combo I got at Fry's for $20. So much nicer than dealing with mice, but have to turn off numlock to use half the keyboard properly.
* IDE/SATA->USB dongle & power supply
* SATA-USB/eSATA dock by Thermaltake
* 8GB Cruzer (I really need to update this)
* Variety of cables--USB, SATA, IDE, network
* Ultimate Boot DVD
* Ubuntu Live DVD
* Windows Vista/7 install discs
* Hammer
* Box of nail-in cable guides
* Velcro strapping
* Velcro with adhesive backing
* Heavy-duty RJ45/11 crimper with the 568a/b cheat scrawled in sharpie on the handle
* Bag of RJ45 connectors
* Bag of RJ45 jacks
* Variety tub of zip ties
* Box of zip tie holder things with adhesive backs and a screw hole
* Small microfiber shammy
* Scissors
* Notepad & post-its
* Boxcutter
* Tape measure
* Variety of screws and molly bolts
* Hole saw
* Dymo labelmaker
* Soldering iron
* Smartphone with dropbox, drive, and onedrive accounts
* Surface RT
* Box of Cat5e cable

If I need to, I can grab a network cable tester, line tracer, and punchdown tool from work. I also have a Dremel set, a Ridgid power driver with a big bit set, and Ridgid reciprocating saw if I really need them.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

skipdogg posted:

2: Quality small screwdriver set, this Wiha set is amazing. http://www.amazon.com/Wiha-26199-Sl...screwdriver+set

Wiha's are the only screwdrivers you will ever need, and never go back to anything else.

USB drives are your friend, if you aren't the persuasion to create a multiboot SSD external I suggest investing in a bulk buy on 8gb/4gb usb keys. I havn't used a CD/DVD is ~5 years, often quicker to download and create a new key then deal with DVD corruption.

Leatherman Skeletool, on goon suggestion, best tool I have ever bought. The tip filed to a flathead screwdriver, broke it off and have found it more useful as a screwdriver than a knife.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

BlueBlazer posted:

Wiha's are the only screwdrivers you will ever need, and never go back to anything else.

USB drives are your friend, if you aren't the persuasion to create a multiboot SSD external I suggest investing in a bulk buy on 8gb/4gb usb keys. I havn't used a CD/DVD is ~5 years, often quicker to download and create a new key then deal with DVD corruption.

Leatherman Skeletool, on goon suggestion, best tool I have ever bought. The tip filed to a flathead screwdriver, broke it off and have found it more useful as a screwdriver than a knife.

looking at the waha - can I just stop and plug this Ifixit 54 bit kit I have in my bag real quick? https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Mac/54...q3-cxoCR_vw_wcB

this motherfucker is like $25, only twice the size of my wallet, has a flexible extender thing for getting in tight spaces, and a torque slot so you can get just as much on a screw as you could with something 4x its size. I used it for a month, and then took all of my other screwdrivers/kits out of my bag.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Edit: I don't read so good at 1am

Hows the quality on that kit? Do you find yourself needing all those bits? I haven't been in a situation where my 7pc screwdriver set hasn't been enough to do the job.

Wiha tools are pricy but the quality is amazing, especially the heads of the Philips. Very nice German quality tools.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jul 28, 2014

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

skipdogg posted:

If you want. I can't speak to the quality of that kit but it's probably some cheap harbor freight quality crap.

Wiha tools are pricy but the quality is amazing, especially the heads of the Philips. Very nice German quality tools. I got tired of cheap tools and invested a few bucks and it was totally worth it. You don't have to get those, but do get a nice quality set. Home Depot and Lowes probably have decent sets as will grainger or another quality tool distributor. One of our offices has a Husky set and they're pretty good.

? I mean, I'm saying I threw out every other toolkit / individual screwdriver in my kit, because this one works so well. I'm vouching for its quality.

yeah maybe I like my individual screwdrivers better, or 'think they're better quality' - but this is neat, tidy, compact, and doesn't annoy me the way almost every other X in 1 screwdriver does. if you travel to client sites a lot, it's important to find a balance, unless you want to carry around 5lbs of screwdrivers.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
a flask

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

mindphlux posted:

looking at the waha - can I just stop and plug this Ifixit 54 bit kit I have in my bag real quick? https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Mac/54...q3-cxoCR_vw_wcB

this motherfucker is like $25, only twice the size of my wallet, has a flexible extender thing for getting in tight spaces, and a torque slot so you can get just as much on a screw as you could with something 4x its size. I used it for a month, and then took all of my other screwdrivers/kits out of my bag.

I bought a good amount of ifixit tools a while back, if you want this kit just get the pro tech toolkit, has awesome other tools and a nice bag. I can recommend everything from them, the quality is really nice, especially considering the prices.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Yeah, I picked up the 26-bit set when it was on $5 special for the holidays last year, and I feel like I got a real steal. No pentalobes, but there isn't a Mac in my life right now anyway.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Since I'm mostly in networking, I don't need to bother with carrying a bunch of software. My toolbox (apart from the obvious laptop):

Network stuff:
Cable tester and beeper
USB->Serial adapter
Cisco console cable
The 5-in-1 network admin cable
Ethernet loopback plug
About half a dozen cables of various lengths.
A few meters of of cat5 cable without connectors.

Tools:
Screwdrivers
Side cutters
Snap-off blade knife
Crimp tool
Punchdown tool
Table knife - Great tool for any poking or prying you need to do. Cheap, durable and you don't care if it eventually gets bent or damaged.
Pens and markers.

Other:
Velcro and plastic zip ties
Cage nuts and screws.
Cage nut installation tool
Label maker with nylon tape for cables
Pocket flask of whisky for those jobs.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Tools
Fluke Network Analyzer and Toner wand
Keystone crimper
RJ11 and 45 Crimper
Jacket stripper
Auto Cable stripper
Punchdown
Snips
Screwdrivers
Power Injector(s)
Multimeter

Consumables
Keystones
Keystone mount - wallplate/box and surface mounts
Various length CAT5 cables
RJ45 heads
Electrical tape
Various sized electrical nut connectors
DisplayPort-->DVI adapters
DVI & VGA cable

Thanks for making this thread-- Bossman just told me to make a list of any supplies we need since the fiscal year just renewed, so this should help me consider things I might not have thought about otherwise.

CloFan fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jul 28, 2014

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

mindphlux posted:

? I mean, I'm saying I threw out every other toolkit / individual screwdriver in my kit, because this one works so well. I'm vouching for its quality.

yeah maybe I like my individual screwdrivers better, or 'think they're better quality' - but this is neat, tidy, compact, and doesn't annoy me the way almost every other X in 1 screwdriver does. if you travel to client sites a lot, it's important to find a balance, unless you want to carry around 5lbs of screwdrivers.

Yeah I misread your post..it was late. My brain processed that you were looking at buying those, not that you already owned them.

To add additional content to the post, other things I keep in my bag.

Portable USB charger
Verizon MiFi
A small zipper bag with all the different USB cables, and both Apple USB cables.
AAA and AA batteries.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Screwdrivers for motherboard standoffs and hex screws. Saves so much time and hassle.

vibur
Apr 23, 2004
That's a lot of stuff I don't have in my bag but I should.

Anyone have suggestions on the bag, though? I'm using the Black Box bag but it's starting to prove insufficient.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

rocket
Aug 16, 2002

LLLLLLLLLLL
LLLLLLLLLLL
LLLLLADIES!
I am a subcontractor so sometimes I am busy, or sometimes I have one job in a month that only takes me an hour.

I got one of these suitcase tool boxes on Ebay for $50 w/ free pick-up
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-military-ready-18inch-tool-cart-with-tsa/p-00959759000P
but it's kinda big for the tools I need for most jobs. But it might come in handy if/when I go into avionics.

Tools
13" Asus laptop - perfect size for field work
rj45 cable tester
mini phone line handset - never used but on my list of required tools
RJ45 Crimper, RJ11 sometimes for DSL
USB->Serial adapter
Cisco console cable
cross-over adapter
extendable poles for running cable
Punchdown
Snips
Side cutters
Snap-off blade knife
Screwdrivers
Rubber Mallet
cordless drill($44)
Brother USB Label Maker was on sale for $20

Consumables
Partial roll of Cat5e (usually for extending DSL circuits to a rack)
Keystone jacks
surface mount keystones (Biscuit Jack)
Various length CAT5 cables
RJ45 ends
Electrical tape - various colors to differentiate cables
Velcro and plastic zip ties - package of relatively big zip ties and package of various sizes

I have a Wavetech cable validator if I ever need to make custom cat5e cables
I need to buy a toner kit. Maybe Fluke?

eventually need to get a decent Fluke network tester, but can't afford it now.

rocket fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jul 28, 2014

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
I have to deal with plenty of non-IT related stuff (like signage or displays around a monitor and computer, etc) so my bag is probably quite a bit different than these. Also tools get lost (ie stolen) on site so virtually all of it is harbor freight stuff. But for giggles, and because I honestly dont even know comprehensively anymore I decided to look

- Zip ties
- A regular 16 oz hammer
- Wire strippers
- Like a 200 piece (est, too many) security bit set
- Scissors
- Butter knife :v: amazingly useful
- Plastic mallet
- Wire cutters of various sizes
- Pliers
- Channelocks
- Allen sets
- Full range of basic sockets (with badass composite ratchet that has become my favorite of all)
- Full regular sized screwdriver set
- Really small one handed clamps (Irwin knock offs)
- Magnet wand
- Electrical tape
- Gaff tape
- 1/2" clear tubing (???)
- Box cutter
- Lighter
- Small bit driver set similar to that ifixit one with flexible extension. Easily probably use this the most

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
I am new-ish to my current job - I am supposed to put all my tools on a shadow board, etch a serial number into them and check all is present and correct twice a day but I haven't got round to it yet...

I do however just lock them in my backup safe until I get that sorted so I just have the usual array of screw drivers / phone gear / cable testers etc.

I will also be buying a CCTV monitor and a security screw bit set as everything here has those annoying hex heads.

The worst part of all the restrictions I work with is I'm not allowed unapproved USB devices on site (i.e. nothing without encryption) so I can't even have a boot disk on my keyring or anything like that :(

rocket
Aug 16, 2002

LLLLLLLLLLL
LLLLLLLLLLL
LLLLLADIES!
There's a few tools I've found on Ebay I want to buy

Fluke Networks MT-8200-50A IntelliTone Pro 100 Toner and Probe Kit
Pocket Microscope
HD 720P Brand USB Endoscope Borescope Snake Scope Wire Camera
Knipex 10" Adjustable Pliers

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

Leatherman Skeletool, covers about 80% of use case scenarios for me.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
Multitool chat: I have a Gerber Diesel and it's basically the best.

However, I don't work on any hardware for work, just at home.

Edit: my work bag contains my laptop, a wireless hotspot, a micro usb cable, and a sweatshirt. :smugdog:

Double edit: and some beef jerky.

Comradephate fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jul 28, 2014

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Collateral Damage posted:

Since I'm mostly in networking, I don't need to bother with carrying a bunch of software. My toolbox (apart from the obvious laptop):

Network stuff:
The 5-in-1 network admin cable

this is great, I might do this. I used to carry around permutations of cables like this, but I rarely ever used them, so I just stopped. fixing up some adapters would totally let me carry everything I'd possibly need with a minimum of space. thanks for the link.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

mindphlux posted:

Still though, I just put it on a scale out of curiosity - with my ultrabook it weighs 17.4lbs altogether. :( :( :( I went to a tailor to get fitted for some shirts recently, and the tailor was like 'hummmm, that's odd. your left shoulder slumps about half an inch lower than your right - do you carry anything heavy on that shoulder often?' and I had to go to frown-town. :smith:

I've seen a couple of guys using wheeled cases and it seems like a great way to save your back.

Plus, if you have a lot of boxes (say, a stack of keyboards), you can use it as a makeshift trolley.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
I don't have this but some of my friends really like this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817379025&cm_re=Zalman_drive-_-17-379-025-_-Product

It basically allows you to put as many ISO's as your 2.5inch HDD can hold then boot from any one of them. It also allows you to double back it as a external USB drive for anything you want on it.

The cheaper option is using a Fashdrive or external that has YUMI installed on it, both work the same way some just like the physical buttons

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

mindphlux posted:

Ordered a set this morning. I came from the high voltage wireman world so I have an extensive electrical toolkit, honestly nothing does a first impression better than having a well stocked toolkit, not so much for the client but for the surrounding contractors.

If I may make a recommendation, Fluke Digital Toner, http://www.flukenetworks.com/datacom-cabling/copper-testing/IntelliTone-Pro-Toner-and-Probe
about half the time I am on site someone f*** up a patch cable/punch down or need to tone a line to steal for a controls/security purpose toning out in a 500+ patch bay is tough with those analog toners everyone seems to have. Best toner I have ever owned and works magic every time, can even check for phone service/continuity so no need for a phone-set in your bag. Pricey but well worth the investment.

And a professional suggestion, get a proper multi screwdriver. http://www.amazon.com/Klein-32500-Screwdriver-Driver-Cushion/dp/B0015SBILG IT folk are looked down in the contractor world, bust out actual trades tools and it amazing how much more friendly some guys are to work with.

Mr. Clark2 posted:

Leatherman Skeletool, covers about 80% of use case scenarios for me.

And this.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Im really excited for my pockethernet, apparently they outsourced the pcb design and the company failed, so its delayed, their manufacturing timeframe is also very short, but the device is like a cheaper Fluke Nettool.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I can heartily recommend this as a functional screwdriver set:

http://www-uk.wera.de/product_detail_uk.html?L=1&file=root_category_kraftform_kompakt_kraftform_kompakt_10_and_11_kk_10&lang=en-UK

Although I will probably swap some of the flat bits out for hex ones at some point. The Powerdsine PoE tester is a great thing to have as well, if you can't afford a Fluke does-literally-everything tester.

I've never found a better punch-down tool than a genuine ADC one, though they are reasonably pricey. I will also never go back to a cheap crimper after using a Paladin one.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jul 29, 2014

vibur
Apr 23, 2004
As I said earlier, I have the Black Box bag.

In the bag, though, I have:

Yes, I know some of those tools are duplicates. I should say that I don't own any of that - it's all my employer's.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
Most everything I keep on me has already been mentioned, but I have 2 tool recommendations.

A comfortable ratcheting screwdriver. Has a couple of the most common bits built in, but is compatible with the iFixit 54 Bit Driver Kit (using the 4 mm to 1/4" adapter)
A very tiny multitool that I keep on my keychain. Has saved me a trip back to wherever I left my bag quite a few time. I need to sharpen the knife and the scissors are pretty bad but absolutely great for the total size of the thing.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari
I posted a full list of my backpack (main gear) plus various "go bags" for VoIP, etc.

http://www.chasechristian.com/313/tech/my-backpack-with-bonus-car-trunk-action/

The top two items I recommend:

Zalman DVD emulator (USB 3.0 enclosure that emulates a DVD-ROM so you can boot from ISO files you store on the drive in a special folder)

Dualcomm USB-powered Gigabit network tap with PoE Passthrough (the very best for Wiresharking, powered by USB, gigabit speeds, works on phones/APs with PoE passthrough)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

On the zip tie subject, these are worth the increased price over normal ties any day of the week:

http://www.hellermanntyton.co.uk/site/products/cable-ties-inside-serrated/q18i/109-00120

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Thanks Ants posted:

On the zip tie subject, these are worth the increased price over normal ties any day of the week:

http://www.hellermanntyton.co.uk/site/products/cable-ties-inside-serrated/q18i/109-00120

Velcro. price has dropped 80% since 3 years ago. I buy it by the case of 100ft rolls locally and on larger jobs I end up spend about the same as I would on tie wraps, plus it's all reusable when you have to go back because a phone line/network drop got forgot about ruining all your nice cable porn.

http://www.amazon.com/Eclipse-902-035-Hook-Loop-Tape/dp/B002PI6NM4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1406768886&sr=8-1&keywords=velcro+roll+1%2F2

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

BlueBlazer posted:

Velcro. price has dropped 80% since 3 years ago. I buy it by the case of 100ft rolls locally and on larger jobs I end up spend about the same as I would on tie wraps, plus it's all reusable when you have to go back because a phone line/network drop got forgot about ruining all your nice cable porn.

http://www.amazon.com/Eclipse-902-035-Hook-Loop-Tape/dp/B002PI6NM4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1406768886&sr=8-1&keywords=velcro+roll+1%2F2

yeah, I can't imagine using ziptie unless you're pretty sure nothing will change for a couple years.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

mindphlux posted:

yeah, I can't imagine using ziptie unless you're pretty sure nothing will change for a couple years.

I bought some cheap velcro and after a couple of months in warm weather, it delaminated into two strips: hooks and loops.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I was aiming that more at tieing cables down behind patch panels, a 24 way panel with Cat6 punched in is a bit tight for velcro (which won't stop the cables pulling out the IDC terminations) and too fiddly for normal closed head zip ties to not be frustrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

mindphlux posted:

Zip ties are extremely cheap though, there's nothing wrong with just cutting and replacing them.

I prefer velcro ties for cable bundling, but I will use zip ties for things that need a tighter or more permanent fit, like securing power cables so they don't accidentally get yanked out (Someone make a latching IEC 60320 C13 connector thanks in advance)

^ securing cables to punch down panels is another good use for zip ties where velcro doesn't cut it.

• Locked thread