Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Anyone have recommendation for baabies first infrastructure course for non-it people?

I've been tasked with finding some sort of course that would teach the very very basics of IT Infrastructure to developers for free or at least cheaply, because barring that I'll have to make materials for it. Basically the course should just talk about there being routers/switches/hubs and they're connected via various methods using various protocols, maybe a bit about what an IP address is. Basically enough information where if I plopped a switch, a consumer modem/router, and some cables in front of someone they'd kind of know what they're starring at and some background on the tech in front of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Defenestrategy posted:

Anyone have recommendation for baabies first infrastructure course for non-it people?

I've been tasked with finding some sort of course that would teach the very very basics of IT Infrastructure to developers for free or at least cheaply, because barring that I'll have to make materials for it. Basically the course should just talk about there being routers/switches/hubs and they're connected via various methods using various protocols, maybe a bit about what an IP address is. Basically enough information where if I plopped a switch, a consumer modem/router, and some cables in front of someone they'd kind of know what they're starring at and some background on the tech in front of them.

You're looking for networking basics, not infrastructure. Sorry, not trying to be pedantic.

Probably Network+ is a good start. Subnets, switch/router/hub definitions, net masks, etc.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

skipdogg posted:

This isn't an attack against you or anything, but I'm curious as to why it seems IT is the gatekeeper of software for business use. I know orgs of different size have different structures and things like that, but in my org IT is not the gatekeeper of this stuff. We're here to support the business. If HR comes to us and says we're buying this software, we help them by providing the infrastructure, working with the software company to deploy it, etc. We don't dictate anything to the business except our supported platforms.

Like I said, not an attack or anything, just seems interesting that an HR Director would have to get IT approval for something they want to do.

The I in IT is "information". The storage of information, the transmission of information, the access of information, the availability of information. That's an IT team's purview.

How does this app handle authentication? Does this app support our SSO options? How do we control and audit access to the information within the app? Does the app ensure the information is stored securely, encrypted, and backed up properly? How and where is the information transmitted? Does it have cloud backup options that don't meet our information policies? Does it work with our OS / hardware / other software? Will it mine bitcoins to pay for itself (looking at you, oCam)? Is there already software that performs this same task? How is this app updated if there's a vulnerability or other issue? Who is provisioning licenses and keeping track of count?

Now, at the end of the day, it's the users' and the company's information. If the CEO wants to store everyone's HR info on Pastebin, IT likely lacks the executive authority to override that. But IT should be part of the discussion, at least.

The Dreamer
Oct 15, 2013

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
We got a bunch of new C-Levels recently who have decided our controls for things like projects, new vendors, and new software are too restrictive, or take too long. So now a lot of them do an end-run around IT/InfoSec on contracts and new systems and then wonder why none of their systems can easily talk to each other. Or why they have to use one-off credentials for their new piece of software rather than just using Azure SSO.

Because you didn't know to asks those questions before you signed the contract you morons. Which is why you should loop us in if you want to start using new software. And no we're not setting up ADFS because you're special new software doesn't support Azure yet.

The Dreamer fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Aug 27, 2020

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

CompTIA has an even more basic certification called ITF (IT Fundamentals) that might be a sort of all inclusive thing you could show.

https://www.comptia.org/certifications/it-fundamentals#examdetails

Surely there is material on youtube for it

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

George H.W. oval office posted:

CompTIA has an even more basic certification called ITF (IT Fundamentals) that might be a sort of all inclusive thing you could show.

https://www.comptia.org/certifications/it-fundamentals#examdetails

Surely there is material on youtube for it

This is what I need. The Net+ is a few levels above what I need to convey. They need to know an ip address, is an address that allows other machines on the same network to communicate with each other. They don't really need to know IP4 v IP6, how to do addressing, CIDR, etc, etc.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

O365 Tech posted:

Also, kindly raise your suggestion to the Microsoft Word User Voice. This is a platform where ideas meet our Word development team, with viable ideas reviewed for inclusion in future updates.

I would appreciate it if you could raise your feedback via the link below:
https://word.uservoice.com/forums/271331-word-for-the-web

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Defenestrategy posted:

This is what I need. The Net+ is a few levels above what I need to convey. They need to know an ip address, is an address that allows other machines on the same network to communicate with each other. They don't really need to know IP4 v IP6, how to do addressing, CIDR, etc, etc.

Does it cover ports and possibly firewall basics? Because that's an even bigger deal than just "IP address".

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Defenestrategy posted:

I mean, this may be a case of "Auto mechanic thinks everyone needs to really understand carburetors*" thing but shouldn't a dev know at least something about this sort of thing already?

Maybe get Mike Meyer's current A+ book (the Gold Book) and teach from that?

*: (or whatever %CAR_PART%) :shrug:

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

madsushi posted:

The I in IT is "information". The storage of information, the transmission of information, the access of information, the availability of information. That's an IT team's purview.

How does this app handle authentication? Does this app support our SSO options? How do we control and audit access to the information within the app? Does the app ensure the information is stored securely, encrypted, and backed up properly? How and where is the information transmitted? Does it have cloud backup options that don't meet our information policies? Does it work with our OS / hardware / other software? Will it mine bitcoins to pay for itself (looking at you, oCam)? Is there already software that performs this same task? How is this app updated if there's a vulnerability or other issue? Who is provisioning licenses and keeping track of count?

Now, at the end of the day, it's the users' and the company's information. If the CEO wants to store everyone's HR info on Pastebin, IT likely lacks the executive authority to override that. But IT should be part of the discussion, at least.

You guys are missing my point. I'm well aware of Shadow IT, the I means information, and all the other points you brought up. I have been doing this for like 16 years now, been around the block plenty of times.

I just don't get organizations where IT dictates things to the business. If an HR director came to us and said we want to start using this software solution, we create a project and go through all the stuff that you all have covered. Our response is not "lol good luck getting that approved" or "you need to justify why you want to use this software to IT". Why should IT have any input in what software HR uses?

This person didn't sign up for Workday with the company credit card and 6 months later ask to integrate it into IT systems. There's no Shadow IT, it was a seemingly valid request from a senior-ish member of management (directors have some pull in my org, but they're not VP's).

IT should be helping to facilitate that request, not dictate what tools the HR department gets to use. Maybe it's just the way my current org is setup, but IT is here to facilitate IT needs of the business. If a factory manager or engineering director comes to us, we make it work in a supported frame work. They're the ones that make the company money and create and ship products. IT is 100% a cost center in our org. Don't get me wrong they don't get to dictate everything, we have supported hardware and software platforms, authentication standards and make sure the laundry list of other things gets taken care of but all that gets hashed out in the planning and implementation stages of the project.

Boba Pearl posted:

What's shadow it?

My favorite personal example of ShadowIT is when a Director of a 15 person team signed up for NetSuite CRM and used it for over a year while charging the cost to their company credit card every month. We found out about it when they came to ask IT to setup SSO for them. Contracts were not reviewed by legal, paying for the service on the credit card broke company policies, etc. We had both Salesforce and SugarCRM available to use, but this guy decided he wanted to use NetSuite instead. Developers setting up their own AWS accounts is another big one.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

I used to have "development should really know this already" feelings constantly, especially about git, until I spent a couple of months actually working on a development feature team for an enterprise product, in an enterprise language, etc. It took me an entire week to get my development environment set up, and this was considered fast. There's enough bullshit involved in your standard java codebase that they do know to justify them not really understanding what a TCP source port is and that being totally OK.

You can adjust expectations up and down based on specialization (release/deploy team should know what a source port is, probably), but, the depth of knowledge required to produce feature work competently basically lowers the "stuff this person should know about computers" bar so much that you have to dig it out of the ground. IMHO anyway.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

skipdogg posted:

I just don't get organizations where IT dictates things to the business. If an HR director came to us and said we want to start using this software solution, we create a project and go through all the stuff that you all have covered. Our response is not "lol good luck getting that approved" or "you need to justify why you want to use this software to IT". Why should IT have any input in what software HR uses?

Because its the job? I agree that folks don't get to have a lovely attitude and pretend that they are they have any shred of final say. I don't think that kind of thing benefits anyone. But IT as a whole has some obligations to more than what a middle manager director "wants".

skipdogg posted:

This person didn't sign up for Workday with the company credit card and 6 months later ask to integrate it into IT systems. There's no Shadow IT, it was a seemingly valid request from a senior-ish member of management (directors have some pull in my org, but they're not VP's).

IT should be helping to facilitate that request, not dictate what tools the HR department gets to use. Maybe it's just the way my current org is setup, but IT is here to facilitate IT needs of the business. If a factory manager or engineering director comes to us, we make it work in a supported frame work. They're the ones that make the company money and create and ship products. IT is 100% a cost center in our org. Don't get me wrong they don't get to dictate everything, we have supported hardware and software platforms, authentication standards and make sure the laundry list of other things gets taken care of but all that gets hashed out in the planning and implementation stages of the project.

I think you two are agreeing here?

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

IT should provide the best possible tools for the users to be able to do their jobs within the constraints of security, cost, sustainability, and redundancy. It's fine to say no to a software request, but have an actual reason instead of being a brick wall and letting chaotic, messy and risky shadow IT take over. If you can't be receptive to change and provide your users with the best available tools within your circumstances you're a lovely IT department and hindering people's ability to do their jobs.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I think the minor disagreement here is that angry armadillo wrote their post in a way that came across a bit like they were leaning into the BOFH stereotype, and skipdogg doesn't see ITs role as being that.

Having worked under someone who loved to say no to people and then get wound up when they'd come up with their own workarounds, it's much easier to get them coming to you early on in the software evaluation/acquisition process if you don't have a reputation, deserved or otherwise, for denying requests that other people see as legitimate or even essential to be able to do their job.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

Thanks Ants posted:

I think the minor disagreement here is that angry armadillo wrote their post in a way that came across a bit like they were leaning into the BOFH stereotype, and skipdogg doesn't see ITs role as being that.

That's fair, I agree with that. The OP's popcorn comments shouldn't be the approach / relationship.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I also want to clarify I think angry armadillo is being cool and helpful by trying to help this person through the process at their org, definitely not a shot against aa at all, the environment is what it is. Yeah it was mostly me venting about the BOFH stereotype IT people and the folks to treat IT as their own personal kingdom. Those are the people that cause shadow IT to happen.

Another great shadow IT story. A few roles back I supported a bunch of software engineers who work in various Linux environments. Our VPN solution at the time was a Juniper SSL solution that was a pita to setup and use on Linux (openjdk, firefox, icetea) It was a long time ago. These engineers asked and begged for a friendlier easier to use VPN client. Engineering even offered to pay for it out of their own hardware budget. Management denied the request. The office they work in had lots of external internet connections. We make telecom equipment and have to test it out so there's a bunch of circuits in their lab that IT doesn't control. They ended up grabbing a spare workstation, setting up their own VPN server and bridging an external internet connection with the corporate network so they can use a VPN client that didn't suck.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Sickening posted:

Because its the job? I agree that folks don't get to have a lovely attitude and pretend that they are they have any shred of final say. I don't think that kind of thing benefits anyone. But IT as a whole has some obligations to more than what a middle manager director "wants".

It's not so much approval by IT as acting as the informed resource so the people making decisions on whether to approve it or not know if the nerds think it's a good idea and what they recommend.

The CEO or whoever can and will sometimes override your objection, but it's your job to make sure that you've advised them on whether or not you think it's a good idea from a technical perspective.

Like do you really need 5 CRM applications? Do we need to buy a new ERP system because the old one is filled with trash and no one wants to fix the processes that fill it with trash? Things like that.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Cloud app security is maybe the best the best security focused solution Microsoft has ever put together and its a shame how many people know it exists.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Nuclearmonkee posted:

It's not so much approval by IT as acting as the informed resource so the people making decisions on whether to approve it or not know if the nerds think it's a good idea and what they recommend.

The CEO or whoever can and will sometimes override your objection, but it's your job to make sure that you've advised them on whether or not you think it's a good idea from a technical perspective.

Like do you really need 5 CRM applications? Do we need to buy a new ERP system because the old one is filled with trash and no one wants to fix the processes that fill it with trash? Things like that.

Thank you for repeating my points back to me I guess.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Sickening posted:

Thank you for repeating my points back to me I guess.

meant to reply to the skipdogg post

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I just love when users are having Solidworks problems and now I'm suppose to be a Solidworks expert??? No I don't know why the gently caress your model is doing that.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Schadenboner posted:

I mean, this may be a case of "Auto mechanic thinks everyone needs to really understand carburetors*" thing but shouldn't a dev know at least something about this sort of thing already?

I'm forever surprised by the stuff the devs don't know when the core product is a niche piece of network monitoring software, but on the other hand it keeps me employed so....if they say I need to create a baabies first IT course I'mma gonna make baabies first IT course :shrug:

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Sickening posted:

Cloud app security is maybe the best the best security focused solution Microsoft has ever put together and its a shame how many people know it exists.

Migrating our files to SharePoint Online with Teams tacked on top (and moving homedrives to OneDrive) has basically eliminated the need for most of our users to even have to have a VPN anymore. It's a loooot fewer doors into our network and makes WFH a lot more flexible without the security nightmare.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

klosterdev posted:

Migrating our files to SharePoint Online with Teams tacked on top (and moving homedrives to OneDrive) has basically eliminated the need for most of our users to even have to have a VPN anymore. It's a loooot fewer doors into our network and makes WFH a lot more flexible without the security nightmare.

Those are the areas it really seems to shine. Policies to cover sharing of files in teams/onedrive/sharepoint outside of the org (if you allow it). DLP to cover the classification of files and viability of where they are going. The actions you can take on when alerts are triggered.

My org has the need to share files outside the org in onedrive/teams. They also need to chat outside the org in teams. Its nice to monitor all of it without also needing to manage the endpoints to do it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Azure Information Protection is a great tool

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

Azure Information Protection is a great tool

It really is, but my org is too dumb to roll it out. I was talking about it to some friends the other day and I don't see a way in which this doesn't completely end insiders leaking documents dumps.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Internet Explorer posted:

I'm generally more of a VDI/sysadmin kinda guy, but I am leading a SCCM to Intune project right now. My guess is that there are a lot of companies like mine out there who got caught with their pants down and took for granted that everyone would always be on the LAN/VPN and are also migrating from SCCM to Intune and a more modem stack that is decentralized.

I can't imagine how difficult it is to push patches to endpoints that are over VPN.

Looking at SCCM and Intune. Is this something you just picked up on your own? How difficult is this to tackle?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Gabriel S. posted:

I can't imagine how difficult it is to push patches to endpoints that are over VPN.

Looking at SCCM and Intune. Is this something you just picked up on your own? How difficult is this to tackle?

As annoying as it can be, I am very grateful that all of the systems I manage are on campus and almost exclusively ethernet.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It really is, but my org is too dumb to roll it out. I was talking about it to some friends the other day and I don't see a way in which this doesn't completely end insiders leaking documents dumps.

A customer brought it up with us when they were asking loads of questions about how some of their VIP staff could work from home but on the family PC rather than their laptop, but without enrolling that PC in any sort of device management and the answer was pretty much “you protect the individual files also what you are proposing is crazy”

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Gabriel S. posted:

If you don't already have SCCM, you don't need it, you're just looking at Intune. At that point the hardest part is just setting up Azure AD, Azure AD Connect, and Azure AD Hybrid Joining devices.

Keep in mind that Microsoft just rebranded all this stuff so Intune is now Microsoft Endpoint Manager and SCCM is Microsoft Endpoint Manager Config Manager. Microsoft will say till they are blue in the face that Intune isn't replacing SCCM, but anyone who believes that is dumb.

It's not super simple but if you're not converting from SCCM it's not hard. I am working with a small team but I am the most senior. I've not touched either product before 6 months ago.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Aug 28, 2020

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I pushed Cisco AMP to 400 VPN connected computers and WSUS patches without issue.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

If you don't already have SCCM, you don't need it, you're just looking at Intune. At that point the hardest part is just setting up Azure AD, Azure AD Connect, and Azure AD Hybrid Joining devices.

Keep in mind that Microsoft just rebranded all this stuff so Intune is now Microsoft Endpoint Manager and SCCM is Microsoft Endpoint Manager Config Manager. Microsoft will say till they are blue in the gave that Intune isn't replacing SCCM, but anyone who believes that is dumb.

It's not super simple but if you're not converting from SCCM it's not hard. I am working with a small team but I am the most senior. I've not touched either product before 6 months ago.

That's what I needed to know and on the same subject what can't Intune do that SCCM can?

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Aug 28, 2020

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Nuclearmonkee posted:

I’ve been there

Clean up your exist stuff and it would...work

Sales wants a new CRM, engineering wants a different one, and another division of the company wants one too but they all need to share data but nobody wants people to see each other’s customers and blah blah

ITS THE RESPONSIBILITY FOR IT TO FIND OUR SOLUTION

No just pick one and I’ll implement it

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Sickening posted:

Because "business use" isn't always decided by individual department worker bees. Its more likely solely decided by company senior leadership. Standardizing what software is approved (and how) for business use is sometimes necessary to make sure the software is supported properly and risk is evaluated and/or accepted. You want it patched right? You want to know who to call when you have an issue? You probably want to also decide whose cost center this stuff goes again? Who is handling the business agreement, licensing, and other contract stuff? Who is going to make sure the account that owns the software isn't someone's gmail?

It does help everyone involved if IT has a better attitudes about all of it though.

:same:

If you don't understand the risks to shadow IT, that might be the better question to ask.

Yeah, at my company they set up some stuff with Sharepoint for Marketing. Both groups had discussions about what the goals were, neither group got everything they wanted but from what I've gathered, IT got some quality of life stuff to make managing Sharepoint suck less, Marketing got much of what they wanted and the goal of reducing sales persons excuses about why they had the wrong spec sheets was met. Everyone seems to feel the project was successful. But I've seen how loving rare that can be. Sometimes it's other departments treating IT badly, sometimes it's IT being pricks. Sometimes it's upper management encouraging knife fights between fiefdoms.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Gabriel S. posted:

That's what I needed to know and on the same subject what can't Intune do that SCCM can?

I'm not an expert, so I couldn't give you a full list. Our SCCM implementation is very basic and our answer to that question is "nothing, and if we find something we'll do without until it gets added to Intune."

What do you use for deploying software and settings now? How involved are you in the Microsoft ecosystem? The more you put into the Microsoft ecosystem these days, the more you get out of it.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

skipdogg posted:

Developers setting up their own AWS accounts is another big one.

“Agrikk, we need help identifying the owners of the 18 accounts that we have running in AWS. Can you have a look?”

*goes through legal, verified that requestor is valid and authorized for this information, runs query to generate report of requested information*

“Here you go.”

“Wait! There are, like, seventy accounts here!”

“Yep. There are all the accounts that had yourcompany.com as a root email address.”

“We have fifty two accounts that we didn’t know about?”

“Apparently. Fifty two accounts paying retail prices because they aren’t attached to the enterprise discount you negotiated. And we have no way of knowing how many additional YourCompany accounts are out there but registered as FirstnameLastname.YourCompanyDepartment@gmail.com

“Oh no...”

I’ve had almost twenty customers. Every single one has been gobsmacked when I bring this up.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Makes you wonder what the gently caress management / accounting is doing.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Makes you wonder what the gently caress management / accounting is doing.

Last client I worked for did not have accounting for departments individually. Managers got budget they could spend any way they wanted to as long as it didn’t exceed their budgets. That’s the only thing accounting checked.

There was a licensing/buying department but it wasn’t mandatory to go through them. Many departments didn’t bother and as long as company goals were met nobody cared.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

teksystems recruiter reached out with a position that sounds interesting on paper, how seriously should I take it? I feel like they come up a little bit ago, but don't remember what the consensus was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

The Fool posted:

teksystems recruiter reached out with a position that sounds interesting on paper, how seriously should I take it? I feel like they come up a little bit ago, but don't remember what the consensus was

Permatemp or are they doing direct placement?

If it's temp it's only worth it if you have no other option, if it's a direct placement then it's not meaningfully better/worse than dealing with HR at the company.

:shrug: