Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Do you guys find those extra large monitors easier to work on compared to multiple smaller monitors? I've never actually used one and there's no way my org would buy one for anyone but I'm still curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

J posted:

Do you guys find those extra large monitors easier to work on compared to multiple smaller monitors? I've never actually used one and there's no way my org would buy one for anyone but I'm still curious.

A little nicer.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

J posted:

I like having both. I have a 34" ultrawide under two old 20" displays I've had for years. It's great because I can have a fullscreen game on the main screen and/or a fullscreen movie on one of the secondary ones while still doing things on the remaining monitor(s).

For actual work where most apps don't need exclusive fullscreen I'd generally prioritize a single large monitor over multiple all else being equal, but all else is not always equal.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
On salarychat I’m curious, what sort of company/position is pulling in this kind of pay? Was this advertised pay or did you have to negotiate significantly?

I’m at a smallish company and I know our pay is a little below market, but even looking at larger companies in the area on Glassdoor I don’t often see tech positions outside of ‘senior’ positions (and management) reporting pay of $150k+.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

I like a single monitor. I generally work from bed though with a laptop but I’ll plug in to the monitor when I gotta reference poo poo and code/computer janitor. I’m a heavy user of spaces the Mac virtual desktop though.

I think I would like a dedicated slack/messages monitor though. One of those thin vertical ones.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

On salarychat I’m curious, what sort of company/position is pulling in this kind of pay? Was this advertised pay or did you have to negotiate significantly?

I’m at a smallish company and I know our pay is a little below market, but even looking at larger companies in the area on Glassdoor I don’t often see tech positions outside of ‘senior’ positions (and management) reporting pay of $150k+.

I might break 200 this year with bonuses and my base is 170. I’ve been in IT for 10+ years and I do cloud consulting. I make the companies I work for money and have a bill rate of ~400/hr right now. Based on everything and everyone I know, non senior people making 150k or more is largely fantastical bullshit unless there is a hyper specific industry I’m not aware of. I’ve never been able to find FTE consulting for anywhere near what I’m making right now and I’m operating under the assumption it’s because of the insane amounts of PE pumped into my current company and there is some kinda juice before a sale deal going on and I’m riding the wave.

I just left a mega huge company as a director and I was making 140 with a 10% guaranteed bonus for reference. I know some folks at FAANG companies and I’ve heard rumors of huge paydays but no one I know has gotten one. I dunno. I wouldn’t hold my breath for what I’m making again and I kinda doubt there’s tons of folks out there banking 150+ based on statistics. You want to make that much quick IT isn’t the place to do it, get a finance degree

i am a moron fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Feb 24, 2021

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I think its easier to find a middle manager to throw a director title at then there is people who push "commit". Its probably more common to find managers who make less than the folks they manage than ever before.

There is also this weird inconsistency with what makes someone "SR". There might be different orgs out there that structure things different, but I feel like "SR" in someone's title makes up like 90% of all the non-manager staff. The rest are either interns, entry level whatever, or the rare engineer/analyst/administrator that isn't SR.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

I put whatever buzzword is paying the most in my LinkedIn profile and fake it so they pay me lots of money.

Works pretty well so far.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

ML Bitcoin k8s devops golang rust.

Just keep adding them on.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Is digital transformation still cool or am I behind the power curve again

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

i am a moron posted:

Is digital transformation still cool or am I behind the power curve again

I don’t know what that is so you’re either way behind or way ahead. Easily worth another 50k either way

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Yea honestly if you wanna make some loving bank right now learn COBOL

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

If you want to find IT Jobs that pay well you have to apply at Fortune 500s or any company that's in demand not necessarily popular in a large metro area. San Francisco, Dallas, NYC, LA, Minneapolis, etc.

This comes from another Goon Cloud IT Consultant.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Also don’t work for sepist

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
I only have a year and a half in the industry but it's much better in terms of treatment and pay than anything else I have done. I make more than almost all of my friends with degrees. It's like living in a weird hallucination.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

If you want to find IT Jobs that pay well you have to apply at Fortune 500s or any company that's in demand not necessarily popular in a large metro area. San Francisco, Dallas, NYC, LA, Minneapolis, etc.

This comes from another Goon Cloud IT Consultant.

Chi Town baby. Also disagree on F500s they have corporate governance poo poo to follow usually cause they’re public and have a harder time paying FTEs boatloads of cash in my experience

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

i am a moron posted:

Also disagree on F500s they have corporate governance poo poo to follow usually cause they’re public and have a harder time paying FTEs boatloads of cash in my experience

That's the exact opposite of my experience.

Being a vendor, contractor, etc. is always going to pay less. Don't get me wrong, they might not be paid poorly but all the $120k+ base salary with RSUs and bonuses in my experience has always been from working as an FTE.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

jaegerx posted:

Also don’t work for sepist

My REMOTE underlings make between 170k - 270k so working for me ain't that bad lol.

As for the original question, the salarys posted on dice and recruiter spam are low hanging fruit, companies will pay more for top talent. Just set the bar high on your salary expectations when interviewing and hopefully someone bites.

As for FAANG, they're lower starting salaries offset with RSUs. I have a friend who is a principal at Amazon, he took the job @ 150k but they gave him 250k in RSUs and now those RSUs are worth well over a million, nevermind the continued RSUs he has been receiving for the past 6 years.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Here in Canada we merely make “very good” salaries but the whole social safety net and free healthcare are really nice.

Had to get a bunch of tests done this weekend, walked in walked out and that’s the end of it!

I also called my doctor on a Thursday and got an ultrasound and mammogram on Monday, literally no wait time. I got to the doctor’s office early and they actually got to my appointment early. Our healthcare system is loving amazing and every time I’m tempted to work in the US for stupid money (and i get the occasional offer!) I’m reminded of how many people are broken by evil insurance and pharmaceutical companies to make salaries like ours possible.

Not to yuck anyone’s yum I’m just feeling radical tonight, the world is unfair, shine like a diamond, make money for you and your kin, lord knows we’ll need it to survive the coming climate apocalypse.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

The Iron Rose posted:

Here in Canada we merely make “very good” salaries but the whole social safety net and free healthcare are really nice.

Had to get a bunch of tests done this weekend, walked in walked out and that’s the end of it!

I also called my doctor on a Thursday and got an ultrasound and mammogram on Monday, literally no wait time. I got to the doctor’s office early and they actually got to my appointment early. Our healthcare system is loving amazing and every time I’m tempted to work in the US for stupid money (and i get the occasional offer!) I’m reminded of how many people are broken by evil insurance and pharmaceutical companies to make salaries like ours possible.

Not to yuck anyone’s yum I’m just feeling radical tonight, the world is unfair, shine like a diamond, make money for you and your kin, lord knows we’ll need it to survive the coming climate apocalypse.

Oh yeah? My city declared our water is safe to drink today. So get hosed you Eskimo

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

That's the exact opposite of my experience.

Being a vendor, contractor, etc. is always going to pay less. Don't get me wrong, they might not be paid poorly but all the $120k+ base salary with RSUs and bonuses in my experience has always been from working as an FTE.

Who do you think makes more: a director at Accenture or the director at the bank they’re plundering?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

i am a moron posted:

Who do you think makes more: a director at Accenture or the director at the bank they’re plundering?

Accenture because a director at a bank is a receptionist. Aren’t they all VPs and poo poo?

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

The Iron Rose posted:

Accenture because a director at a bank is a receptionist. Aren’t they all VPs and poo poo?

VPs are street filth, executive directors are first line management and managing directors are middle managers.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

The Iron Rose posted:

It's worth checking out reciprocal arrangements that the US has with your country. I'm pretty sure that at least for Australian citizens, the government will pick up the tab and apply Medicare billing to stays in a US hospital, because holy gently caress American healthcare.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

NPR Journalizard posted:

It's worth checking out reciprocal arrangements that the US has with your country. I'm pretty sure that at least for Australian citizens, the government will pick up the tab and apply Medicare billing to stays in a US hospital, because holy gently caress American healthcare.

I’m a dual citizen and I’m 25 so I still actually get my father’s excellent government healthcare insurance. And FAANG has decent bennies anyways (and the salary to cover any gaps). It’s my soul I’m worried about, not bankruptcy. I think Netflix is like the only one with a non evil business model.

I think you do need to get insurance ahead of time when travelling otherwise though, at least per my cursory googling. I know a few people who never travel to the states without travellers medical insurance thanks to that one Michael Moore documentary.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

i am a moron posted:

I don't know but my experience with IT Consulting the FTEs often make the big bucks. YMMV. :shrug:

The Iron Rose posted:

Here in Canada we merely make very good salaries but the whole social safety net and free healthcare are really nice.

I'd trade my high salary for a functional government that tries to take of people but I don't have a degree. :smith:

Sepist posted:

My REMOTE underlings make between 170k - 270k so working for me ain't that bad lol.

As for the original question, the salarys posted on dice and recruiter spam are low hanging fruit, companies will pay more for top talent. Just set the bar high on your salary expectations when interviewing and hopefully someone bites.

As for FAANG, they're lower starting salaries offset with RSUs. I have a friend who is a principal at Amazon, he took the job @ 150k but they gave him 250k in RSUs and now those RSUs are worth well over a million, nevermind the continued RSUs he has been receiving for the past 6 years.

I'll bite, are you hiring? :lol:

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Sepist posted:

I hate the RSU vesting periods though. Amazon's is orders of magnitude worse than others, for all intents and purposes it's like 0% 0% 0% 100% (joking, but you get my point)

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

I'll bite, are you hiring? :lol:

We just finished a hiring round unfortunately

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Biowarfare posted:

I hate the RSU vesting periods though. Amazon's is orders of magnitude worse than others, for all intents and purposes it's like 0% 0% 0% 100% (joking, but you get my point)

Isn't Amazon notorious for getting rid of people right before that final vesting date? Not sure where I read that, don't want to spread rumors if that's not the case.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Sepist posted:

We just finished a hiring round unfortunately

:cry:

I don't think I know enough about Kubernetes or Containers but it does sound like a lot of fun!

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

https://twitter.com/SwiftOnSecurity/status/1364424168901545988?s=20

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

:cry:

I don't think I know enough about Kubernetes or Containers but it does sound like a lot of fun!

Learning tools is good for your resume and all but your goal should not be to understand a specific tool in depth. It should be to understand what problems you’re trying to solve and how to apply a variety of tools to achieve that solution.

Or at least that’s what I say in my standup and 1:1s. Everyone nods, looks impressed, and I escape janky bash scripts calling kubectl for another week.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

I don't know but my experience with IT Consulting the FTEs often make the big bucks. YMMV. :shrug:

That’s what I’m saying... I think?

The Iron Rose posted:

I was thinking of a highly specific bank I worked for where VP meant... I dunno VP. Like huge orgs of 1k people. Not the poo poo at Chase where there’s a million of them. Anyways, my experience is a revenue producer will outearn the hell out of their titular peers shepherding their cost centers.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

i am a moron posted:

I was thinking of a highly specific bank I worked for where VP meant... I dunno VP. Like huge orgs of 1k people. Not the poo poo at Chase where there’s a million of them. Anyways, my experience is a revenue producer will outearn the hell out of their titular peers shepherding their cost centers.

Definitely this. I don't think I could handle it, but if your main goal is earning more pre-sales engineering is the way to go.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Came here to post this. I've been going there for 20 years - admittedly, a lot less lately, which of course is the problem - and worked near one of them at my first job out of college (ask me about eating lunch at the in-store cafe more days than not for 3 years - spoiler alert, it wasn't great). Lotta nostalgia about both the good bits, i.e. they had decent prices and a lot of random small useful parts & cables, and the many, many, MANY bad bits, see under 3/4 of the stock of an item on the shelves being clearly already returned merchandise, clerks noticing you picking up an expensive item and following you around the store harassing you to get commission, and the aforementioned lunches. I don't know, I think it does end up being a net negative because now if I need a last minute part, I have nowhere to go and even same-day Prime may not be helpful considering it's not available on lots of small items and is still ~8 hours from your order placement to delivery.

Bezos is coming for all of the bricks I suppose. Please, Jeffy B, kill Walmart next.

Lets Get Patchy
Aug 8, 2006
It'll probably never get to the 150k+ range of pay enforcing cyber/infosec regulatory compliance in the community banking sector, but I'm totally digging the benefits and work/life balance.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Meanwhile I'm over here learning C programming with 18 year olds in an undergrad program my employer is paying for. I make about 60k a year in SC, but tuition reimbursement amounts to about 10k extra plus whatever fringe benefits a state employee gets. I could make more in private industry but I have a low stress job with no overtime requirements so that really makes up for the lower compensation.

Now that I think about it, I'm not sure what my long term goals are other than finish my undergrad then maybe try to get into a more senior role at my job. I think the next step would be for me to get some SysAdmin certs, but I won't be finishing my degree program for another 4 to 5 years. Right now I'm just going to focus on putting any salary increases into my retirement account and trying to get good grades in school while I work my job.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Vargatron posted:

Meanwhile I'm over here learning C programming with 18 year olds in an undergrad program my employer is paying for.

Are you doing CompSci, MIS, or what program are you taking?

How are you you finding the class?

tortilla_chip
Jun 13, 2007

k-partite
levels.fyi for FANG compensation data. In my experience trim 30% off the salary for low cost of living states. RSU grants don't seem to be affected much by working remote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

tortilla_chip posted:

levels.fyi for FANG compensation data. In my experience trim 30% off the salary for low cost of living states. RSU grants don't seem to be affected much by working remote.

I’m now furiously googling how to become a principal engineer at Google, fuckin’ A.