Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

LochNessMonster posted:

Heard someone say “I don’t understand linux and don’t want to learn it either. I just want to work with docker and k8s”.

:psyduck:
If they get really good at Windows containers, send them over!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
I would quite like a job that let me work with Linux :( I put together a jellyfin and dockarr set up, that's probably 99% of what I need to know right?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

The Iron Rose posted:

be sure you and your devs aren’t not spending more time on optimizing/waiting than you’re saving in compute!

This is the key imo. Folks can get tunnel vision and will waste a shitton of time and energy to save on costs for something which is not even a rounding error in the big picture. If you want to save on costs, absolutely go save on costs. The average large org will have wastage measured in millions due to duplication and madness. Yes it's harder to fix those, and it's probably not your devs who need to do it so stop bothering them about trimming a thousand bucks off the next AWS bill while you drop a cool 3 million on another enterprise reporting tool that does the same thing as your other 20 million worth of enterprise reporting tools.

If you're running some giant GPU backed instance somewhere doing nothing all day, yeah fix that sure, but otherwise, don't you have better things to worry about?

No I'm not bitter. Ok maybe a little.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Mar 28, 2024

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

tokin opposition posted:

I would quite like a job that let me work with Linux :( I put together a jellyfin and dockarr set up, that's probably 99% of what I need to know right?

use it as your main machine without a backup for a year

you will learn a TON

ziasquinn fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Mar 28, 2024

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I have gotten poo poo done all week and plan on getting nothing done all week. My 2 month old son got diagnosed with albinism and is going to be legally blind and it has had me reeling since I first heard.

Thankfully my work has been very understanding but I need to shake this so I can actually get poo poo done again. It’s all really made me want to double down on studying and getting certs and just generally trying to advance my career so I can have fat stacks of cash to make his life easier.

I know being blind isn’t the worst thing that can happen and he’s at least mentally all there but I just can’t shake this feeling of anxiety and worry yet.

I need a project to enrage me. Probably time to spin up IAM roles Anywhere or something at work.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
I am very sorry to hear that. I have my first child on the way in July, and thoughts like that pop into my head all the time. “What if they are blind?” “What if they are deaf?” “What if they have autism?”

And then I think I’m a lovely person for thinking that because of course I will love them and take care of them no matter what, but I also don’t WANT them to have anything wrong with them…and it just kinda cycles around and around if I let it.

As you said, use that energy to get some certs, hop some jobs, and advance that career to make more money.

Having a child on the way has definitely kicked off something different in me in terms of “The game has now permanently changed, and I need to make sure I am doing everything I can to help give my family a comfortable life.”

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I need a project to enrage me.

Not to downplay the very real impact on you and your family, but that's a gem of a thread title. Typo of the year candidate.

Your kid is gonna be okay.
You're gonna be okay.
So's your SO.
If you need anything, even just an ear while you rage at God and fortune, reach out.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I have gotten poo poo done all week and plan on getting nothing done all week. My 2 month old son got diagnosed with albinism and is going to be legally blind and it has had me reeling since I first heard.

Thankfully my work has been very understanding but I need to shake this so I can actually get poo poo done again. It’s all really made me want to double down on studying and getting certs and just generally trying to advance my career so I can have fat stacks of cash to make his life easier.

I know being blind isn’t the worst thing that can happen and he’s at least mentally all there but I just can’t shake this feeling of anxiety and worry yet.

I need a project to enrage me. Probably time to spin up IAM roles Anywhere or something at work.

Take care of yourself, goon. You all will be okay and work will be there for the rest of your life.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I dated a girl with albinism for a few years, and it honestly wasn't that big a deal for her. She was legally blind, which is just "worse than 20/200" in the US. She was extremely near-sighted, so when she read she was holding the books about 6 inches from her face. The biggest detriment was no driving. Other than that it was staying out of the sun as much as possible and always having a tube of sunscreen on-hand. The only external medical device she used was glasses. I think she HAD cane-training for when she walked in busy streets by herself, but that was the extent of it. I don't think she even learned braille. Last I heard she was a DBA out west somewhere.

Depending on the variety, it could be frankly some pretty minor annoyances and not a major life-limiting condition. Take it one day at a time, and take full advantage of whatever programs are available.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I can tell by your post that you’re going to proactively pursue any and all services that he might need.

Something important to remember (coming from someone with a special needs kid and a wife who taught special needs kids): kids are resilient as poo poo. All that matters is that you’re there to support them and that you show them what’s possible for them. Yes, being legally blind is not great and, in fact, sucks rear end. But just having a single parent that gives a poo poo will give your son such a massive leg up compared to 60% of the population (special needs or not).

You’re gonna be a great parent and your son is going to be okay because he has parents who love him and support him.

Sorry if this came off as disregarding your feelings on the matter — I totally get all the fear and anxiety and it’s straight up rational to have them. I’m just trying to say that you giving a poo poo will outweigh any potential negatives that he’ll face due to albinism and that you’re going to do a great job.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

The girl who used to cut my hair had albinism and was legally blind. She even had a driver's license. Kids are resilient as hell, given support which it sounds like you will do. It will be okay goon :)

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Freshservice has an outage I guess. If I can't see any tickets, does that mean they don't exist?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

johnny park posted:

Freshservice has an outage I guess. If I can't see any tickets, does that mean they don't exist?

I hope Teams is next.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I do need to chill out about this, relax, and take things as they come.

Really pleased to hear about others who knew people with albinism that lived normal lives. My biggest fear was him living an isolated abnormal life.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

johnny park posted:

Objectively the correct take

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

johnny park posted:

I just tried to put in a ticket about fresh service being unavailable but it’s not working

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I do need to chill out about this, relax, and take things as they come.

Really pleased to hear about others who knew people with albinism that lived normal lives. My biggest fear was him living an isolated abnormal life.
He'll be fine either way, but I'm also optimistic that once the assistive software catches up with VR hardware, we're also going to see leaps and bounds improvement in what can be done for partially-sighted people using just off-the-shelf tech. With Apple's developer community, my money is on them being first past the post.

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

Qu’elle soit extra ou ordinaire
Chaque vie finit d'la même manière
C'est la seule justice sur la Terre
Tous égaux dans le cimetière

BaseballPCHiker posted:

My biggest fear was him living an isolated abnormal life.

Keep him away from the forums and you'll be good :love:

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

BaseballPCHiker posted:

The fact that you’re already thinking ahead on how to help him in every single way says everything about you and how lucky he is to have you as a parent.

You got this goon. And he’ll do great, I’m sure.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
So i had my SRE internal interview yesterday. I think it went pretty well, except for not being able to identify by name what a blue/green deployment was. Being a unix admin for my professional career I never had to do software deployments like application teams did, but I did mention about deploying to pod B first, testing with live traffic mirrored from pod A, validating the result on B vs A and if it matched then slowly move new connections to B and ween A off. Once traffic is bled out take A down and deploy new software there while B handles the load.

I'm off this week to burn carry over vacation days from last year, and I really am fighting the urge to log in every twenty minutes to check my mail and see if my results came back yet.

My teammate had the same interview two weeks ago, she failed it, but said she did hers in an hour. My interview was an hour and a half with a lot more questions asked of me than were asked of her.

I don't think I massively screwed anything up and I feel confident that I answered the questions properly. No huge self doubts in my head on my answers so thats a good sign?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Cimber posted:

So i had my SRE internal interview yesterday. I think it went pretty well...

I'm off this week to burn carry over vacation days from last year, and I really am fighting the urge to log in every twenty minutes to check my mail and see if my results came back yet.

Yeah, the worst part of those situations is the waiting but you got this!

I'm struggling a bit at my current job. It has zero stress, the pay is amazing but the work is literally mind-numbing. A large part of me wants to look for the door and get more fulfilling work but the practical side is telling me to suck it up. The IT market feels a bit grim at the moment in terms of great jobs for great pay so I need to stay put.

It's hard to make that mental switch though.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
I have an interview for a level 1 help desk position at an MSP tomorrow. I have nearly a decade of experience but there has been so little out there that I’ve gotten responses from. :freakout:

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
Think I’d go back to retail first.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
As someone who had to go back to L1 HelpDesk: It still pays better than retail.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Blurb3947 posted:

I have an interview for a level 1 help desk position at an MSP tomorrow. I have nearly a decade of experience but there has been so little out there that I’ve gotten responses from. :freakout:

I'm still looking for a new position and the last few weeks have been really dry with no responses to my applications until this week. I don't know if it's because it's the end of the month or a new quarter but recruiters wanna talk to me yet again.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
I've been looking consistently for months but haven't gotten so much as a call back since January

Anyway my boss is mad that I told her about an all day DEI meeting with "only" three week's notice. We only decided when to meet two days ago, sorry I'm not constantly telling you what I'm doing at all times I guess. She then spent that time telling me about how badly she needs to do the budget and how it's been so hard for her and it took every ounce of willpower I had to not say "wow sounds like you suck at your job, not my problem"

I hate this place so much

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

lol the 90 Lenovo all-in-ones we ordered, imaged, and deployed were finally discovered (halfway into the semester) to not have internal microphones. They very clearly had no webcam so not sure why a mic would be presumed?

Guess they'll be ordering a ton of webcams for those classes!

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Dandywalken posted:

lol the 90 Lenovo all-in-ones we ordered, imaged, and deployed were finally discovered (halfway into the semester) to not have internal microphones. They very clearly had no webcam so not sure why a mic would be presumed?

Guess they'll be ordering a ton of webcams for those classes!

How was that discovered halfway through? Jfc

Always have someone with hardware experience handle procurement, *always*

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
MS announced a five-nines SLA for teams phone this week, going into effect April 1st

get ready for all teams, all the time, everywhere

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Vampire Panties posted:

MS announced a five-nines SLA for teams phone this week, going into effect April 1st

It literally wouldn’t matter if teams was one 9

“Oh no, I can’t be pinged, however will someone reach me”

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

klosterdev posted:

As someone who had to go back to L1 HelpDesk: It still pays better than retail.

This tbh. When I was between jobs last year, my uncle quipped to my dad that I should come home and work fast food for 16 bux an hour. My dad says he gave him a look and replied, "I don't think you understand what my daughter does or what that kind of job pays."

I took a bit of a pay cut and have to wait a while for some benefits to kick in at the current job, but my boss and team own bones and I have zero regerts.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Even at this loving job I make 2.5 times what I did when I worked at the homeless shelter, don't have to clean up blood, nobody's screamed slurs at me, and I get to work 9-5 instead of 11pm-7am

Still have a lovely boss

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Teams Phone still suffers from all the handset options being balls, and execs want handsets.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Vampire Panties posted:

99.999 SLA for teams phone means they can 25.9 seconds outage per month, or a total of 5 minutes per year. Not a great error budget.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Thanks Ants posted:

Teams Phone still suffers from all the handset options being balls, and execs want handsets.

The polycom I tested for a short period of time worked well enough but it was a very basic model.

I fully plan to cut most of my corporate staff over to teams phone by the end of the year, cutting our corporate phone bill in half.

It’s crazy some of the bills we have for our on-site teams that I’ve been working on replacing to our current provider; I have a vontage bill for four phones that’s $250/mo and this isn’t uncommon. Phones may very well be our biggest IT expense.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The platform is as good as any other, the licenses are dirt cheap for the feature set (yes this is enabled by bundling and various antitrust courts might have something to say about that), but the handset experience is bad. Poly seem to have not learned from their past mistakes and the UI crawls at times. Teams really wants to be interacted with using nothing but a touch screen, but the experience of doing this on underpowered Android devices is poor, and the phones that have physical buttons like the CCX 350 are budget models with all the same performance problems except now they're running an app designed for touch interaction on a screen that is too small and doesn't support touch input.

We tried an AudioCodes phone once that they were really proud of (C455), sells for somewhere around £250, and the feel of the thing was equivalent to a 10 year old Grandstream. The handset was so lightweight and the plastics were awful.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Mar 29, 2024

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Thanks Ants posted:

Cisco handsets (with 3MPP firmware) will register to MS Teams. If the phones are under support (:lol: who the gently caress buys maintenance on handsets) you're entitled to the firmware upgrade for free. Its a bitch to do though, and IME borks 1 out of 5 handsets. Its possible to buy handsets with 3MPP pre-loaded, although I dont know about details like sidecar support under MS teams

Cimber posted:

99.999 SLA for teams phone means they can 25.9 seconds outage per month, or a total of 5 minutes per year. Not a great error budget.

The previous SLA was 8 hours a year, and people still migrated to it in droves. There was a holdout of cranky telecom dudes who screamed about downtime, but here's a secret - nobody uses desk phones anymore unless its fundamentally part of their role (i.e. call center agents, assistants, receptionists, etc). Everyone uses chat or video.

Cyks posted:

It’s crazy some of the bills we have for our on-site teams that I’ve been working on replacing to our current provider; I have a vontage bill for four phones that’s $250/mo and this isn’t uncommon. Phones may very well be our biggest IT expense.

On-prem telecom has become crazy loving expensive. It used to be that corps would make a big dumpster-fire purchase on a PBX and then sweat the assets for five years+. Investors decided that wasn't enough, and focused on YoY ARR and everything turned to a subscription, most famously with Cisco going from their existing licensing to flex. Now companies are forced into rebuying 1/4th of their PBX every year for offices that have sat mostly empty since COVID, with lovely/complex WFH support.

Thanks Ants posted:

The platform is as good as any other, the licenses are dirt cheap for the feature set (yes this is enabled by bundling and various antitrust courts might have something to say about that), but the handset experience is bad. Poly seem to have not learned from their past mistakes and the UI crawls at times. Teams really wants to be interacted with using nothing but a touch screen, but the experience of doing this on underpowered Android devices is poor, and the phones that have physical buttons like the CCX 350 are budget models with all the same performance problems except now they're running an app designed for touch interaction on a screen that is too small and doesn't support touch input.

We tried an AudioCodes phone once that they were really proud of (C455), sells for somewhere around £250, and the feel of the thing was equivalent to a 10 year old Grandstream. The handset was so lightweight and the plastics were awful.

There's a bunch of granular PBX features that MS teams phone doesnt/barely supports (:lol: they're literally just adding the Queues feature in TYOOL 2024) but they check all the boxes and they have native E911 poo poo. However, MS support for Android devices is total dogshit. They intentionally gimp MTRoA features so people are forced into building solutions :airquote: the Microsoft way :airquote: i.e., with a version of Windows buried in there somewhere (it all circles back to their boner for PowerBI)

Audiocodes make really good SIP gateways but their handsets are trash. Poly handsets have always been hit or miss. Cisco 8800/9800 handsets are the cadillac of phones. Its better to give users a good bluetooth headset than deal with handsets anyway, although as the previous poster mentioned, execs will still insist on a handset.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Vampire Panties posted:

The previous SLA was 8 hours a year, and people still migrated to it in droves. There was a holdout of cranky telecom dudes who screamed about downtime, but here's a secret - nobody uses desk phones anymore unless its fundamentally part of their role (i.e. call center agents, assistants, receptionists, etc). Everyone uses chat or video.

I can't remember I actually used my phone for anything at work. We use zoom for everything, even something that would take 30 seconds.

My company had just laid out a few hundred million to get Cisco video phones on all our desks in 2019 with the project ending March 31st 2020. Whoops.

That being said, on the rare occasions that zoom has had an outage at work we just cope. Doesn't need to be a call when it can be an email.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Cimber posted:

I can't remember I actually used my phone for anything at work. We use zoom for everything, even something that would take 30 seconds.

My company had just laid out a few hundred million to get Cisco video phones on all our desks in 2019 with the project ending March 31st 2020. Whoops.

That being said, on the rare occasions that zoom has had an outage at work we just cope. Doesn't need to be a call when it can be an email.

During 2020/the heart of COVID, I did a project where I migrated a medical device manufacturer to the cloud. The company wanted to migrate all of their users to the new provider. During the assessment, I met with a research BU leader who told me since they went remote that they'd used a free Zoom account with the 800 number anytime they needed to talk to someone on the phone :stare: I went back to the telecom department and asked wtf was going on, and they said "oh yeah they asked to be enabled with a remote Cisco account, looks like we dropped the ball". Then I asked the forbidden question "out of the 2000+ workers who went remote with covid, how many got enabled with a remote phone app?" "only the people that asked" "ok, how many asked?" "about 150" :stare: :ssh: yeah that company bought UCaaS licenses for all 3000 of their employees, and they didnt go with MS teams because it was :airquote: too unstable :airquote:

Nobody took their handsets with them when they were all sent home, and that was four years ago. On-prem PBX is disco-dead, people use chat, video, or their cell phone as a last resort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Counterpoint: my org uses the desk phone and on prem pbx all day, every day.