Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

GreenNight posted:

Then why are you so crabby all the time?

Great reply, thanks dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

GreenNight posted:

Was a serious question. I always assumed your life sucked because you always seem to be in a bad mood.

I was posting about my job and career, literally nothing to do with my personal life. Not appropriate for you to change it to that, nor for you to make public assumptions about my personal life. Please don't do this.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Lmao Oracle, wow

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

uniball posted:

ands spends millions of dollars lobbying to prevent the creation of free online tax filing

What. You can't file your own taxes for free in the US?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Bonzo posted:

I'd take it.

Is is possible to work ethically in enterprise tech? I mean, at some point your going to have a part in supplying services to oil, lobbyists, oppressive governments, etc.

There are plenty of other types of orgs in "enterprise tech" you can work for. I'm not comfortable posting details about my job, but I feel that I work for an ethical org in the public sector.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

That entirely and completely depends on where you are and the type of org you work for. I've absolutely found my last job.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

It only takes one buyout from an investment bank to poo poo all over your plans

Lol a bank cannot buy out my org. Like I said, it depends on a lot of factors whether something is a safe/longterm gig or not.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Gabriel S. posted:

How the hell has anyone kept a job at the same place for so long? Don't you get bored?

Nearly every company I've ever been at has always done layoffs. :smith:

Plenty of ways to not get bored, way too many to list.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

DSC isn't for patching.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The Iron Rose posted:

Exactly. Was meant to be a cheap dig at devops cattle v pets, didn’t land. meh, it’s a Sunday and I’m smoking away these terrible months we have left before glorious nuclear annihilation

Fair. I don't usually get most jokes anyways. I'm old.

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Sep 21, 2020

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Super Soaker Party! posted:

Yeah homes are for the young people.

Omfg I can't type on my phone anymore either, take me out back, I'm done

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

freeasinbeer posted:

You will never not convince me that change management is a tremendous waste of time and resources.

Same with CMDB.

Lol how on earth have you been able to post so very many terrible dumb wrong IT opinions itt

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

TheParadigm posted:

as a counter point, Change Mangement could always be more hastle.

The results, however...

Who would be up for coding in such an environment? on one hand, utter insane bureaucracy, on the other hand, no self blame for errors and mistakes and a much cleaner product. Why or why not?

On the other hand, this seems like the sort of great working environment one lovely manager can derail forever

My last job was in a similar field, with critical software like that, and it was fascinating watching how development worked in a place with zero room for bugs or errors. Really good learning opportunities.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I think Matt Zerella answers this question best:

Lmao

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Lmao this Azure AD outage is amazing

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

100% an intern pushed a bad config

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Lol I would never work somewhere with that kind of "dress code", gently caress that.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Dress codes (outside of general decency and cleanliness) are just more examples of class gatekeeping and culture enforcement.

One example, dressier clothes tend to be more gender specific which isn't a great thing if you are trying to address trans equality and respect the amount of information people want to share about their gender. If someone is not ready to declare that they are a trans woman, forcing them to wear a suit and tie is forcing them to either not feel like themselves or call attention to something they aren't ready to address in public.

Either enforce a gender neutral uniform like a company polo with slacks or let people wear whatever the hell they want if it's clean, inoffensive, and appropriate for public.

Bingo. It reinforces all the wrong things.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

This explains everything

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

Because when it comes time to sign up for it you do a 360 and walk away?

Lmao quoting this before you change it

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I love jit jub

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Super Soaker Party! posted:

poo poo goes deep and is everywhere. It's like how every Canadian adopts an air of righteous superiority talking about America's moral failings until you mention the First Nations and then they just clam DOWN.

That's bullshit, and also a dumb unnecessary derail for this thread.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Security rules but please actually be interested in it, and don't just go into it for the money.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Sickening posted:

The position was 100% remote but the recruiter brought it up almost right away that they all work together in one constantly online meeting. Video cameras and all. She pivoting saying that it wasn't keep big brother anyone but instead for the sake of team building.

I'm an extrovert and really really miss in-person interaction in the office these days, but wtffffffffffff is this, holy poo poo that's creepy

vvv omg

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Oct 15, 2020

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Congrats everyone in the thread on their new jobs, the slack outage, and it being Friday.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Has anyone here ever integrated a check against Have I Been Pwned into their AD? I'm thinking like, some kind of warning/popup as a user changes their pw to a compromised one. Not an after-the-fact scan/audit.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

Not sure if Have I Been Pwned is a hard requirement, but Azure AD has Bad Password Protection and it can be made to work with local AD. Has an audit mode and has a mode that will not allow the user to set the password to a bad password.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/authentication/concept-password-ban-bad

Good suggestions all, but bingo this is what I'm looking for. We have a hybrid AD right now with AAD, I think we'd have to enable password write-back for this to work maybe? I will dig deeper. Thank you!!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

devmd01 posted:

Do you have AAD P1?

We have P2 so I'm 99% sure we have this feature now.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Congrats, Fool :)

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Tetramin posted:

Cross posting this from a secret thread nobody here wants to read

Oh my god I wish we could make this the thread title

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

BonoMan posted:

do animated videos on websites help you actually get informed or make a decision? Are they something you can pass to your boss to help explain why you need something?

Nope, never. I prefer to read a whitepaper or something similar. Videos are the worst.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

BonoMan posted:

So, last question, but I'm going to pivot a second. If a client insisted on creating something a bit flashy for marketing purposes... would you prefer an animated explainer video or this type of animated infographic webpage: https://lucidworks.com/darkdata/

It's slick/pretty, but still useless to technical people. Give me a whitepaper. It's the same category as videos for me.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

i hate this and deloitte

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Best post in the thread

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Sickening posted:

And to put a cherry on this poo poo sundae, as of Monday, the CTO was performing all these actions from an IP from what is showing up as residential from my lookups. That isnt shocking as most people are working from home but someone whitelisted his IP address on monday as well so he doesn't have to use the vpn. (Again, more making GBS threads on people I am going to have to do)

I ran a quick scan against that public IP because why the gently caress not. Hmm, that is an interesting amount of ports available that I shouldn't be seeing from a residential router/ap. Wait, why can I remote desktop to this address? WHAT THE gently caress IS HAPPENING. I NEED TO STEP AWAY BEFORE I SCREAM!!!!!!

:smith:

oh gently caress yes keep going i'm almost there

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Methanar posted:

post his home ip

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Methanar posted:

I've been paged in the middle of the night about 15 times since monday this week.

cool stuff

Owned.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I can't leverage additional pay like that but I also have a pension :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

GreenNight posted:

Yeah for time off, it's always "we cant give you 3 weeks, we're loving over all these people already and they're gonna want that!"

Lol I started at 5 weeks