Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

BeastOfExmoor posted:

There's a negotiation thread in BFC that's very useful. Just be aware that some of the posters in there can be a little aggressive to folks new to this.

I would really recommend people who may not be familiar with the advice in that thread read some of it in advance of applying. You can impact your ability to negotiate a lot even during the application process.

That is a weirdly hostile thread. The advice is sound but they do get very goony about giving it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

xsf421 posted:

I had the weirdest offer last spring, they threw another $5k at me and wouldn't budge all on their company-standard 10 days of PTO. If i stayed 3 years I could have 12 days! (I did not accept the offer)

I've talked a few companies like that, my current job is one of them. They were all older enterprises with policies that were politically very hard to modify.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Follow up question, how common are credit checks in IT? I know a background check is pretty standard for nearly any job in 2020.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I'm doing part two of my big migrations tomorrow morning.

The first of which blew up last month.

I've fixed every issue that was discovered during the first pass and everything is much better understood now. I'm as prepared as I can be, and I've been 100% demotivated to do anything since I sent out the announcements and got final rsvp confirmations from everybody who's apart of it tomorrow

Now I'm dwelling and waiting for tomorrow to get this out of the way.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah for time off, it's always "we cant give you 3 weeks, we're loving over all these people already and they're gonna want that!"

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

GreenNight posted:

Yeah for time off, it's always "we cant give you 3 weeks, we're loving over all these people already and they're gonna want that!"

Yeah, this was some place that ran the backend for auto auctions, and they prided themselves on giving everyone the same benefits package. I'm assuming the VPs/C levels were exempt from that.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Tetramin posted:

I also might get fired already because I had the CEO on the phone because his printer “was broken” today and the switch port showed not connected so I tried talking him through level 1. He was yelling and pissed and I offered to call geek squad for him to help plug it in lol.

I work with a guy who does the “well if you’re too dumb to follow directions I can come over there and plug it in for you”

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
I'm really glad we have a policy of stopping our support at the organization's systems. The tradeoff to not having to commute is you have to provide and maintain your own home office infrastructure. Sometimes there's edge cases we'll do as a courtesy (eg explaining to a doctor why the 4G hotspot in her house in the boonies can't do reliable videoconferencing if anyone else in the house is also trying to use the internet) but for the most part if your laptop can't connect to any wifi, that's our problem, if it can't connect to your wifi, call your ISP first.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Tetramin posted:

That is a weirdly hostile thread. The advice is sound but they do get very goony about giving it.

It certainly has its moments, but it also gets a lot of people drive-by posting the same questions over and over. Specifically, the question about leveraging an external offer into a counter-off with your current job gets answered every page. Also, a lot of people reading that thread way too late in the process after already giving up a lot of leverage by way of naming a number, etc.

I would definitely encourage anyone in this industry, where demand for talent is high and job changes can bring huge financial gains, to read that thread and internalize some of its lessons. I know I thought it made a huge difference to me the last job switch I made.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

GreenNight posted:

:staredog:

I should read things like this more often to remind me what the other side of the coin of the higher salaries in the US is (PTO and healthcare, I guess).

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Zotix posted:

Follow up question, how common are credit checks in IT? I know a background check is pretty standard for nearly any job in 2020.

If they handle any banking data it’s pretty standard in my experience. Every job that’s dealt with financial data has required a credit check.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

GreenNight posted:

Lol I started at 5 weeks

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Calm down Canuk you forgot to convert to American Hours

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Is employer match for retirement savings a thing in other countries? I just realized I had no idea how that worked in countries where there's no number to go up. CPP sounds cool as long as it's guaranteed and not gonna disappear soon like Social Security

e: huh I'm dumb I guess there are stock markets in a lot of countries

CloFan fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Nov 10, 2020

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
God is it hard to not rail on you for that post. Instead I’ll just say I’ll have a match in 6 months, and it’s a pathetic one.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

CloFan posted:

Is employer match for retirement savings a thing in other countries? I just realized I had no idea how that worked in countries where there's no number to go up. CPP sounds cool as long as it's guaranteed and not gonna disappear soon like Social Security

e: huh I'm dumb I guess there are stock markets in a lot of countries

In Australia, there is a mandatory 9% of salary paid into a super fund account that you cant touch till you have retired (or under very tight circumstances) that is supposed to be for retirement. This is getting raised gradually up to about 12%, though covid might stop that for a while. Once its in the super fund you can generally chose how its invested. There is a big divide on returns between funds held by banks (poo poo returns, slick marketing, higher fees) and industry run funds (much better returns and lower fees).

Some employers allow you to salary sacrifice (pay before tax is calculated) some of your pay into your super as well, but there is a limit of like $30k-$40k on that I think. You can make a standard donation by yourself at any time. Super is also taxed a lot lower than income, so it makes financial sense to throw as much money in there as possible.

Also we start at 4 weeks paid leave, which doesnt include sick leave.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

klosterdev posted:

I'm really glad we have a policy of stopping our support at the organization's systems. The tradeoff to not having to commute is you have to provide and maintain your own home office infrastructure. Sometimes there's edge cases we'll do as a courtesy (eg explaining to a doctor why the 4G hotspot in her house in the boonies can't do reliable videoconferencing if anyone else in the house is also trying to use the internet) but for the most part if your laptop can't connect to any wifi, that's our problem, if it can't connect to your wifi, call your ISP first.

Friday a guy put a ticket in because his hotspot was dropping every five minutes

Today we sat for twenty minutes outside on a picnic table while it worked fine

You live in the boonies dude. Plus you’re letting your kids put their tablets and poo poo on it.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Zotix posted:

How much do you negotiate when offered a position? I've heard you should always negotiate even if it's just a little bit.

Of course it always depends, my current job and my former job have both been public employment.

In other words: "here's exactly how much you'll make don't bother trying to counter"

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

The Iron Rose posted:

how do you effectively delay responding to an offer letter?

:toot: on finding out your current employer was getting you for a discount this whole time.

To answer this question: just tell them you need until Friday. It's a big decision, you're expecting an offer from another place tomorrow, and you need some time to think about it and discuss it with your spouse.

Do not do this:

GreenNight posted:

I mean you can accept the new places offer and then decline it later if you like the counter.

You will be put on their poo poo list forever. I had to move mountains to get a current coworker off our poo poo list for doing just this. You in theory set things in motion at the new company like them declining other candidates, ordering equipment, etc. It's a dick move.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I dunno, it happens at my company maybe 1 out of every 4 people. They get hired and then decline the job before they actually start.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

H110Hawk posted:

:toot: on finding out your current employer was getting you for a discount this whole time.

To answer this question: just tell them you need until Friday. It's a big decision, you're expecting an offer from another place tomorrow, and you need some time to think about it and discuss it with your spouse.

Do not do this:

You will be put on their poo poo list forever. I had to move mountains to get a current coworker off our poo poo list for doing just this. You in theory set things in motion at the new company like them declining other candidates, ordering equipment, etc. It's a dick move.

I have done this once in my career. Its not as dire as it seems. Most companies don't have a robust enough HR to even keep track. I wouldn't do this with a fortune 500 though.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

GreenNight posted:

I dunno, it happens at my company maybe 1 out of every 4 people. They get hired and then decline the job before they actually start.

I can count on 1 hand the people who have done this to me and every day that ticks by makes me more mad at them.

The best example I have of this is a guy who quit at 2am of his literal start date.

This industry is tiny and you should learn to push back and set expectations with people, it's a key element of your job in general. Of course the hiring manager wants an answer right now on the phone, but will settle for tomorrow first thing. Talk to them reasonably about it. Obviously the lower on the totem pole the less time you can take but asking for a few days should not tank your offer.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I work for a manufacturing company. HR told me they hired 40 people last month and 6 stayed on. So it's not something I give a poo poo about or let it bother me.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

H110Hawk posted:

This industry is tiny and you should learn to push back and set expectations with people, it's a key element of your job in general.

As a former coworker of yours, you might be a little biased here. Your industry is tiny, there are probably like 400 people in the USA with your skillset and most of them work at Google/Amazon/etc. Random assholes like me are a dime a dozen :v:.

This is right, though. Speaking plainly about your expectations and needs during a potential job switch is a bar so low that you would have to dig it out of the ground in order to not meet it. Some companies do "exploding offers" but they will be very up front about this and you probably shouldn't work for them anyway.

The last job I turned down they posthumously said the offer was valid for 6 months and to email them any time if I change my mind. It's ok to ask for time.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

GreenNight posted:

I work for a manufacturing company. HR told me they hired 40 people last month and 6 stayed on. So it's not something I give a poo poo about or let it bother me.

Hiring 40 un/semi skilled workers for manufacturing and having 6 of them show up for work a week later is different from hiring theoretically skilled labor in a "professional" environment. If your company is extending 40 job offers for IT people in hopes 6 will still be working there a week later then that is terrifying, hilarious, and you should definitely name and shame.

12 rats tied together posted:

As a former coworker of yours, you might be a little biased here.

Well that's terrifying, I forget who you are if I once knew it, I have trouble mapping forum names to people.

Edit: Creeping your post history and seeing discussion of working in a kitchen I am now 99% sure who you are - you just recently left right?

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Nov 10, 2020

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

The Fool posted:

Current job I asked for an extra $10k and got it, no fuss.

New/upcoming job, I asked for an extra $10k and got $5k after some hems and haws.

Always ask.

My raises are just a full percent under whatever inflation is and "I should be happy to even have a job"

Hollow Talk posted:

:staredog:

I should read things like this more often to remind me what the other side of the coin of the higher salaries in the US

What pay?

wargames fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Nov 10, 2020

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

GreenNight posted:

Granted, I'm in a tiny company but I do see this on occasion. It kind of maps to when they do big hiring groups to replace people. One off hires seem to stick around more.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Methanar posted:

I'm doing part two of my big migrations tomorrow morning.

The first of which blew up last month.

I've fixed every issue that was discovered during the first pass and everything is much better understood now

It started off a wreck at the very beginning and involved about 30-45 minutes of flailing like an idiot infront of >10 people. I did some on the fly debugging why some services were crashing but I figured out what happened and fixed it relatively quick. SRE wasn't much help lmao

After that initial hiccup the next hour and a half went really smooth and without major issues. In reality the whole thing could have been done in 20 minutes if I just banged it out but I deliberately took it slow and talked out loud about what we were doing and how things worked with all the SMEs on the call.

:cool:

Methanar fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Nov 10, 2020

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

I really appreciate having pragmatic upper management. Instead of "put this process here and rely on users to follow it" they understand that users aren't going to follow anything 100% of the time, and guardrails need to be put up to avoid having a system where users inevitably end up following the path of least resistance, even if they're managers.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

H110Hawk posted:

Edit: Creeping your post history and seeing discussion of working in a kitchen I am now 99% sure who you are - you just recently left right?

September, yeah, that's me. It was a pleasure but my position at that employer unfortunately morphed into something incredibly toxic in the past year or so.

At least the stock is doing well!

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
So now that work from anywhere seems like its going to be around for a while, I'm thinking of changing up my learning a bit. I was looking into getting into mainly GCP since Google hires for a lot of those jobs locally and my employer has starting getting their feet wet with it. However I'm now thinking maybe I should concentrate on AWS as it seems most GCP and Azure material reference AWS terms and technologies, and AWS is the most popular platform. I figure I'd have more choices when it came to deciding if I want to keep working locally or just go remote.

Thoughts?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Bonzo posted:

So now that work from anywhere seems like its going to be around for a while, I'm thinking of changing up my learning a bit. I was looking into getting into mainly GCP since Google hires for a lot of those jobs locally and my employer has starting getting their feet wet with it. However I'm now thinking maybe I should concentrate on AWS as it seems most GCP and Azure material reference AWS terms and technologies, and AWS is the most popular platform. I figure I'd have more choices when it came to deciding if I want to keep working locally or just go remote.

Thoughts?

Learning relevant content is always a good idea.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Bonzo posted:

Thoughts?

Pretty much all of the core concepts are similar across the platforms, some specific services are different and the implementation details are different. AWS is probably the most accessible, just because it is the most popular and there is a lot of content for it.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Bonzo posted:

Thoughts?

It doesn’t matter. Pick one, learn it, the lessons are broadly applicable in every service.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

The Iron Rose posted:

It doesn’t matter. Pick one, learn it, the lessons are broadly applicable in every service.

Yeah that's why I'm struggling and thought that at least AWS is the most basic but I suppose if I get some certs and experience in all three that won't exactly hurt me.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

12 rats tied together posted:

September, yeah, that's me. It was a pleasure but my position at that employer unfortunately morphed into something incredibly toxic in the past year or so.

At least the stock is doing well!

Gotcha. I'm sorry to hear your team turned toxic. :(

Bonzo posted:

Thoughts?

AWS is what the others are trying to catch up to (in most cases.) Learning that will be the gold standard. If you learn Azure you will get very good at making fault tolerant infrastructure, similar in GCP but they're at least intending to do that. Aliyun is another up and coming cloud. I would use it over Azure unless you have some specific reason to use azure.

Regardless of which one you learn, pay attention to fundamentals. Define a problem in general terms and draw out how you want it to run, fail, data flows, etc. Then try to implement it in the cloud. You will get good at judging service capacities based on the building block instances available to you. (ec2 + S3 + EBS + glue makes up a huge portion of AWS for example.)

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Background check done, start at new job on 11/30.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Note: I have not given notice to current job, plan to work both for at least a month.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

The Fool posted:

Note: I have not given notice to current job, plan to work both for at least a month.

Haha, wait until you get double paychecks. Then you will say "another month".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

How the hell are you people working two fulltime jobs and maintaining any semblance of work/life balance