Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Tab8715 posted:

I sort of understand the shellshock bug but what perplexes me is how long it took to figure out. It doesn't seem that wildly complex of a exploit, I have a hard to time believing no one had figured this out before.

Well that's simple, a lot of things get exploited but the malicious dude trying to use the exploit is smart enough to limit his usage so other people don't notice. When used judiciously, it's easy for an exploit to be independently discovered and rediscovered and used by multiple people before someone actually tells the world about it.

Additionally, a lot of stuff tends to focus on attacking very widespread targets (like Windows) or very easy targets (browsers, javascript, flash, java), so it's easy for stuff like this to be overlooked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

psydude posted:

Speaking of typing systems, can someone explain to me why vi's input and hotkeys make no loving sense? Is it some sort of leftover poo poo from the glory days of ARPANET that *nix neckbeards refuse to let go of so they seem legit? Or is there an actual good reason why it's remained completely goddamned different from every modern text editor that's come about over the past 20 years?

Here's why, the guy who programmed it used this as a terminal:

Notice that keyboard it has available. Every weird thing done for the hotkeys and stuff is done to match that one terminal and its keyboard.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Che Delilas posted:

Pure function. As I understand it, it was designed so that you can do as much as possible while moving your hands away from their natural touch typing positions as little as possible. One of my old college professors taught C using Vi, and it was pretty amazing how quickly and completely he could manipulate text.

Well it stopped being natural touch typing positions a while ago once keyboards started changing. Of course some people do remap normal keyboards to match up with the old ADM3:

Really though, isn't VI part of the POSIX specs or something?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

PCjr sidecar posted:

Caps-as-Control is a better location for Control and more useful than Caps Lock.

Probably, but I really detest Escape in place of Tab.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Tab8715 posted:

Would it be better just have it as a tax write-off as opposed to getting a stipend?

It's always better to receive any amount of money as cash/debit than as a tax writeoff. At best a tax writeoff gets you something around 39% of that writeoff from the taxes you have to pay - as such just getting the money always comes out ahead.

Unless you're super rich and you're receiving write offs as part of an elaborate accountant managed scheme that also involves shell corporations and offshore accounts, of course.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
OpenGL only covers the graphics, naturally enough. Plenty of games use OpenGL for graphics and then use Direct(other things) for other subsystems meaning they're still hard to port.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

KennyTheFish posted:

For Personality type to be protected, it would need more basis than astrology.

Yeah it's basically like protecting you on the basis of 2008 Myspace quiz results.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
It's easy to have a paperless office, simply leave a printer to work with no intervention for 10 days and you'll be printing jackshit.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Docjowles posted:

That must be Photoshopped. SharePoint is actually green :stare:

No issues besides being sharepoint that is.

:v:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

I've never understood what's so appealing about San Francisco for tech startups anyway, especially when you're working on a product that's international in scale. It seems like they're just making their lives that much more difficult for the reasons you're talking about.

Cargo culting.

It used to be, way back when a lot more electronics manufacturing actually took place in the US, that you could come up with an idea in the Bay Area, drive on down to Silicon Valley, and get one of the manufacturing facilities to churn out a proof of concept of your thing in a few weeks. So it was a good idea to start your technology thing there, all the manufacturers were around and they could even handle decent mass production.

But as actual manufacturing flowed away to overseas, it still maintained the reputation of "Where You Should Be" despite losing that original benefit. And then you had the fact that so many startups started being about web hosting or software, so even being close by to manufacturing didn't matter.

Of course, a lot of tech startups realize that it no longer applies, and so a lot of them just decide to open up shop in whatever major city is nearby to them.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Docjowles posted:

I remember how uTorrent started out as the "good" torrent client. Amazing what a complete piece of poo poo it's been turned into since it was bought out. I gave it a shot about a year ago and it had become borderline malware, full of ads and other garbage. Now it's literally malware.

It got "bought out" about a year after its release, in between 1.5 and 1.6's release

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Alder posted:

Xanga still exists? I thought it went in the way of Myspace? :v:

Myspace still exists as well.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

icehewk posted:

What's the bare minimum specs for a CentOS VM?

If you feel brave, 128 MB of RAM, about 400 MB of disk and 200 mhz Pentium or equivalent. 2 GB disk to install significant chunks of the basic binaries.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Bhodi posted:

You can get a fully loaded macbook pro for way less than that and it's significantly more powerful. Or an air, or any other apple product.

I don't even know what the target market is for that thing, other than people who really only want desktop, have far too much money, and don't want any space taken up under the desk or whatever.

The target market for the Mac Pro USED TO BE people who needed an expandable Mac. Which it was, since it used to be a regular large case with normal slots and poo poo to put your expansion cards in.

This latest model on the other hand? Your expansion opportunities are pretty much "choose some custom graphics cards and ram configuration at purchase, and everything else has to be expanded using thunderbolt peripherals".

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

KillHour posted:

I didn't mean they did exactly that, I mean they took Linux and customized it to their needs for a high-spec flagship piece of hardware. My point is just that I'm surprised there isn't more competition in the "High end PC that doesn't run Windows" market.

Because Windows owns? And any self respecting very high end Linux user just builds poo poo themselves or is customizing heavily from a major OEM.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Are there any languages not to bother coding in? I've got a lovely java game I made for the 30 day game thing back in July. I've got a runtime error that I'm pretty sure is related to the file paths, I was having trouble with those. Maybe I'll post some questions in the Java thread and try to fix it.

Yes, but Java isn't one of them.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Yeah, sorry. I was asking that more about Powershell, and then got distracted by my Java thing. I've also got a C++ semester project I did that I'm pretty proud of I might as well put up there. I need to go through it, since it didn't work on a newer compiler than VS 2008, but once I've figured out what conventions changed since then I'll put it up.

Honestly the only languages you shouldn't bother learning at all are long dead languages like ALGOL or super niche languages like OCaml.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

captkirk posted:

I don't get why this is considering a mark against him. Isn't is a matter of personal preference on whether or not a smart phone is worth your time? Or whether or not you want to be contactable through e-mail, facebook, etc all time? You don't have to be a troglodyte to not want a smart phone. In the end when I was up for renewal on my contract I only got a smart phone because GPS is a lifesaver.

Because in most cases it now costs more to keep an old dumbphone and accompanying plan then to switch to a basic smartphone and a new plan. So actively refusing to use one is just being obstinate for the sake of it.

It'd be different if it was still like 5 years ago when having a smartphone actually did mean a pretty decent premium for your cell service.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

captkirk posted:

It costs like $200 to get a basic dumb phone and like $20/month for a non-data prepaid plan. I would be shocked to find a smart phone plan that cheap. It is also completely valid to simply prefer not to have a smart phone. You can understand and appreciate technology and still prefer not to buy it.

You could get a basic smartphone for under $50 without carrier subsidy and prepaid plans can be as cheap as $15 a month.

Paying $200 for an actual dumbphone is essentially highway robbery.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

captkirk posted:

I will freely admit that $200 came from the last time I considered getting a dumbphone with Verizon and not from actually hunting for the best deal on a dumbphone. That being said, I'd be surprised if you could find a smartphone and dataplan worth having that is as cheap as you same. However, even granting the point about cost, choosing not to have a smart phone doesn't make a person a troglodyte who doesn't understand technology.

If you'd been up to now happy with a dumbphone, you wouldn't mind any of the cheap prepaid smartphones. Or the non-pepaid but used smartphones off of ebay, which pretty much all can go on one prepaid service or another.

Seriously I've known people that up to last year were still paying for something like a $60 a month voice and texts only plan for their dumbphone, because it was just What They Had for a couple of years. They switched to like the new AT&T-owned Cricket prepaid plan for about $35 a month and got just as much texts and voice and a decent bit of data as well, to go with a cheap used phone that would work.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Alder posted:

Currently a lot of the 3rd party smartphones are not that bad. You really don't need the latest iOS device, trust me.

Also, didn't someone say how improved smartphone are compared to now vs back then because of their durability/design? However, I'd lost count of how many cracked smartphone screens I've seen on the subway. I have no idea myself as I tend to take care of my fancy tech crap (yeah, cases too).

Mostly because I'd be out of luck if I happen to break/lose it :sigh:

Yeah the older iPhone models were fragile as poo poo with the glass slab on the front and back. Most other phones and the newer iphones don't have that issue.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

BaseballPCHiker posted:

NPR did a story on yearly physicals recently. Basically they said the benefits of doctors getting to know their patients and checking on them is outweighed by the false positives created from testing like blood work. Essentially if you're under 40 and in good health dont bother unless you want to talk to your doctor about something.

I've never had to do stuff like bloodwork at a yearly physical to be honest.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Inspector_666 posted:

So this company called imgix is very proud of their rackmounted Mac Pros.

Am I wrong to be very confused at pretty much every decision they made that led to this?

Macs are better therefore we need to put the trashcans in a rack. -the boss

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Tab8715 posted:

That's seem like such a waste of hardware, can't you virtualize OS X yet on non-apple hardware?

Not legally, and not without various weird third party patches to prevent it from refusing to run due to detecting virtualization.

So completely unacceptable in a business situation.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Tab8715 posted:

Is this kind of like Valve? On another note how the hell does Zappo's even exist?

Zappos just announced that anyone who wants to leave because of the new management style can leave with a serverance package. http://www.cnbc.com/id/102667440

14% of the company has left so far. So who knows how long Zappos will be allowed to exist before Amazon says "fuckit" and fully absorbs it?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

psydude posted:

You must live some place with an incredibly low cost of living, or are very well off. If my income matched the value of a normal SFH around here I'd be posting from my yacht off the coast of Mallorca.

He's talking about how much your rent or mortgage/ongoing costs should be, you're talking about flat out cost of buying a place.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Methanar posted:

You still have tax prisons? What

Uh, why wouldn't you go to prison for actively refusing to pay your taxes and actively refusing to sign up to a tax payment plan int he event that you legit can't afford to?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Methanar posted:

People in tax prison aren't generating income tax revenue.

They weren't generating revenue in the first place, because they were criminally refusing to pay. Do you think they throw you in jail the day after tax day? Cuz what happens is that someone/some company refuses to do it for years, sometimes decades, and only after all sorts of chances to start paying back due to they go to jail over it or have the company taken over, to stop them from making money and not paying taxes on it.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Tab8715 posted:

Another question for the thread,

We've all heard about American workers being replaced by H1Bs however what I don't understand how does this benefit the company?

The U.S. Labor Department of labor enforces that H1Bs are paid at least equal to their local counterparts. So, where's the cost savings?

Sure, you can say there's job title manipulation but that's an employer committing fraud and if you look up salaries on h1bdata.info they're often inline with local wages.

Where's the benefit?

H1B's don't have to be paid equal to the same job title worked by native workers, they just can't be paid less than the minimum wage plus a bit honestly.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

This is missing something. Here, I fixed it:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
For a while at my parents' place, the underground cable line got broken, and comcast just ran the cable above ground for a few months until they coudl get someone to rebury it.

Also if they really were just breaking in and attaching a cable, they wouldn't be able to pirate any cable using it, since these days almost all Comcast territories are using universally encrypted digital cable for SD and HD, so about the only thing they could get was temporary internet access with carefully hacked cable modems.

So probably, not actually stealing cable.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Roargasm posted:

I had that Inspiron in college, I see the ASA on the plastic tape case, but all I can think about is how loving slow that flash drive is.

I had nearly the same one. I loved that keyboard layout.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

RFC2324 posted:

I know plenty of people who have commutes like that here in the DFW area. One co-worker does 140 miles each way.

Yeah but uh, why? I know people who have a 180 mile roundtrip commute into New York City, but they're living in another real city (Philadelphia) and they ain't driving, they're kicking back in Acela business class for the trip.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

flosofl posted:

If you mean success in a lot of people use it, I'd agree. If you mean success in that annual revenue far exceeds costs and debt, that would be incorrect.

Here's chart of comparing Profit per Quarter with a company most people would agree is a success (Apple) against a company most people *think* is a success (Amazon)

Amazon reinvests into itself to continue building future revenue. If anything seriously bad happened they could free up billions in a few weeks.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

22 Eargesplitten posted:

What's the most reliable way to set up a remote user's home printer on his work PC? He said he can't use USB. I have never seen a wireless printer on a home network that didn't need to be reinstalled at least yearly, if not more often.

"He can't use USB" means "can't be bothered to look for the USB cable". Have someone buy him a $5 USB cable and order him to use that.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Bhodi posted:

It's about whatever people want it to be about at this point.

It's about people whose entire identity in life is playing video games being mad that other people also play video games, especially if they're not white men. Also about how they're mad they can't get laid 90% of the time.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Segmentation Fault posted:

what is it with people who simultaneously want to avoid talking about gamergate while masturbating over how morally superior they are

Hey guess what normal people are in fact morally superior to pieces of poo poo like gamergaters. They're also morally superior to Nazis, people who kick dogs, the KKK. It's not a high bar.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Just use ipv6. :smug:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Thanks Ants posted:

I must be going crazy since I thought Xerox had a /8 to themselves, but it's not showing up on that list.

They used to. They sold off a huge chunk for a few million bucks, iirc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
One of my friends who was living up in the mountains and commuting down to Boulder got stranded on the mountain for like a week a few years back when a flood went through and washed away some roads leading off it. Definitely something to look out for.