Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gealar
May 2, 2013

This explains a lot of headache with our printers. I thought it was our print server misbehaving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gealar
May 2, 2013

DropsySufferer posted:

My plan now is to make a Don't Panic doc for myself that I can bring up when something like this happens. It's rare enough that when it happens I'm caught off guard hence panic so I think my idea is a good one. At least have the basic steps written down and ready so I don't even have to think or worry.

This would be a good idea. There is a reason pilots have these kind of checklists, its to help them stay calm and still accomplish what needs to be done. Also like the other posts mental wellness helps with handling stress and everyone reacts to critical situations differently. I think one of the thread titles is or was a snippet from a story where the boss was upset that the person didn't seem panicked enough, so don't worry so much about appearances.

Gealar
May 2, 2013

TheFace posted:

Windows search gets really fun in non-persistent VDI. You either turn off Windows search to avoid the issues, which is a poo poo user experience. You leave it on, which is then a poo poo experience for the first several hours of the user using the machine as it builds a search cache. Or you use one of the assorted ways to roam the windows search cache... the one I've tried (Appsense/Ivanti) would randomly break, leaving a broken search cache which would mess up Windows search in general.

It never ceases to amaze me the things I find out during the conversations that go on here. I could never figure out why the first hour or so of our xen desktop machines would be horrible and then settle back to normal. Probably never would have since I moved us away from it because of the weird crap like this.