Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
I'm working at a small-ish (~90 people) office that currently has no ticketing system. We fake our way with Sharepoint lists and email, but I'd like to implement a proper system. The past couple of places I've worked at all had their own homebrew solutions, so I'm not very familiar with what's out there. Any suggestions? I've looked into things like Spiceworks and Zen Desk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
This is kind of cool, mostly because I've been in no way affected by it: some routers have so many BGP routes in their routing tables that they are literally hitting their limits and crashing.

http://seclists.org/nanog/2014/Aug/162

Apparently it's been causing some major problems today for a ton of providers.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
My 4 year degree has absolutely nothing to do with IT and was likely a complete waste of money, but at least I cut my teeth at the school help desk. :unsmith:

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014

Misogynist posted:

Anyone have a preferred SSH client app for iPhone these days?
Panic makes an iOS SSH client:

http://panic.com/prompt/

I haven't ever used it personally, but I've used and really like their other software (Transmit, Coda), so it's probably worth a look.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
A few weeks back, a user came to me with a question. She brings a piece of paper with her, places it on my desk, and says that she's having trouble with this site (our intranet).

I was confused about why she didn't IM or email me the address, but at the same time it was kinda :3:

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014

Docjowles posted:

Jeffrey Snover (the guy who invented PowerShell) has been making the podcast rounds recently. At one point he straight up said "SCCM and friends are great for managing enterprise desktops. They are crap for managing servers. PowerShell and DSC are where Microsoft is going in that regard". So if you care about that side of things, I'd make sure you're paying attention to DSC as it matures.
What podcasts are you listening to? I'd like to hear more from Snover

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
A recruiter reached out to me and I talked with her on the phone this morning. Position sounds promising and, after following the thread's advice about salary negotiation, she was the first to throw out a number which was ~50% higher than what I'm at right now. Wasn't planning to :yotj:, but this is shaping up very nicely.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014

Chickenwalker posted:

Anybody used Ubiquiti's AC access points? I've read that they aren't that great compared to their earlier models, but we're switching from Airport Extremes and I don't want to take a step back from the speeds AC offers (and beam forming if these actually do it).
I don't know if the problems were with the first generation of the hardware, but we have the second gen in a small deployment and they've been fine for us.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

I'm ashamed to say that I just had my mind blown by discovering that you can, in fact, remove a Windows computer from the domain and rejoin it with only one restart. :smith:
Teach me this wizardry

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
Looking at a job posting and this second bullet point caught my eye:

lol what? Do employers think that this is a normal thing?

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Also that job posting is one of the most Portland things I've ever seen. (Sorry.)
It's pretty bad, but I'm not even phased by that kinda thing anymore

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
Thing that will make my life easier: SSH native in PowerShell http://blogs.msdn.com/b/looking_for...-shell-ssh.aspx

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
The entire time I've worked at my current job, there's been a bookshelf full of old technology books, completely untouched by anybody working at the company.

Today, I got very reluctant approval to throw out some of the oldest books in the shelf.

However, I was told to hang onto a Javascript book from 1996 and any books on Foxpro.

Maybe this is the first step towards permission to get rid of those Pentium 3 servers sitting in the back :unsmith:

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
#pray4methanar

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
These sales emails are the worst:

quote:

Hi beepsandboops,

What is a cloud made of? A cloud is made of WATER. And what is our “cloud” made of? IT Professionals who WALK on water!

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
Bears are in the yard, unsure how to proceed? Please advise

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
My boss just came back from VMWorld and said that when he described our environment to people he met, quite a few people told him to get another job.

Probably doesn't bode well for me.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014

Barracuda Bang! posted:

And your boss is implying this is your fault or...?
Nah nothing like that, it would just really blow if he left because he knows how to keep our weird old environment limping along. If he left, our company probably wouldn't pay for a competent replacement, leaving me in a world of poo poo.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014

Methanar posted:

I'm not assertive enough for that.

"SSH into esxi01"

"You can't ssh into esxi"

"Open putty and type in esxi01"

"oh"

How do you have a job
Jesus Christ.

Please start charging these people

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
After a year+ of having management shut down plans to true up our licensing with Microsoft (all the while asking for more machines), we're getting audited by Microsoft!

I've got a nice long CYA email trail of proposals, so I'm just reveling in it. Hopefully Microsoft will put the fear of god into management and make them realize that you actually have to pay for things you use, even if they're not physical things.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
My boss has been reading a lot of business-y self-help books (stuff like the 4 Hour Work Week) and relaying them to me. This week, he was lecturing me on how to control how people contact you, and to do it on your own terms.

As an example of this, he pointed out an email he'd recently sent. It was an all-staff email that included his personal cell number in it :confused:

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
It's baffling to me that even the person at my job who specializes in documentation doesn't understand or use version tracking

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
Anybody dealt with voicemail spam? We keep getting these pre-recorded voicemails coming in from all different numbers at different times to different extensions.

I assume (and everybody I've talked to about this has told me) that it's like spam or junk mail--something you can mitigate and manage, but never really stop. The most I've been able to do is to reduce the time limit on voicemails.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
Our new help desk guy asked if we could buy him a license for MATLAB so he could write a script that would scan all machines on the network on port 22 to tell what operating system they're running

:allears:

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
Bad server locations: an auditor once told me that the worst he'd ever seen was a rack, surrounded by chicken wire and topped with an umbrella, on a guy's porch.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Dress for the job you want to have.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
Our new desktop support guy is a newly-graduated math major and doesn't understand that different use cases require different tools. A while back he asked us to buy him a personal license of MATLAB to script things in our Windows environment; I just asked him to write up some documentation for our inventory system and he handed me back a LaTeX document. :cmon:

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
Yesterday I had a woman from sales call me from a taxiing airplane to troubleshoot an issue.

Fortunately, it was during business hours and she didn't demand that I fix it before the plane took off. But really? You couldn't wait or do this earlier?

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
The most important key to tying an outfit together is white gloves

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
There's a job opening at a company that I would like. I applied, got no response. A recruiter later got me a phone interview, but nothing ever came of that.

I see this company post about this position on Indeed, LinkedIn, etc. every couple of weeks and it seems like it's been open for months. Would it make sense to apply for it again, or is that just a big ol' waste of time?

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
What's the consensus on local government IT? I'm looking into a local government gig that would have better pay, more time off, and less responsibility than my current (private sector) role. So what's the catch?

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
I'd say: get as much exp as you can, don't kill yourself or sweat anything that they're asking you to do (especially if it comes to on-call stuff), and get out when you can and earn literally double your current salary, if not more.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
My boss has made several attempts over the last ~3 years to get Elastic Stack running in our environment. These past 2 weeks he's focusing on nothing but this. He's scavenged our decommissioned desktops, modifying them to run in RAID0 and using them as nodes in the cluster.

Every morning he walks in to the office to find nodes down, spends most of the day trying to fix it, then comes in the next day and does the same thing.

I'm wondering how much longer he's going to keep it up

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Well here's an interesting discovery.

Environment #1 has an SLA where maintenance can only be performed from 10pm to 2am
Environment #2 has an SLA where maintenance can only be performed from 2am to 5am
Environment #1 and environment #2 reside on the same physical infrastructure

Holy crap, who is running this army??
We have probably over a dozen clients on one environment, each with varying SLAs. Nobody in the business seems to keep track of these SLAs in a comprehensive way, so IT doesn't know with any certainty when we can actually perform maintenance!

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
I'm currently a Network Admin, which in my company means I'm the mid-tier guy in a small IT department and seemingly the only person who understands what a VLAN is

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014

Vargatron posted:

I like how the prevailing IT business practice is basically mass hiring a bunch of cheap college grads and them burning them out with 60+ hour work weeks.
:capitalism:

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
Right now our only on-perm storage is a 6-year-old homebrew Solaris file server that anybody can upload to anonymously and is not backed up or managed in any real way.

Needless to say, I'm going to be replacing it ASAP. I'm going to talk with our VAR to see what our options are in terms of hardware, but I was curious what folks here have good experiences with. It seems like a lot of the storage vendors I've touched or heard good things about end up getting acquired (Nimble) or crashing and burning (Tintri) anyway.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
🎶 When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's 🎶

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
So now that Oracle's gutting of Dyn is complete and the service will be a complete ghost ship until it's shut down in May, we're looking for a new DNS vendor.

Who do y'all use/like? I'm eyeing NS1 or a cloud vendor at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
Somebody long before me decided that all of our hypervisor hosts should have "hyperv" in the hostname.

We run KVM :/