Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

The picture mapping vi to contemporary natural keystrokes is blowing my mind.

Nintendo Kid posted:

Really though, isn't VI part of the POSIX specs or something?

Apparently so. vi is referenced in a section that "describes the commands and utilities offered to application programs by POSIX-conformant systems."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Is development not IT experience?

Depends on the system an ex-dev-turned-IT professional is expected to maintain. I did not get many of the interpersonal skills I needed to handle hotheaded / irritable customers in desktop support from my intern dev days, for example. Similarly, a C# dev probably doesn't know way too much about convergent storage architecture.

Dark Helmut posted:

By comparison, it's a LOT harder for me to place an infrastructure guy right out of school.

Eight years ago, there were zero non-CS, specifically-IT engineering programs in North America that weren't simply the base CS degree program with additional certificate work added on top. That is improving now -- I have a brother going back to school in an IT engineering program in Kansas right now and the curriculum looks awesome-- but it's still sparse. I haven't seen any IT-focused MS degrees out there, for example. My only choices for a technical MS right now look like business, project management, or dev.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

skipdogg posted:

Now that Office365 AD Sync/AD Connect has password sync, you can more easily get away with not implementing ADFS and authentication happens in the cloud.

I was wondering why our O365 deployment team suddenly stopped herping and derping cloud authentication. I had simply assumed they unfucked their federated services. Guess not.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

We don't have a compliance thread, so...
http://www.velaw.com/Blogs/FCA-Blog/Broad-New-DoD-Cybersecurity-Rule-Could-Put-Defense-Contractors-at-Risk-for-FCA-Allegations/

quote:

A contractor, its subcontractor, or a cloud service provider also might fail during contract performance to comply with some NIST SP 800-171 or FedRAMP requirement, or fail to meet its ongoing obligation to identify data the government might consider sensitive. A plaintiff might argue that the contractor’s bills impliedly certified full compliance.

At least in the view of a little department in a large legal firm, a head-in-sand approach to CUI / 7000 clause compliance is possibly not going to cut it come next Christmas :smith:

I wonder how many IT people in small shops there are out there that haven't met their contracting officers or even know that there are prime / secondary contracts in their users' workflows that have these requirements. Even more speculation: with which sort of frequency and intensity will small fish be audited? God only knows.

Will individual technicians haplessly involved in compliance issues with ITAR/CUI/EAR be exposed to False Claims Act liability in a meaningful manner in a post-Escobar (http://www.scotusblog.com/case-files/cases/universal-health-services-v-united-states-ex-rel-escobar/) world, though? I don't think so. Under present jurisprudence, the Department of Commerce / State / Justice does a good job of discerning the difference between systemic, institutional issues (resulting in fines and probationary status or revocation of export licenses) and individuals (same as before but also including prison in the case of people who have been repeatedly warned). Purely from UHS v Escobar, I don't think so. From the standpoint of "the next administration is led by someone who loves to over-dramatize stuff," who actually knows what administrative bodies and issues will be tacitly ignored and allowed to quietly churn and continue to work and which will be subject to interference.

So yeah, alarmism concerning "am I going to prison?" on the new compliance deadline for many IT shops of next Christmas is probably unwarranted, but still make sure to (1) cover your rear end with documentation when your superiors asktell you "we're compliant with this gigantic-rear end document, right? You have two days" (2) not certify anything you aren't sure about (3) polish your resume if your superiors press you on the matter and want a certification now because they know they aren't complaint but don't want the blood on their own hands and low-digits or tens or hundreds of millions of dollars are being held up until someone sacrifices their good name and criminal-history-free background for the good of the bottom line.

Oh, also (4) re-iterating (1) document the poo poo out of your protestation because your silence can be implied as another cog in your organization or department's implied certification of compliance :suicide101: You don't want the same kind of corporate leadership that wants to suck up sweet federal :homebrew: but doesn't want to pay for a good compliance program and subsequent IT position and cost increases to try to cast everything as your fault because "Man, Goon Guy told us so many times we were compliant, this is such a loving surprise to us non-technical managers." There are law shops dedicated to defense based on this sort of strawman-scapegoat strategy. Tread carefully and watch your back. Worst-case nightmare scenario, but there it is.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Dec 5, 2016

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

skipdogg posted:

Following @PWTooStong on twitter is fun

Okay, after a quick browse, @PWTooStrong is amazing. Jesus Christ, what is this poo poo.

https://twitter.com/decryption/status/805932498404290560

Noted proper noun Internet Banking

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Chin up, is that specific machine using an ADC for DNS?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Methanar posted:

I've written a series of shell scripts that pipe poo poo into a gnu expect interpreter that controls like 50KW worth of electrical circuits.

How do you think many businesses log in to their banks?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Sickening posted:

Purchasing vp in Finance: We see the opportunity to lower costs of licensing in office 365 by reducing the number of e3 licenses to k1. Sickening, can you decide which parts of the company we can we downgrade to a lower license?

Sickening: I don't know what every person in the company needs to do their job. The operations teams should be able to tell you who doesn't use microsoft office or needs access to email. I should not be defining who in the company can have licenses, that is their own leadership.

Purchasing vp in Finance: Hey Ops, can you tell us what we need?

Ops: We need everything we currently have.

Purchasing vp in Finance: We see the opportunity to lower costs of licensing in office 365 by reducing the number of e3 licenses to k1. Sickening, can you ......

Sickening: Who is initiating this cost savings initiative? Didn't ops tell you no? Is this mandated by the c suite?

Purchasing vp in Finance: Its a finance driven imitative.

Sickening: Well Ops tells me what they need and I decide how technology can give it to them. Besides, if I figure out which employees can get a reduced license and implement that change, wouldn't it be my imitative?

Purchasing vp in Finance: Not if I ask you to do it.

Sickening: I wish I could help you. Either come back to me with a list from ops on who can be reduced or I am not able to do anything.

Purchasing vp in Finance: I will get back with you at a later date.

:majorminor:

Squeeze ops for downgrade candidates and present it as your own initiative

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Vargatron posted:

I assisted a user in initiating a name change request today since she got married and wants her e-mail to reflect her new name. This is what I got back from the accounts team:

Are you loving kidding me?

I hear in these parts that no email system permits changing/creating aliases without changing username too

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

https://twitter.com/ToonyGoons/status/1584647626451845121

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

tokin opposition posted:

I have asked my boss repeatedly to look into automating software installs, both for machines out to users and to prep machines for new people. She has flatly told me that it would be a waste of time and implied I don't have the technical skills, and gave me direct instructions to do everything by hand using a USB stick. As in plugging it in and running installer.exe like it's the 80s

"I am uncomfortable when people learn stuff I don't understand"

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

jaegerx posted:

What is the minimum number of public IP addresses needed to expose a service running on 10,000 IoT devices having private IP addresses?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

KillHour posted:

That's $100/hr, which is incredibly cheap for a consultant. It's barely more than we charge for our offshore guys.

can I be your consultant

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

hey, I have a very poorly written question for y'all, but I hope it makes sense:

I'm using kubernetes for most deployment these days, but we are also tasked with managing legacy style vm instances in hyperv, esx, and AWS/Azure (no gce anymore :sigh: ). Right now, I'm running SALT/NaCl and SCCM to do desired state configuration and patch management

what's some good products for managing basic configuration and patches on cloud hosted vms 9n AWS and Azure? What should I not touch?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Love it and we're using it but I'd prefer to have something you don't need to develop I guess. There's a lot to juggle and we're small ish considering the sheer technological diversity we have to shepherd

as an example, my jamf is pretty fire and forget (aside from loving piece of poo poo Mac auth configuration). I know it has a simpler task but I'm curious if low/no work cloud endpoint management exists

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Wibla posted:

I found my pod and you'll have to pry me out of it with a tactical nuke :sun:

What do you do

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I'm sure you mean inch deep mile wide? I haven't taken cissp but that's the impression I got

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

MrKatharsis posted:

Their support sucks rear end and every new release is slower than the last. I wouldn't pin this on the downturn.

we just moved a bunch of poo poo to mongo :bahgawd:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I have (regrettably) some Delinea, formerly Centrify/Thycotic products.

Which one of you suggested the new logo? It even kinda has the ring.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I can't think of an mdm suite that doesn't give you control of location perms for apps

I guess you kinda have to write it a little in jamf for macos but I mean, the Twitter location thing isn't new or unmanageable

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

that's a joke

there's a ton of jokes circulating, it's creating a decent cloud of noise

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Tracking gets weird. And hard. And it's unreliable. And it doesn't stop a thief from reimaging a system or selling it anyway.

Use Bitlocker, good passwords, and proper policy management from AD or Intune and you can mitigate the risk of data disclosure by physical theft fairly well.

Reuse your existing deployment stack, maybe with a tweak here and there to make your clean travel systems meet the specific need that necessitates a clean system in the first place. Often, that need stems from uncertainty that international travel places on data governance/sovereignty. For example, for a defense contractor a long time ago, I once set up a different OU/GPO set that prevented things like mail and offline files from caching. A foreign state would thus be less likely to access data if the laptop was opened at a border and a password was compelled. Sometimes the threat was state surveillance methods used by, let's say, the UAE or China, where network configuration and access to resources from the home data center needed to pass through a much more complex set of controls and some active monitoring.

They following is advice that frankly applies to a lot of situations where a new business need materializes:
The use case is known to your team and the people who think they need this. Start with REALLY getting to know the business need, then proceed from there.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

skipdogg posted:

Just a guess on my part, but the people who aren't opting into Twitter 2.0 Hardcore Musk edition are getting the severance package. If you hang around and cash a couple checks and get found out, severance might be off the table.

From what I understand it's either stay and get with the Musk program, or exit with 3+ months of severance and these engineers are taking the money and going to go relax for the holidays.

The business papers on what not to do as a result of this are going to be epic.

these employees also just had their equity bought out at an exceptionally, hilariously inflated price

especially for the ones who have been around for a while, they're sitting on a mountain of gold and looking at potentially not needing to work until february despite getting paid all the same

it has been no secret for a long time that Twitter does genuinely run extremely good infrastructure. Even though the VC-pumped parts of this industry are downsizing, there remain many many places for people with these kinds of skills to go

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

The Fool posted:

As funny as the muskovian twitter saga is I am getting so so tired of this nonsense in the replies of every single tweet

Holy poo poo these people want unqualified slave labor

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

much easier to do with your firewall

also meaningfully enforceable there

out of curiosity, what is the use case? is this to keep the nuisance of people screwing around on a kiosk or research device to a minimum, or are you actually trying to meet a serious security need

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

The Fool posted:

Oh, I also really like log analytics

seconded

I'm shifting away from mdm and more to terraform these days so I feel the "azure's apps are pretty rad but jfc k8s on azure is way overpriced because it's hella inefficient"

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

it is as expensive for me right now to run as your kubernetes as it would be for me to buy a bunch of bare metal and do something silly like run kube on licensed esxi hosts

edit: ^^ I think part of my better experience with Azure is that we are an extremely large account in a sector azure wants to expand their apps into better, so we basically get help whenever we want

I don't know if we'd have pulled off half the poo poo we did without relationships with their product managers

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Nov 24, 2022

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

triple post, but we do have about half as much spend in AWS as we do in azure, and despite that we have terrific support there as well

I think it's my understanding from some of my peers in industry that AWS does a much better job of assigning you resources when you need help, even if you aren't big?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Based support :dukedog:

Edit: y'all it's thanksgiving, hopefully not too many of you are working today

those of you guys who have some major, valuable skills-- thanks for sticking around and talking shop around those of us who have much less volume on the technical side of their resumes

it's extremely valuable to see things in media and other forums, THEN kind of see confirmation or denial on whether a trend is worth investing any learning into

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Nov 24, 2022

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Thanks Ants posted:

If you're building SaaS then do it on AWS, if you are a company IT team and need identity, endpoint management, managed backup, WAN etc. then Azure.

succinctly put :golfclap:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Super-NintendoUser posted:

I turned down an in person, full day interview at Amazon because they wouldn't give me any salary range. It was the fourth interview, and they wanted me to invent a fictional company, design and pitch them an AWS solution. They expected me to have PowerPoints and other documents ready to describe my solution before coming in. It was a several hour task to prep for and then a full day, and they wouldn't even give me a hint on the range.

what the gently caress is wrong with these people

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Another year, another HR rep saying our annual ratings ought to fit into a bell curve. Once again, HR meets my expectations, which are that they absolutely suck.

It's pretty wild that's people think that performs at work needs to fit a bell curve.

This isn't the natural world, this isn't some stochastic thing.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

George H.W. oval office posted:

It took 2 1/2 years but I finally got covid. Likely from my wife having to go into work. It was a beautiful ride. Time to die

Remember, hidrb.com. You are morbidly obese and haven't had a booster in 6 months.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Are you at an MSP?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Internet Explorer posted:

I started off my career at a really young age and hit the ground running hard. So maybe it's not having the experiences before, or maybe it's some mid-life crisis thing, but I just... don't care. The problems are so incredibly boring. I just want to play video games and go for hikes in the woods.

Man alive, I think I'm going through this shift right now. I have had a grind-face-on-belt-sander level of work ethic right up to the beginning of this year, and I now am finding it hard to summon enough focus to get through the day without essentially staring at my project planner--or just off into space--for upwards of an hour. I can and do reliably whip my brain into compliance, but I then end up hyperfocusing and working an hour to two late to feel caught up.

I do hope you avail yourself of the people who offered to talk with you. Just reading this is helping a good bit this morning: I'm not alone in this.

tokin opposition posted:

gently caress... gently caress

I jimmied a chatbot into 💀 Spiceworks 💀 ages and ages ago. This is significantly better prose than many of my coworkers could either come up with themselves OR be bothered to spend the time to write. I'm wondering if it's possible to create a...uh, Grammarly but for professional prose. A style enforcer, but for natural language rather than just code linting.

Edit: with respect to job security, I guess we can take solace in the fact that the day of ML auto-action (say, an organization trusting the bot to automatically decide to fire off a restart in Intune) is still a way off from now.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Dec 7, 2022

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Unexpected Raw Anime posted:

Just casually changed an STP bridge priority because I didnt like how it looked and took down 2/3 of the campus. WHoops

I can already hear my supervisor asking, "What was the change request number for this?"

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

i am a moron posted:

I’ve been asking him for YEARS what his backup plan is if he’s left holding the bag on the insane capital outlay and he was always like ‘lol what’. Last time we talked he was absolutely sweating bullets about how turbofucked the whole thing is, hope he doesn’t do anything stupid

Has he tried turning his loans off and on again?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Fast food and retail really stunk. For a few years, I was a secretary/receptionist and I actually loved it. I was technically inclined due to my Breaking Computers As A Kid background, and I slowly got to do more and more work as a power user making reports in our accounting software, and eventually that led to a deep enough understanding of Oracle E-Business Suite that the IT team directly hired me. Branched out into SCCM/MDM and VDI stuff since then.

I kept my old Subway hat pinned on the corkboard behind my monitor as a reminder of what I was working to avoid.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Dec 8, 2022

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

KillHour posted:

"Gay for $0.30 an hour" is not a thing.

Hey, you miss every shot you don't take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Vulture Culture posted:

Are you an enabler or a cost center?

If you're an enabler, figure out what business levers you're supposed to enable, determine how you connect to those, measure your end, compare your metrics to the metrics of the initiative you're enabling (there will probably be a lag time, i.e. your metrics will be a leading indicator for theirs) and make sure your numbers are going in the right direction. Other than that, your job is to build trust (this is the "rely" in "reliability"!), so figure out what problems are making it hard for parts of the business to rely on you, and focus on improving those from the explicit perspective of building trust across the business.

If you're a cost center, figure out your top N costliest consumers. Talk with finance and the business lines to determine if the cost increases are commensurate with the increases in top-line or bottom-line revenue from the projects or products they support. If they are, replace them on the list with the next-costliest, and if they aren't, use finance as a lever to get the business line to invest in making their application more efficient. Continue until you hit diminishing returns. Absolute costs are rarely as important as whether the services are scaling supra- or sub-linearly with the value they add under growth.

You probably shouldn't sweat CPU/memory metrics too much. There's all kinds of ways they'll lie to you. Batch jobs should be built to chew through as much CPU as possible so they finish quickly. Memory should be used as cache/buffer pool/whatever if it's available. Problems arise when you need it and it isn't there. Those problems will always show up in other ways. Alert on those problems first. CPU and memory might turn out to be leading indicators for those problems. If they are, build out alerts for the leading indicators.

If you want to build out fleet-wide monitoring for these things as a customer success initiative, go ahead and do it, but keep them low-priority and use them as a lever for you to play program manager, have conversations across the business, and figure out what's going on. If the metrics turn out to be difficult to tune correctly, throw them away unless there's a serious business impact to degraded performance or memory-related instability. Your team has other, more important things to worry about than whether other teams are monitoring their own app's resource utilization in a way that's responsible to the business's bottom line. And if they don't, push to rescope your team so that you do.

Quoting this, I'm going to need this in a few months and this is a very concise summary, drat