Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

Sepist posted:

lol

Home office chat:

I'm looking for some suggestions on how to make the home office experience more efficient. Right now my main windows desktop is two monitors, but I can't use them for work with the exception of slack. My work laptop is a macbook pro. To get me through this week I connected one of my monitors to the macbook but I don't have a second USB mouse/keyboard. Is there some way I can A/B my mouse/keyboard/monitors to the laptop when it's plugged in without having to constantly move HDMI cables/usb receivers?

I remember there being a utility that would let you use your monitor/keyboard between two machines but the macbook is locked down. I'm guessing I have to get a KVM but if someone has a recommended one for windows/mac that be great

cheap way of doing this is a real cheap usb switch for the keyboard/mouse and then just use the input buttons on the monitors when you want to switch them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

rafikki posted:

I imagine we've got people here that have moved from operational type roles to sales engineering. Curious to hear thoughts about it. I'm getting pretty burned out with what I'm doing and know some people on the pre-sales engineering side that are trying to get me to come over. I realize that I won't be getting deep into the guts of things anymore, but think it could be an interesting shift to start seeing the bigger picture. I like talking to people and solving problems, so it seems like it could be a good move. Right now I'm a "senior security engineer" working on firewalls a lot for a MSSP. I would wind up selling that along with a bunch of dropship products, our threat analysis stuff, consulting/professional services, etc, etc.

I'm a sales engineer and it rules

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

cheque_some posted:

Regarding the RDP discussion, what's the consensus on leaving RDP open on a corporate LAN?

For some reason a co-worker decided to port scan my laptop and then tried to publicly shame me in the Slack channel for having RDP open. I wasn't sure if that was a totally dumb thing to let through my laptop's firewall or that's just him being the kind of person who has his laptop set to secure wipe on reboot and takes the day off to migrate off GitHub when Microsoft announces they're acquiring them.

How is your company laptop's firewall your personal responsibility? lol

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

skipdogg posted:

I just assume everything is vuln, and if someone wants your data bad enough they'll get it. It's all pointless.

I'll do you one better -- assume you'll eventually be breached, no matter what

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice
I'll do you another better -- burn it all down

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

Garrand posted:

Welp, walked in today to all the computers shutdown and being told not to turn them on.

hell yeah

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice
my money's on ransomware lol

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

Bigass Moth posted:

Anyone in presales engineering? Especially client facing? Can you describe what you actually do on a daily basis?

I'm an SE. You still looking for info?

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

Bigass Moth posted:

Yes, lay it on me.

I work for a company that develops its own software and sells it to other businesses through partners. Not like, direct to consumers or whatever. So, some of this might be specific to that setup, and a company that's a VAR, or an MSP, or consumer facing might be different.

But yeah. I work from home and it's usually pretty chill. I have a list of existing customers, about 20 or so, of which maybe 5 are enterprise level (so like, over 10k employees) and I work with them periodically to make sure they're getting good use of the software and to be their main technical point of contact. The goal is to make them find enough value in it that they renew each year, and maybe even expand their footprint into additional parts of the platform.

I'm partnered with a sales rep/account manager who does a lot of prospecting and working with partners to get us new business, which usually works by having a call where we demo the software and then ask them to test it out in their environment. If they agree, I work with an admin on their side to install and configure it and over the next few weeks we work together to give a bit of a more detailed tour of everything, and pull some reports that can be used to build a presentation about why this would be value in their environment, which usually needs to be customized to their specific needs/wants (especially decision-making executives).

The job itself is mostly from home, and my day is mostly meetings with existing customers to check in on them and make sure things are going smoothly. Some days can be pretty light, but some days are pretty back to back. I personally go onsite maybe once every 2-3 weeks, but that's because I was without a rep for a while and just got one who's still getting up to speed. Other SEs can be going to customers much more often.

Base pay is pretty good, and typically expected to be about 70% or 80% of your total compensation, with the rest being your commission. The commission is a set number that you get a pro-rated amount from based on what portion of your quota you meet that month. If you go over your quota you get a direction commission on additional revenue, and that percentage rate goes up the more you are over your quota. Typically those higher rates are called accelerators and you want to hit them (I absolutely will not this year lol).

I have some metrics I get judged on, like how many meetings of certain types I have with customers in a certain quarter, or how many products I've installed, etc. I'm not judged as harshly on metrics as sales reps are though -- not by a long shot. Unless they're over quota, they're under the gun pretty hard.

I was just a regular grunt admin at an MSP before this, and help desk at a big bank before that, so I had a pretty decent jack of all trades type IT background, which is good because a lot of the time I'm talking to admins and having a common base of understanding is important. A lot of your job is to be a technical expert on your own company's product, being able to chime in with details and experience when your sales rep is talking, and then being able to plan out and execute how to integrate it with a customer's production environment. There's a support team for break-fix stuff, thank god, but really small places may not have a team like that.

Does that give a good sense of it?

edit: job security is incredibly high as an SE, by the way. Since your job is to be a technical expert in a super specific thing that only exists within the company, it necessarily takes months and months (realistically six months, maybe even a year for some people) before you're up to speed and valuable. And management/the company always needs to factor in how long it would take to build up a replacement if they're thinking of canning you

unbutthurtable fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Sep 24, 2019

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

cage-free egghead posted:

It always surprises me for some reason that people in IT don't get excited when they get big, fancy upgrades. One of my old employees who we totally geeked out on Nintendo stuff about used a 3rd gen i5, 4gb ram, and some ancient first gen SSD (it might have been an OCZ one) for ages while we had the option to get like 6th gen i7s, 16gb, and NVME drives.

Hell I'm never using more than a few programs at once, but it's fun getting super high end hardware. Even some end users are getting latest gen i5s and 16gb standard now, but everyone absolutely hates the UHD screens on the new laptops.

I've been in too many situations where management tried to play off giving me a newer laptop as somehow akin to a raise

Give me the slow poo poo, I'll just work slower. It's your lovely company lol

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

DelphiAegis posted:

LOL 38%? Look at this lucky rear end in a top hat. Mine went up ~60% across the company. Right after OE ended, we all got a letter from the insurance company that they didn't spend enough on Healthcare based on $job'sstate laws of 85/15 (95% on Healthcare, 15% on admin) and were required to refund some stupid large amount of money to our employer. Which of course we saw 0 of in premium reductions, etc.

lol beautiful

i'm sure owners/stockholders were glad to finally see justice being done with regard to those greedy bloodsuckers at the insurance companies!!

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

Agrikk posted:

In the last seven years of incredible unluck, my family has been hit by three major illnesses requiring complicated surgeries and extended hospital stays.

Total out of pocket? $9000 (maximum individual deductible per year of $3000).

Insurance paid out $700,000.

The healthcare industry is bullshit, but here in USA there do exist good plans and I too get massage, PT, therapy, ergonomic stuff as part of my plan.

I feel for y’all with shaky health benefits. We need universal care now, because gently caress deciding whether I get to keep my house or my twelve year old son.

the fact that you think this is somehow good is bonkers

you should be out there killing people over that $9k, honestly

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice
also I'll keep this light because it's SH/SC, but lol at the idea that warren would radically change the american healthcare industry

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice
90% of this thread is Job Gripes and the system of government that allows rich assholes to impose like 90% of those gripes upon us (some colleagues will be shitheads no matter what, I'm sure) is within bounds

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice
also its really definitely racist

like if anyone faced career repercussions based the results of an IQ test, I'm pretty sure there's a lot of legal precedent for it being illegal racial discrimination due to biases in the test material

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

Super Soaker Party! posted:

I....don't?

Look I usually don't go all America rahrah jingoistic bullshit, especially since the past 20 years have made it real fuckin hard to do that with any semblance of sincerity, but Americans literally died in multiple wars for the right to vote and to uphold our system of government slash give the middle finger to kings and dictators. They didn't die for the right not to vote, and anyone who doesn't vote is in fact part of the problem and isn't "nobly avoiding the fray" or "taking a stand" or any other such crap. If more of the moderates had voted in the past 5 elections we might have avoided this sequence of presidents (Obama was....I was going to say not a war criminal but then I remembered the hugely escalated drone strikes and his implementation of Newt Gingrich's lovely health plan from 1994 so I guess I'll just say at least he didn't start any MORE foreign wars. Edit: to be clear I'm only mentioning his misdeeds since people seem to think he was a good president - I didn't feel it necessary to mention but I guess I will that obviously the bookends to his terms were respectively a dumbass war criminal who was incompetent at reading intelligence reports and a literal fat monkey who can't actually read at all and <redacted to avoid Lowtax getting another visit from the Secret Service>).

And if we all showed a little more interest maybe we could get some real positive changes to the system that would help fix the problems, like all the things I mentioned (instant run-off alone would go a long way towards eliminating extreme results since candidates would have to actually try and appeal to the broadest swath of people). But everyone goes "Congress is terrible! Except my dude he's good" and just votes back in their Congress person, and we get what 20% of us voted for.

P.S. And I'll go out on a limb and call for if not the abolition of the electoral college, at least implementing the workaround a bunch of states have already done where the winner of the popular vote gets the state's electoral votes.

lol america did not go to war "for the right to vote and to uphold our system of government slash give the middle finger to kings and dictators"

have you read a single book since like a 6th grade social studies textbook?

and wrt to obama not starting wars: libya? yemen? etc

moderates got us here, champ

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

goddamn, I could have sworn there was a firefighter case in CT that went the other way

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

CLAM DOWN posted:

Putting my mod hat on for a second - Please take your debates about the current shitshow that is American politics to D&D. Thanks in advance.

i will only debate in c-spam, but otherwise fair enough

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Could have just been posted because they're required to even though they already planned to hire internally.
But that loving blows that your boss knows you're looking now.
Or maybe it doesn't... How do you feel about talking to your boss about how stressful things are? If he already knows you're one foot out the door then what do you have to lose?

they could get fired

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

Gabriel S. posted:

A few lovely columnists doesn't detract the entire value of one the worlds best newspapers that has been doing so consistently for generations over a hundred years.

I just read the last few pages and this post here is the most offensive one.

Not actually -- the wildest poo poo's been probed, and people calling out the book, White Fragility, for being essentially a cash grab by the woke-development cottage industry, getting peddled by corporate liability experts precisely because it represents absolutely no challenge to current power structures was good.

But the New York Times being considered by people to be one of the "world's best newspapers" as if it isn't coloring reporting with a violent ideology, regardless of its opinion section, is one of the bedrocks of the same system that brings us racial, gender, class, etc discrimination in the workplace.

edit: bring back the tribune

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

Gabriel S. posted:

I don't know how to tell you this but any media organization isn't perfect and they are going to report from folks whom are truly abominable. That doesn't de-value the reporting itself.

It's a good if not great source for news. That doesn't make it perfect or the only one. Ignoring one of the most most widely circulated nearly global newspaper is going to hurt not help you.

lol it absolutely devalues the reporting. No reporting is neutral, it's infused with ideology and if you're not noticing it, you've just blindly internalized it.

Ignoring NYT and WP reporting will absolutely help you fall for less bullshit. And the wire services are no better. You're only getting what editorial boards let you get, and guess who's on those? They're the same people recommending White Fragility and pulling Uber out of California to avoid following labor laws and making helldeskers work 1099 for years on end with no benefits.

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

skipdogg posted:

What do you need to audit?

Quest Change Auditor is one of the best tools I've used, but their business practices since being bought by private equity loving suck so bad I can't recommend someone go with them. It's a shame though, the software is good. They destroyed the relationship at my last company, and my new org got rid of them last year as well.

Manage Engine AD Audit is a budget option. I haven't used it in a long time, but their main selling point was 90% functionality of the big players, at 10% of the cost. I will say I used some of their products a long time ago, and the support was good, and they were fast to implement additional features. This was 10+ years ago though, so no idea if this has changed.

There's some other options out there that might work depending on what you need to do. Netwrix comes to mind. Lepide has a solution. Stealthbits Stealth Intercept is another option, but honestly I'm not impressed with it at all. I can't tell if it's our install of it, or if the software just isn't that good. Stealthbits also just merged with Netwrix so not sure whats going to happen with their solutions.

Cygna labs is something I haven't looked at before, and looks promising. It might not be written on 20+ year old code, claims to be next gen, but who knows.

Varonis can also do this kind of AD auditing, but I don't know if I've ever heard of anyone using it *just* for AD so it might be overkill in this case.

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

Dick Trauma posted:

I was thinking that I work for petty people, and didn't want to give them a long weekend to cook up something yucky for Tuesday morning. And giving two weeks notice on Tuesday is only costing them a single day, so I don't think that's unprofessional. I have no idea if they'll even use the two weeks, or freak out and hit the eject button.

I'm okay with doing it either way. The offer letter was already signed by the new place, so when I signed it became fully executed, for whatever that's worth.

Put in your notice today, before the long weekend, and make your last day two days earlier than you would have if you submitted it Tuesday. Have Wednesday a week and a half from now be your last day. Enjoy the four day weekend. Easy

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I got to the point where I just let my boss know that these aren't "requests" for PTO, they're notices. Life's been pretty good since.

e: that's after I lost a few hundred hours of PTO one year because I couldn't use it due to my requests getting continually denied.
"Not my fuckin problem that nobody else wants to work here, and I'm sure as poo poo not paying for it." or something to that effect was the line that I used in my letter to him with HR CC'd.

A few HUNDRED!?

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice
Congrats, and make sure to round up your time spent on anything as much as you can get away with

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

Sickening posted:

So my main gig is Director at infosec for a hospital chain. Today I was informed that our chief medical officers are putting on Covid Q&A's for departments to attend, to list, and ask questions. Pretty normal things we have done a few times now.

The unique thing about this is that we are about to put in place Vaccine requirements for employment for all employees, not just patient facing staff. We know that because a few of our hospitals are in some red states, we are going to have staff who buck against this.

I have been verbally directed to monitor these meetings for "questions" and "comments" coming from personal that seem anti-vax in nature. I am suppose to instruct my team to put them on a watch list as well as put into place teams and email filters to catch communication of anti-vax materials and conversations. I was told in new more words that "We are going to root out those who are endangering our employees and patients."

No clue if this is legal. I also know I don't care.

Just out of curiosity...any new stuff at your more interesting gig? I swear I check this thread at least 50% of the time because of how incredible that is

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

The Fool posted:

Being afraid to do work on Friday just means you don’t have robust enough testing and rollback plans

"afraid" is a strong word

something more like "don't want to" feels more appropriate

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice
yeah but I especially don't want to on Fridays

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice
Is there a discord for SH/SC?

I don't mind looking over some resumes either, and I feel like that might be a smoother medium for it.

I'm a sales engineer, so bullshitting and spinning what is technically correct are very much in my wheelhouse.

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

Sickening posted:

They are peers.

Do you think the CEO you sent the email to and the CTO who reached out about the roadmap have been talking about the CISO at this point?

Also I just wanted to reiterate that you sanitizing all this info is totally understandable, and I'm on the edge of my seat regardless

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice
It just occurred to me how funny it is that the thing that really got Sickening's CEO to give a poo poo about the CISO is that she was double dipping and holding down another job lol

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

cage-free egghead posted:

I just started a Python class at WGU that they just changed from Udacity to Zybooks and it's pretty intense. I read that the 100 Days of Coding challenge and Automate the Boring Stuff are good resources. I'm only on day 3 of the challenge but I'm actually really enjoying it. It feels like a really complicated math problem but instead of finding the answer you build a solution to do it for you. Super satisfying to figure out problems.

I've been wanting to learn it for years but thought code was never for me and it usually was for those who enjoyed math but it's got the same feeling for me that I had learning Powershell when things start to click.

$160k would be amazing. Heck I'd be happy with even half that but if I can get these AWS certs, my BS, and learn Python and Kubernetes I think that'd be enough to make some bank.

Incidentally, people talk about Automate the Boring Stuff as a great Python book, but I actually really love Python Crash Course (by a different author, but the same publisher No Starch Press). It has some really good final projects at the end of it, and the web app is really practical learning.

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

The Fool posted:

Pro-tip, it doesn’t matter how awesome your technical skills are, if you say “his name was Arjun, so you can imagine his skin color” in an interview you will get blacklisted so loving fast

:eek:

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice
The main reason a company might provide iPhones is that someone who makes these kinds of decisions personally wants the company to give them an iPhone

unbutthurtable fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Nov 2, 2021

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

MustardFacial posted:

Does anyone know how I can get in contact for Seagate Enterprise support? I need to move 24 10TB HDD's to another location and I want one of those high density foam box inserts they use to ship drives. All of my googling just gets me back to normal Seagate support and they can't do anything for me.

If you purchased through a VAR, I'd call them up and make them Add some Value

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice
Amazing

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

regulargonzalez posted:

So, minor update. I noticed she had also remoted in to 3 different servers this morning (she went on medical leave yesterday). I argued that we should remove VPN and RDP access from her account. Boss's boss, the IT Director, says that as she is still an employee we shouldn't / can't do that. My argument is that she deleted her share, dban'd her machines, and since she's on sick leave then she doesn't need access anyway. Keep her AD and Exchange account, fine. Let her receive and send emails if she wants. But I was overruled.

Supposedly she's having lunch with my (out on sick leave) immediate boss tomorrow. And, because I get in my own head and worry and overthink, I wonder if a conversation we had on Monday led to this. I'll talk more about that after it's all over.

uhhh...so what did you discuss on Monday...?

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice
I;m thinking about thos beans

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

KillHour posted:

All my horses are circumsized.

It is interesting to imagine the British horse dick cleaning lady as kind of an analogue for the American tax prep industry, at least when you think of horse circumcision as a stand-in for legislation to simplify tax calculation.

The horse dick cleaning industry has 1000x the stakes in making sure that horses don't get circumcised as regular horse owners have interest in getting their horses circumcised so they don't need their dicks professionally cleaned (so they basically never speak up loudly on an individual basis), so the horse dick cleaning status quo stays as it always was.

Lobbying works the same way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice
In California weed comes from an app. I can send you a referral code so we can each get $10 off our next orders tho