Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Vargatron posted:

So the message is that this will enable you to work 24/7 and ignore your work life balance? SIGN ME UP

It almost sounds like they're disappointed in those numbers rather than acknowledging that some people will always work while on vacation and Office 365 makes that less painful.

Only 47% have worked while on vacation? Let's make it 100% with Microsoft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Vulture Culture posted:

no that's cops

Cops are sexy enough to certain women to stick around.

IT guys just end up buying furniture at IKEA for their new one bedroom apartment.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Wandering through the data center and suddenly getting :feels:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

It's all feels and nostalgia until you realize it is supporting critical business processes in 2018.

Well, it is plugged into a console server. We're rolling out Cisco LTE routers now, so that's kind of the future I guess.

Looking up info on that modem I discovered people are still buying the USR Courier modems we used to test stuff with back in the year 2000.

http://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop...404296237435843

Man, I loved those v.everything's, but that was during the era of software-based modems that could eat 20% of your CPU cycles.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

BaseballPCHiker posted:

What are people using for network monitoring these days? We're using an old version of Whats Up Gold but we need to update to a newer version or we'll lose vendor support. Figure we should look at other vendors while we are at it.

SolarWinds looks OK but I dont want to deal with their sales people. PRTG also looks promising. Either way its going to be a ton of work getting migrated to any new system I suppose.

I like SolarWinds, but man their salespeople...

We use a combination of SolarWinds and ExtraHop. All alarms sound through SolarWinds and ExtraHop gets our investigations down to a granular level.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Been in IT since 2000 with a 3 year break as a substitute teacher (thanks recession). 2 degrees, 1 cert and working on another certificate. I think I've been 'working towards' my CCNA for over a decade.

I just found out the guy I replaced didn't graduate High School (GED). Obviously he sucked because I replaced him, but wtf kind of cracker jack outfit did I join? Oh, the same one that hired a new IT Security guy and then one day he didn't come in because he'd finally been sentenced for holding his former employer's network hostage for a ransom. And that's why they require background checks now!

EDIT: not to say you need a college degree or anything. I just kept hearing how difficult and valued it was becoming a FTE here and since converting all I've seen are terrible benefits and the realization I wasn't so special getting hired. A lot of Stockholm Syndromes up in this place.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 21:36 on May 3, 2018

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Nerdrock posted:

Yeah there's no such thing as working towards a college degree. You either have it or you do not.

Just 117 credits shy. Still counts a little.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Peachfart posted:

From a high-level view that isn't too bad, but if I heard that I'd ask for more details and if the person understood VLSM at all. I'm going to guess that was the entire answer though.

"...it's a sub network that travels underwater."

Nailed it.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Methanar posted:

Always blaming DNS is a lack of creativity of how things can go wrong.

Same, but the network.

"Oh, two VM's connected to the same switch and on the same VLAN can't connect and you think it's a network routing problem?"

It's an application process. It's always an application process.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Methanar posted:

I've literally had this happen before and have it be a networking problem.

Basically: ESXi is bad like all other software and standard vswitches will silently drop any packets that have DSCP flags set. Instead of, you know, ignoring the value and not taking any particular action based on the flags, ESXi will just throw away the whole packet.

And that's when you get real quiet on the conference call and act like you're as surprised as anyone that the issue just cleared up on its own.

Because otherwise they'll use that poo poo against you from that point on and will never even look at their servers until you've completed a full network health check.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

DropsySufferer posted:

I've finally made my way away from basic low level IT jobs.

It's weird because I don't know what to do with the downtime. I'm so used to someone being at my back to be busy or just look busy. Now the unsaid rule is that as long as I deal with my responsibilities no one cares what else I'm doing. I could be posting here all day as long as the job gets done.

I think I have PTSD from past jobs or something it's going take me a while to get used to this...

Welcome to that job your Boomer parents assumed everyone already had where you aren’t having to justify your work load down to the minute and hustle all day just trying to look busy.

You’ve arrived.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I dream of working in one of those departments that says, "nope, not our job."

I am forever in a generalist tech hell. Today I have a ticket in my queue to figure out how Indian associates can call into domestic conference calls. I am not in any department that handles phones.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
My favorite/most horrifying moment in this job was getting a call asking me why two sites in China had poor video conferencing reception. I didn't even know we had stuff in China and at no point did any of those packets cross over any device I had access to. It took a week to get rid of that ticket.

GreenNight posted:

I just had to buy a bunch of Cisco 7942g phones from Amazon. Used of course. Then when they arrive I have to firmware update them and set them up for new users. Then deliver them to the desks with the PC I also setup. PC generalist what?

I hope you didn't wipe those handsets down out of pure spite.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I've had two drug tests in six months (one for being a contractor, second for becoming a FTE). What a wonderful use of company resources.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
The only 'professional' job I never had to pee test for was working in a classroom, because they know you need something to deal with kids.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Our private military IT contractors all terrible? We just got a guy whose spent much of the last decade in the Middle East and Afghanistan and holy gently caress he's dense. Like you have to explain everything three times. He's old, talks like Bubba in Forest Gump describing shrimp, and wears Mister T style necklaces.

I wish I was joking on the Mister T style. It's a comically large silver diamond studded cross with several smaller chains. And he's wearing that over a polo shirt and Member's Only windbreaker. I really hope he wore that out in Kabul.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I thought I was gaming the system by staying hourly at my new job rather than hitting up the only slightly better paying salary level above me. Less stress, I get OT, and I leave everything behind when I walk out the door.

Except apparently salary people get much better benefits. Like to the extent that I've been here as a contractor/FTE for most of a year and just finally got a single day of PTO whereas salaried people don't even have to record their sick days. So much for thinking I'm going to get away with something.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Peachfart posted:

Well, you can have a company that provides proper vacation and sick time and still be hourly. Like mine.

Yeah, I get all the same benefit categories as salaried employees. I just don't get them in as great of numbers and quantities. Which is I guess good on their part since they want me to go salary as soon as I can and by that time I'll be so sick of this hourly poo poo that I'll probably let them tie me to an always available company cell phone/laptop.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

adorai posted:

Thursday morning, I was woken up with a phone call from one the managers who report to me. I missed the first call, but called him right back. I don't think I will ever forget the words that came from his mouth. He told me that one of his direct reports had died overnight (he named the person, but I am avoiding that under the pretense of internet anonymity). The gentleman in question was our second shift guy. He worked alone, every night, for over ten years. It was my understanding that he enjoyed that shift. He was a former marine, with no wife or kids. I think he saw actual combat in Desert Storm I, but I knew from experience with others that it was best to not ask him details. I had personally known him for nine years.

He died at work. At his desk. All alone. And he went undiscovered for almost 10 hours.

Life is too short to die at your desk dudes. Make sure you are doing the necessary things to maintain your health, and get out there and live. And most importantly, max out your 401k if you can (not just 10%, but $18,500/year) so you can retire before your risk factors catch up with you.

drat, that’s rough. My friend’s dad did that. Went to work one day, sat down in a chair and died. No one even noticed him for hours.

So do you keep the chair or get rid of it? Because good desk chairs are expensive, but that’s like a death chair now.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

22 Eargesplitten posted:

There was a case like that in the next town over. An old woman died, but she was known to travel to warmer areas in the winter. She was there nine months before someone found her. People had tried checking in on her, but she obviously didn’t answer the door, nobody knew how to contact her family, the only reason the fire department even could go in when her neighbor finally called them was they heard a low battery alarm from the smoke detector.

I found this out because I was checking out the place, which had since been put up for rent. I was wondering why it was so cheap, now I know.

I think there was a guy in here whose coworker shot himself, the blood dripped down into the server room, and the owners tried to make him clean up the blood that had fallen on the servers.

Kind of related because it was an IT co-worker, but there was a guy who made my working existence miserable for years. Never did any work and would disappear for hours at a time. We had a stupid system for tracking time and he was an expert at hogging all the easy tasks and being the top performing tech whereas time-consuming mission critical issues went to us. He was also our department's shop steward and even the CWA disliked him.The same CWA who sent a guy out to us with a story about how he got into a fist fight while gambling at work and the union saved his job. So if they've had enough of your poo poo, then you are not a good worker.

He must have treated his family the same because he went on short-term disability, died, and no one found his body for a month.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
My company is stingy as hell with internet and we use Riverbeds at all our retail locations. Like splitting public WiFi and merchant transactions and intranet across a couple of connections totaling maybe 3 to 6mb and making it work tolerably. Everything will grind to a halt because of Microsoft updates, but otherwise it's working better than it has any right to.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I have a friend who works for HPE and they've got a vending machine where you scan your badge and you get stuff like headsets that are automatically charged to your cost center. You probably get batteries the same way.

I was provided an in-ear headset used by the other guy who works the next shift. Like those rubbery tips that make a lot of contact with your ear canal. I had to make a manager find me something else. Even then it's the same headset, but I can at least take it apart and stow away the part that touches my ear.

We're one wrong move here from a major hepatitis outbreak.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 17:35 on May 16, 2018

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Thanks Ants posted:

I think he means people are packaging the certificate and key up as a PFX file and setting the password to the domain name and then spraying it all over a file share somewhere.

I thought he meant they were buying full fledged Entrust certs when a private CA certificate would work.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I hated my Note 2 so much I tried to deliberately destroy it. It took so loving long to break that thing. I figured it was un-repairable but no...apparently they're really easy to repair and I ended up with the same phone I hated, but out the $100 deductible. So Samsung's are the way to go for nigh-destructible phones, but you need the ugly all plastic ones.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Matt Zerella posted:

Next place I get to name servers at I'm using Sopranos characters.

I get it that Christopher is the server that's always loving up, but what is Big Pussy? A poorly patched firewall perhaps?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Matt Zerella posted:

It's a firewall with a govt backdoor.

Adriana is the server that you're planning to decommission real soon.

I've been looking for a new naming scheme for my home network, thanks.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
We pay millions for one department of Cisco to call us and ask us to troubleshoot a part of our network that another part of Cisco manages. The palpable disappointment in their voices when they realize they have to call Cisco makes me question if we're overpaying.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

I made the mistake of buying a HP laptop about 7 years ago. Within 3 months one of the rubber/plastic feet falls off. It's still under warranty and an obvious defect so I contact their support. Nope, wear and tear SORRY. Fine, I contact their CEO (I guess the one who got fired for sleeping around). That gets to their 'Presidential Escalations'. They send me a replacement part but it's the bottom half of the case instead of just one little rubber foot. But the bottom of the case has two parts and this isn't the part with the foot I'm missing (yes, they have two different styles of rubber feet on one laptop). We go back and forth, they send another wrong part. Turns out they don't have any way of replacing that piece. Like it doesn't exist in any inventory or database and this is a new laptop that's still being sold. They finally stop responding to my emails.

And yes, I got some tacky silicon and made my own, but it wasn't as good as the factory OEM. Fortunately it was a HP so it died after two years and I never had to deal with it again.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Like Android versus iOS, a lot is what you started on and where on the scale of love/hate you resided. I don't mind Windows, but I was using Mac OS before Windows 3.1 so the system seems more intuitive. I also like the quality of the software; MacOS always seemed to have more useful software made by small developers.

It's also real easy to get a good laptop because there's only one brand and all their models are pretty good. I'm sure HP, Dell, and Lenovo all have really good laptops, but they also have really lovely laptops and I'd prefer not to buy shift through all their crap to find the model they didn't cut corners on.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Inspector_666 posted:

Doesn't Apple have a shitload of their touchpad stuff patented, down to the surface feel and a lot of the gestures?

Apple touchpads have been good longer than any patent. Like an iBook from Bush's first term was better than the average Windows trackpad now. I'm sure Apple has patents out the whazzoo, but that's not why Windows trackpads suck.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
The economy's humming right now so IT should be flush. The key is upgrading everything right before a recession so you're not crippled with old hardware for the next 3 years. AT&T didn't do that and I spent 3 years scrounging to keep 5 to 6 year old machines running. I got grief for bringing in my own LCD monitor because all they had were rooms and rooms of washed out CRT's with funky horizontal lines running through them. Someone would leave and their desktop would get stripped to the bone before support could retrieve the hardware. No RAM ever made it back to inventory.

And then suddenly I had two 4ghz desktops because they finally approved an IT budget.

Current job has a perfectly good desktop, but they're upgrading everyone to laptops even though I do nothing that requires mobility.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

The Fool posted:

^- :argh:

5:01 pm

If the job is in one time zone, but HR is in another...

7:00pm.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Bob Morales posted:

They just released (well in 2016) the most expensive MacBook Pro ever!

8GB/128GB 13" MBP is $1299

The stupid loving touchbar one is $1799

16GB/256GB 15" is $2399

The Dell XPS 13 8GB/256GB is $1149
The Dell XPS 15 8GB/256GB is $1399
The 16GB/512GB model is $1640 for 1080p, $1999 for 4k touch screen

512GB is a $200 upgrade from Apple

Nobody in their right mind pays MSRP for Dell, and if you're smart you'll get $100-$200 off Apple from Best Buy or Mac Mall or some poo poo.

Laptop sales are down like 20% from their peaks and still trending lower. Companies may still be buying them, but consumers aren't, so the age of new laptops being cheaper than the models before them has passed. So yeah, the 2016 models were more expensive than the 2015 models.

I have no idea if Windows laptops are seeing price increases also or not. But if they haven't, then they will.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Nazattack posted:

HPE has come a long way in just a few years, inspiring to see such progress.

They just sold that business to another outfit. Sooo....maybe not.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Tab8715 posted:

It’s disabled entirely but there’s slowly becoming an angry rebellion of users that have wireless mice, keyboard and headsets that are annoyed. Every new device that cons out these days is Bluetooth.

Bluetooth is disabled here too, so I bought an USB Bluetooth transmitter and just use that. And yes, that's a very dumb idea and now that I think about it I should probably just bring in my wired trackball.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Close:

https://www.amazon.com/Kensington-T...ngton+trackball

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Schadenboner posted:

Is the ring lightly clicky (<- I don't know how to describe what that means other than feeling like turning the scroll wheel on a Microsoft Mouse)?

You know, I don't recall as I haven't used it in a couple of years. I can't remember if it had resistance, but at the same time I don't think it moved entirely freely. I'll know soon enough as I become that guy with the trackball again.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Bob Morales posted:

Steak and shake has the worst fries

Cheesesteaks are great but the one true sandwich is Italian beef

Steak & Shake fries are meant to be a delivery method. You either dip them in your shake or cover them with chili and cheese.

If you're eating them plain then you're doing it wrong.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
If you go to a Steak & Shake and look at their sign you'll see a "by Biglari" written in a small script on the bottom. That's Sardar Biglari, the CEO of the holding company that owns the restaurant. He 'licenses' his name for free to Steak & Shake. However if he ever gets terminated, he gets 2.5% of company revenue for the last 5 years, which works out to a 100 million dollar poison pill.

And that's my Steak & Shake story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Methanar posted:

I've never heard anyone else describe the feeling as a slideshow or low fps.

Drink more.

I used to get that effect as well, but I guess I got used to it.