Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terminal
Feb 17, 2003
The Void

Maneki Neko posted:

Anyone have any idea if the Comcast business gateway IP address is the IP address of their terrible modem/gateway thing?

We've got a customer who has a remote branch offices in another state using Comcast Business internet service and the office loses internet connectivity for 3-5 minutes randomly during the day every couple weeks and Comcast just gives us the ol' shrug.

I've got an external monitoring service checking the static IP from Comcast and the gateway IP they gave us (which is one number higher than the static) and when one drops the other drops as well.

The gateway is this thing, in bridge mode:

http://media2.comcast.net/anon.comcastonline2/support/helpandsupport/businessclass/help_articles/CB_BWG_QuickStartGuide_Rev%20%203%2014.pdf

Yes, the gateway IP is generally just above or below your static block.

Also, trash that Cisco into a dumpster fire. It will turn on public wifi automatically after every reboot, even if you have Comcast shut it off. No, you can't control that function yourself, only via a CSR. It drops sync constantly and Comcast will always just offer to have T2 "monitor" your connection for a bit. They may even send a tech out to fiddle with signal levels.

Ask for the Netgear business gateway. No public wifi, as rock solid a connection as coax can be, and no god awful non-standard webGUI. We have them at 2 sites with 150/20 service and 99.99% of our disconnect issues have stopped since having the Cisco's hauled away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terminal
Feb 17, 2003
The Void

Inspector_666 posted:

I used to work with a guy who did that, where does it come from?

We've got a salty former DIGITAL engineer in our office who does it, definitely seems to be a good ol' days trend. To be fair it can be awkward giving verbal paths or commands that mostly involve single syllable characters and then hitting something like "backslash" or "exclamation point" vs wack or bang. It still sounds ridiculous.

Terminal
Feb 17, 2003
The Void

scuz posted:

Dell shipped us the new OptiPlex 3040s with Windows 10 on them and I can't get Windows 7 to install on them. The Win7 installer doesn't see the drive because it needs drivers installed but the ones provided by Dell do not work (the installer errors out after you select the driver). I moved the drive to a different chassis, got Win7 installed and bootable on the drive, moved it back to the OptiPlex 3040, and it doesn't see the drive at all. I've asked our Dell rep about this and she hasn't gotten back to me, but Windows 10 on these machines is completely worthless to us. I loving hate wrestling with this kind of poo poo.

We did a lab or two full of 5040's earlier this year with Win7:

- Grab NTLite, a stock W7 ISO, Dell's WinPE .CAB, and the W7 driver .CAB from Dell's site for the 3040.
- Extract ISO (ideally to an SSD) and the two .CAB's all to individual folders.
- Load extracted ISO folder in NTLite.
- Load the W7 boot setup .WIM and slipstream the Dell WinPE drivers.
- Load the main W7 .WIM and slipstream the Dell 3040 drivers.
- Create new ISO.
- Throw on USB drive with your choice of ISO install burner, I recommend Rufus.

Install with that drive and let driver catalog magic happen. Do NOT under any circumstance run any of the Intel USB 3 installers manually, they will brick your USB ports until you reinstall.

If you still have issues PM me and I can throw up a pre-slipstreamed ISO somewhere.

Terminal
Feb 17, 2003
The Void

anthonypants posted:

Speaking of cabling, what's a good labeler? A good one.

Seconding the Brady labelers with cloth labels. Highly adjustable wire wrap mode that gives you a nice chunk of lead-in material so the label has good overlap. Attacked many an existing firewall/switch that's full of lovely Dymo wrap labels splitting at the seams and leaving gooey hell behind.

The cloth labels also stick really well to the various textured surface of modern branded desktops. Looking at you and your sandpaper-y powder coat, Dell.

Terminal
Feb 17, 2003
The Void

CLAM DOWN posted:

Hey all, I would like to survey the thread about something, would really appreciate your help. I'm trying to gather info outside of my own job history and experience, and I would like to use the results I expect from this as ammo at my current job.

1) Does your org allow working from home and/or remote work?
2) If yes to (1), how often/how much is allowed?
3) If yes to (1), are there any documented requirements for it to be allowed?
4) If no to (1), are there any reasons given why not?
5) Would you consider working for an org that does not permit working from home/remote work?
6) What country are you in?
7) Public or private sector?
8) Union or non-union?

Thank you extremely much.

1 - Maybe? Directors with laptops have been given the ability (sans explicit executive permission) to use the client VPN setup. At the same time there have been several cases of directors on extended medical being denied any permission to work despite them wanting to so as not to fall behind.
2 - See above, basically depends on the mood of the executive when asked.
3 - No documentation, the hardest part is Meraki's terrible client VPN.
4 - The claimed reason for the medical leave was that they're being paid out of sick leave which means we can't expect any work even if the employee wants to.
5 - Never done proper WFH so most likely yes, but currentJob is still very hands-on due to municipal tech/infra debt.
6 - US
7 - Public/municipal
8 - Union