Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

Zotix posted:

Has anyone had experience with TekSystems?

As a dev - There’s a spectrum of recruiting firms and their knowledge of the field.
One side, there’s devs that have side businesses placing people, (or vice versa)
On the other side there’s TekSystems
their recruiters are consistently the youngest and most inexperienced. All those badly written job descriptions?
They’re just matching a resume with exact wording of that.
Got 5 years experience in technology Y but they’re looking for competitor technology X? They’ll have no idea the experience is transferable.

I tell them I found a job elsewhere at $SAAS_FIRM and “Oh I’ve never heard of them? What do they do?”

They have an office with a big sign out front two blocks outside your regional office, and were founded in town fifteen years ago, and you don’t know who they are?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!

Zotix posted:

Jesus. I set my online profiles to be open to recruiters and it's like 20 different recruiters trying to get people for what seems like the same job. They all seem to be Indian and for the life of me I can't understand any of them on the phone. I just tell them to email me the details at this point so I can go over the details. They also can't disclose the client so you have no idea if this is the same job that you agreed to a previous recruiter with.

I’ve been there. The people who work those jobs live out of a suitcase and live ten to an apartment and send every cent home.

The major players TATA, HCL all have their own 3rd party recruiting firms that supply resumes to them.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!

mllaneza posted:

Next week I expect to encounter our in-house Excel plugins for the first time and that should be a jumbo can of fresh hell. IT didn't develop them, one of the R&D groups did.

Microsoft gives you the ability to create, but not the ability to manage.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

You guys get coffee machines!?! we had to all chip in and buy our own

My office had nitrogenated cold-brew which was smooth as silk, like drinking a sort of silky soft chocolate-coffee milk and would get you wired more than you should be wired.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!

Biowarfare posted:

Is that the only point of the nitrogen? I was wondering what those mini cans of monster energy with nitrogen were for

Don't know about Monster Energy.
There's a few Starbucks places that offer it, but its creamy like draft Guinness, very tiny bubbles, not like carbonation.
Different texture altogether from standard cold brew.

That was a Sometimes Drink, because Starbucks wants $6 )or $11 for the single origin stuff at a Roastery or Starbucks Reserve).
Work brought a tap in and replaced the keg every week. And then the virus hit.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!

bull3964 posted:

REI is bailing on their new headquarters that took 4 years to plan and build that was just finished this year that no one even got to move into yet.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busi...B-eCPLh5c5msaeE

Tracking the changes that result from all of this is going to be interesting. I wonder if there's going to be a surge of collaborative spaces springing up in apartment buildings or city centers that allow people to get out of their house to work, but aren't specifically an office complex for a company. What if, in the future, your coworkers aren't the people that work at the same company as you, but the people in your area that frequent a collaborative work space.

Holy poo poo, I’ve driven by there. It’s a massive, massive dig. Lots of new strips of apartment complexes, and shops were being set up there, too.
Redmond / Kirkland / Bellevue ain’t cheap and traffic is poo poo

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!

Internet Explorer posted:

This isn't even remotely uncommon. Companies move slow as gently caress. Many will just ghost you instead of saying you didn't get the job.

Both Starbucks and Microsoft ghosted me. You’d think they’d have a better process to prevent the right assholes being on vacation at the right time to gum up the works just so

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!

Wizard of the Deep posted:

The best part of that was having the boss three levels up tell me three months later that because of all the work saved by automation, my position was being eliminated!

So they fired the guy who knew enough about the system to automate it, and ifwhen something goes wrong or they want something added, they're up poo poo creek.
Nice. MBA education really paying for itself there.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!

Sickening posted:

To be fair the 18 year old version of you would have been less prepared regardless how you feel about it. I also super sympathize because I had just started trying to learn GO a few months ago and it took way too long to even start making any practical sense to me. Just keep after it. It will get better if you don't give up.

There’s the single threaded Go that gets used for little scripts and basic web apps n’ stuff and then there the world of interfaces, channels, go-routines that I feel I should learn but are hella hard when starting on a brand new project with no working examples. Like, any sort of batch processing daemon that relies on message queues. It’s a double bitch only having time on the weekends and for it to not be a work project.

Also, 18 year old me discovered SA and the broadband internet in college and the subsequent dicking around made homework and study nothing but painful.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!
i worked for a competitor of veeam and now that name is dust in the wind :unsmith:

quote:

dont ever work for a MSP you'll be exploited hard

my little bro works helpdesk at an MSP and I keep trying to get him to do job hunting but "nah, things this month weren't as bad as last month."

"dude, there's a million infosec positions going unfilled, it's orthogonal to your existing MS certs and you'll never be out of work again."

"nah..."

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!
We have a great system to track our certs, it warns you when they expire, let’s you know how they’re being used, which team owns them ... except one wasn’t entered into our system and the guy that did it is now working elsewhere.

Guess what happened today.

Anyway, got to meet the CTO, the VP of product, several SREs, the escalation engineers who follow up with customers...

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Oct 30, 2020

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!
I was at Accenture for a bit and there were people on staff looking to standardize customer engagements to eliminate gaps in this or that.....

Buuuuuuuut this is like “what if we paid some people to sit in a room and be Agile Process Thought Leaders?” but in practice it’s
“What if we eliminated unit testing and paired programming because it’s just getting in the way of getting features out the door?”

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!

Sickening posted:

I got hit with this about an employer I had more than a decade ago and I had to go to my loving taxes. Not only did I have to submit them, I had to debate with this 3rd party service over some dates on it like any of it loving mattered. I was livid. I redacted so much of it (because hey , privacy) that they complained.

I was close to telling them to go gently caress themselves but I was so deep in the process it too late. Still not very glad I did it.

I spent a decent amount of the last decade contracting here and there and when I came across a country that wanted seven years of employment verification. In the end it did just wind up as a stack of W2s after some of these contracting firms just didn’t keep records for going back a few years.

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Nov 8, 2020

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!

Vulture Culture posted:

Terraform is about ten minutes of learning, followed by memorizing a lifetime of idiosyncratic details about your cloud provider

Yup. A TF provider is a nice wrapper around an API, but the api itself is something you’ll have to learn, beats powershell or AWS - cli or straight up REST calls for that purpose, though.

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Nov 29, 2020

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!

The Iron Rose posted:

Me too! First day as an SRE.

https://twitter.com/SimpsonsOps/status/1326314471971696640?s=20

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!
I type apt-get out of habit because i started with Debian Potato

modern apt will download several packages at the same time. Good stuff

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!
hello linux friends

ubuntu's site says hirsute hippo 21.04 is now generally available as of yesterday but do-release-upgrade is still pointing to the old release. Do they just do ISO downloads first and then allow for upgrades later or what?

thanks for ur time and attention and best and kindesst regards <3

http://divajutta.com/doctormo/ubunchu/

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!
Someone Who Isn’t Me’s CFO: “Ah, I’m leaving for greener pastures. One thing, we were late on paying rent for the office space … nothing to worry about now but in the future if the doors are locked, here is the number for Leslie in accounting.”

SWIM’s boss seems to have stopped learning stuff in 2006, but speaks techno babble to the higher ups as to why the fax system doesn’t work. Somehow has a history of senior roles in bullshit companies.

SWIM is starting a new job this week.

E:
Told SWIM not to join an MSP again, he says this is “one of the good ones”

Did you know there are placement firms that entirely serve MSPs? Just an industry specific niche.

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Feb 9, 2022

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!

i am a moron posted:

I legit didn't even know people do W2 contracting. I thought it was some kind of a myth.

Large corps typically use vendors. I was salaried FTE to Accenture working for Microsoft among others

Staff augmentation kinda sucks still

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!
The contracts I've had that ask for a drug test have always been a little :thunk:
Now, finance, they wanted my fingerprints! :q:

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!
Friend of mine is making $60/hr as a contractor as a Governance/Risk/Compliance analyst for a technically and culturally moribund Dunder-Mifflin like co. He was hired because he has plenty of MS security and Azure certs and loves PowerShell.
He’s been there a year and had the promise that he’d be converted to an FTE but thinks the place isn’t for him because the job title may as well be “Crowdstrike Janitor”. He currently thinks his boss is having him train up his FTE replacement.

He tells me he’s going to give his two weeks, and would rather be studying for more certs and then go job hunting for something better. I’m more of a “Winter Is Coming” mindset for the US economy and he won’t be able to line up another position for months. He’s totally fine with that. But, late 30’s only a few grand in the bank, but only a few debts but he’s totally fine with no cushion.

I’m a senior SDE at a company with FAANG and US Gov customers and the only time I left without lining up anything was when my manager was downplaying my work and mentioned a PIP as a means to motivate me. (Said psycho manager is now a director at Goog, jeez).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!
Burning a weekend to do more learning on AWS. Except mapping from "Here's how IAM works" and "Here is how my company has set it up and how to debug it" are two different things.