Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Volguus posted:

One of the 100 billion communication protocols in existence. People have been communicating one with another in writing for at least 5400 years, verbally for a lot longer. To even "look for a communication protocol" in TYOOL 2018 is quite funny. Not only that, but to choose an unreliable & expensive one when everything else is available is either incompetence or malfeasance.
To even ask for "proposed alternative" ... jesus. On what planet are you living on?

This sounds like the insane ranting of a crazy person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

There is literally nothing that is improved by adding blockchain. Nothing.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

WHAT ABOUT AI

One good test for AI would be asking it if there is anything that is improved by blockchain. If it says yes then burn it to the ground and start over.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

beepsandboops posted:

Right now our only on-perm storage is a 6-year-old homebrew Solaris file server that anybody can upload to anonymously and is not backed up or managed in any real way.

Needless to say, I'm going to be replacing it ASAP. I'm going to talk with our VAR to see what our options are in terms of hardware, but I was curious what folks here have good experiences with. It seems like a lot of the storage vendors I've touched or heard good things about end up getting acquired (Nimble) or crashing and burning (Tintri) anyway.

Pure Storage.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Internet Explorer posted:

Remote Desktop / VDI

Well, I wouldn’t say that they’re good for that. If you want a good experience you should still be using a profile management tool like Liquidware or UEM or something. But if you don’t have one of those, yea, they’re pretty much required for non-persistent desktops.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Docjowles posted:

AWS is re:Invent not Ignite :cmon:. Also I am going again this year for some reason, anyone else?

the reason is to get a paid week in Vegas

I’ll be at Re:Invent this year as well. I asked to go, though I don’t really know why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Docjowles posted:

I know where your new avatar came from, and it is goddam amazing :allears:

Would theoretically be down for a Vegas goon meet but in practice I had about 5 seconds of free time per day last year and I wanted to use those for introvert downtime.

No worries, my girlfriend is coming with so I doubt I’ll have much free time anyway. And I definitely get the introvert downtime thing. Being around people all day for days in a row is exhausting.