Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Vargatron posted:

I had a boss like that and I eventually just got another job. It got pretty exhausting having a stand up meeting every morning to have our troubleshooting methodology question and constantly be reminded of the "OSI troubleshooting model".

My previous job had a tiresome boss who spun us round in similar circles. I bounced after a year of waiting for him to be fired for his inability to manage people and a host of other major problems he caused. Upper management told me multiple times they were trying to solve that problem (get rid of him) and they never made the move. I realize now in hindsight (and with some conversations) that they didn't can him because they didn't think anyone on my team would step up and take his place until a replacement was found.

Looking back, I regret not making a balls to the wall Hail Mary attempt at doing just that. Could have been great, could have fixed so many process and technical problems and really built the team to be high performing. And if it had failed I could have bounced anyways.

See Matt? Matt has tiny balls. Don't be like Matt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

madmatt112 posted:

My previous job had a tiresome boss who spun us round in similar circles. I bounced after a year of waiting for him to be fired for his inability to manage people and a host of other major problems he caused. Upper management told me multiple times they were trying to solve that problem (get rid of him) and they never made the move. I realize now in hindsight (and with some conversations) that they didn't can him because they didn't think anyone on my team would step up and take his place until a replacement was found.

Looking back, I regret not making a balls to the wall Hail Mary attempt at doing just that. Could have been great, could have fixed so many process and technical problems and really built the team to be high performing. And if it had failed I could have bounced anyways.

See Matt? Matt has tiny balls. Don't be like Matt.
I've made this play twice in my career and it paid off both times

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Are roaming profiles like, still a thing? How do you handle portable devices? Outlook OSTs?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yes. Poorly. No.

I wouldn't recommend them if you're not doing something like Citrix/RDS.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

What about OneDrive with known folder redirection? I basically just want to handle if someone loses/destroys their Surface while out and about. Everyone is supposed to keep stuff on the network when possible but obviously when you're out at a site working on something without any kind of network access the work is gonna be done locally.

So like, backups I guess? I don't know any of this poo poo, I just write software.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

BIGFOOT EROTICA posted:

What about OneDrive with known folder redirection? I basically just want to handle if someone loses/destroys their Surface while out and about. Everyone is supposed to keep stuff on the network when possible but obviously when you're out at a site working on something without any kind of network access the work is gonna be done locally.

So like, backups I guess? I don't know any of this poo poo, I just write software.

I like this https://www.code42.com/features/backup-restore/ for people who are tenuously connected to the network and need to be able to work locally for extended periods and also keep their poo poo from getting lost forever.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

BIGFOOT EROTICA posted:

Are roaming profiles like, still a thing? How do you handle portable devices? Outlook OSTs?

Yes they're still a thing, no don't use them with laptops.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Thanks Ants posted:

Yes they're still a thing, no don't use them with laptops.

What is a good use case for roaming profiles? With all the problems and downsides I've heard of them, I just don't understand when they're actually a good choice.

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

BIGFOOT EROTICA posted:

I'm a proponent of OneDrive for Business in windows shops that already have O365 anyway. Especially with a space constrained tablet device some of the new selective sync features are really awesome.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

MF_James posted:

What is a good use case for roaming profiles? With all the problems and downsides I've heard of them, I just don't understand when they're actually a good choice.

Remote Desktop / VDI

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

MF_James posted:

They were fine when you sat and used a desktop PC in an office - you didn't need to worry about endpoint backup as everything important was synced back to a file share somewhere, and it made replacing the PC easy. I don't see many offices now where people aren't just handed a laptop that they use for a few years before getting it upgraded, and they use OneDrive / Google Drive / whatever for files. For environments where there's actual hot-desking taking place like shift workers in a call centre then VDI/TS (with a profile disk) is a much better option than waiting for a roaming profile to load and then get itself hosed up when someone powers the PC down at the end of the day.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
We use profile redirects. Probably wouldn't work well in a larger organization (does not work with DFS), and we've run into some issues with it before, but overall, my experiences with it have been way, way better than my experiences with roaming profiles.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Thanatosian posted:

We use profile redirects. Probably wouldn't work well in a larger organization (does not work with DFS), and we've run into some issues with it before, but overall, my experiences with it have been way, way better than my experiences with roaming profiles.

There aren't many profile tools that work with DFS-R on active/active. You can do active/passive with a manual rollover. You can also still use DFS-N. I'd actually recommend DFS-N for any of your file shares. It makes things a lot easier to maintain, even if you're not using DFS-R.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Internet Explorer posted:

Remote Desktop / VDI

Oh I feel dumb for asking now

There aren't many profile tools that work with DFS-R on active/active. You can do active/passive with a manual rollover. You can also still use DFS-N. I'd actually recommend DFS-N for any of your file shares. It makes things a lot easier to maintain, even if you're not using DFS-R.

Speaking of DFS-N, we have a 2 node cluster (active/passive), probably 50% of the time we do fail-over the namespaces won't work until we restart the DFS service on the now active server, it's really loving annoying but i haven't had time to really dig into fixing it because there are 1000000 other fires to put out. Have you, or anyone else for that matter, run into this and know why it's a problem?

MF_James fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Aug 13, 2018

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I have not, sorry.

Separately, I really loving hate troubleshooting licensing issues. It's always a gigantic waste of time and the licensing process always sucks. Sure, it's gotten better over the years but I don't even want to think about how many hours I've wasted on licensing issues in my career. We've paid for your software, gently caress off.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
I am in the process of standardizing how my department (NOC) handles inbound emails. We work almost entirely out of DLs and mail enabled security groups so everyone can receive and respond to mail regardless of who is on shift. Is there a way to push folders and rules to Outlook via Group Policy or will we need to walk each tech through setting it up the same way?

Right now everyone has their own system (or no system), and it's a mess - emails constantly get missed for days until one of us digs through hundreds of conversations to find the ones that need to be worked - internal threads, ISPs, vendors, customers, etc.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

I am in the process of standardizing how my department (NOC) handles inbound emails. We work almost entirely out of DLs and mail enabled security groups so everyone can receive and respond to mail regardless of who is on shift. Is there a way to push folders and rules to Outlook via Group Policy or will we need to walk each tech through setting it up the same way?

Right now everyone has their own system (or no system), and it's a mess - emails constantly get missed for days until one of us digs through hundreds of conversations to find the ones that need to be worked - internal threads, ISPs, vendors, customers, etc.

Not sure if you can push rules but you can download the templates and see what exists in there: https://www.microsoft.com/en-nz/download/details.aspx?id=49030

Those are for 2016, not sure which version you're on.

Read a bit more, seems rules at the very least cannot be managed via GPO (as of outlook 2013), you'd have to export them from what you want your default to be then import them via script or something (or manually...)

MF_James fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Aug 13, 2018

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

MF_James posted:

Not sure if you can push rules but you can download the templates and see what exists in there: https://www.microsoft.com/en-nz/download/details.aspx?id=49030

Those are for 2016, not sure which version you're on.

Read a bit more, seems rules at the very least cannot be managed via GPO (as of outlook 2013), you'd have to export them from what you want your default to be then import them via script or something (or manually...)

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. I've almost got it built out though, so hopefully our internal guys can run a script.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Am I being dense or do you just need to start working out of a ticketing system?

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

Just assign people to take the emails, enter them in an spreadsheet, then email that to a distro. It’s a good idea trust me.

(I couldn’t find the sarcasm with gun to head smiley in the SA app)

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, that's insanity. Stop trying to run a NOC without a ticketing system.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I was troubleshooting a KMS server today that kept coming back "count reported by KMS is insufficient" when our non-persistent VDIs were trying to activate. Problem is, this server has been running for years and has done something like 60k+ activations and this problem appeared out of nowhere. Turns out, it somehow lost (!??!!) two of the non-duplicate activations and went from a "current count" of 25 down to a "current count" of 23.

In the VDI world, KMS is always a bit of a pain. You have to spin up 25 non-VDI machines and activate them so that your KMS server will start working. From then on out, the VDIs should activate no problem. How this KMS server "lost" not one, but two of those activations is a mystery to me and something I have never seen or heard of before. Has anyone ever run into this?

Super frustrating. Also, gently caress you Microsoft.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
We have a ticketing system (ServiceNOW) We are just now getting email integrated with it (where we can read/send inside the ticket). We have 10 or so different queues for tickets and a lot of communication with departments that don't use the ticketing system, vendors and ISPs that won't use it, and customers that get treated like snowflakes and bypass it.

It's overly complicated for a department that has at most 10 people on shift at any given time (and usually only 3-5), but that is far out of my purview or influence; it's entrenched and I am not in a position to change it. What I have been tasked with is setting up a universal set of email rules and folders so everyone works the same way and to give us better visibility to incoming communication and make accountability easier for the handful of fucks that 'didn't see' given emails or were legitimately swamped so the next shift knows where to start.

It's far from an ideal solution, I know this, and we could probably make it work from inside SNOW alone, but management doesn't want to go that way, and this will at least mitigate the problem. Across all of our addresses we receive over 400 emails a day, and mgmt wants to address that rather than drastically change our process. :shrug:

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

I was troubleshooting a KMS server today that kept coming back "count reported by KMS is insufficient" when our non-persistent VDIs were trying to activate. Problem is, this server has been running for years and has done something like 60k+ activations and this problem appeared out of nowhere. Turns out, it somehow lost (!??!!) two of the non-duplicate activations and went from a "current count" of 25 down to a "current count" of 23.

In the VDI world, KMS is always a bit of a pain. You have to spin up 25 non-VDI machines and activate them so that your KMS server will start working. From then on out, the VDIs should activate no problem. How this KMS server "lost" not one, but two of those activations is a mystery to me and something I have never seen or heard of before. Has anyone ever run into this?

No I've never run into that and it sounds dumb as hell. 25 seems to be a rather arbitrary minimum.

:hai:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It used to be 50 for client OSes and 10 for server OSes. Microsoft relaxed the requirement some time ago to 25/5.

Apparently there is a mechanism for reducing the current count. Didn't know about that, somehow never ran into an issue that made it important to know.
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff793434.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

"To track the activation threshold, the KMS host keeps a record of the KMS client computers that request activation. The KMS host gives each KMS client computer a client machine identification (CMID) designation, and the KMS host saves each CMID in a table. Each activation request remains in the table for 30 days. When a client computer renews its activation, the cached CMID is removed from the table, a new record is created, and the 30-day period begins again. If a KMS client computer does not renew its activation within 30 days, the KMS host removes the corresponding CMID from the table and reduces the activation count by one."

Must be that my Citrix Provisioning Server(s) are not properly handling their KMS-magic duties and my solution of just spinning up a couple of plain old Windows 7 VMs, running slmgr /rearm, and getting our count back up to 25 is only going to be a temporary solution.

Fun.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Aug 13, 2018

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Remote Desktop / VDI

Well, I wouldn’t say that they’re good for that. If you want a good experience you should still be using a profile management tool like Liquidware or UEM or something. But if you don’t have one of those, yea, they’re pretty much required for non-persistent desktops.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

I didn't even know KMS servers were still a thing. I thought it was AD integrated now.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

adorai posted:

I didn't even know KMS servers were still a thing. I thought it was AD integrated now.

What enterprise doesn't have legacy stuff around?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

AFAIK Windows 7 isn't supported for AD integrated. Windows 10 migration is planned for this year but I could fill an E/N thread with how dysfunctional my place has been over the past 2-3 years.

I want to leave but I also want to change what I'm doing. I've got some work to do before that happens.

dox
Mar 4, 2006
Highly recommend AD-based activation, gently caress the KMS DNS-based shenanigans-- no minimal requirements!

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

AFAIK Windows 7 isn't supported for AD integrated. Windows 10 migration is planned for this year but I could fill an E/N thread with how dysfunctional my place has been over the past 2-3 years.

I want to leave but I also want to change what I'm doing. I've got some work to do before that happens.

You are me???

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

My boss has been out for four weeks. The work is still getting done, and everyone is 95% less stressed than usual.

I like the guy and always considered him a good boss, but this month of "freedom" has been eye opening in terms of how he manages the team.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

You are right, I checked, we are still running our Windows 2008 R2 KMS server.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

One of the benefits of working for academia-- run out of MAKs? Whatever, here's 500 more, that'll hold you over for a while

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

adorai posted:

You are right, I checked, we are still running our Windows 2008 R2 KMS server.

Thank you. Good to know I'm not too far behind the times. :)

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

CloFan posted:

One of the benefits of working for academia-- run out of MAKs? Whatever, here's 500 more, that'll hold you over for a while

That's not just academia, Microsoft will give you a ton of MAK keys. Whatever you're licensed for. It's more of an architecture thing.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Hell I still have XP machines all over the place.

Just manufacturing things.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Gross.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

MF_James posted:

We use them for our receptionists, create one profile once so you don't need to make it for each of our sites reception desktops. Otherwise i see few valid reasons for going to the effort of testing each third party app for roaming profile/folder redirection support while just creating a ten or twenty-something gig user share for their documents and call it a day would have pretty much the same effect.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Aug 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Hell I still have XP machines all over the place.

Just manufacturing things.

Same here, I've still got a handful of XP machines on the factory floor for legacy software running legacy equipment that the business refuses to replace since the company as a whole has lost money for years. I do at least have them on their own VLAN that's blocked from the internet via firewall. When it's working the business doesn't let IT so much as look at it, but when that poor ATA drive from 1994 finally gives up the ghost IT naturally gets thrown under the bus for not having had a replacement production line years ago. Such is IT.

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Aug 14, 2018