Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

CLAM DOWN posted:

Got an open case with MS Premier now, but the problem is that SQL Server does not recognize a valid cert in Windows, the drop-down menu is empty. A common cause for this is a mismatched CN (must be hostname or FQDN) or incorrect usage rights, but everything is valid on the cert. I can also select the cert for RDP, so I know Windows can see it, but for some reason SQL Server cannot.

Pretty sure you need the SAN field populated too, regardless of whether or not it's actually a SAN cert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

CLAM DOWN posted:

Tried generating the cert a couple different ways with san&dns=hostname.fqdn, hostname, no change. Has digital signature and key enchipherment rights, and server authentication as extended usage, 2048 bit and nothing else non-standard. Pretty loving weird.

I know I had a lot of trouble getting ours to work. I'm assuming the cert meets the requirements from http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms189067(v=sql.105).aspx

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

skipdogg posted:

If you're not meeting SLA you need more staff.

Or you need more qualified staff, or more boundaries around what constitutes a "supportable incident", or more automation, or, or, or. Understanding WHY you're not meeting your SLA is the correct next step.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

NippleFloss posted:

Yes, you can visualize AD, just have multiple physical hosts and set affinity rules to keep your redundant DCs on different hosts, have an external time server to point everything to, and disable DRS for those VMs.

In VMware-land, you can't have affinity (we're actually talking about anti-affinity here) without DRS, which means you're on at least Enterprise licensing.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

whaam posted:

Anyone have any real world experience with the new Dell Force10 switches? Looking at the N3000 line for branch office L3 routing and distribution. On paper, we can get the same switch as the 3750X(IP Services) for literally 1/6th the price. Obviously I have some reservations about Dell vs Cisco but I've heard several people have good experiences with this new line.

I'd post this in the Cisco Questions thread - despite the title, it's really enterprise networking questions.

edit: I'm not sure where you got the 1/6th of the price figure from. Going on list price alone, a Force10 N3024 is $2400 while a WS-C3750X-24T-S is $6500. Also, I'd recommend Cisco refurb if you want the brand but don't want to pay full price. The refurb stuff is great, and is covered by the same warranty/SMARTnet that the new ones are, but you save about 30%. For reference my pricing on a refurb WS-C3750X-24T-S is the same price as a new Force10.

Richard Noggin fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Oct 10, 2014

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

Super Slash posted:

I've only given my number to two lovely ladies I'm on great terms with who work the out of hours service in case of a big emergency.

I guess you could call that...a reBOOTY call! :tutbutt:

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

bitterandtwisted posted:

:words: There was a one bedroom flat with a combined kitchen/living room charging £1300 a month in rent. :stare:

Holy poo poo. I just did the math and that's $2,000 US. I hope there are blowjobs included with that.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

psydude posted:

That's about average for some parts of NY, SF, and DC. Of course, the salaries largely compensate for it (but not entirely).

That's more than my 20 year mortgage on a $230k house (1700 sqft) on 16 acres, and my oven doesn't share wall space with my television. Just sayin'.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

psydude posted:

Okay, but when I lived in Arlington I could go weeks without driving because everything that I needed (groceries, night life, friends, and a free shuttle to work), was all within walking distance or easily accessible via mass transit. There's more to picking a living space than how much grass you want to mow and how much space you have to fill with furniture.

Of course. I wasn't trying to disparage anyone's living situation, but rather express surprise at how expensive rent can be in the city.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

ghostinmyshell posted:

Thanks .net updates, 3 hour windows update sessions for an OOTB 2012R2 server to current.

And this is why I keep VMware templates of 2008 R2, 2012, and 2012 R2 patched and current.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

Misogynist posted:

Briantist has some PowerShell scripts to automate this, he should probably post them.

I'll elaborate a bit - we keep "template" VMs running, with Automatic Updates enabled. Periodically, we run a script that leverages ovftool to shut down the VMs, make an ovf template, and copy them to a web server. From there, we can just point VMware at the web server and we have up-to-date templates available from anywhere.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

[Nuclear launch detected]

Kinda coasting right now, reaching out to Sysadmin positions on Indeed and seeing if anything sticks.

How about a nice game of chess?

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default
For all of you budding server admins: when you're provisioning storage, for the love of Christ please don't carve out a 2TB volume when all you need is 30GB. If you need more space down the road, it's really easy to extend volumes in Windows (and probably Linux, but that's not my area) but quite the pain in the rear end to shrink them to a more manageable size after the fact.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

BigPaddy posted:

But storage is cheap :downs:

So are replacement retards.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

Zaepho posted:

Conversely, If you're administering and provisioning storage for Christ's sake allow for a sane system drive size! Extending system drives is scary and something to avoid! I have these companies that have a standard of 16-20GB OS Drives. Seriously! Thin provision me but at LEAST give me 30GB so the drat thing doesn't run out of space down the line due to patches.

Extending system drives on Server 2008 and up is trivial. I've done it countless times and never had a single problem. That's not to say you shouldn't have a recent backup to CYA, but there's really nothing to be scared of.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default
I know it's not apples, but I have a two day old install of 2012 R2 consuming 17.5GB.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

psydude posted:

Got a request to deploy some Modbus SCADA signatures to our sensors. I tried calling several departments that manage physical/industrial security to see if they have any machinery or systems that utilize it on their PLCs/ICMs, but none of them know. I think this points to one of the bigger problems with industrial security, which is that the people generally in charge of maintaining these types of systems usually have no idea about the technical underpinnings.

Which is exactly why Stuxnet was so successful.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

Roargasm posted:

Another convincing reason not to buy a fridge with a wifi card in it.

Just wrap the fridge in tin foil.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

TWBalls posted:

This seems like the most appropriate of the IT threads to ask this. It seems that the Radiology director is getting a bit overwhelmed with doing his normal day to day stuff as well as being the 'PACS Admin'. I feel like my current position is pretty much a dead end, so I'm quite interested in this possible upcoming position and he knows that I'm quite capable as a PC/Server and sometimes network tech. However, I don't know much about PACS. So, I know there's more than a few other fellow healthcare IT folks here. Whats the best way to start learning PACS? More specifically, McKesson PACS (Recently upgraded to v. 12).

I'm definitely going to be searching around on this when I get home, but I thought I'd ask here as well.

McKesson will have training. PACS as a concept is fairly straightforward, but each vendor does things differently. You could always talk to the dude and see if he can offload some of the more basic admin functions to you, and learn as you go.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

Tab8715 posted:

Are you guys running cabling? It's really something that should be left to electricians.

By electrician you mean qualified cabling contractor, right? Most electricians don't know jack poo poo about how to properly run CATx, nevermind terminate it.

e: goddammit beaten

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default
I'd ask in the Cisco short questions thread. Don't let the title mislead you, it's general networking too.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Is it common for companies to offer paid training in exchange for a contract, e.g., we pay for a $3000 training and you agree to stay for x years or pay back the training?

What kind of ratios are common/reasonable? 1 year for $1000, 1 year for $5000 etc?

Our company does something like this, but I'm not sure of the ratio. I'd get it in writing that if you are terminated by them that you're not responsible for that cost.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

adorai posted:

Philosophically, we are not opposed to putting anything in ~*my butt*~ but there are barriers to doing so that are difficult to surmount for many applications.

Thank you, Cloud to Butt Extention. This is the best one yet.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

Colonial Air Force posted:

It comes at the cost of the right salary, but not enough that I mind too much.

E: I mean, I work on a loving mountain and I get to ski whenever I want.

I want a pic of you skiing in a revwar getup. For...posterity. Yeah....

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

Next winter, you got it! For that matter, you can come up here and take the picture, I should be able to get a couple free passes.

I'm thinking of doing a WW2 Ski Troop impression too....

Deal.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

SaltLick posted:

Hurray quitting. Lol ridiculous poo poo afterwards. Hope the company is going down in flames

This, and congratulations dude. Drink an adult beverage or six, and let us know how it went down when you can. Just don't DAF poo poo.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default
Get the gently caress out

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default
I'm (lightly) using Spiceworks for this. Seems to do the job, but I've only been using it for 3 months.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default
Check out Dashlane. After hearing the news this morning, I installed it and am giving it a test drive. There are a ton of people at /r/sysadmin recommending it; not one downvote that I've seen so far. First impression is that it's cleaner and faster than LP - and I love(d) LP. Hopefully they will offer a promo deal to lure in LP expats.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default
Yup. I'd recommend using an account with read-only rights to that DB, but you are definitely not the first.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

Walked posted:

Alright guys; dumb question that google isnt helping with.

http://networkdiagram101.com/?page_id=334

I'm trying to get my connectors to have the same sort of perspective effect shown on this page. I'm strugging and cant seem to find any notes as to how to do that. Any ideas?

You want isometric/oblique connectors.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

devmd01 posted:

We do get after hours boss emails because he's a workaholic, but there's not an expectation to read work emails afterhours because issues that can't wait until the morning are communicated via phone.

This is how this should read, and how my users are instructed.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

I like ESET a lot

Thirding this. Running it in a similarly sized environment and It Just Works.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

we_eat_dirt posted:

Anyone had any dealings with ransomware attacks? We are currently dealing with .crypt and .crysis file encryptions on one of our services and a file server. Not had any dealings with this before, wondering if there is a place we can start looking for possible holes in our infrastructure.

AppLocker/SRP to prevent stuff running from %appdata%, cryptocanary (using FSRM with dummy files to detect attacks), disabling macros in Office apps, dumping executables in email, user education, user education, user ed...you get the point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

bull3964 posted:

If you have a 100% changeover in data, your storage snap could hit the full size of the volume, but that's it. It won't lead to the hilarious VMWare situation of a 1tb snapshot for a 30gb machine.

If you had the maximum number of snapshots (32), each containing 100% changes, you'd be at ~1TB. The max size of a single VMware snapshot is the size of the underlying base disk.. If you've ever seen this in a production environment, someone should be fired.