Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Legacyspy
Oct 25, 2008

SlyFrog posted:

Everyone on the team was ranting about me. I just do not understand how people can be so delusional as to not own up (mentally) to any of their own gently caress ups.

I was just more amazed that literally all 15 deaths could somehow be ascribed to be the jungler's sole fault in their minds (they literally said that, "All those deaths are because you haven't ganked," never mind that I somehow got a couple of kills and assists apparently without ganking).

I think that I probably just need to stop playing anyone who isn't immediately recognized as a "jungler" in the Bronze/Silver world. It just throws people off too much, whether it is right or wrong. Of course I'm stupid, so I'll probably keep playing things like Fiora jungle anyway. :)

Seriously,don't concern your self with this stuff. Its a waste of time. Mute them and move on. If you enjoy playing Fiora and Fiddle jungle keep doing it. Both are fine junglers.

And if you find your self on a losing streak take a break. You'll be playing even just a little bit worse then your more consistent state of play. It may not be apparent but even just incredibly minor mistakes can cause you to lose games you would otherwise of have won.

quote:

his initiate sucks, he's too slow. to use your ult you'd need a flash handy too.

Not really. Thats only true if your fighting in like completely open ground. Like right in the center of mid lane, or at inhibitors. Anywhere else and there always cliffs you can ult through to gain distance, or bushes. Also to gain distance you can ult preemptively as the enemy is advancing, so they walk into where your ult is going to land.

Legacyspy fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Aug 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legacyspy
Oct 25, 2008

Baldbeard posted:

How should one think of their performance as a support in a lost game? Like if I go 2/5/20 as a support, does that score show that I at least "did my part" or is score really not an indicator? I've been playing Nami support in Gold, and win or lose seems so dependent on my ADC, that I'm not really sure how to gauge my contribution.

Its really hard to say from just a number. There are things you can do aside from focus on helping your ADC. Are you trying to get most of the dragons? Map/Vision control? Are there openings where you can roam mid early game? Help your jungler if he is invaded/ing. Ward up & contest their blue etc...

Also in my experience Nami is a much more subtle champion in the power she brings to the game than other supports. I've been playing her and It sometimes I feels like I haven't done as much as I could have on other champions, but I know that isn't the case. It's just harder to see.

Legacyspy
Oct 25, 2008
I don't if this still works, but this is how I got a bunch of champions:

https://serve.com/leagueoflegends/

I signed up for that card and did a direct deposit for 20$ from by bank account to it, and got the 10k rp.

Then when ever there was a sale I just bought what ever 4.8/6.3 k lp were on sale.

Legacyspy
Oct 25, 2008

Poulpe posted:

Eh, no, every time you look at a feature you have to think "what would a "trolly" 14 year old do with this?" Giving one person the ability to spitefully pause the game any number of times during the match is obnoxious.

Even if it were only allowed to happen once per match, you'd better believe it would happen every time you pissed someone off.

Its a question of cost effectiveness. Would the more beneficial uses outweigh the negative uses?

Or there are even other things you could do. Like add a pauses system where anyone can unpause and you can only pause a few times per player. So if anyone disagrees the game is immediately unpaused. If we develop a culture amongst players, where it is expected that we don't unpause for a few minutes if some d/cs then we get a benefit with out a very minor cost.

Legacyspy fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Aug 15, 2014

Legacyspy
Oct 25, 2008
I had a game earlier with a full AP trynd on my team, nashors, lich bane, hat and zhonyas. The rengar on my team bought and sold a zhonyas to pick up a rageblade. The game ended 29-29 when the enemy team engaged on us 5v3 and rengar and trynd came in the side and took and inhib then nexus. We had already got the nexus turrets earlier.

Pretty weird game over all. Trynd pushed really, really hard but got caught a fair amount and died. I think the only reason we managed to not get beat is that Rengar kept positioning himself to assassinate Jinx every time she went to clear a lane, so they never managed to group as 4 and push. His burst got high enough that he was literally able to kill Jinx in her spawn point.

And to hop on the support chat, that is how I play lulu. Spell thief, almost always ignite instead of exhaust. Stack AP (dcap,morellos,zhonya). I always get a sightstone but I'll often delay until after some AP.

Oh a tip for anyone starting spellthief, poke the enemy with your spells before minions spawn and you can often get enough gold (or even first blood) to recall and buy a mana pot and still make it to your buff to leash. The extra mana has often won me the lane.

Legacyspy
Oct 25, 2008

Flameingblack posted:

we lost because we had hardly any vision.

If your support isn't going to buy a sight stone just buy one your self. Its worth the cost.

Legacyspy
Oct 25, 2008
I just won a really tense game where the enemy had, at one point, a 17k gold lead.

They totally could have won around 34 minutes into the game, but instead they decided to not kill our nexus, and try and kill us in our fountain. Suffice to say that went badly for them. We killed 3 of them as we respawned, only losing 1 person, then killed their jungle as he tried to backdoor our nexus. Next team fight we managed to trade 3 of them for 1 of us and our inhibitor, I guess they fought badly because they were all raging at each or something.

Then we took baron, their Viktor with half their kills (~24), overextended slightly and I flanked him and we killed them. We took an inhib. Then finally we grouped and pushed once more. We ended up fighting in their jungle, surrounded by them. But their Viktor and their ADC did not commit strongly to the fight, I think since their front line was on the other side of us. We killed two their ryze and thresh then fought at their nexus and won when lee had a great kick on their Viktor.

We were behind 11.5k gold when we won. It felt good.

Legacyspy
Oct 25, 2008

Flameingblack posted:

This is a lot of stress over something that wouldn't have mattered in Season 1 or Season 2 because I would have qualified for Gold a long time ago instead of being forced to play a promotion series 4 times and tanking my hidden MMR. So many things are out of your control that if you're right at your skill level and you don't play hard carry champions that advancing is almost entirely luck based and out of your hands. There's no difference between how well a Division I and a Division V of the next level plays, it's all arbitrary. It's luck.

The reason it feels like luck is because your just as good as the players your facing, so in each game feels like a toss up. On the plus side you are correct that there is isn't a significant difference in play between div v and div 1. So you just need to be get a little bit better, and you have till nov 11th.

So a couple things.

Others have already said this, but don't play when your not at your best state. When you are winning 50% of your games every little bit matters. Don't play (ranked) when your hungry, when your tired. Take a break, or even stop for the day, after losing a game. If you are hungry, tired, have something else on your mind, your play will suffer and will cause mistakes that could have been avoided. They even can be as simple as missing a few C.S, so that when you back your enemy can afford a B.F sword, but you can't, which in turn makes your lanning harder.

For me, I was stuck in plat 5 a very long time because I would do stupid stuff like playing league late at night, even though I knew I would probably lose because of it. I stopped doing that and am currently sitting @ 70lp in plat 3.

Presuming your the chocofly on N.A I added you so I can spectate some of your games. However, from looking at your match history there something that stand out.

Questionable item choices. Now I'm really not one to talk about item choices since I go mejais into rabadon's on support every game but...

You bought a dorans ring on your first back as support zyra. There are numerous games where you have a tier 1/2 support item, and thousands of gold in other items. Please, please upgrade those. The lack of the actives on coin & FQC are probably literally losing you games. The ability of those items to catch out of positon players, or save out of position allies will win you games. You've bought BVeil on support instead of locket. You were building a zhonya on sona, and worse you even you still only had tier 2 spellthief's. You bought rylai's on nami.

You buy tabi's on support a lot. Even when its not warranted. You don't need tabi's as nami vs a team who's only AD is a lucien and a lee with tiamat and elder lizard. Even worse you apparently sold your home guard cdr boots for them. You seem to be a habit of selling your boots. There is one game where in the span of a few minutes you go like cdr -> tabi -> merc treads.

A clear issue that stands out is it looks like your not warding enough. There are numerous games where the enemy support has significantly more wards placed than you, win or lose. That lack of vision control is losing you games.

I don't think you are taking/contesting dragon soon enough. I've seen a couple games where you appear not to take dragon after getting kills bot. Some games where the enemy is able to take dragon uncontested (or at least no one died on either side in the fight).

I see that there were a few games where your team was clearly in the lead but then throw right at the end. Some of this would probably be due to your lack of vision. It is hard to identify what wrong, but in one of them at least it looks like your team overstayed their welcome and got killed by the respawning enemies after taking an inhibitor. Communicate with your team and tell them to GTFO after taking inhib. Even if you stay and get outs safely, by putzing around their base while the enemy respawns, you give them time to say, rush baron while your team recalls and and shops and gets buffs etc...

Anyways I've added you on league so next time your on I can spectate and see if I have any other advice.

Legacyspy
Oct 25, 2008

Got it!

Pretty much spammed AP Soraka every game. Sight stone -> mobis -> mejais -> rabadons.

Its very strong. Basically it allows you to catch your teammates when they make mistakes, when they would have died. Creating or maintaining a lead. It allows you to easily get objectives afterwards. It turns 1 for 1s into 0 for 1s. Her global ult allows you to turn mid lane/top lane fights. Turn enemy dives or prevent your allies dives from failing. The enemy bot lane never capitalized on my lack of an ult so I did not fear burning it for top or mid lane.

Legacyspy
Oct 25, 2008

Rudager posted:

So "UMB Nigha", the only Lucian player I've ever seen build LW first, just called me poo poo and the reason we lost the game because I got successfully ganked 2 twice.

I don't fell bad about losing this game as long as I know he's losing too.

EDIT: gently caress, I got demoted to Silver 5 because of it :(

EDIT2: Also, Saucy, if that's you in the LLJK OCE channel, read it and take the skin code!

Just a heads up. You might want to stop playing ranked until next Wednesday. If you happen to go on a loss streak you might get demoted to bronze and miss out on your silver rewards.

Legacyspy
Oct 25, 2008

Luna Was Here posted:

what sort of runes/masteries are you running?

On soraka I ran 9/0/21 and ad reds, ap quints, armor yellows, mr blues. Mostly cause I haven't spent the IP on broader runes.

Legacyspy
Oct 25, 2008

How Rude posted:

I start spellthief, then immediately rush sighstone -> frostfang/mobis/chalice -> Frost Queen. From there I just stack AP. I'm not kidding, I end up racking up as many assists as possible and spending them on large rods etc. because the only thing Soraka does super well is poo poo heals all over the place. Each bit of AP goes towards making her heal more and more efficient and it eventually gets down to a 1.4? second cooldown at max rank. Making each heal count super super hard is probably the most important thing for Soraka to do in my opinion. I usually rush a deathcap immediately after those listed items just for the massive AP stack.

This guy has it right. Except I don't even bother with with upgrading to frostqueen. Sightstone, mobis/mejais in what ever order -> rabadons. Every game. It is very strong. Just don't die.

Legacyspy
Oct 25, 2008
Just played a game of ap udyr. I didn't really accomplish much other than bait people with turtle + archangels and stun enemies to peel. We still won though, 4v5. Only because the enemy team was really badly coordinate and didn't group until was too late. Also they didn't get any mr vs brand/xerath/ap udyr. So they just kept getting stunned and blown up.

Legacyspy
Oct 25, 2008

fnox posted:

I had a 20 stack mejai by 30 minutes
???

You BOUGHT mejais at 33 minutes.

Anyways if your 11k gold ahead at 40 minutes and unable to end the game your doing something massively wrong. And no, you don't get to blame your teammates. As the guy with all the power on the team, you had the largest affect on whether your team won or lost. This really shouldn't have been difficult. At 42 minutes you had two inhibs on them. Just walk into the base, and slowly and safely push down their nexus. Seriously just let the super minions do the killing of the towers, and chunk them with Q or what ever when ever they stray to close to you. 10k Gold lead and 2 inhibs. You should have closed that out easy.

Looks like instead you tried to take baron, they came and killed you. Your team probably panicked and lost composure. There was probably lots of raging going on and the game spiraled downward from there.

Legacyspy
Oct 25, 2008

fnox posted:

you're assuming a whole load of stuff there buddy.
no, i bought it at around 30 minutes and it was 20 stacks 5 minutes later. it's not exactly AT 30 minutes, it's between 30 and 40 lol.

You had Mejai stacked at ~37 minutes. That is very different than "20 stacks at 30" which implies a whole lot of other stuff about how the game went.

All I assumed was that your death was close enough to the baron fight that I just assumed it was part of it. Big deal, so you died what? a minute after baron? My point still stands. Your team had an 11k gold lead, and two inhibs. You lost. You messed up.

Great power & responsibility you know? Yes, they could have played differently, and you would have won the game. But guess what. You could have played different and won the game. That is why it is pointless to whine about teammates sucking. The only thing you have control over is yourself. You can't change how other people play. Only how you play. You want to win these games in the future? Then figure out what you did wrong and change it.

Want to continue losing them? Then just keep blaming your teammates.

Legacyspy
Oct 25, 2008
Well I placed plat 1 after going 1W, 4L, 5W in placements.

I am very happy about that. I thought for sure I would place lower after those 4 losses in a row.

Legacyspy
Oct 25, 2008

kingcobweb posted:

Do we have any diamond support players?

I was diamond last season. I'm plat 1 now because I've more or less stopped playing ranked.

Legacyspy
Oct 25, 2008
When I opened this thread I thought I had opened an archived thread, we have literally had this discussion with slyfrog multiple times before. Anyways, do reflex help? Yes. Are they necessary? Only at the top levels of play. If you feel your reflexes are holding you back there are other things you can focus on. Yesterday I was playing Soraka and ulted to save someone, after he died. I'm still gold.

Legacyspy
Oct 25, 2008
I don't think I am going to get diamond this season :(. Got it last year. I just got into plat 1 again. Then I went LWLWL and got demoted back to plat 2. So now I have to win at minimum 4 more games in a row just to get back to plat 1.

Legacyspy
Oct 25, 2008
This is so disheartening. I really focus and play really well and go on 6 straight wins through plat 3 into plat 2. Then I go LWLLLL with the last three losses only being lost because a player decided it was GG from the first blood and so started griefing. Now I am in back in plat 3 and need a minimum of four consecutive wins. Earlier today diamond seemed attainable... now I'm just back where I started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legacyspy
Oct 25, 2008

Tired Moritz posted:

isnt being plat like being in the top 40%?
thats pretty good, mateo

5%, but your right, that makes me feel better. I am happy with as far as I've gotten.

• Locked thread