Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«23 »
  • Locked thread
QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.



Tuesday, February 5, 2075. 11:30 o'clock.

The trunk door of the hatchback slams shut, and then you feel the car's springs slump as the passenger door opens next to you. Several of the gangers come stumbling out of the doorway and toward one of the naked gangers, but several come after them, automatics in hand, and see the car started and the goods loaded up. There's an explosion of automatic fire at the vehicle and the ganger who just handed over the keys. You watch him go down full of bullet holes, and several of them come through the car toward you and Spike. You can see blood soaking into the passenger seat as-is, but the car is started and the goods are loaded.

Once more with autofire! Two sources this time, but you're in a car so +3 to dodging!

Initiative
16 Sparrow
2 Spike
1 Gangers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?


Sparrow Edge: 0/3

Her luck finally runs out when one of the stray bullets penetrates the windshield and hits her square in the chest. A pained gasp escapes her, but it's little more than an involuntary reaction. Her attention was entirely occupied by two sustained spells and a floored accelerator. Wasn't there a door in the way?

"Oops. Sorry buddy, duck, can't do - " She gives up on trying to talk, and instead pushes Spike's head down as soon as she releases her grip on his invisibility spell.

BULLETS: 9d6t5 4
Edge Reroll: 5d6t5 1 NAILED IT
ALL OF THE BULLETS: 9d6t5 3 nope
Soak 8: 14d6t5 3 uhhh gently caress
drive away now: 10d6t5 2 gently caress doors
Complex action to take control of the vehicle, just trying to sprint away. Releasing the sustain on his invisibility since it isn't really doing anything for us at the moment. Currently at 7 stun, -2 to actions.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.




Total of 11 damage to the door, so enough to tear an entire hole in it as you speed through.

You floor it for the factory door as the automatic fire rings out, the scene unfolding, and the two of you pop into existence. Spike has a sucking bullet wound in his left shoulder, but aside from the blood he seems okay. You throw the car into a turn around the corner, sweeping by the Americar you left a building down, and down the street. The second your line of sight breaks you can feel the Mob Mind slip away, though. Before the end of the block, you see two more sets of lights behind you: the go-gangers. This wasn't going to be pretty.

Ricer Sprint: Hand 4/3, Speed 4, Accel 3, Bod 9, Armor 4, Pilot 1, Sensor 2, Seats 5, Avail Ganger.

Initiative
6 Sparrow
0 Spike
0 Gangers

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?


Sparrow Edge: 0/3

"Ohhhhhhh buddy this is bad. This is bad!" With a cough, Sparrow comes back into full consciousness. She peeks back over her shoulder, then swiftly sends out an order to her rotos: 'nade the cars. The canary pecks at the window of the car to remind her that it was still there. The witch waves frantically at her pursuers in response. "Go get them!"

The bird peels away and turns for the closest vehicle. It unmanifests briefly to pass through the windshield and peck at the driver's face. A stiff wind whips up inside, accompanied by the formation of frost on the windshield. Things were about to get rough.

One simple action to order the drones to attack, another to give the order to the force 3 air spirit spirit to attack the pursuers.
Spirit Initiative: 10+2d6 18
Spirit is using engulf on the driver of one of the vehicles.
Spirit: Engulfing Driver: 9d6t5 2 or maybe not, if they can dodge it
Rotos are grenading the other car. 6 Program + 3 Pilot
Roto 1 GL: 9d6t5 5 direct hit from an HE grenade! 16P at -2 AP
Roto 2 GL: 9d6t5 2
Roto 2 GL Scatter: 3d6-2 7 7 meters away so 2 at -2 AP (nothing)

Atlatl fucked around with this message at Aug 24, 2014 around 07:26

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.




Your bird spirit flies through the windshield of the first car and turns amorphous, engulfing the driver. The driver struggles for a moment but can't move, and then the car floors itself straight into a building as you make the corner. The car crashes through the wall and into the factory floor there. Meanwhile, one of the grenades bounces into a building along the road, but the other detonates against the ricer's car. The explosive eats a lot of the car's body, the two doors on that side falling into the floor, but the thing keeps limping along. The frame bends, however, and cracks the radiator, steam pouring forth as the driver shifts again.

Then Spike flashes you a grin and moves to sit on your windowsill, his automatic shotgun against his shoulder. You hear the shells spill out of the gun with a continuous roar, the explosive rounds tearing into the car's hood. It's more than the car can handle, and the engine begins pouring steam as your own Swift's over-loud muffler buzzes into the night. Spike slides back into his seat, wincing at the pain in his shoulder, but lets out a long laugh anyway. "That was fuckin' cool, Sparrow. Thanks a shitload. Circle back and drop me at my bike, will you?"

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.


So that people don't have to dig through Atlatl's adventure to find relevant posts (though, really, go read that poo poo):

A post involved Alfred.

A post involving Gabriel.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?


Sparrow Edge: 0/3

"Hell yeah. Any time!" She turns the car around the corner and laughs. An order goes out to the various machines linked to her RCC telling them to stow themselves and get ready to bug out. The shot up ricer would trail them on their inevitable trip to her old partner in crime's shop. "So I mean, I know I shouldn't ask, because professionalism and it's not my business and whatever, but..." She pauses to give the returning canary a thumbs up and then wave it away. "What's in the briefcases? I mean, you don't gotta tell me, really. Just curious. Just a little."

It was about time to shoot Finch a message.

<< ay yo girl you open this time of night? >>
<< i mean of course you are >>
<< just wanted to give you a heads up >>
<< i got a real bad fixer upper comin in if you know what i mean heh heh >>

"Oh yeah, what was the cut? I didn't even remember to ask, heh."

Arkangelus
Jan 23, 2007


Gabriel De Los Santos

"You're right on that brother. Might as well live a little in our situation." They both laugh, but the mood is dampened some anyway.

They get to evaluating the two sites the Doc gave them. Gabriel, more practiced in focusing on the magical security, doesn't have much training in the area physical security but does his best.

Untrained intuition: Evaluating sites - Dr Mission: 4d6t5 1

Thanatosian
Apr 16, 2013

Angrier, Bitterer Man


Grimey Drawer

Alfred Nobel

Al spends his day the same way he's spent every day for the past six months: watching explosions in the Saeder-Krupp Chemicals laboratory. He was working on Project Blast Brigade, which is much less interesting than it sounds: his team was on contract to the heavy mining machines division, looking to lower the weight and/or increase the blast power of Saeder-Krupp's commercial explosives, in order to cut down on overhead. The morning meeting was the same as it ever was: supervisors look over the previous days' results, tell the wageslaves which formulas to pursue, ask them to up their output (as if the wageslaves could alter the physical laws of the universe), and sent them on their way. Mostly, it just served to make the supervisors look productive.

Al's meeting with Redi was much more productive. He simply wrote out the shopping list:

3 hardshell cases, 1@12, 2@1, need tomorrow.

1@1 instead of 12 fine if 12 not doable.

Wrapped it around a 700 cred stick, and tossed it into the garbage can in the hallway in front of Redi as Al walked by. He should hear back from him soon, probably from a single-use number contacting Al's burner.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest! The rightest!


Double Tap

Double Tap - sorry, Harrison Cliff as the SIN so clearly reads - shows up in a rented vehicle, suit ready and smiles armed.

"Come on, let's head over to the auction house. Picked this up this morning. Rental, registered and everything, no problem. Marcina, we're associates. Kenneth, you're our bodyguard, as you mentioned. But please tell me you aren't going as Marcina and Kenneth."

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.


Marcina

"Do I LOOK like a Marcina right now? I got two of them, one's for stuffer shack runs, the other's a lot better. Think I can swing the first or do I need to go "change" for the other one?"

malikial
Jan 26, 2013


Kenneth

Kenneth lets out a snort of derision and grumbles, "I'm a troll not an idiot. Going as Jacod "Heartless" Saunders. Registered as a Close Protection Specialist and with permits to legally carry pistols and wear military grade body armor." He takes off his hat but wears his duster over his body armor and carries his pistol on his back holster.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.



Wednesday, February 6, 2075. 00:00 o'clock.

Your drones click back into place in your trunk, their status indicates switching from IN FLIGHT to CHARGING on the RCC. When you ask about the stuff in the back, Spike shrugs a bit. "It's... " he starts, but then trails off for a minute before glancing over at you. "It's high-end cyberware I bought off from some Iris Firmware wageslave. She stole it right off the factory floor, I think. They're cybereyes, high-end deltaware poo poo. I'm into her for a hundred thousand, but I have a buyer who is offering one thirty. I need a place to stash them until Saturday, though, if you can take care of that."

As you circle the block back to your Americar, Spike starts laughing. You can see the wrecks down the street, gangers struggling to put out fires and get the cars moving again. The two of you have plenty of time to swap cars and get the two large suitcases transferred. It takes a second to put the ganger car in follow mode, but it takes pretty well after fiddling with the stripped-down dogbrain in it.

As you get moving again to drop Spike off at his back, Finch responds.

<< poo poo yeah I just got back >>
<< head over and let me see this piece a poo poo you driving now >>
<< i bet it got neon and poo poo >>


Wednesday, February 6, 2075. 11:00 o'clock.

Double Tap picks up a car to look the part that morning, a 2075 Cadillac Nocturne. It looks almost out of place in the Braum's parking lot, but the three of you aren't there long enough to attract much attention. Dressed to the nines, the three of you sort out your cover identities and then load into the Nocturne (which is just a little cramped with the Troll). The car draws just the right amount of attention at the valet stand of Efigies Elegantes, pulling in behind a BMW M3 and two Shin-Hyungs.



One of the valets opens the door and sees Kenneth, gawking for a moment too long at his hulking size. But then he catches himself doing it and takes a step back, holding the door open. The other one collects the keys from Double Tap, certain his co-worker just fumbled their way out of a tip. He offers a security tag as a voucher for the key, and the three of you are left to your own devices.



The lobby is in front of you, large with marble floors. A young woman worked the counter, registering people for the day's auction, and the sign behind her glowed with the day's auctions: mostly paintings of 1800s Mexico. The lobby is full of international executives, young up-and-comers trying to impress coworkers with overpriced artwork. You hear Spanish and Japanese in the air along with English, and there's a reception in the room to the right of the desk.


Wednesday, February 6, 2075. 15:00 o'clock.

You spend a few minutes looking over the different locations, and it occurs to you that the CrashCart will have less security on the floor, but it's in a better part of town and they have more than one HTR on call. It also probably has more valuable goods and drugs stashed away. The Festival Foods, on the other hand, is basically a food research facility. It will likely have tougher security on the ground, but it's out in Mesquite so it should have a long security response time.

Raphael insists on looking in over your shoulder, sipping a large glass of orange juice in his bath robe. He says, "These the options for the jobs? If you can get hold of a decker, I'd hit Renraku. You're going to do better there, because they aren't going to have some heavy magical defenses out in Mesquite. Just don't start a fire, because the fire department will be there in minutes."

He takes another moment looking over the CrashCart sites and indicates one in Irving. "That will buy you the best response time, probably, if you want to hit one of the CrashCarts. That kind of place might have on HRT around, but if you could get them out on a call before you went in, you'd have a ten-minute window before they got back. That's enough time, I bet. I'd avoid a frontal assault, though. Maybe you could talk your way in on the pretense of visiting someone, or just get a miniwlder. If the payday is high enough, you could try to pose as an HRT."

Then he starts laughing a little, which leads to a coughing fit, but when it clears up he says, "Or you could, you know, get shot. Take out a contract with CrashCart first, and then just grab the stuff, blow out a wall, and bail. It would burn a SIN, plus the cost of the contract, but if you got a crack driver it could be quick."

Security Evaluation 7d6Cgte5: 5

Raphael made his own evaluation, and has intricate knowledge. He can answer any questions about the security of either of the facilities.


Wednesday, February 6, 2075. 17:30 o'clock.

Hahaha, roll Chemistry to see how well your blowing up goes!

Redi hit you up by the end of the day, your burner buzzing as you slowly stir together another thickener with a suspension of nitrates and and nitrocelluloids. The compound wasn't coming together well, so it probably wouldn't work any better than yesterday's mix, but at least you got a hookup from Redi.

<< ez 1s tmrw, hard 1 frdy, cod. where? >>

He wandered into your lab a moment later and empties the trash cans, but he never even made eye contact with you. Which was a shame, because he'd probably be fun to get a beer with.

QuantumNinja fucked around with this message at Aug 28, 2014 around 22:47

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?


Sparrow Edge: 0/3

"That's..." Sparrow frowns when she considers hiding something so valuable in her living space. "That's kinda hot for my tastes, bud. I mean, Saturday's a long ways away, and I got my main job, and..." She trails off, grimacing as she make a decision that she assumes she'll come to regret. "Ah hell, I'll do it! But don't you blame me if my place gets robbed or something, aight?" She points a finger in Spike's direction. "It's on you for not figuring out something safer ahead of time!"

Finch's message elicits a scoff.

<< yeah right i fuckin wish >>
<< just need it done up all respectable like >>
<< and un-hot >>
<< chip things and body work >>
<< ill split the cash with you from when i flip it >>

Sparrow backhands Spike's shoulder. "Don't forget to let me heal you before you go!"

Thanatosian
Apr 16, 2013

Angrier, Bitterer Man


Grimey Drawer

Alfred Nobel

All in a day's work: 9d6t5 2

Al had had better days; he was feeling a bit distracted by the forthcoming run, and he only barely managed to hit his typical goal of "probably good enough to not get fired." Not on the path to "big things," as far as the company was concerned.

Al wasn't exactly a regular at cd /d E:\rs (pronounced "cedars"), but he had been there a few times before. It was mostly populated by low-level dataslaves and wannabe deckers, the kind of people who got a kick out of the name, and the fact that the owner/bartender--a chromed-out Mexican dwarf--is named Raymundo Sanchez (RS; get it?). Also, the kind of people who didn't pay a ton of attention to what was going on in the real world around them, unlikely to notice that the guy who walked in with a couple of briefcases wasn't the guy who walked out with them, which made it a good place for seeing Redi. Additional perks included a mean queso (Raymundo knew his Tex Mex) and cheap drink specials (usually the drain cleaner they used as well liquor plus whatever energy drink had managed to fall off a truck that morning).

Whether Redi would stick around for a couple of drinks or just dead drop the cases Al didn't know, but he figured while he was waiting, he may as well try to take care of another logistical issue: using Raymundo's back room for a "card game" that night. Al didn't know him terribly well, but Ray was unlikely to want to gain a reputation as a narc in his line of work, and even if it cost a few nuyen, the peace of mind was probably worth it. Trying to get away from one of the regulars who had had a few too many Iluminados (the special)--who was trying for the fourth time to explain the origin of the bar's name (something about an ancient computer interface, which Al could not possibly care less about)--without making a scene, Al ordered two more specials, one for him, and one to hopefully push his new "friend" past wired and into unconsciousness.

Arkangelus
Jan 23, 2007


Gabriel De Los Santos

"Yeah they'll be there quick if they think I'm gonna start a wildfire, huh. I'd rather hit the Festival Foods than CrashCart. Never know who's going to be coming or going at the latter. We could do everything perfectly and then some mope that just got shot and evacced brings in another HTR team. How many people you think I need if things get hot? Don't forget I'm not gonna be able to throw around too much fire."

Gabriel messages Texas Yellow -
<<Hey you got the contact info for the decker from last night? Or another one? Got a job coming up. Thanks>>

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.



Wednesday, February 6, 2075. 00:30 o'clock.

Spike winces when you hit his shoulder, but lets out a chuckle afterwards. "Yeah, sorry, but my guy fell through when I got sidetracked. But don't even sweat that poo poo. They'll hit my gang 'fore they hit you, a little ol' rigger in my commlink. Drop me at my bike, yeah? And seriously, thanks for coming through."

Tell me about Spike's gang: what are they called, how did you start working with them?

You gain 1 Edge for the hilarious poo poo that went down. You also gain 5 Karma.


After healing Spike and dropping him off his bike, you head for Finch's. She's usually tinkering with something this time of night, and tonight was no exception. Two of the bay doors are open, white florescent baring down on the interior. One is empty, but the other houses a Porsche Aguilar S. Finch waves you over to it, wiping grease from her forearms. "Check this poo poo out! Some dumbass rich kid from Addison told me to get it, and I'm quoting here, 'setup for the 635, with nitrous and poo poo'. Like this is some street racing trid! Oh, want a beer?"

She comes back from the fridge with two Lone Stars, offering you one, and laughed at the two cars outside. "What the gently caress, Sparrow? You fuckin' ripped some gangers off for a hot-poo poo 'mericar? Wanna bring it in?"


Wednesday, February 6, 2075. 18:30 o'clock.

Cedars is about as busy as usual on a Wednesday afternoon, full of MMO-addicts and teens swapping freshly-pirated Doctor Who beetles. None of them even notice you as you grab a booth, contemplate the margarita special, and order the queso. Redi shows up about half an hour after you got there, two glossy-black hardcases in one hand. He slips into your booth and nods at the margarita, his Russian accent. "How vas day? I take it orders from on high not going vell?"

After a long drink of a margarita of his own, he says. "I have part of order. Two hard cases, low sealing. Acceptable?" he asks, pushing the two suitcases across the table at you before taking a bite of your queso. "Is good. Vat is this place? Is like hacker hangout, but no hackers."

After your time with Redi, you consider approaching Ray for the use of his back room and decide the best way to get access would be to ask him like any other backroom Decker Slugfest setup. So you sell it like that, using phrases like "private location" and "discrete customers". It wasn't exactly a lie, but it got you to the end result faster than the full truth about a job and some 'runners would have. Ramundo chuckles as you pushed the regular over his limit and headed for the bathroom, and it gave you the perfect in to ask. He said yes, of course, for three hundred nuyen minimum in drink orders.



"Facility that size? Assuming decker support, probably a wheelman, and a heavy hitter to deal with corpsec while you move the goods. Corpset shouldn't be much of a fuss if you know someone that can hit hard enough, and Lone Star is minimum five minutes, but more like fifteen or twenty. So, poo poo, four people sounds about right."

Texas Yellow hits you back almost immediately. <<It looks like Hardline may have fallen through. I am working on a replacement, give me a bit of time. Anything else?>>

Read as: I may have a replacement decker lined up, but if not I'll NPC Hardline until I can get one.

Arkangelus
Jan 23, 2007


Gabriel De Los Santos

"Hmm, makes sense. If we've got the decker you think we'll need any extra tools to breach or will he probably be able to handle it all?"

To Sparrow: <<Heard alot about you. Interested in seeing your moves in person. Also got a sidejob lined up, need a wheel-lady. You interested?>>

To Kenneth: <<I heard you were on my side of the line now. Almost didn't believe it. You interested in making some extra cash?>>

To Texas Yellow: <<Think that's all. I'll let you know if something else pops. Thanks.>>

malikial
Jan 26, 2013


Kenneth

Ken leans down and mutters to the two with him, "For reference, I'm fluent in Spanish." He then steps back and walks behind you two, looking big and intimidating.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?


Sparrow Edge: 1/3

"My pleasure!" Sparrow pulls up alongside the bike and grabs him by the shoulder once more. "Wait for the sting!"

Spike's wound spits out a few tiny bits of lead, then closes up almost instantly. The passenger side door pops open and she practically shoves him out of the car. "Gotta hurry now before the po-po shows, gimmeacallonsaturdaywhenyou'reready yeahokaybye!"

She waves as she peels out of the gas station and speeds off to Finch's.

Casting Heal at Force 6 since drain is a minimum of 2 anyways.
Force 6 Heal: 9d6t5 6 pffttttttt
Resist Drain: 5d6t5 2 no drain either

Spike's a part of the Diamondbacks, a go-gang that traces its roots back in the earlier part of the century as a biker gang. They still maintain a similar garb from the founding days, along with the traditional patch showing a snake head biting a black diamond. Sparrow got her start with them after upset one of their best racers, Niner, in a quarter mile at a small event.

Spike was the first one to approach Sparrow about the proposition of fixing matches. She hadn't made a name for herself quite yet, and the idea was to eschew the use of spirit boosting until she got "in over her head." Their big break came the first time she showed up at one of Benny V's meets, where odds leveled out at 50:1 for her to make first.

The spirit she summoned to carry her from eighth to first drat near killed her, but it also managed to pay for a new ride, a brand new RCC, and her current drones.


At the garage, Sparrow has a nice, long scoff at the Porsche. She doesn't stop until the beer is open and in her hand. "Oh. My. God. That is shameful."

"Yeah..." She frowns as she autopilots the two cars into the garage. "I can't be flashy no more, aight? Geez. I just need, like... Utility. I guess." She sips her beer and digs a lead slug out of her jacket, wincing as she accidentally presses into the bruise underneath. After regarding the little deformed piece of metal, she flicks it over her shoulder.

"Naw, there was a job. I wound up jacking this POS accidentally, and I do mean accidentally. Sustain's a helluva drug, heh." She throws down half of her beer before speaking again. "Figure I might as well try and flip it since I got it. You cool with half the cut?"

~

The next day, Sparrow's response to Gabriel is almost immediate.

<< ALWAYS >>
<< shoot me the deets and tell me when >>
<< this aint gonna get in the way of our main job tho right? >>

A short while later, a message goes out to the entire team.

<< yo anyone in the market for a ride >>
<< i got a super good deal on one >>
<< looks fast, fixed up >>
<< certified preowned >>
<< and by that i mean i can certify that someone owned it at some point >>
<< which >>
<< nevermind, just message me if youre interested, super cheap >>

<< aaand nevermind yall wouldnt want this thing anyways >>
<< gonna chop it instead >>
<< ill keep you informed on when the sick deals return >>
<< this wasnt actually one of them i was just gonna try and pawn it off on someone real quick >>

Atlatl fucked around with this message at Aug 29, 2014 around 03:57

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.


Marcina

Once she get the proper level of fake SIN chosen, she loads up in the car. "Okay, so are we just casing the place? Or you have a specific goal in mind? I'm going to be recording the staff so I can pull off looking like them later."

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest! The rightest!


Double Tap

"Mostly just casing, asking a few questions about the place and the auctions, getting a good feel for who wants that book - always nice to know your potential competition."

Harrison walks up to the young lay and flashes a winning smile.

"Harrison Cliff, my associate [RONWAYNE DIDN'T TELL ME HER NAME AND I CAN'T GO ON IRC], our bodyguard Jacod Sanders. I'm a bit new to the auction scene and was hoping someone could show us around a bit and answer a few questions? I'd love to visit a proper auction soon."

Thanatosian
Apr 16, 2013

Angrier, Bitterer Man


Grimey Drawer

Alfred Nobel

Alfred briefly takes a look at the two cases, opening them, knocking on them a couple of times. "Yeah, looks great. And yeah, work sucks. Work always sucks. That's why I moonlight." Setting the cases beneath the table, he dips a chip into the queso, takes a big bite, and leans back. "This place definitely has its charms. No one up in your business, good food, cheap drinks... they're even close to potable." Grabbing two more drinks from the bar, Al sets down the credstick with Redi's drink, and sits down. "Should cover me. I'll let you know about Friday. How's work?"

---

After finishing up with Raymundo, Al downs the last of his last drink, shoots a quick message with the new meeting place to the rest of the group (advising them to "show up thirsty"), and carries his new cases back to his apartment.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.



Wednesday, February 6, 2075. 20:30 o'clock.

Finch watches you toss away the bullet and makes a face. "Jeeze, you're into some heavy poo poo now, aren't you?"

She lets the question hang in the air for a moment, like she's trying to piece together exactly how your life differs from her own, but then she continues before you can get a word in. "Well, I got to pull the thing apart to reprogram the VIN chips anyway. If you want, I can just rip the parts off and sell 'em. I'll give you 5K for the thing right now. In CASD or in trade, if you want some work done on the Americar."

Then she gets a wicked grin. "And I'll loan you the Porsche while I do it."

I started writing vehicle customization rules based off the Arsenal stuff, but I haven't finished up yet. If there are specific things that aren't super-illegal you want, Finch can probably do it! Prices in Arsenal are increased by 1.5x to keep up with inflation (Ha!).


Wednesday, February 6, 2075. 11:15 o'clock.

The woman behind the counter puts on a smile that probably cost her five thousand nuyen and says, "Certainly, Mr. Cliff. Just a moment, I will get Celeste to show you around."

She taps a few buttons on the interactive trid in front of her, and a woman walks up to the desk about twenty seconds later. She's in a sharp pantsuit, Vashon from the looks of it, and introduces herself as Celeste, a Showroom Coordinator for 'Double-E'.



She motions to the hallway to the left, and leads you into one of the secondary ballrooms. "First, let me show you into the Goliad Room. The auction won't start for another hour, but we like to treat our guests correctly. We have a complimentary brunch laid out here, and you won't find a single piece of soy in the entire place. If you'd like to take a moment to find some of our fresh-roasted coffee or fresh-squeezed juices, we can continue the tour."

After waiting long enough for you to collect beverages, she leads you into the main hall of the building. "This is, of course, the main auction floor. During a busy day, we will sometimes convert the Goliad and Travis rooms into secondary auction halls, but today's auction is small enough that we don't need to. At the far end you can see a small food service area, which will serve drinks and hors d'oeuvres during the auction. We have a fine selection of pieces today, art from costumbristas from the mid-1800s, along with a Rugendas and and three Orbregons. What sort of room are you looking to decorate with them? An office? Study?"

Her winning smile betrays an ulterior motive, trying to determine how serious you are about purchasing a piece from the afternoon's auction. The look passes in just a moment, however, as she whisks you back down the hallway. "To the right there is the Travis Room, which perfectly mirrors the Goliad room. We seldom open it if we don't have extra auctions, however. And down here are the staff offices, and the vault where we keep the goods. I can't show you that, of course. Is there anything else I can do for you?"


Wednesday, February 6, 2075. 20:30 o'clock.

The two cases are fine products, quality pieces of work. Redi seems a bit taken aback that you'd even take the time to look them over. "Vat, think I vould sell lemons?"

He laughs, though, after he objects, and enjoys more of the queso. "Vork is good. Not 'day job', but real vork. Some fine pieces of chemical glassware recently 'broke', fetched high price with gangers," he says with another chuckle. "Oh, vould you like novacoke? I have connection now. And other substances, if it is not your taste. Friday vill be tighter, but vorkable. I have... appointments to keep, da?"

Cool! You stash them at your place, head back for the meeting. Give it a tick so we can finish up the recon on the place, I guess.


Wednesday, February 6, 2075. 20:30 o'clock.

Raphael lets out a long whistle. "poo poo, probably not. It's a smash and grab, right? Just do it fast, and disappear before the cops come, no problem. You gonna drop the poo poo off with the doc right from that place or what?"

Then he goes to lay back down as you make your phone calls, the illness and the conversation taxing his weakened body. You end up washing his orange juice glass, and you can feel the cold peaking in your own body. Tonight was going to be all fevers and cold sweats, but a little night-cold medicine would likely glide you through to the morning. That was, unless you were going to the meet Alfred arranged.

Arkangelus
Jan 23, 2007


Gabriel De Los Santos

"Ahh man, you're right. Can't exactly store it here either if he doesn't want it right off. I'll check if he has somewhere discreet we can drop it. Thanks for the help, guess I still ain't worth a drat without you." Gabriel smiles and shoots a text to the Doc asking about a drop location for the supplies.

"I'm gonna head out for a bit tonight. Meeting for the other thing. If I'm not back after a couple hours call one of Rosario's brothers or somebody from Free Aztlan." Gabriel calls out as Raphael heads back to bed.
Raphael turns his head and rolls his eyes. "I'll be fine Gabriel, you worry too much."
"Ayo drop that stupid attitude. If something gets cocked up you really want me worrying about whether you're ok too? You don't want to do it for you, do it for my benefit."

Gabriel heads to the meeting, but last minute checks to make sure Raphael is all set make him arrive a bit late.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest! The rightest!


Double Tap

'Harrison' greets her with an equally expensive smile as they walk.

"You guessed it! My associate and I are helping put together gifts for a study, as a matter of fact. Something of a gift for an older executive from one of our European branches who is currently moving here as part of a promotion - and who we believe will be a very appreciable in return. He has the furniture all lined up, but we think he'd rather like some touches to make it more then a few trolls and an IKEA catalog, if you get the idea. Austere decorations, old world smoking chairs, rare or expensive books, that sort of thing. He's a bit of an odd one, loves his French brandy, dead painters, Caribbean League cigars, classical music - you get the idea - but once you get him talking about "retro-classic American horror" he won't stop. Absolutely adores those old Hammer films - Dracula, Frankenstein, you know the ones - and a very trustworthy co-worker once saw him get a whole box of those Darrien Cross Vampire Hunter novels!"

As they walk, Double Tap mentally fills out the floorplan on his commlink, noting everything he can about each room, looking for anything that might stand out as helpful - or harmful - in any sort of infiltration attempt.

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at Sep 2, 2014 around 02:55

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?


Sparrow Edge: 1/3

"Eh. Heavy enough." Sparrow cocks her head at the shot up ricer and contemplates her options. "Yeah, scrap it. I'll take the five in cash just 'cause I need some guaranteed rent money, but I'll probably wind up throwing some back your way for stuff. Maybe I'll get some real James Bond stuff done on my car," she says with a grin. "Y'know, pop out guns, armor, whatever."

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.


Marcina

Nodding, [Mary Sue] (It was always a good idea to keep your illusionary forms as androgynous as possible in case you needed something to match the largest number of identities possible) backs up DT. "Yeah, uhhh" She scratches her head. "I need like, something for the living room. We're getting it redone and we need something right over the mantle. Lots of hardwoods and whatnot. What do you recommend?" Whether the pothead dipshit act is method acting or not is debatable. Marcina makes a point to scan the employees and drones, especially any security or maintenance that might be zipping in and out of view of the "real" part of the business.

Ed: Nope, apparently not an act

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at Sep 2, 2014 around 05:43

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.


Everyone at the Auction house, make whatever perception rolls you want. I'll fill in details and a map after that.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.



Wednesday, 2075/2/6, 00:30

Finch lets a somber moment pass as she considers your line of work, but lets it go without another work as she grabs a credstick from her point of sell and taps a few buttons. She loads the payment onto the credstick and offers it to you, teasing you about your phrasing. "James Bond? Some, what, Pierce Brosnan poo poo? Hahahaha!"

She looks back at the Porsche when her laughter dies away. "I gotta get this poo poo sorted, then. But don't be a stranger. I got a few tickets to a car show next week if you're interested, some prototype showroom expo thing. Interested?"


Wednesday, 2075/2/6, 11:30

Celeste nods as Double-Tap explains his line of work. "Certainly, we get a lot of things like that through here. In fact, there is a large auction this Friday for a selection of works by Anne Rice, and tomorrow we're selling turn-of-the-century hand-made Mexican tapestries. I can furnish you with the list of auctions for this next week, if that may be advantageous. What company did you say you worked for, again? I can check our corporate accounts and see if there are any sort of specials or advanced access I can offer you."

Roll to lie to Celeste.

When Marcina pipes up, Celeste gives her (him?) a polite nod. "Uh, we do have a fine selection of paintings today. For hardwood, Figaro's Shop by José Jiménez Aranda would be exquisite," she says, perfectly rolling her rs. "I believe it will be the fifth item in the auction, with a starting bid of a hundred-thousand nuyen."

By then, you have all come full-circle back to the food display in the Goliad room, and Celeste comes to a stop. "Is there anything else I can do for the three of you today? If not, may I welcome you to Efigies Elegantes and wish you good luck in today's auction."

She offers you her hand, and then departs.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.


Marcina

<What a disgusting place of grotesque conspicuous consumption.> She looks around, does a little spin and almost breaks out into song. <I love it. I need so much more money.>

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest! The rightest!


Double Tap

"TI. I'm sure if I looked I could find something in-house, but dipping into the company product for a gift can be so...gauche. Anne Rice and the tapestries however, those both sound excellent. One to appease his taste in collections and literature, the other could make for a warm welcome into our rather distinct culture here.

Perception: 14d6t5 2
How even the gently caress.
Perception (Edged misses): 12d6t5 5
I CAN SEE EVERYTHING. everything
Con: 16d6t5 5
Much better

Double Tap gives her another smile - this one looking far warmer and more legitimate - and returns the handshake.

"Thank you, Celeste. You've been a fantastic help. I can already tell I'll be spending some good time - and good nuyen - here."

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at Sep 2, 2014 around 17:41

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.


(I did, look at my edit above, before my previous post, I got 0 hits, so yes, plz edge)

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.



Wednesday, 2075/2/6, 11:30

Celeste cheerily shakes Double-Tap's hand. "Certainly, Mr. Cliff, it's a pleasure to have you as one of our guests. I will go get the list of tapestries for sale tomorrow, and the paperwork to set up an account with us."

Before you can get another word in, she heads back down the hallway to where the blueprints indicate the office is, and you all get a chance to look around. Double-Tap picked out an infinite amount of detail on the trip, including that two of the executives were planning on bidding, but not buying, today, to keep up appearances while they lamented the recent down-trend in their investments, and the faint sound of the valet revving a Porsche while it was being parked.

As for building security, there are obvious motion sensors, tucked into room corners corners, but only the camera above the reception area, watching the front doors. The windows have break-alarms, wires that will scream when snapped. It was likely the owners assumed the thermal sensors in the hedges outside would provide enough of a deterrent for any would-be burglars. The food area was full of workers and last-minute prep, and the auction hall was starting to fill in with executives holding small cheese plates, waiting for the bidding to start. Double-Tap even gets a glance into the Travis room, as a worker comes out, and see it mirrors the Golaid room almost perfectly.


Link to Full Size
(Orange is the camera, pink/red is the motion sensor coverage.)

As you are led back to the reception area, Double-Tap catches another glimpse of the two guards by the front door. The men in suits with the obviously-outlined Predators under their coats, but this time Double-Tap noticed the scars hidden under their suits. From the look of it, repeated cuts of a dagger, over and over and over, almost ritualistic. Both guards have them, but none of the other workers buzzing about seem to. And you can almost make them out along their chests, too, where the white shirts catch too much of the sunlight. Before he can mention it, however, Celeste reappears with two glass clipboards and the paperwork. "Here we are, Mr. Cliff, Miss Sue. I've brought enough paperwork for both of you to open accounts today, if you'd like. You may fill these out during the auction, or I can show you to our office and you may do it there."

@cirno: With a roll like that, I'm pretty much obligated to answer any question you have about any parts of the building you've seen (which is why I marked the motion sensor at the end of the hallway you saw down but didn't go), so ask away.

@malikial: Haha your character sheet isn't linked anywhere in this whole thread. This is for my own reference, but if you want to start linking to it in your posts I wouldn't be upset. http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...0#post433125777

@everyone else: once team Auction House Recon is done, y'all gonna meet up at the place Alfred arranged? Are you planning to hit the auction house on Wednesday night or Thursday night? I'll be NPCing Hardline until I can get a replacement decker for the game.

QuantumNinja fucked around with this message at Sep 3, 2014 around 12:26

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?


Yeah, Sparrow will meet with Alfred.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.


Auction House Crew, you're holding up the action. Either get a move on or bail from the location so we can get this run started.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.


bail

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest! The rightest!


Double Tap

Double Tap pauses and gives the look of someone having an intense (if silent) conversation.

"Apologies, Celeste, but work calls. A new hire made a rather large mistake and now everyone is covering themselves to ensure it's not tied to them, and I'm afraid I must go do the same. I'll be filling these out at the auction itself, if that is alright."

Giving another bright smile, Double Tap walks out with the paperwork - and a knowledge of the auction houses that would rival it's very architects.

malikial
Jan 26, 2013


Kenneth

Kenneth inclines his head and says, "Ma'am." To Celeste before following along behind Double Tap dutifully. Keeping an eye on everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.



Wednesday, 2075/2/6, 11:30

Celeste seems taken aback for a moment as the three of you make a quick departure, but regains her composure with expert grace. "That's fine. I hope to see you tomorrow, Mister Cliff, Miss Sue, and I hope everything works out at the office. The valets should be able to help you with your car."

It takes maybe a minute to get the rental car back from the valets, still in pristine condition. The three of you file in and depart with little fanfare.


Wednesday, 2075/2/6, 21:00

@Atlatl: What did you spend your day doing?

@Cirno, Ronwayne, malikial: What did you do with your afternoons?

The lot of you gather into the back room of Cedars, where Alfred has arranged a private party. There is a woman in scant clothing, but closer inspect reveals her to be an interactive ARO for the computer ordering system that's part of the room. It's otherwise isolated, technologically safe in order to protect the standard fare of deckers that rent the room out. There's a small area jammer on the wall, too, that may be engaged and disabled as you see fit. The lot of you mill in, with Gabriel showing up last (and running maybe a few minutes late), but otherwise without problem. You now have comprehensive indications of the external security features, along with the safe's model number and a good analysis of the internal architecture and the security features of the public part of the auctino house. You have 39 hours until the book's auction starts, manybe 40 until the book itself is sold.

  • Locked thread
«23 »