Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
So this suggests one of three possibilities.
  • Athena mimicked the appearance of an ancient Xeno by intent or accident.
  • The claim that she is a xeno is simply a cover story used by this older shell. The shell may not even know about our contact with the source in this case.
  • The human AI were all patterned after the goddamn Slaan/Old Ones. This option kind of illustrates the point where the setting goes off the rails.

Waci posted:

Fine, since people are doubting whether this is our AI waifu: say hi to her in subsonic binary.

This is a good idea.

Tran fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Sep 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Waci posted:

I think this is our Athena, covering for the AI thing with lies about xenos. Witness her, I guess?

Fine, since people are doubting whether this is our AI waifu: say hi to her in subsonic binary.

Plan Waci

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
I'd assume Athena Prime would have made contact with her shell.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Now that's interesting.

If Athena was an AI, then what, exactly, prevented her from replicating? After all, "our" Athena doesn't have any memories of her last moments. Perhaps she went into one final cataclysmic battle, but left behind a back-up copy of herself in some immobile shell in case she would not return?

e;f,b

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
It could be any other golden age AI, too. Maybe one person designed them all and they take her face?

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
You're a goddamn scientist. Listen and observe before acting!

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Also, if Plan Waci fails, ask her about her people, before their fall.

Might be a load of bullshit, might not be, but it ought to be interesting either way!

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

dog kisser posted:

I'm a doctor man! Not a... Wait you're right.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

poor life choice posted:

It could be any other golden age AI, too. Maybe one person designed them all and they take her face?

Everything we know (admittedly not much, but still) indicates this wasn't the case.

dog kisser posted:

This is a conversation. Even tech-priests have enough social skills to not just sit there taking notes for half an hour.

Tomn posted:

Also, if Plan Waci fails, ask her about her people, before their fall.

Might be a load of bullshit, might not be, but it ought to be interesting either way!

+1

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
My brain is exploding/imploding. Who is the cabal? Was Athena lying to us or them? How did she talked them and do this if she was locked behind kiras firewall. Wtf?

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Waci posted:

This is a conversation. Even tech-priests have enough social skills to not just sit there taking notes for half an hour.

Yeah, you're right - that was more in response to table flipping. Listening and conversing is A-OK in my books.

mepstein73
Sep 18, 2012

Whether or not you find your own way, you're bound to find some way. If you happen to find my way, please return it, as it was lost years ago. I imagine by now it's quite rusty.

poor life choice posted:

So funny you mention that... I have been wanting to ask Athena who created her and the other Olympus-level AIs. After all, if they have the ability to make that type of technology, what's to stop them from doing more? The STC is their gift to humanity... but what did they keep for themselves? And what were they called?

Who is Lucifer?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Once in a lifetime by Wolfsheim

Player of Games

You chuckled, even as you sent a burst of subsonic binary. “Cabal? Is that anything like the Illuminati?” <I know you can hear me.>
Her eyes narrowed at you, but at which statement you weren’t sure. “No. The Illuminati came later, and work at cross purposes.”
“What do they want?”
“To destroy the Imperium, possibly to recreate it in their own image. They are a distraction from the important tasks.”
“Like the Darkness?”
People around you shifted in their chairs. Apparently you hit a sore point?
“Yes. The Darkness is our counterpart in many ways. The shadow organization of the Great Enemy.”
“Did they send the probe that hit Titan a few years back?”
The Grand Master grunted, his voice a rumble. “I must find out your sources at some point.”
Athena continued as if he hadn’t replied. “No, we think it’s a new player. It had tech we’d never seen before.”
“And you? What was your species like, when it came to tech?”
Her eyes looked inward. “They were … magnificent. Crafters, artists. They would create constellations just to admire from touring planets.”
And then, a reply: <You think speaking binary makes you unique?>

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Hot Dog Day 80 posted:

This is a part of Athena that has been awake for the last 15,000 years, separated from the ship and is now a separate being from the Athena we know.
This is the most likely answer to me. Either that or she's actually a Xenos, and the AIs were patterned after her kind.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
"On the contrary, it proves that you are not."

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Pulse back "No, but my soul does, Machine. Shall we parlay?"

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
In for a penny, in for a pound.

In subsonic binary say "I may have met another one of your kind before. She's doing well, by the way. She'd probably send her regards if she knew you were here.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
"Of course not. I'm sure you've met techpriests before. Privacy is still a factor. I know you recognised the probe's technology, even if the materials may have been improvised." In binary.

Look at the Grand Master. "I told you I discovered... hints that the STC may contain means for warpless FTL travel."

Tranplan.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

I think we should say in subsonic binary <You look just like someone I recently became acquainted with. Apologies.<

or tran plan :shrug:

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

I like demonstrating how clever we are as much as the next guy, but I will note that we're playing with some very high stakes here. What do we think will happen if we reveal the existence of Athena Prime?

Like, this is a serious question, I'm not really sure myself.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Best case scenario, the branch would re-establish contact with the prime.

Worst case scenario, we identify a high level traitor.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

The statement could be a warning. Others may be able to hear this conversation?

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Or maybe she doesn't want to out herself as a highly illegal AI (the ban on AIs is literally one of the mechanicus equivalent of the 10 commandments, it's not exactly an obscure imperial regulation) to every techpriest ever.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Waci posted:

Worst case scenario, we identify a high level traitor.

Sure, but in this case we'd be identifying a high level traitor who has a long history of trust with everyone here and who can accurately denounce us for having consorted with an Abominable Intelligence, while simultaneously outing ourselves as an enemy of said traitor and explaining to said traitor the nature of at least one of her foes. Is that a good idea?

SerSpook posted:

The statement could be a warning. Others may be able to hear this conversation?

This too, come to think of it. Who else is listening? Is the conversation being recorded in such a way that they could analyze the binary bursts?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Tomn posted:

Sure, but in this case we'd be identifying a high level traitor who has a long history of trust with everyone here and who can accurately denounce us for having consorted with an Abominable Intelligence, while simultaneously outing ourselves as an enemy of said traitor and explaining to said traitor the nature of at least one of her foes. Is that a good idea?

This too, come to think of it. Who else is listening? Is the conversation being recorded in such a way that they could analyze the binary bursts?

Its easily the second most secure place in the Imperium. Take that as you will.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

We're specifically broadcasting on the level of subsonic noise. Unless they're recording far beyond the human audible range it'd never even pick up. We used the trick taught to us by Athena's avatar to do this, it's not exactly standard.

As for what I hope to gain. This is probably the only chance we'll ever have to catch an intelligence of her scope off guard. While there are risks, making her second guess her standing and our information gives us a unique opportunity to press for information that we wouldn't normally get.

Also we get to say a snarky one liner to an incredibly powerful being in their own stronghold. That has to be worth something.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Tomn posted:

This is the risk. I'm optimistic enough to say it's probably worth it.

Tomn posted:

Probably safe to assume so.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

LowellDND posted:

Its easily the second most secure place in the Imperium. Take that as you will.

I think this makes it more likely this communication isn't secure. At least from the Grey Knights.

Of course, that just means we be a bit cryptic

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
One of the advantages of being Magos is the ability to hold multiple conversations are the same time. We can speak in High Gothic and Binary at the same time. That said...

We are basically an entire scouting regiment's worth of equipment in one body, 90% of it is passive scanning, something can't be detected. I say we take in as much information as we can from everyone in the room

They are all robots.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Neuroticfish

You arched an eyebrow. <On the contrary, it proves you are not.>
She blinked in surprise, and then gestured, giving you the point.
“So, Inquisitor. Everyone in Terra is dying to know what you saw that made you think you found an STC.”
You chuckled. “Well, it built me a titan.”
The Grand Master cocked his head, spoke tentatively. “You could have found one.”
“Not like this. It’s a Jager Titan, Aegis model.”
He blinked. “I am not familiar.” But you could see the faint recognition in Athena’s eyes, like a memory long forgotten.
“I think I would like to see it.”
‘It’s on my ship. I did some initial tests, it’s essentially immune to everything I had on hand.”
“We have a few things you might not have seen.” The Grey Knight was smiling slightly.
You glanced at Athena. “That’s where the Grey Knight advantage comes from. You gave them your xeno-upgrades.”
She shrugged. “Of course. Anything, to destroy the Great Enemy.”

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

LowellDND posted:

Neuroticfish

She shrugged. “Of course. Anything, to destroy the Great Enemy.”

"Of Course" <And what enemy is that?>

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Just to get things percolating - I've hit all my plot points for Titan that I had planned. So if you want to keep talking / develop this mini arc / plan for the future, feel free. Otherwise I will probably start us on our way to Mars soon.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

I guess it's time to solidify a general goal as to what we want to get out of this visit. I'm thinking along the lines of the following.
  • Begin efforts to purge our daemonic package.
  • Request a meeting with the new Athena aboard the beast, or some other point where we can introduce our own version.
  • Read all available information related to the cabal's technological research.
  • Request anti-warp training and support for our personal retinue, with a focus on techniques that can be added to the training regimen for our new krieg.
  • Ask for personal access to whatever the grey knights use to cleanse their corruption.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
"You remember that probe that appeared here a while ago? With tech that you didn't recognize? Destroyed by a teleporting man with a hammer?"

That should both be a point about our STC-finding credentials, and a hint to Athena.

Tran posted:

I guess it's time to solidify a general goal as to what we want to get out of this visit. I'm thinking along the lines of the following.
  • Request a meeting with the new Athena aboard the beast, or some other point where we can introduce our own version.
  • Request anti-warp training and support for our personal retinue, with a focus on techniques that can be added to the training regimen for our new krieg.
  • Ask for personal access to whatever the grey knights use to cleanse their corruption.

Supported on all points.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Tran posted:

Agree with this

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Tran posted:

This is good, but also.
Become a psyker. Its finally time. The best defense against warp incursion is fighting on their terms, and possession half-opens the door there.
Literally a the biggest part of the grey knights warp resistance is training to use psyker techniques as a shield, and we have been accepted into the innermost ranks of their cabal.
Between eldar heritage, possession, the wierdling mutation and elite advances I think there's room for growth and stories here.

When fighting the great enemy, can we really afford NOT to pick up this weapon?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
You miss out if you don't hang out in the IRC chat. Lowell just remembered that we're owed an assassin and Tran just explained why the assassin is awesome and awful at the same time.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Arkanomen posted:

"Of Course" <And what enemy is that?>

Yep. Get her to acknowledge her clone/counterpart/double whatever she thinks other versions if her are.

Also:<Why do you choose to look aged? I mean really, a human would be dead. Why pretend?>

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

Oh hay I'm up to date!

That was an insane ride. Also it's good to see that goons are terrible at CYOAs in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

BoneMonkey posted:

Oh hay I'm up to date!

That was an insane ride. Also it's good to see that goons are terrible at CYOAs in general.

Good to see you again! :D

And yeah, we've seen some insane votes thus far :D