Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

In this thread feel free to post your dreams and have them discussed, dissected, and analyzed

Basic rules:

1) Don't leak GBS into this thread

I myself am curious on how our dreams are effected by such things as diet, quality and quantity of sleep, and life events

Recalling dreams
The recall of dreams is extremely unreliable, though it is a skill that can be trained. Dreams can usually be recalled if a person is awakened while dreaming. Women tend to have more frequent dream recall than men. Dreams that are difficult to recall may be characterized by relatively little affect, and factors such as salience, arousal, and interference play a role in dream recall. Often, a dream may be recalled upon viewing or hearing a random trigger or stimulus. The salience hypothesis proposes that dream content that is salient, that is, novel, intense, or unusual, is more easily remembered. There is considerable evidence that vivid, intense, or unusual dream content is more frequently recalled. A dream journal can be used to assist dream recall, for personal interest or psychotherapy purposes.

For some people, sensations from the previous night's dreams are sometimes spontaneously experienced in falling asleep. However they are usually too slight and fleeting to allow dream recall. At least 95% of all dreams are not remembered. Certain brain chemicals necessary for converting short-term memories into long-term ones are suppressed during REM sleep. Unless a dream is particularly vivid and if one wakes during or immediately after it, the content of the dream is not remembered.

Dream Diary
The very act of recording a dream can have the effect of improving future dream recall. Keeping a dream diary conditions a person to view remembering dreams as important. Dreams can be recorded in a paper diary (as text, drawings, paintings, etc.) or via an audio recording device (as narrative, music or imitations of other auditory experiences from the dream).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I had a pretty strange dream tonight before work, I remember hitting the snooze button a few times so that's probably why I remember it, being in the 'just before waking up' state.

I was trapped in a house with my ex, who for some reason was a serial killer or axe murderer. My biggest worry aside from should I try to call the police, was if I could steal another couple hours sleep before she found me and chopped me into pieces.

What the hell brain?

Banjo Bones
Mar 28, 2003

I wrote down some of my dreams:

1) I was in a cafe and was trying to talk to this girl who I found in the dream to be obnoxious, but I wanted or needed to talk to her for some reason. Half the conversation was in Spanish, which I don't know much of. During me trying to talk to her, these teenage kids kept poking or lightly hitting me and her, interrupting and bothering us. When I got up to confront them they would scamper away before I could catch them. I think this cycle of me sitting down to talk to her and then the kids interrupting us repeated like twice before I woke up.

2) I pulled the pin out and threw a flashbang on the floor of this house I was in, but then realized in the dream, 'oh poo poo, I shouldn't have done that." I was too scared in the dream to go up to it and kick it out of the house, so I waited and waited for the explosion, but it never came.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
I dreamed that my husband and I separated and he was living in a tree then we decided to get back together and have another baby. But then on the night he was supposed to come back there was some kind of national emergency and I was running through the forest with loads of dodgy people in cars everywhere. Then my husband (who was somewhere else) met up with a load of bad people and killed a baby rapist, Then someone else stabbed him in the throat and he fell back into a river and a giant tortoise ate him. He had also turned into Jack from Lost at this point.

QCIC
Feb 10, 2011

die Stimme der Energie
I had this dream while napping in the daytime, something I do rarely. I had been hired to be a motivational speaker at a sort of festival being held for a large construction firm, to celebrate the end of the fiscal year or whatever. I had never heard of the company before and I didn't know that I had the job until the day before. I went up on the outdoor stage, wearing a neon yellow track jacket, to start hyping everyone up. Then I realized I didn't have a microphone, so I yelled "Give me some noise while I look for a microphone!" Everyone cheered while I ran backstage and rummaged around, until the PR lady who was in charge of the event handed me my mic. I went back on stage and started giving the regular spiel, "I know this is a great company to work for, sales are up this quarter (they also manufactured construction equipment), this has been a great year for the company, and it's all thanks to you guys so enjoy yourselves today, this is all for you!" Big applause and I head out to join some executives and contractors at the first scheduled activity, which was an obstacle course set up with office furniture. You had to crawl under desks and jump over swivel chairs and stuff. I ran alongside the people while they navigated the obstacles and said stuff like "Watch out for that potted plant!" and "Boy, you guys are having trouble keeping up!" They seemed to be enjoying it until I get to the end and notice that the PR lady is giving me the death stare. To be fair I didn't know what the gently caress I was supposed to be doing so I ask her what's up, and she says "Look, you can't say that sales are up since our latest machinery had to be recalled due to a fatality, and you can't say that it was a good year for the company after the vice president's son was murdered in his home." So I gave up talking to people and just ran around in my neon track suit waving at people.

fwah
Dec 31, 2007

Sappo569 posted:

post your dreams and have them discussed, dissected, and analyzed

According to some lady's mom on This American Life radio show, dream talk is one of the 7 most boring/taboo things to talk about. This episode is really fun, I recommend it: http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/511/the-seven-things-youre-not-supposed-to-talk-about
spoiler: The lady's mom ends up standing her ground that discussion of dream content is boring/taboo, but the subsequent analysis of the dream is actually quite interesting

Coincidentally enough, I just had a dream a couple nights ago that I recorded by means of sending it to my friend because it was hilarious and involved him. The following is being recalled by me and told to a friend of mine from college -- picture him a slightly chubby white dude in his mid-late 20's with a comedian/punk demeanor, a puffy ragged beard, frizzy afroish brown hair:

fwah posted:

I just had a dream about you.
We were hangin' out at your new house... I may have just moved in with you. Got hungry, checked the fridge, there's a big extra-cheesy leftover pizza in it.
I was about to eat some, struggling with a piece with cheese stuck to the bottom, and you were like "NO. Let's get a PIZZA BOMB!"
"What's a Pizza Bomb?"
"They take an even bigger big extra-cheesy pizza and fold it all up in on itself. Trust me, it's awesome."
So we start to leave and you're like "Let's run there. I ran back and forth to this place 81 times yesterday!"
"okay..."
Cue you running along the sides of busy streets with construction and poo poo.
Only, you used your hands with fingers making quotation marks in the air as turn signals and poo poo, cutting cars off. You were looking over your shoulder a lot, getting really mad when people didn't heed your quotation marks, so you'd make them even more exaggeratedly with looks of frustrated disbelief, brow furrowed, head shaking.
Now, this pizza place was not close. You get really far ahead of me.
I stop and look around. Standing on the side of the road.
I see a store across the street. It's called "A Brony" in huge black letters with pink outlines. I don't see any merchandise in the window, just some dude in a nice suit with an ear piece and sunglasses, like some club security guard.
I'm like "wtf is this."
Somehow, I'm now receiving an explanation: "It's like My Little Pony but it's about a boy pony living with his abusive pony parents. See, his father's half-dead, half-alive, like a mean ol' zombie pony."
Whoever was explaining this has a script in their hand - they were reading from it as if for some audition or perhaps submitting their own pitch for a show.
Someone yells, "CUE THE TRANSPLANT!"
The script gets torn from their hand and replaced. They start reading the new one in a sad attempt at impersonating Samuel L. Jackson's voice: "There's Mothafuckin' SNAKES on a Mothafuckin' PLANE."
Fin.

That's when I woke up laughing and decided I had to share it with my friend.

I had been sick for a couple days, so I'd been taking Zyrtec + Sudafed + Ibuprofen, and the night before I had all those plus an entire bottle of red wine to myself, and Thai food for dinner. I'd been working a lot and just finished up some pretty big poo poo at work.

There ya have it, analyze away (or just enjoy what I think is a funny story).

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I had a good one a couple weeks ago that I still remember (largely because I took the time to write down everything I could remember as soon as I woke up.)
It took the form of a dystopic science fiction thriller that I was watching ("I" was not a character in the dream, everything was presented in film syle, though I could move around and change perspective in ways a film would obviously not allow me to do).
The film was called "Indefinity" starring Nicholas Cage and Mary Elizabeth Winstead (though she was billed in the opening credits as "Ramona Flowers").
The film opens on a steel-canyon metropolis. It is either all-underground or the buildings had grown together at the top. Either way, the sky is not visible and it is always night.
After a few establishing shots of the city which, in places when it isn't a neon-lit steel canyon, is basically like an extended subway station Nicholas Cage is shown jogging through the corridors in a gray sweatshirt and hood a-la Rocky. After a few shots of him jogging that establish the type of place this city is (lots of people in cyberpunk outfits and sleazy advertisements), he rounds a corner to a dead end. Along one wall are a series of storage lockers. Cage opens one of the lockers (which are person-sized) and disappears inside. The dream knows that he has done this many times before.
Cut to Cage enjoying breakfast with his family. He has a wife and two children that the dream doesn't bother to detail very thouroughly. They only exist to establish that Cage lives an outwardly normal life. Cage and family enjoy breakfast small talk before exchanging goodbyes. The mom is taking his two kids to daycare and Cage is leaving for work.
The interior of the Cage family breakfast nook is lit by what appears to be natural sunlight, but when the family steps outdoors, it is revealed their front door opens into the darkness of the city. Their house has a false front made to look like a suburban house, but the windows are fake and the "natural" light we saw earlier was just created by TVs or lamps behind window-shaped fixtures.
The wife pulls out of the driveway first. In the future, minivans also make beeping sounds when going forward, and give verbal warnings. Cage waits somewhat impatiently for the family minivan to pull out of the driveway. He is driving a large black car meant to be evocative of 1950s designs. When the van reaches the street, the beeping stops and it heads down the road at normal speed. Cage turns the opposite direction and heads to work. The camera follows the car and there are many scenes of the neon arcade that lines the highway. Cage reaches the denser urban parts of the city and traffic slows down.but after reaching a predesignated transition point, his car lifts up into the air and a throbbing techno beat fades in. His utilitarian car transforms into something sleek and fast looking with rocket boosters (like in MiB, basically).
After a couple seconds of hanging in the air looking cool, he blasts away in a manner evocative of the JJ Abrams Star Trek warp speed effect. The techno beat plays for a while as we watch the car zoom around the underground highway, which is laid out somewhat like the Mines of Moria only with traffic signals and made of concrete.
We cut to Cage sitting in his car and he starts to speak in voiceover.
"It's like running on a treadmill here. You can feel how hard you work, but you can never feel how fast you're going...".(at "but" Cut to Cage jogging again, this time in slow motion, but the film returns to normal speed by the time he says "going."). Once again he goes to the dead end and steps inside the locker. This time the camera follows him. Behind the locker is another passage that is apparently unfinished construction that has been abandoned in progress. There are scaffolds, fluttering tarps and those lanterns with the cages around the bulbs. Cage comes to a door in a temporary partition. Scrawled on the door in spraypaint is the word "Indefinity."
the door opens onto the top of a steel stairwell.the kind with those lozenge shaped holes in the steel for traction. The metal is painted orange. At the bottom of the stairwell (it is a fairly short stair, maybe 10 or so steps down, so the bottom is very visible) a doughy goth girl stands guard. The dream knows that the fee to enter Indefinity is $1000 per visit. There is no password and anyone who knows about it may enter as long as they pay the cover charge. Cage wordlessly hands a wad of bills to the goth girl. The dream knows she recognizes him from his regular visits, but she is indifferent towards him.
Cage steps through the door into Indefinity.
Indefinity is a cathedral sized open space, also apparently halted mid-construction. It is very well lit, not a dark nightclub atmosphere, more like a train station. All along the edges of the room are beds full of writhing prostitutes wearing lots of neon accessories. Privacy for the beds is supplied by curtains of sheer cloth that trail down from high above or from cheap mobile privacy curtains obviously stolen from a hospital. Things aren't really uniform and the atmosphere is somewhat chaotic. There are smatterings of people here and there engaged in various depravities. (PG-13 depravities like cyberdrugs, injecting themselves with glowing hyposprays, wearing wraparound visors and seminude writhing).
There are drugs and other contraband for sale on stands and kiosks randomly distributed around the space. The dream knows that Indefinity is a place "off the grid" where rules are not enforced and anything goes (except obviously things that would endanger the continued solvency of Indefinity). The prostitutes and drug vendors try to tempt Cage, but he is not interested. He steps through another door, this time into a dark, nightclub like space where Ramona Flowers is appearing onstage to sing an operetta. Cage is enraptured by her angelic voice and there's a few minutes where the scene just cuts between Ramona singing and Cage with tears in his eyes. Ramona is dressed in street clothes, not in costume (Ripped denim and one stocking and stuff, also stupid colorful crap in her hair).

This is getting pretty long. I'm gonna break it up into two posts.

Applewhite fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Aug 18, 2014

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Cut to cage driving back from Indefinity and on his way to work. At this point in the film, it is revealed that Cage's car has a gruff but loveable AI voiced by Alec Baldwin. For whatever reason, the car has a "buddy cop" relationship with Cage.
Cage and the car discuss the operetta and the meaning behind it. Cage is effusive with his praise, but the car highlights the darker undertones. Over the course of the conversation, it is revealed that Cage works for the "Bureau of Dentistry and Oral Medicine" which runs the United States. Cage is a dentist.
Apparently in this future, dentists are responsible for administering drugs to keep the population docile. The country is still outwardly run by the normal government, but apparently social unrest and whatnot made traditional government untenable and the real authority belongs to a handful of agencies of which the Bureau of Dentistry is currently ascendant. The agencies are supposed to all coordinate efforts to keep the population docile, but they are fighting with each other more and more. As they're driving, the car AI points out the billboards along the side of the road. Cage doesn't find anything noteworthy about them, so the windshield flashes and a digital filter is applied. The ads have now changed, displaying subliminal messages in the manner of "They Live."
But instead of saying "Obey" and "submit" and such as subliminal messages should, the ads say "Resist" and "revolt," "think for yourself" and so on. The car points this out as evidence of mischief on the part of the Bureau of Advertising, which has lately become more aggressive in its criticism of the BoDaOM and thinks IT should be running the show.
The BoA is trying to foement civil unrest so that it can step in and be in charge. The car also points out that the BoA is probably pulling Ramona Flowers's strings as well and that she is part of a plot to discredit Cage.
Cage agrees but doesn't care. He's in love.

I woke up right after that. There was some stuff with what Cage does at his destination, but what little narrative there is completely falls apart at that point.

Anyway, not sure what you can psychoanalyze from all that but it sure was entertaining to dream anyway.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Good thing i kept a dream diary! Haven't writtein in it for a while but i think i'm gonna start again, mostly because i actually remember my dreams when i write them down in the morning. I haven't written anything for like two years, and i can't recall a single dream during that whole period (except for a few, or a few recurring themes). But for those dreams i wrote down, even ones as early as 2007, i still have a memory of them. It's like they just float away completely from memory if i don't reflect on them.

Let's see if i can dig up one that doesn't sound like a erotic novel when i get home.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Falukorv posted:

Good thing i kept a dream diary! Haven't writtein in it for a while but i think i'm gonna start again, mostly because i actually remember my dreams when i write them down in the morning. I haven't written anything for like two years, and i can't recall a single dream during that whole period (except for a few, or a few recurring themes). But for those dreams i wrote down, even ones as early as 2007, i still have a memory of them. It's like they just float away completely from memory if i don't reflect on them.

Let's see if i can dig up one that doesn't sound like a erotic novel when i get home.

Subconscious and all that, so let it hang out

Would like to see how much can be remembered using a journal, as opposed to waking up and thinking 'that dream was hosed up, I might remember it tomorrow'

One of the most memorable dreams for me is quite old, probably 20 years or more:

I was in my parents house (being 14 years old), and someone was chasing me around, I seem to remember the dream would repeat (like groundhog day), and just as I got my hand on the door knob to escape via the front door... I would get knifed across the back.

The weird thing was I remember the physicality of the knife slashing me, everything but the pain, it was so vivid and almost real life.

drat you brain!

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I had a good one that I wrote down just recently (don't worry, It's not super long).
I dreamed that there was an alien that had come to Earth and brought with him "the secret to transcendence" that allowed humans to transcend into beings of pure energy using the alien's patented meditation techniques. The techniques really worked, too. The method was outlined in a series of cheezy self-help books, and the alien himself ran a mega-church where hundreds of people would climb up on stage and transform into beings of pure energy right before the audience's very eyes (the alien himself had taken the form of a typical TV evangelist, complete with bombastic southern accent, sleazy haircut and pastel-colored suit). The mega-church was the only place where the transformation could take place, but supplicants had to first complete the steps in the self-help book before making the final pilgrimmage.
But there was a dark secret!
While the alien's techniques really did help people to "transcend into pure energy" what the alien wasn't telling us was that that pure energy was the alien's food source. Each person who "transcended" was actually being sucked up by the alien.
I was a member of a secret society that knew this and was dedicated to stopping the alien.
The alien was too powerful to confront directly. His cult was rapidly supplanting all other religions in the US and had millions of fervent disciples. It was my mission to travel back in time and stop him before he became powerful.
Using modifications of the alien's own meditation techniques, I was able to send my consciousness backwards along my own "reincarnation timeline" to inhabit the body of one of my past lives.
What I hadn't counted on was that the reincarnation cycle transcends parallel universes. My most immediate prior reincarnation inhabited an alternate history where the pilgrims had settled in Africa instead of America. American culture was still basically the same with McDonalds and baseball and everything, but it was "The United States of Africa" and New England was at the Horn of Africa.
In this alternate history, "manifest destiny" had pushed Black Africans ("Native Africans") onto reservations and Native Americans had been slaves, leading to a huge, disenfranchised "American African" population with a culture that was a fusion between stereotypical Native American culture and urban hip-hop ("thug lyfe" involved a lot of feathers and dreamcatchers instead of gold chains).
Also, Central America took the cultural parallel to our middle east, with lots of angry Aztecs blowing themselves up in the name of Quetzalcoatl.
I was a member of the "Colonial Guard" in that timeline (the U.S. Military was a lot more British-looking, and my uniform was a typical "jungle khakis" get-up with jodphurs and pithlemet). I was also a woman, but aside from acknowledging the fact, the difference was never really referenced.
I wandered around for a bit trying to find where the alien had got to so I could assasinate him, but woke up before that plotline went anywhere.

hermand
Oct 3, 2004

V-Dubbin
What a coincidence - I don't usually remember dreams, or they fade quickly but I had a super vivid one this morning.

I dreamt that my neighbour ran out of house screaming that it was on fire. Sure enough, there was smoke behind him so I grabbed my phone and dialed the emergency number.

This is where the dream gets odd and makes me think it's indicative - firstly, I couldn't get through at all. I kept trying and eventually a nice, but completely unphased woman answered and start asking a million questions about me, the house and the fire but wouldn't take the address. Finally, she took it down and told me they were on their way.

The dream was set in reality and we have a fire station 3 minutes away. despite this I had to keep calling and eventually they turned up after half an hour. Except when they did, they parked 500m away and just seemed to mill around. I went to see them and they started grilling me for details about the fire 'so they'd know how to fight it'. I tried to do my best and after a few trips back and forth they gave me a fire extinguisher which was completely useuless.

The whole dream was just so infuriating - I remember feeling so utterly frustrated, angry and confused at everyone's disinterest. I think what made it worse is that everything was super realisitic apart from the crap response.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

hermand posted:

What a coincidence - I don't usually remember dreams, or they fade quickly but I had a super vivid one this morning.

I dreamt that my neighbour ran out of house screaming that it was on fire. Sure enough, there was smoke behind him so I grabbed my phone and dialed the emergency number.

This is where the dream gets odd and makes me think it's indicative - firstly, I couldn't get through at all. I kept trying and eventually a nice, but completely unphased woman answered and start asking a million questions about me, the house and the fire but wouldn't take the address. Finally, she took it down and told me they were on their way.

The dream was set in reality and we have a fire station 3 minutes away. despite this I had to keep calling and eventually they turned up after half an hour. Except when they did, they parked 500m away and just seemed to mill around. I went to see them and they started grilling me for details about the fire 'so they'd know how to fight it'. I tried to do my best and after a few trips back and forth they gave me a fire extinguisher which was completely useuless.

The whole dream was just so infuriating - I remember feeling so utterly frustrated, angry and confused at everyone's disinterest. I think what made it worse is that everything was super realisitic apart from the crap response.

I think your dream is symbolic of how you feel like you are the only one to recognize a particular problem for what it really is. It was a neighbor's house and not yours, so the issue might be happening to someone else. Do you have any close friends or relatives who may be suffering from a problem that is destroying them from within? Perhaps a drug addiction or depression?
If so:
The emergency responders represent society's approach to the problem your friend is having. They make a nominal showing (#dontdodrugslol), but you feel they don't actually accomplish anything tangible, ultimately dumping responsibility on you ("you" in this case being friends and family of the sufferer). The endless questions they ask might represent the way society often treats defining the problem as a bigger issue than the problem itself ("before we can really fight a fire, we have to understand what a fire really is, and what causes it. Ultimately, the only real way to fight fires is to eliminate the social and economic conditions that cause fires in the first place" That's great and all, but in the meantime, CAN YOU PUT SOME WATER ON THIS FIRE!?).
If you don't have a personal aquaintence whose problems concern you, the neighbor in this case may represent the problem in general, or (and I'm going out on a limb here) the recently late Robin Williams, who ultimately lost his own battle with depression, in spite of having access to the best help money could buy.

Applewhite fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Aug 21, 2014

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
This is a fresh one from this morning:
I dreamed I was attending a hentai convention, but that it was super boring and there was nothing sexy or even explicit. All the "hentai" mangas were so heavily blurred and censored that they were actually less sexual than normal manga.
The convention hall was huge (it was based on the merchant floor at the Baltimore Convention center) but the space was very underutilized. There were no big screens or displays. Just a bunch of CRT TVs on those little AV trolleys like from elementary school with a few rows of folding metal chairs set up in front of each, where an audience of adolescents watched lovely animes with rapt attention. There were also a few shelves full of self-published dojinshi scattered around the floor, but they were all abysmal.
I was there with the gang from Scooby Doo, who were my friends. They didn't really retain their personalities from the show. We shot the poo poo like normal people and Scooby was a regular, non-talking, non-CGI great dane. Velma was way into the anime stuff and I got the impression we were there largely for her.
I picked a seat in the back row in front of a TV that was playing a low-production-values Pokemon hentai and started catching up on my Kindle library (I think I actually spent the bulk of the convention reading my kindle, only occasionally looking up at the depressing merchant offerings).
Suddenly, Fred jumps up all excited and is like "gang, we gotta go! There's a ghost haunting the old lighthouse!"
Velma resisted, but got dragged out by everyone else, who were just happy for an excuse to leave.
We hosed around at the old lighthouse for a bit. A dusty old phone rang and a ghostly voice on the other end demanded I give his phone back, so I told him to "come and take it, rear end in a top hat," and hung up on him.
Then there was some confusing biz involving Big Bird getting eviscerated and a goblin or whatever, but I woke up.

Applewhite fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Aug 21, 2014

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I have a couple of recurring ones about places I used to work (a pawn shop I was wrongly fired from and a paper/chemical distribution warehouse I hated towards the end and has since gone out of business). In the dream, I end up going back to work for these places and sometimes it's okay and others it's not - mainly due to my being unable to understand the computer system they were using.

Then there's the "elevator dream". I enter a standard issue elevator, push a button and then the elevator starts rising. Instead of going straight up, it starts to go upside down and backward in an arc. I usually wake up before it goes completely over, but one time I was able to go all the way over and ended up right side up and exiting the car without any injuries. I haven't had this one in years.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Mister Kingdom posted:

I have a couple of recurring ones about places I used to work (a pawn shop I was wrongly fired from and a paper/chemical distribution warehouse I hated towards the end and has since gone out of business). In the dream, I end up going back to work for these places and sometimes it's okay and others it's not - mainly due to my being unable to understand the computer system they were using.

Then there's the "elevator dream". I enter a standard issue elevator, push a button and then the elevator starts rising. Instead of going straight up, it starts to go upside down and backward in an arc. I usually wake up before it goes completely over, but one time I was able to go all the way over and ended up right side up and exiting the car without any injuries. I haven't had this one in years.

I know I've had loads of dreams like the elevator, where you push a button for say floor 5, and no matter what you do the elevator refuses to go to that floor.

A horrible helpless feeling though, that much I can remember

Another variation would be driving down the road and it seems like the car has a mind of its own, you're turning the wheel frantically and it refuses to go the other direction

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I occasionally (like every month or so) will have a lucid dream where I can sort of spawn a city/world around me and explore it. I always take the opportunity to feel up a bunch of dream women. What does this say about me?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Ytlaya posted:

I occasionally (like every month or so) will have a lucid dream where I can sort of spawn a city/world around me and explore it. I always take the opportunity to feel up a bunch of dream women. What does this say about me?

That you're one of the few people capable of lucid dreaming on a regular basis?

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
The recurring theme i can identify most often is dreaming that i really need to pee, but can't, either out of physical inability, or i'm busy running from on place to another (i.e taking trips, need to wiat for a train etc) without having the time to stop and pee, even though i'm constantly bothered by my full bladder throughout the dream.

Is my brain telling me i need to go take a piss?
I seldom wake up prematurely from those dreams though.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Falukorv posted:

The recurring theme i can identify most often is dreaming that i really need to pee, but can't, either out of physical inability, or i'm busy running from on place to another (i.e taking trips, need to wiat for a train etc) without having the time to stop and pee, even though i'm constantly bothered by my full bladder throughout the dream.

Is my brain telling me i need to go take a piss?
I seldom wake up prematurely from those dreams though.

If I need to pee and try in a dream, my subconscious always comes up with various ways to ruin it. Public bathroom? Every fixture is out of order. Give up and try to pee in the sink? Someone is eyeballing me. Pee outdoors? Too many bugs. Pee in my own house? Door is locked from the inside.
I'm pretty sure it's our brains stopping us from wetting the bed.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Applewhite posted:

If I need to pee and try in a dream, my subconscious always comes up with various ways to ruin it. Public bathroom? Every fixture is out of order. Give up and try to pee in the sink? Someone is eyeballing me. Pee outdoors? Too many bugs. Pee in my own house? Door is locked from the inside.
I'm pretty sure it's our brains stopping us from wetting the bed.

Says you, I never have any problem peeing the bed :viggo:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Applewhite posted:

That you're one of the few people capable of lucid dreaming on a regular basis?

I can't make myself do it, though. It just happens once every month or so. I have no idea what causes it or how to actively make it happen.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
A technique that works for me about 70% of the time is to imagine myself cimbing an endless flight of stairs. Just keep climbing those stairs until you realize you're asleep.
In theory, the repetition puts you to sleep, but by staying focused, the conscious mind remains active.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

I keep having these dreams where I'm back in school, it's almost the end of the semester, and terror flows through me as I suddenly realize I've been forgetting to go to one of the classes that was on my schedule the entire time. Nothing else really happens until I wake up, it's just me freaking out while trying to figure out how this happened, how to fix this, worrying about having to take extra time to graduate, etc. It loving sucks and it's the only dream I ever remember.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

MrSmokes posted:

I keep having these dreams where I'm back in school, it's almost the end of the semester, and terror flows through me as I suddenly realize I've been forgetting to go to one of the classes that was on my schedule the entire time. Nothing else really happens until I wake up, it's just me freaking out while trying to figure out how this happened, how to fix this, worrying about having to take extra time to graduate, etc. It loving sucks and it's the only dream I ever remember.

It probably has something to do with that growing stack of letters from your high school that you've been too scared to open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

MrSmokes posted:

One thing I don't understand is that, during my second and third year of college, I kept having this dream that I got a letter from my high school informing me that I never completed several required courses and had to attend high school while attending college or I would be kicked out of college. I'd try to and fail horribly as I had to attend the high school I originally went to which is a 40 minute drive from my college. It was typically a bunch of rather basic classes that would be prerequisites for stuff I was taking at the time. I'm talking like geometry and trig and such when I was in calculus classes.

The stupidest part is I didn't start college right out of high school. I'm doing it at the ripe age of 30 something so where the hell this dream came from is a mystery. Oddly enough I haven't had it in a while either.

• Locked thread