Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
:siren: :siren: :siren: Season 2 Discussion starts HERE :siren: :siren: :siren:

I honestly wasn’t going to do a thread.

The couple of times I tried to plug BoJack Horseman in Couch Chat, I picked up some resistance — which is annoying, but my tastes aren’t exactly discerning, so whatever. Between my posts in Couch Chat being met with skepticism, the generally lukewarm reviews this show has been getting, and the fact that it’s very, very hard to take a show named BoJack Horseman seriously, my plan was to watch it, maybe rave about it on Twitter when I needed to, but generally just keep my enjoyment of the show off the forums.

Then I finished the season, and I said "gently caress the plan."

On Alan Sepinwall and Dan Fienberg’s podcast, the two critics noted that the show fell short when it trafficked in well-worn Hollywood satire. They’re not wrong; that is absolutely the majority of the first six episodes, and that broad satire remains present through the second half of the series. (It’s no coincidence that its worst episode, “One Trick Pony,” is almost entirely satire-focused.) For those who were unaware of the show, here’s the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1eJMig5Ik4

Look at that cast: Gob! Jerri Blank! Annie Adderall! Jesse Pinkman! And is that Andrew Lloyd Weber I heard? What a great cast for a satire of good ol’ Hollyweird, amirite? And some of the characters, including most of the main ones, are anthropomorphized animals that get into decidedly adult situations! And nobody acts like this interspecies mingling is odd! Why, we haven’t seen anything like that since the days of Seth MacFarlane!

Pictured: BoJack in Horsin' Around with his three young co-stars

And that is, for sure, what you’re getting to begin with. BoJack Horseman (Will Arnett) was the star of Horsin’ Around, a Full House-alike that aired in the 90s. BoJack played the kah-ray-zee bachelor that was inexplicably saddled with two teenagers and a cute little girl, solving each of their issues in 30 minutes, making people laugh and warming their hearts. Of course the show couldn't last forever, and when it ended, he slid into that weird area of C-list fame where people knew of him but never took him seriously. He doesn't really need to work, but it's not like the world's knocking at his door anyway.

So this is his life now, dramatized by the opening credits:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQvIR1oL1vE

He floats through, concerned with nothing but himself, oblivious to the life happening around him. He spends his nights getting hosed up. He keeps finding himself underwater, only to somehow float back to the surface by morning. For the record, this should be your first clue that the show is at least slightly more concerned with character than toothless jokes about the culture of celebrity, but we’ll get into that later.

The show picks up in the midst of BoJack’s haze of a life. The closest people he has to friends are Todd (Aaron Paul, right), the loser who’s been surfing on his couch for five years, and Princess Carolyn (Amy Sedaris), who just broke up with him (but is still his agent). There’s also Mr. Peanutbutter (Paul F. Tompkins): He starred in a sitcom that was a little too close to Horsin’ Around for BoJack's liking, but he came out of it with a more positive, excitable attitude than the cynical and depressed BoJack. Not that it makes him a better person, mind you: Imagine a dumber, more mindlessly cruel Tom Hanks, and you’ll get the idea.

Pictured: BoJack tolerating Todd

Anyway, BoJack “wants” to write his memoirs and cement his legacy, but he’s too busy doing whatever else, and his financially strapped publisher (a penguin, naturally) is running out of patience. Penguin wants to to hire a ghostwriter, which the emotionally sealed-off BoJack is resistant to. This changes when BoJack meets the writer Penguin has in mind: Diane Nguyen (Alison Brie), a reserved, smart, and comforting woman who popped onto everyone’s radar with her biography of Secretariat — incidentally, BoJack’s dream role. BoJack and Diane take an immediate liking to each other, but she happens to be dating Mr. Peanutbutter, tempering their all-too-obvious attractions.

Pictured: BoJack learns Diane Nguyen's boyfriend is his rival, Mr. Peanutbutter

The spine of the show is BoJack collaborating on these memoirs with Diane, which forces him to crack open and examine his life, and he does not like what he sees. However, it turns out that the six episodes that were sent to critics examines this only in the most basic of ways, so it’s carried almost entirely on your sense of humor. Willa Paskin, whose review from Slate I shamelessly cannibalized parts of this OP from, puts it best:

quote:

BoJack is perhaps a little more clever than it is uproariously funny, but it is often very clever, and, moreover, well-tuned to the ludicrousness of the sort of low-level fame that surrounds BoJack. In one episode, Todd sells tickets to BoJack’s house by pretending it is David Boreanaz’s, whoever exactly that is, Todd’s not sure. Another episode features Sarah Lynn (Kristen Schaal), who once co-starred as a little girl on Horsin’ Around and then turned herself into a sexpot pop star with an anthem called “Prickly Muffin.” Now at 30, Sarah Lynn is a blithe drug addict dating Andrew Garfield and being out-sex-potted by a 14-year-old dubstep dolphin star named Sextina Aquafina. (The animals and their names are, generally speaking, delightful. There’s a rooster who runs by every morning screaming “Wake up!” and a chicken who, when startled, craps out an egg. There’s even a maggot mortician who slithers toward coffins.) BoJack, feeling guilty about not being there for Sarah Lynn when she was younger, takes her in, lets her destroy his house, and then starts sleeping with her, making himself as much a part of her problem as everyone else. The sex is even photographed by two paparazzi—birds—who spend the next three episodes trying to get BoJack on the phone to blackmail him. He doesn’t answer, though, because he doesn’t accept calls from unknown numbers.

To add to that: There’s a scene in the second episode where BoJack gets into an argument with a seal (voiced by Patton Oswalt — he also voices BoJack’s publisher and a host of other small roles) over a box of muffins that the seal called “dibs” on in perhaps dubious fashion. BoJack spitefully takes the muffins anyway. Later, during his first writing session with Diane, he gets a call from Princess Carolyn, screaming at him to turn on the TV. It turns out that the seal is a Navy vet who just got back from a tour in Afghanistan, and now he’s complaining about BoJack to a newsman (a whale) voiced by Keith Olbermann. The whale goes on a trademark Olbermann blowhard rant (note: that doesn’t link to the scene, that’s an actual Olbermann rant for the few who might not know what I’m talking about). It’s filled with big words and righteous, educated fury; he even drops a full-throated “HAVE YOU NO SHAME?” And it all leads up to his big point, that BoJack's "antics” are no longer funny “WHEN YOU STEAL A MEAL FROM NEAL MCBEAL THE NAVY SEAL!”

If any of that sounds even mildly amusing to you, you’ll be able to handle these six episodes just fine. If not, then getting you to stick with it through Episode 7 is a hell of an ask, enough that it’s understandable if you’d rather not accept.

Pictured: Princess Carolyn on a date with BoJack

But it turns out that episode 7 — the very first episode that wasn’t made available to critics — is where it all turns and the show’s true strengths become clear. The episode switches story focus a bit to Princess Carolyn getting caught up in an agency merger, facing irrelevancy in the form of her younger, perkier, family-driven rival Vanessa Gekko. Backed onto the precipice, Carolyn evaluates her life and begins to ask herself how much her obsession with work has actually cost her. The question takes her through an emotional roundabout that leaves her no closer to an answer — on a day, it’s revealed through the episode’s brutal punchline, where most people would want such answers.

Episode 8 examines BoJack’s history, lays the ground for his regrets, and ends on nearly as tough a note as 7 did. After an ultimately ill-advised trip back to Satireland in episodes 9 and (mostly) 10, 11 is a show-stopping trip with a gut-punch of an ending that justifies the existence of the entire series. “Downer Ending” is to BoJack Horseman what “Nature” is to Moral Orel. It’s such a confident commitment to the story’s darkest psychological edges, that it potentially snaps the whole series into relief. Just like “LOL CHRISTIANS” was both the weakest part of Moral Orel and necessary to set up the dark psychology of its characters, it turns out the lame-rear end “LOL HOLLYWOOD” stuff in BoJack Horseman serves as the context that allows the show to demonstrate how so many of its players wrestle with the malaise of life. By the end of the show, this stupid cartoon is populated with characters weighed down by regret, scared of and driven by their lack of viable options. It's not exactly subtle, but it's effective and even powerful work. (Now, if you have a problem with the “LOL ANIMALS” stuff, well, there’s no deeper meaning to that, that’s just how they roll. Deal with it or get out.)

It helps that Arnett is down for this like few other roles he’s had before: he takes his stock “narcissistic jackass” persona and slowly turns it inside out to show us this broken human-horse being who is desperate to make something real out of his life, but holds himself back because he fears it may already be too late. When it’s revealed at the beginning of Episode 12 why he wants Secretariat so badly, it loving hurts. And both his final line to Diane, and his final line of the season, cut deep.

There’s no getting around the fact that this show is flawed, perhaps fatally to some people. But it is something very special, and I urge you to give this a chance. When it connects with people, it does so in a big way.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jul 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

BoJack Horseman being a wacky comedy cartoon that gets grim as it goes on is surprising if you have never seen an alt-comedy show or adult-focused cartoon comedy sitcom ever. Will Arnett's last two big television outings, Arrested Development Season 4 and The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret, follows a similar arc of getting more depressing and character-focused as it goes on.

A fair point, though I'd argue that Arrested Development Season 4 was (assuming you liked it) slick enough to fold that downward spiral into the specific comic tone of the series. When George Michael punches his father in the face, it's played just as much if not more for laughs than as an expression of how well and truly broken the Bluth family is. I shouldn't speak as conclusively for Todd Margaret since I never watched more than 3 episodes of it, but I assume that since it ended with Todd destroying the world on behalf of North Korea, it maintained some sort of absurdist bent the whole way through.

quote:

When it comes to animated sitcoms it's more noteworthy when they don't get grim and dramatic, even Family Guy has Moral Orel-style episodes where the boys go camping to kill Quagmire's abusive brother-in-law.

Jesus. I try (and yes, fail) to avoid speaking in absolutes, but I can confidently call that the dumbest smart-sounding comparison you could have possibly made.

Whereas that third season of Moral Orel and (I'd argue) that second half of BoJack felt like a payoff to ground that was laid in advance, that episode of Family Guy didn't work precisely because it felt so out of place -- like all of the sudden the writers decided they wanted to do a straight-faced revenge movie in the middle of this wacky animated sitcom. The characters even changed a bit in order to support this idea, and then they went right back to status quo the next week. In fact, though I stopped watching Family Guy and am expecting to put my foot in my mouth at some point, I wouldn't be surprised if we never heard from Quagmire's sister again!

I know what you're saying though, and because I hate that I may be dragging this thread through a slapfight, I'll even help you. There are two episodes of Family Guy I can think of that better support your point. There's "Brian and Stewie," the episode where the two characters get locked in a bank vault and Stewie confronts Brian about the gun in his safe deposit box. And then there's "Seahorse Seashell Party," where Meg finally has enough of her family's poo poo and calls them all out for being horrible to her. Both those episodes arguably work at a dramatic level and are couched in well-established relationships and character traits. Even though things go back on plan for the next episode (and in the case of "Seahorse" I'd argue that it was way too easy, but whatever), at least there's a small sense that these things happened. But in the end, they were still one-offs. Next week it was right back to jokes; these events didn't have emotional repercussions that needed to be dealt with in future episodes. Forget BoJack for a second; that's the key difference between a show like Family Guy and a show like Moral Orel.

But your argument is that it's not inherently special for BoJack Horseman to slide from comedy to drama like it does, and at the very least, I agree that it's not the best show to do so. I even admitted (EDIT: At least in the original version of my OP) that Moral Orel went darker and meant to/should have implied that it did it better.

So what?

That's TWO SHOWS that managed that tonal shift in a sea of hundreds, perhaps thousands. For the sake of argument we'll add in AD Season 4 and Todd Margaret. 4 shows. Let's add in other unnamed alt-comedy shows and adult-focused cartoons like Duckman (RIP). If you've seen most or all of those dozens of shows, then of course BoJack's not going to play as anything inherently interesting. But there are plenty of people out there, and I'm one of them, who haven't. And what BoJack pulls off is going to feel relatively impressive to us. It could even gateway us to these better shows if you weren't so busy trying to prove how overhyped this show is or flaunt how much better those shows were or are.

And not for nothing, but I couldn't handle Todd Margaret for more than three episodes because nearly everyone on that show is some level of unlikable rear end in a top hat. In the case of BoJack, I find myself rooting for a lot of these people despite their worst natures -- something Kid loving Notorious couldn't pull off if one of its characters was a puppy with cancer -- and I suspect a lot of people who enjoy this show feel the same way, regardless of how much experience they have with those shows.

If you feel differently, of course that’s fine. I don't want to harangue you for the opposing opinion that you're free to share, and I'm not particularly interested in changing your mind. I even agree with you on a few points, including:

quote:

...it never has enough confidence to completely break away from the premise, leading to wastes of time like a subplot that is a flaccid parody of Spring Breakers [note: there was a little bit of The Bling Ring in there too] that culminates in girls in bikinis and balaclavas beating up Aaron Paul's character while dubstep plays.

All I ask is that you don't act like you're superior for liking something less than other people do. Gamer has its fans (I'm not one of them, Michael C. Hall's ridiculous dancing aside). So does this. And anyone can make anything sound stupid. The only thing that matters in the end is how you connect with it or don't. Let's talk about that instead.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Oct 31, 2014

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

precision posted:

I was gonna say, I keep trying to hear Jesse in that character and I barely can. Never would have thought he was so good at voiceover work.

If this show keeps going he'll own "Hooray!" about as effectively as he owns "BITCH". Fingers crossed; I'm talking it up where I can.

Oddly enough, some of may favorite little gags come from the less successful first half of the season: The Neal McBeal bit. The Comedy Central Roast of Gloria Steinem. Mr. Peanutbutter's show being created by David Chase and Steven Bochco. The constant confusion over what show David Boreanaz is on. "Dane Cook, who we already know is a thief." If it wasn't already obvious that I'm easily amused, I suppose this show seals it.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Holy poo poo I actually thought they might sunset this given the lukewarm critical reception. Cheering right now.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

Saw this pop up on Netflix last night and figured I'd watch it. I agree with the opinions in the thread that the first half is fairly weak. A few chuckles, but not uproarious, but the last half really knocked it out of the park. I'm really looking forward to the next season, if they keep up this level of quality I'll have a new favourite series. Also, I loved how Bojack never lets go of his award through the whole episode.

He actually puts it down once: for the Secretariat audition where he monologues (in character, but remember this is his dream role) about how he's been running from "nothing."

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I wish they'd have done one episode, even if it was 10 minutes or so.

Raphael Bob-Waksberg was part of a Twitter Q&A yesterday afternoon, and apparently this is not out of the question.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
I don't know if this is worth sharing or even worth being privately amused by, but Keith Olbermann's Twittter icon is a shot of Tom Jumbo-Grumbo.

I guess it's just cool to see him so into this minor role that satirizes him, even if it's mild at best.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

zoux posted:

I think Telescope was the best episode. Also I love animal pun jokes and I don't care who knows about it.

So do you think there are going to be a lot of rereviews between now and season 2 about how the show was much better than the first six episodes they sent out on screeners? The AV Club review especially had a lot of its concerns addressed well in the back half.

I think that would require enough buzz to entice those critics to take another look, and I can't see that happening. We're all reasonably high on it in here, some liking it less than others, only a handful of posters outright disliking it. But I suspect we're part of a minority, and putting aside whatever whining I may have done in the OP it's not such a big injustice that this show isn't as appreciated as it is. Waiting an entire half a season for a comedy to get "good" is a really big ask, especially if you don't vibe with the show's sense of humor (and, as pointed out, you're extremely sensitive to oversold jokes, like the Andrew Garfield stuff in episode 3).

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Propaganda Machine posted:

Haha yeah and Keith Olbermann is a humpback whale that fits behind a standard news desk. It's pretty funny that the geography is what's getting to me.

Don't forget that BoJack is the size of a normal human but is also 1200 lbs. End of the day, it's all cartoon logic; coolness and/or comedy supersede reality.

Not that I mean to come off as judgmental. I've been there. Just...can't help pointing that out, I guess.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

zoux posted:

So do you think there are going to be a lot of rereviews between now and season 2 about how the show was much better than the first six episodes they sent out on screeners? The AV Club review especially had a lot of its concerns addressed well in the back half.

DivisionPost posted:

I think that would require enough buzz to entice those critics to take another look, and I can't see that happening.

Hi, foot! Make yourself comfortable in my mouth!

Alan Sepinwall (AH, QUIT YOUR BITCHING) posted:

Given how the world of the show seems designed, like certain Adult Swim comedies, to be best appreciated while stoned, it's amazing how three-dimensional the characters become, and how poignant so much of the season's second half is, even while it's packed with absurd gags. (My favorite involves Vincent Adultman, a character whom only BoJack seems to realize is actually three little boys standing on each other's shoulders while wearing a trench coat, "Little Rascals"-style.)

The first page focuses on You're the Worst, if you're interested.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Vulture's turn to shower BoJack with praise.

quote:

BoJack's funny and smart, but he's also unbelievably lonely — so lonely that he sabotages his sort-of-assistant Todd's (Aaron Paul) rock opera so Todd won't be able to leave his side. (The first draft of the rock opera is bad, though. "That was, and I don't say this lightly, worse than a hundred September 11ths," BoJack tells Todd.) At every opportunity to be kind or supportive or even neutral, BoJack winds up being abrasive, cruel, or damaging, sometimes on purpose, but not always. The relatively bare-bones animation emphasizes these moments where BoJack loses control of his nastiness; his eyes bulge a little, shocked by his own reflexive awfulness, but then he retreats, eyes relax, and he doubles down, insisting that he's merely stating the facts, that he doesn't care if he hurts anyone, that he's just being honest or whatever. We're seeing BoJack's mean streak in these moments, sure, but we're also seeing how detached he is, that weird delay between saying something and realizing you're saying it. That's depression! Alienation of self is a classic manifestation of depression! And not that clichéd, fake-rear end TV depression of just laying on the couch for an afternoon. The real, life-altering, is-this-who-I-am kind. This is so rarely articulated or portrayed on TV in any way; somehow a cartoon horse dude is teaching us about ourselves, you guys.

[...]

BoJack's deep despondence gets hidden in a sea of strangeness — a sea that includes a bizarro-world version of Margo Martindale, a pop song called "Prickly Muffin," and a character who's literally three children standing on each other's shoulders. There are so many background jokes and one-liners and silly animals that the show's emotional depth caught me by surprise, and I didn't pick up on it in the first few episodes. Over the course of the 12-episode season, though, the pattern emerged over and over; jokes and sorrow, jokes and sorrow. When BoJack appears on a cable news show, the ticker across the bottom includes items like "Milk, milk, lemonade, around the corner — gentrification?," "UN declares war good for absolutely nothing, says it again," and "AIDS still a thing." And then, buried among these gems, is "I wanted to write novels, you know." Everywhere you turn, someone's struggling. A horse sitcom actor. A ghostwriter who's worried she's not making a difference. A nameless, faceless entity typing out the tickers for cable news shows. Everybody, maybe.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Sep 11, 2014

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

CRINDY posted:

It looks like turnaround time between seasons for most of the high-profile Netflix original series has been around a year. House of Cards needed a year and two weeks, Hemlock Grove needed 15 months, OITNB did it in eleven months. The animation isn't exactly the most complicated thing in the world and Variety's initial report of its S1 pickup was December 2013, implying a turnaround time of eight to twelve months for the first run - I think this is about par for the course in terms of preparing for season two.

On top of that, Raphael Bob-Waksberg even tweeted that they're shooting for Summer 2015. It looks like Shadowmachine Films -- who used to do all the Adult Swim stop-motion shows -- does the animation themselves and doesn't farm anything out to Korea, so that would keep turnaround times down.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Sep 12, 2014

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

pentyne posted:

What do you expect from that guy who enthusiastically agreed to play a "Olberman-like whale news anchor"?

I even had a post upthread showing that he changed his Twitter avatar to Tom Jumbo-Grumbo. It's fun to watch him pick fights with people who violently disagree with his views while he's represented by a serious-looking whale in a suit. (It's even funnier since he's become enamored with the phrase "Bye, Felicia" as of late.)

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Naet posted:

edit: I'm writing a lot of words about a show with a horseman protagonist. I feel like Tom Haverford. "A piece of art caused me to have an emotional reaction. Is that normal?"

I just find it hilarious that you're calling it "Hollywoo".

Seriously, that's a great read and I feel inferior for not having picked up on it to begin with.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Of everything to talk about with BoJack Horseman, why am I so obsessed with how much Keith Olbermann loves it?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Raphael Bob-Waksberg and Lisa Hanawalt are jumping onto Reddit in about 20 minutes for an AMA.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I just decided to toss an episode on to fill some time and ended up rewatching the whole front half of the show. It's really worth a rewatch once you know the direction the show is going. It's too bad that most of the reviews out there are of the first half of the show without the ending.

I recently found myself doing my own rewatch; I actually blazed through 1 to 8 and then had to stop for a long while because I just didn't want to go through 9 again. (I didn't want to go through 10 either, but that's because it's my least favorite episode of this batch). But I picked it back up a few days ago, gritted my teeth through those two episodes, and got my rear end kicked all over again by "Downer Ending" and "Later."

Something that's not given enough props in this thread: That Teagan and Sara song at the end was a masterstroke. They took a song about loving a boyfriend, and turned it into something about the desperation to connect with others on a deeper level, reflecting BoJack's revelation (however temporary) that even with everything he ever wanted, he's still a lonely, deeply unhappy individual.

And it drops right after he learns that he's someone's hero. Killed me.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

nooneofconsequence posted:

There's something you might not know about Tegan and Sara.

:doh: Totally forgot. Not that it matters, just makes the context a little different.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Jose posted:

No wonder I recognised it. The show is really good and I hope it gets another season. I've been recommending it to everyone I can

They got it. They're shooting for this summer.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
I'm glad your parents are dead and they're never coming back. :3:

This might actually be a really good barometer episode to determine whether or not someone would like the show.

EDIT: "FIRE THAT JEWWWWW!"

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Dec 19, 2014

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

The Time Dissolver posted:

Is "Bradley Hitler-Smith" a new joke or a callback?

Not in the show proper, but Netflix released the opening to Horsin' Around at the same time, and the name was in there.

I may be misremembering, but I think Raphael Bob-Waksberg mentioned that we might be seeing the other two kids at some point. The way Bradley kept bombing his catchphrase would be a good way to set up a "vengeful loser" character down the road...

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Hipsters and cinema nerds, this thread bump is for you:

Rian Johnson, via Twitter, posted:

I can FINALLY officially announce that the rumors were true... yes, I will be a GUEST VOICE ON S2 of @BoJackHorseman! Thrilled beyond words.

https://twitter.com/rianjohnson/status/576070072290058240

For those who don't know, Johnson became an indie film darling with Brick (which also helped make Joseph Gordon-Levitt a big drat deal post-3rd Rock From the Sun), and he managed to parlay that success into directing Star Wars Episode VIII.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Oh, almost forgot: Johnson directed Breaking Bad's "Ozymandias".

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Aye Doc posted:

I think the only timeframe they've given so far is "sometime in 2015"

Actually, Summer 2015 they were shooting for. I imagine it'll appear in August.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Hey, apparently Raphael Bob-Waksberg answered some questions about BoJack on Tumblr some time ago.

In addition to some long pieces about how the show is written, how it's cast, and the general idea behind Season 2, you can also learn where Bradley Hitler-Smith came from.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Mar 25, 2015

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Binge responsibly: http://www.netflix.com/WiPlayer?movieid=80046224&trkid=200109584

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Have another poster:

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Propaganda Machine posted:

Speaking of the art, something benign and very :spergin: I noticed:

Bojack's coloring is a sort of patchy watercolor, which the rest of the animals are fully saturated, like the humans. What does it mean :tinfoil:

It means he has horsehair.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Alan Sepinwall and Dan Fienberg reviewed the first 6 episodes of season 2 on their podcast and lost their drat fool minds for it. Some plot details they dropped:

•Lisa Kudrow's character has been in a coma for 30 years; she woke up, and is now a network TV executive.
•Vincent Adultman has nearly a full episode devoted to him.

•Neither of these sound like they should work, but they do, based on Dan Fienberg openly questioning whether or not this was the best show on the air. (He later walked that back and admitted he could say that about a dozen other currently running shows, putting BoJack in company with Bob's Burgers and Orange is the New Black.)

You seriously should listen to that podcast if you want to get hyped. You know this show left an impression on them because they quite literally crack up as they talk about it, both because they're remembering funny aspects of the show and because they're completely awestruck at how a show this absurd can be so effective and "almost beautiful."

I think I'm gonna keep this thread open and link to the start of Season 2 discussion in the OP. We all good with that?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Here's Sepinwall's print review of the first six episodes. There are a handful of other spoilers, including one I wish I experienced cold. A rundown:

I must have misinterpreted something on the podcast: there is NO full Vincent Adultman episode, he's just a big part of the show's 4th episode, which explores the difficulties within the various romantic relationships of the show.
At some point (Herb Kazzaz's funeral?) BoJack reunites with the entire Horsin' Around cast.
The big lunch between BoJack and his mother happens in the first episode, and it sounds brutal. He shares a line that I will not repeat here because seriously, what the gently caress, Beatrice?
Episode 5 addresses where meat-based products come from in a world full of sentient animals.
Animal characters that appear in this season: Goose Van Sant, Maggot Gyllenhall.
Human voice actors that appear in this season: Phillip Baker Hall as J.D. Salinger, Craig Kilborn as someone associated with Tom Jumbo-Grumbo (marking a SportsCenter reunion between him and Keith Olbermann).

Can't goddamn wait. I'm gonna be out late anyway seeing Ant-Man, so I just might stay up for this.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
EDIT: Sorry, meant to post this in another thread.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
BTW, while I'm thinking of it, let's brush up on Netflix spoiler rules.

As simple as I can make it: for the next 72 hours -- from pretty much now until 12:01 AM Pacific on Monday, July 20 -- mask everything relating to specific content from the show. "Episode 7 was amazing" is not a spoiler; don't mask it. "I loved BoJack's face after realizing he had drunken grief sex with Todd in episode 7" is a spoiler; mask it. And don't be the guy who tags his spoilers like this. Nobody likes that guy. Be the other guy; the one who tags his spoilers (Ep. 7) like this.

Monday morning on, all outs are in free and you can talk about whatever you want free of tags. But until then, just follow the rules.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jul 19, 2015

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

AKMoose posted:

I think this is very sensible and a good rule, but it does contradict what the TV IV Standards and Practices threads says.

Whether or not it does, I parsed these rules from Deadpool himself, so blame him. (Or thank him, whatever.)

I'll totally add it to the OP though.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Well that's episode 1 of the new season down, and, uh...

...poo poo.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Episode 2: "Okay, what if we got relevant superstar David Copperfield to make the World Trade Center disappear?"

<awkward silence>

"Ohhh I hate to be the one to tell you this, but...David Copperfield really isn't a big draw anymore."

Holy loving poo poo.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

In It For The Tank posted:

(Episode 3) Holy poo poo that got dark. It never stopped being funny though.

"The future is bright. Just look at it."

I don't know how this show can give me a better thread title by Sunday but I'm sure as poo poo not gonna be surprised.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Hey, I'm gonna edit my posts in a second, but I just wanted to give you a heads up: I made a mistake doing the math on the spoiler rules. 72 hours is up on MONDAY morning, not tomorrow morning. So keep things tagged until then.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
^^^Hi, yes, I have enough information from this post to figure out what you're all talking about, when it happens, and how things play out. USE YOUR TAGS.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Dolash posted:

I found it a little weird they weren't willing to have the characters say the Hippo had sexually abused his assistants. They made a point in the episode that everyone was dancing around actually saying the allegations but then when Diane steps up to say it outright the show cuts away.

What made it especially bad is that this unwillingness to engage with the actual weight of a rape accusation contributes to the very silence and permissiveness the show is trying to criticize. I feel like someone in the writing room said "We can't have Diane say rape, because if Bojack looks like he doesn't really care about rape that's too far and we'll lose the audience." But that's the unfortunate reality on the show, just as it is in real life - that the Hippo can get away with his abuse because all anyone wants to talk about is how the story's affecting media perception.

They want to keep the focus on the character relations, I get it, and Bojack standing up for Diane when passers-by insult her and trying to convince her that pursuing the story is bad for her career is meant to seem supportive. The problem is the rape accusations they're dancing around, if directly addressed, would (or should) completely overshadow whatever Bojack and Diane have to say to each other. Bojack discussing how his feelings were hurt by Diane's book and deciding he should support her as a friend is disconnected from the seriousness of the crime Diane is trying to raise awareness of. The show's used real issues as plot devices to prompt character interactions before, but even if the writers seem uncomfortable with the way they turned sexual abuse into a macguffin.

[...]

I still liked the episode and especially for trying to tackle such heavy subject matter, but there's still some points worth discussing.

The little ending scene was really well done, though. Really captured the futility.

I'm not finished with the season yet so I'm gonna be ducking right back out after I post this, but I don't think it was necessarily about the writers being afraid to mention the word "rape." We all know what "the allegations" are, we're not idiots, the whole Juneau tour stop was pretty much word for word how Hannibal Buress got everyone looking at Cosby. I think the question is "Did we need anybody to say out loud that it was rape?" None of the POV characters are arguing that it wasn't rape. Nobody's painting the hippo in shades of grey; his meeting with Diane wasn't about "Look I'm a good person who made some mistakes," he was there to tell her to gently caress off and to enjoy the end of her career. So if it's clear that the hippo is a bad guy and that he raped his assistants, then why do we need it said out loud?

Honestly, I think the word "rape" means a lot of different things to a lot of people, and there are a shocking amount of dumbasses out there who believe rape is bad, but has a very narrow definition, and that women often throw the word around with impunity in order to victimize men: "Well, maybe she was asking for it." "She doesn't have any memory of it, so how can we trust what she says?" I think not using the word "rape" is a clever way to get past all that (obviously insane) baggage and keep on target: "This manhippo has clearly victimized his assistants and has not faced justice for it." And I think that's ultimately gonna do more to change some minds on the issue (or at least plant a seed) than using a word that a few psychotic fuckers have managed to get people to dismiss outright.

(You do have a good point about the way Todd's plot intersected with the whole thing, though; it's why I didn't quote it.)

PostNouveau posted:

Buttttttt yeah, the plot itself wasn't believable at all since we just saw Bill Cosby become a total pariah in the span of about a week.

I think the difference between Cosby and the hippo whose name I've clearly forgotten is that Hannibal Buress was the one to call out Cosby. I think if, say, Aparna Nancherla called him out in the same way Hannibal did, there's a better chance that she'd be ignored and possibly even stigmatized, and that "We're here to enjoy my gift" wouldn't take on a horrifying double meaning.

Okay, like I said, I can't come back until I've finished the show, which might be some time because loving Jesus they're laying on the hurt, and I haven't even hit episode 11 yet. So for anybody responding, don't be surprised if you don't hear back right away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Yeah, I liked the ending of season 1 better than season 2, but that's because season 2 left me nodding in appreciation while Season 1 left me unable to move for about ten minutes.

I, uh, I don't think I can add much just yet, except maybe to echo that the editing and delivery on "ELIJAH WOOD?" was deadly and amazing.

Thanks for the title change, Deadpool. Hope everyone likes it.